g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

"Up to 11 players now want to leave United after becoming disillusioned with life at the club."

Ixion

Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Martial, DVB, Henderson, Baily, Cavani, Ronaldo all seem like safe bets to be gone next season but I worry you're left with Maguire, AWB, Shaw, Rashford, Sancho, McTominay to build from for the foreseeable future and they're all part of the problem, we could do to lose a couple of that group too as I think some of the attitude problems stem from that group.

Big job to sort the squad out while also addressing the midfield problem and Ronaldo/Cavani going.

crossy1686

career ending
We should've sold Lingard in the summer no doubt about that. I don't know why Ole always wanted a big squad, he never used it!
Convinced Lingard he'd get minutes this season then hasn't played him, I honestly don't know what the feck he was playing at. Was he just too scared to tell him he wasn't needed anymore? Was it just the confrontation he didn't like? Anyone that knows Scandinavians knows the extreme's they will go to, to not have a 'difficult' conversation.

kirk buttercup

They want all the benefits without actually having to work for them. Do they not watch other teams? There is a reason teams above them are doing well, they work their socks off.
not even just the teams above them , recently Norwich , Watford and Wolves to name a few outplayed them because they worked their socks off. They are just lazy and overpaid. Good luck to them no other Club would give them half what we give them for phoning it in. Good Riddance.

davidmichael

Think we saw in the last CL game that the youngsters aren't ready unfortunately.
Of the youngsters only Elanga and Traore started then Shoretire and Mengi were given half hour but it was mostly reserve and back up players they were playing alongside and in a game with nothing on the line as we’d already topped the group.

Garner and Laird have impressed out on loans and certainly wouldn’t do a worse job in their positions than the players playing in the same roles currently, wasn’t Garner in the team of the season in The Championship last season despite only playing half a season at Forest ? Laird has just been recalled and loaned to the team top of The Championship and Mengi I think has just been loaned out too so these are players that will be better next season.

I know we’ve all said it before but we actually need to hit the reset button on the club as LVG took the club away from what it was then Jose created a massively toxic atmosphere which was followed by Ole being overly friendly with everyone and allowing a lazy and complacent culture to set in so now we have players who believe they’re above the club and bigger than any manager so can down tools and throw the manager under the bus.

From top to bottom right now the club is toxic to the core with a soft underbelly and there’s zero fear from players to perform or other teams to play us. We have zero identity and absolutely no style of play other than some players just doing what they want and others completely lost as they need their hand holding on the pitch so if that means fecking off a large percentage of the squad to reset the club and play young players like Diallo, Garner, Mejbri, Laird and Mengi then so be it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We should've sold Lingard in the summer no doubt about that. I don't know why Ole always wanted a big squad, he never used it!
That's the bloody stupid thing about it, he rarely used his subs until late unless forced into it. They are using 5 subs in Spain, that would make Ole's head explode.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He should let Lingard and Pogba play for the reserves till they run their contract down. Have no issue with them not renewing, but that doesn't mean they should warrant a starting spot.

Cavani I'd keep in the first team as it's a bit different - he was meant to be a 1 year stopgap and was kept on an additional year as he was so useful, and seems to give his all when playing.

crossy1686

career ending
He should let Lingard and Pogba play for the reserves till they run their contract down. Have no issue with them not renewing, but that doesn't mean they should warrant a starting spot.

Cavani I'd keep in the first team as it's a bit different - he was meant to be a 1 year stopgap and was kept on an additional year as he was so useful, and seems to give his all when playing.
I'd tell Pogba to stay in Dubai, don't come back. Lingard can start house hunting in London and Cavani will at least put a shift in between now and the summer.

Foxbatt

RR should come and say that these players are agitating for a move and putting their tools down and not following his instructions. Lets see what happens then? Can you imagine any manager worth his salt accepting this? I mean he has been here for less than 5 league games and the players started fecking around? Bench the lot of them.

evil_geko

I can't be bothered really, with any of them, just clear the whole team and start from scratch.

DomesticTadpole

not even just the teams above them , recently Norwich , Watford and Wolves to name a few outplayed them because they worked their socks off. They are just lazy and overpaid. Good luck to them no other Club would give them half what we give them for phoning it in. Good Riddance.
Just shows how massaging their egos can cause a lot of damage. There will be agents, family, friends all telling them how great they are. Fans don't always help spouting that average players are world class either.

mctrials23

It's hard to understand how people like these get payed the amount they do to show up to work, down tools to get Ole sacked and when they get what they want they start crying 1 month after the new manager has arrived.
You've answered your own question there. Adults are very much like children and professional footballers are closer to children than most adults.

If you let kids get away with bad behaviour they will continue pushing their boundaries. They won't be happier for their lack of boundaries either. Thats where we are at now. Underperforming players who have too much power and still aren't happy and think its everyone elses fault. A manager getting sacked just validates that.

A lot of its basic psychology. If you ask most people earning £50,000 a year if they deserve it and if they earn their money they will say yes. If you ask people that earn £5m a year the same question you will get the same answer. When you ask a team of people how much of the work they all do as a percentage you will probably get about 120%+ when you tally it all up.

I would be amazed if any of these players think they are overpaid and I would be amazed if they blame themselves for successive managers getting the sack.

Eleven-Eighteen

All clubs, when going through periods of success, have had a central person around whom everything revolves and who knows what he's doing. Sir Alex, Wenger, Fiorentino Perez, Klopp, Guardiola, Rummenigge.

Who is ours right now? Fletch?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's infuriating, considering every time there's been talk about player discontent the names always mentioned are the ones he kept around unnecessarily and basically froze out. We've let fringe players create an uneasy atmosphere that seems to have spread throughout the squad. This should be a big lesson to us as a club as a whole.

One small positive is that it should be really easy to get rid of these players, I was worried we'd have a lot just wanting to coast by. But I'd be happy to be rid of most of them.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Don’t think Rangnick is the best option as a coach but I also think Ten Hag would flop if he came in now. The best thing the board could do now is to announce Rangnick will be in charge of football operations from summer and let him strip the rubbish players. If that means putting Maguire, Ronaldo in the u23s to force them out then so be it. I think there needs to a big head to head.

Foxbatt

Just shows how massaging their egos can cause a lot of damage. There will be agents, family, friends all telling them how great they are. Fans don't always help spouting that average players are world class either.
And Gary Neville. Don't forget him. :D

BlueHaze

They want all the benefits without actually having to work for them. Do they not watch other teams? There is a reason teams above them are doing well, they work their socks off.
Exactly, a bunch of spoilt fecks. Worst part is 90% of them have never won anything at the club yet they think they are Cantona or something with these egos.

Foxbatt

Don’t think Rangnick is the best option as a coach but I also think Ten Hag would flop if he came in now. The best thing the board could do now is to announce Rangnick will be in charge of football operations from summer and let him strip the rubbish players. If that means putting Maguire, Ronaldo in the u23s to force them out then so be it. I think there needs to a big head to head.
What do you mean by Ten Hag? Not even Pep would succeed as they will refuse to train the hard way he wants them to train.

Ash_G

Convinced Lingard he'd get minutes this season then hasn't played him, I honestly don't know what the feck he was playing at. Was he just too scared to tell him he wasn't needed anymore? Was it just the confrontation he didn't like? Anyone that knows Scandinavians knows the extreme's they will go to, to not have a 'difficult' conversation.
What I don't get though is that surely you would expect Lingard to sign a contract first rather than us have to convince him that he has a place in the squad. We shouldn't be having to convince a squad player to commit his future to us, in particular when it was unlikely we could really play him much anyway given the competition for his position. Can't see how that sets a good example to others, either you want to be here and fight for a place or you don't. You make an exception to that for a really great player e.g. Messi/Ronaldo, not for a squad player.

Nick7

It’s rather insane that we didn’t sell Lingard, and to a lesser extent Pogba in the summer. Don’t want to put the blame on them, but Lingard clearly wasn’t in the plans, and Pogba wants to leave. We should have sold Van de Beek too as he wasn’t in the plans. We could have reinvested that money and sorted out midfield.

KingCavani

Yeah, they were. Although 4 signings who all turn out to be successes is a long way off. Even longer at a club with such a terrible record in the transfer market.

A world class RW, CB, DM and CF would have completely transformed this team. Although, depressingly, that’s been the shopping list for years. Plus we also needed a better manager.
Nonsense.

Unless your definition of world class is limited to the likes of Lewandowski then no.

This is an atrociously unbalanced mess of a squad which has been playing an unsustainable brand of football for a long time. They're not even playing the same sport as City and Chelsea. Just watch the game on Monday night and look at the technical levels. Shaw, Maguire, AWB, Fred, Rashford - Their form has been more akin to relegation form than title contention.

And saying they needed a better manager is a pretty big disclaimer but even so no manager is fixing this mess without some serious growing pains first. This team was a million miles from title contention and the 2nd place was more down the underachievement of others than it was due to our own quality.

MUFC OK

Tend to take these types of reports with a pinch of salt. Full of easy clickbait comments that write themselves whenever United are in a tough period.
Tbf they have us all talking and clicking, the fan channels are licking their lips as crisis = views/interactions as well.

This wouldnt be a story worth writing at other clubs.

DomesticTadpole

It's infuriating, considering every time there's been talk about player discontent the names always mentioned are the ones he kept around unnecessarily and basically froze out. We've let fringe players create an uneasy atmosphere that seems to have spread throughout the squad. This should be a big lesson to us as a club as a whole.

One small positive is that it should be really easy to get rid of these players, I was worried we'd have a lot just wanting to coast by. But I'd be happy to be rid of most of them.
They need to just take whatever they can get for them, then the buying club might be able to pay a bit more. Then they will be the ones disappointed when they find they have bought a bit of a dud. We have been paying players based on our past success not on the ability of the actual player we are buying. They should have been getting pay rises on trophies won, not on one MOTM performance. It is our own fault we are in this situation. As I said before too many blingy signings instead of players who want to prove themselves who will be ready to listen and learn and earn the right to big money.

Corridor of Uncertainty

It's amazing these players think they have anymore goodwill from the fans left to milk.

A bunch of overpaid and underachieving pricks.

led_scholes

Well most of these players have been bench warming for at least 1,5 years. It is understandable that if they see that the current manager won't play them, they would ask to leave. The problem is why we kept some of these players in the first place. Ole knew that Lingard, Mata and VDB would never feature seriously. So why he kept them? In case, Bruno, Fred, Matic, Mct were all out? That's not a viable or sustainable squad management. We know that Pogba wants to leave the past 3 years? When keep him? The same with Martial and Mata. Why renew Bailly, Williams, Jones contracts? Woodward and Ole have done so much damage in this club, that we should demand most of their wages back.
Even worse, another serious issue is with the players who may not want to leave but they should leave because they are mediocre but paid as amongst the best players in the world: AWB, Maguire, Rashford.

DomesticTadpole

Agree I think he would struggle as well. I love Graham Potter as well, but he would be eaten alive by this lot. They know everything about managing and coaching it seems. If they spent more time training and practicing freekicks, corners etc than playing FIFA we might actually get somewhere.

Devil81

Nobody was willing to buy Pogba off us in the summer and if they did they wanted him cheaper than the club were willing to sell for.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nonsense.

Unless your definition of world class is limited to the likes of Lewandowski then no.

This is an atrociously unbalanced mess of a squad which has been playing an unsustainable brand of football for a long time. They're not even playing the same sport as City and Chelsea. Just watch the game on Monday night and look at the technical levels. Shaw, Maguire, AWB, Fred, Rashford - Their form has been more akin to relegation form than title contention.

And saying they needed a better manager is a pretty big disclaimer but even so no manager is fixing this mess without some serious growing pains first. This team was a million miles from title contention and the 2nd place was more down the underachievement of others than it was due to our own quality.
Very strange take to judge the quality of a squad based on a single fixture but whatever.

Yes, they finished second last season mainly due to other teams under-performing but they still finished second. To me it’s obvious that signing four world class players in the weakest positions of our best XI (and a top manager to improve/develop everyone else) would turn that second place team into potential title contenders. If you disagree, fine. It’s a pipe dream anyway. Getting one big signing right is hard enough. Getting four of them right in a single transfer window is never going to happen.

Foxbatt

It’s rather insane that we didn’t sell Lingard, and to a lesser extent Pogba in the summer. Don’t want to put the blame on them, but Lingard clearly wasn’t in the plans, and Pogba wants to leave. We should have sold Van de Beek too as he wasn’t in the plans. We could have reinvested that money and sorted out midfield.
We should have never bought DVB in the first place if we never going to play him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We should have never bought DVB in the first place if we never going to play him.
We tried to emulate City having a million attackers but without any way of seamlessly fitting them into the team.

macheda14

A lot of these players would have found it to be 'oppressive' under SAF. The same would have happened under Conte.

Eleven-Eighteen

It's kind of nuts that we signed Donny, Cavani, Sancho, Ronaldo, Varane, Telles and ended up worse

Revaulx

We should only employ Dutch managers. They love that sort of thing :)

OldSchoolManc

Most of our players can’t be arsed with the idea of working hard and fighting to win.
Spent far too long being mollycoddled.
Won’t be sad to see the back of most of them to be honest.

MUFC OK

It's kind of nuts that we signed Donny, Cavani, Sancho, Ronaldo, Varane, Telles and ended up worse
Mctominay still locking down the midfield.. How can you ever expect to control games against anyone other than the bottom 3 (except newcastle)?

Smores

What a mess to step into, good job it's an interim in a way.

These reports are probably bullshit but it's nothing that hasn't been discussed on here for some time. We have too many unhappy players in the camp and have for some time, we need to get them out get a few players in and rebalance the team and atmosphere.

People moaned when we had threads complaining about some of these players attitudes but this is why.

choccy77

Delusional statement if I ever saw one. Hasnt been the best player the last 3 years.
The guy is better than anything we've seen at Old Trafford in a decade or more.

If you can't see that, then you need a trip to specsavers.

The guy doesn't need to perform for 90 minutes.

Fact is, 9/10 the guy is such a threat, he will win games from nothing a lot of the times, which he has already done and will do.

Only Cavani, looks almost as dangerous at times.

tomaldinho1

Yeah, you wonder if it is a bit of a who blinks first situation. Who can be get rid of first, players or manager. The fact Murtough got him in and admires him, the players might be on a hiding to nothing this time.
It’s also a necessary evil that’s being done now, rather than in the summer. He entire point of RR is supposed to be essentially setting the club up for a good managerial hire at the end of the season, if that means absolutely purging the dressing room to allow whoever comes in as good a chance as possible and a lot of wages/transfer money to play with then it’ll be a master stroke.

A lot of this is rational when you remove the emotion, do you see Ronaldo, Cavani, Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Matic, Mata being key players for United beyond, potentially, this season. It’s a categorical ‘no’ and there are some huge egos, influences and names in that list who will be doing all they can to preserve their ‘brand’ and wages.