Upgrading our RW/RM

Stojan Stamenic

Bernardo Silva. He has pace, he has vision, can play both as a typical winger and also as a wide playmaker on the right. Could be great in line with Mkhitaryan a AMC and Martial on LW.

Steven7290

Douglas Costa can play at an incredible level on both flanks, is at the perfect age (26), and there might be a chance to sign him in the summer from Bayern.

Sample for RW at Shakhtar:

Sample for LW at Bayern:

Ideally, we should aim for one of the best (he comes across as a better and more proven traditional winger than Mahrez), and has good European experience, too - 50+ CL and Europa League appearances. Plus, he's actually fast - like one of the fastest players in the world (on the ball) level fast, and has crazy technique even at that warp speed. Could be what Di María initially promised to be at United. Played with Mkhitaryan for a couple season, too, IIRC, so there might be some residual chemistry there.

EDIT: Aha!

http://shakhtar.com/en/news/27119
Why is there a chance we might get him? Does Bayern have a surplus number of wingers of his quality? I know Coman is nowhere near, Robben and Ribery are at the wrong side of age, Gotze left so unless there is something else I don't think anyone would get him, let alone us.

Wouldn't be against Mahrez though, he maybe cheaper than he would have cost last year and got the potential to grow.

Edit: Gotze left :(

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Eventually, yes. What would be great is to take off Zlatan for him after we go 3 up or so and keep using him there for a while. He should be used like kelechi who comes in primary as an striker.
Eventually, so just don't play him until then? How often do we go 3 up? Very rarely, you'd rather Rashford only got to play a couple hundred minutes over the season than the current 1600 he has? Kelechi has only got to play half of the time Rashford has. How is giving him half the playing time going to be better for his development? He has got to play up top a few times in the absence of Zlatan but that simply isn't enough time and Rashford is too good to be sitting on the bench the whole time when he can offer something from the wings as well. A position he has played for much of his life.

ash_86

Bernardo Silva. He has pace, he has vision, can play both as a typical winger and also as a wide playmaker on the right. Could be great in line with Mkhitaryan a AMC and Martial on LW.
Bernando Silva will be my other choice too. He's been amazing and is very quick.

Jaybomb

No. Mata must play every game.

We play our best football with him and he always contributes to a goal.

No idea why some people want him out of the team so badly. No pace/defence? Thats rubbish. His workrate is brilliant for us. Much better than when he was at Chelsea. I wouldn't even swap him for Ozil, Silva or De Bruyne. Those guys don't perform in the big games as much as Juan does.

ash_86

Eventually, so just don't play him until then? How often do we go 3 up? Very rarely, you'd rather Rashford only got to play a couple hundred minutes over the season than the current 1600 he has? Kelechi has only got to play half of the time Rashford has. How is giving him half the playing time going to be better for his development? He has got to play up top a few times in the absence of Zlatan but that simply isn't enough time and Rashford is too good to be sitting on the bench the whole time when he can offer something from the wings as well. A position he has played for much of his life.
All valid points. My only fear is, he may lose the knack of playing as a ST. We tried playing martial up top couple of games back and he was clueless, became better once he was switched to the wings. Most would have predicted Martial to do good up top.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
All valid points. My only fear is, he may lose the knack of playing as a ST. We tried playing martial up top couple of games back and he was clueless, became better once he was switched to the wings. Most would have predicted Martial to do good up top.
He'll lose the knack of playing as a ST sitting on the bench all season too. Martial has always been better on the wing.

leontas

Thomas Lemar, Douglas Costa or Bernardo Silva. Probably not a bad idea to raid that AS Monaco team.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Bernardo Silva or Gelson Martins would probably be good shouts.

ChaddyP

Mata's intelligence, off the ball movement, finishing, first touch and passing are exceptional and make. up for his lack of pace. Not everyone needs to be a speed demon especially when teams are parking the bus anyway. Right wing is the least of our problems.

Devil may care

If Mkhi plays as a #10 then Griezmann will play from the right, or it will be vice-versa, our width on that flank is provided by the fullback in Valencia and hopefully next season Semedo, we'll keep using an inside forward there IMO.

Mr Smith

We need actual wingers. Sick of all these number 10s shoehorned out wide.
There aren't that many actual wingers left in the game. This is the era of inverted wingers and wingbacks. Wingers of the mould of Valencia or Giggs in their prime are extremely rare these days.

PepsiCola

No. Mata must play every game.

We play our best football with him and he always contributes to a goal.

No idea why some people want him out of the team so badly. No pace/defence? Thats rubbish. His workrate is brilliant for us. Much better than when he was at Chelsea. I wouldn't even swap him for Ozil, Silva or De Bruyne. Those guys don't perform in the big games as much as Juan does.
Apparently his lack of size and pace mean he's a coward and too easily shrugged off the ball, or something.

Even though he was only dispossessed twice against Leicester.

Philadelphian

There aren't that many actual wingers left in the game. This is the era of inverted wingers and wingbacks. Wingers of the mould of Valencia or Giggs in their prime are extremely rare these days.
That's just not true. All it takes is a manager telling his right footed player to play on the right. They are still everywhere. Conversely, there are very few players who can consistently produce as inverted wingers.

wiz4231

I reckon Douglas Costa will end up at man city, he's a pep type of player. If it happens, theyed have Aguero, Costa, Sterling, Jesus, iheanacho, navas and Nolito as forwards, we should put a bid in for Leroy Sane and guarantee him first team football.

Rossa

That's just not true. All it takes is a manager telling his right footed player to play on the right. They are still everywhere. Conversely, there are very few players who can consistently produce as inverted wingers.
That is just flat out wrong. Martial is clueless on the right. Robben has never cut it on the left. Ribery has been mostly awful on the right. There is a huge difference playing as an inverted winger or as an out and out winger. The skillset is completely different. For an out and out winger you need to be really good at running with the ball at high speed and crossing at speed. The exception being Beckham as he could make a perfect cross from the midfield line.

Philadelphian

That is just flat out wrong. Martial is clueless on the right. Robben has never cut it on the left. Ribery has been mostly awful on the right. There is a huge difference playing as an inverted winger or as an out and out winger. The skillset is completely different. For an out and out winger you need to be really good at running with the ball at high speed and crossing at speed. The exception being Beckham as he could make a perfect cross from the midfield line.
So you named Martial, Robben and Ribery. Great, I'll add Eden Hazard for you too. Pep is already switching to standard wingers with speed in Sterling and Sane as his fullbacks aren't good enough to contribute. It's the same problem for us and we just aren't switching. Pedro brings incredible balance to Chelsea from the right. Same with Mane for Liverpool. We have a player in Rashford that could bring that element to our team while keeping Martial on the other side.

Look at the fullbacks that play on the outside of Robben, Ribery, Ronaldo, Bale, Messi, Neymar, etc. Our FBs don't belong in the conversation with any of them. If we had better attacking FBs then I would agree with you so we need to fix one or the other or both to have a balanced attack.

No one wants to criticise Valencia because people here seem to be unable to criticise someone who 'puts a good shift in' and 'takes up good positions' no matter what their end product is.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
If Griezmann comes then Mkhi will play there. I think we should go all out for Ousmane Dembele though, nailed on future Ballon d'or winner.
Is that Dortmund's Dembele, the one they paid shitloads for?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In my opinion the best choice and the dream choice would be Ousmane Dembele.
The problem is that Dembélé chose Dortmund for a good reason and he isn't going to change his plans in the near future.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Costa Greizmann Mahrez
Mkhi

Would be an electric counter attacking front 4 in all fairness.

I think people have been overly harsh on Mahrez. He's not been the same as last season admittedly but his overall game still has a lot of class to it. He beats players for fun and he's good nice passing and good finishing ability.. and he genuinely is a proper winger with a wingers mentality.

I wouldn't mind him as a bench option but agree that if we can go out there and get better then do it.

For me one inverted winger and one who goes round the outside is a good mix to have. But beggars can't be choosers and we need just some proper widemen.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's not been the same because last year was a freak season and his tallies before hand were a handful of goals in Ligue 2.

Walters_19_MuFc

I mentioned this in a couple of posts yesterday. Mahrez, despite not having the best season, is still quality. He can score goals, create goals, gets by players - the lot. With Valencia bombing around him to create that attacking overload, which he doesn't have at Leicester, means that he'll have more space to cause damage.

If not him, then we should test Arsenal's resolve for Alexis Sanchez. Like Van Persie was, Sanchez is nearing his last year of his contract. He doesn't look entirely happy at the club and could possibly do with a new challenge. Again, like Mahrez, he has more or less everything and more. As well as the goals, assists and ability to get past players, he has blistering pace to go with it.

CM

Dembele would've been fantastic but can't see him going anywhere for the foreseeable, unfortunately.

djdhrubs

In my opinion the best choice and the dream choice would be Ousmane Dembele.
I do wonder why he moved so cheaply when every man and his dog was talking him up last summer. Definitely something suspicious going on there.

The problem is that Dembélé chose Dortmund for a good reason and he isn't going to change his plans in the near future.
Out of interest, what exactly is that good reason? Is the pressure sufficiently off at Dortmund for him to play with some freedom? Did he feel he wasn't ready to play as a first team regular for a big club with high expectations?

Jaybomb

Apparently his lack of size and pace mean he's a coward and too easily shrugged off the ball, or something.

Even though he was only dispossessed twice against Leicester.
We don't need pace. We need quality. Mata is a much better option than most pacey wingers in the Prem who have no end product.

I don't know what he has to do to convince some people hes one of our best players. The stats speak for themselves. If theres one player i'd want starting a Champions League final for us, its Juan Mata.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Out of interest, what exactly is that good reason? Is the pressure sufficiently off at Dortmund for him to play with some freedom? Did he feel he wasn't ready to play as a first team regular for a big club with high expectations?
I don't really know but he was apparently willing to forget about his signing bonus.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I wouldn't call 15 million € 'shitloads'. :smirk:
Hmm, I seem to remember reading that it could triple with clauses or something, thought it was quite a bit by Dortmund's standards. But I may have been drunk and/or reading a shite source. :smirk:

Gerald G

I still prefer a 3 man midfield. So Mkhi on the right & Martial on the left. We just need a proper midfielder to replace Carrick.

Steven7290

I do wonder why he moved so cheaply when every man and his dog was talking him up last summer. Definitely something suspicious going on there.

Most likely an environment for youth opportunities at the more or less highest level