Upgrading our RW/RM

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
There aren't that many actual wingers left in the game. This is the era of inverted wingers and wingbacks. Wingers of the mould of Valencia or Giggs in their prime are extremely rare these days.
They're still out there, and I'd rather see us sign one of them than another number 10 in wingers clothing, then watch us all act shocked when he plays like he's out of position.

Macern

Pee pee pants
We should go all in for Costa. Or Dembele. Bale would be too expensive since we're signing Griezmann.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It was to do with agents and Dortmund putting pressure on him I think. Saw this headline on the Guardian the other day but could t be bothered reading the article.

www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/24/ousmane-dembele-rennes-borussia-dortmund-agents-release-clause?clien
Yeah, it was supposedly due to agents and Dortmund but instead of taking one of the many other offers, he was willing to ignore his signing bonus and ditch his agent, there is a reason for that and that wasn't money.

Womp

idiot
We should go all in for Costa. Or Dembele. Bale would be too expensive since we're signing Griezmann.
Does he have a release clause? If not, he won't be much cheaper than Bale. He's just about guaranteed to be one of the World's best if he stays injury free and keeps improving.

Jaybomb

Unless we get Griezmann, Bale or even someone like Hulk (who I think would be brilliant in the Prem under Mourinho), I don't think we need to sign one.

Mata and Mkhi interchanging produces good football. I want both of them in the Starting 11 every week and the prospect of signing someone like Alexis or Mahrez or Willian doesn't excite me. Good players but I don't think they would fit United.

Its a shame Di Maria had to be a little snake cause he would be perfect in this Mourinho team.

ricky-romeo

not saying he is a RW and should be playing there but rashford from a brief time playing on the right did whipped in some great crosses.

Drz

Well seems like the solution from the FM2002 school of thought is to buy buy buy.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
not saying he is a RW and should be playing there but rashford from a brief time playing on the right did whipped in some great crosses.
Also he looked more capable dribbler playing on the right wing, he used his pace to beat the full back from outside many times.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
--------Naingolan----Pogba-------
Mkhitaryan------------------Martial
--------------Griezmann------------
--------------Ibrahimovic--------------

Reserve

---------Herrera-------TFM---------
Mata--------------------------Lingard
---------------Pereira-----------------
---------------Rashford--------------

Alltough I would prefer to have Griezmann and Rashford linked up as a first team choice but Zlatan would never settle for that role in the team and Mourinho will not get rid either.

dichinero

Dembele first or Bernardo Silva.

Disagree with the calls for Rashford, on either wing. Not good enough

An Irish Red

If we switch to a 4-2-3-1 like everyone expects then we'll probably play Griezmann central (if he comes) with Mkhitaryan on the right wing.

We should really make signing Dembele from Dortmund a priority whenever he is willing to leave though.

Womp

idiot
How much would Mbappe be available for? He's strong, fast and technical, seems exactly the type of player Jose would love.

Nick.

Wouldn't you get overrun with that double pivot? Plenty of power but I think your back four wouldn't be shielded very well.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm an admirer of Bellerin. Not sure he's that good defensively, but I'd take an attacking fullback over a defensive one, especially useful for breaking down teams.

davidmichael

If we sign Griezmann then Mhkitaryan will play on the right, how else are both meant to get in the team otherwise ? If we were to sign Dembele then there's no need for Griezmann as Mhkitaryan would play 10 with Mata as back up for either right side or 10.

Also don't think we should be playing Rashford on the left or right as he's going to be a striker therefore needs playing time there, Zlatan can't play every game so use Rashford through the middle so he can grow into the role of main striker.

Nick.

Even if we do sign Dembele it wont be this Summer. He joined Dortmund because he wanted to develop and become a better player so I suspect he'll be there for a few years.

prtk0811

Lucas Moura Fits that profile the best as he suits the philosophy and is fast direct counter attacker with goals in him. Felipe anderson also comes close .

joedirt87

Jose could always push Valencia forward if he were to sign a new right back.

johanovic

Reserve

---------Herrera-------TFM---------
Mata--------------------------Lingard
---------------Pereira-----------------
---------------Rashford--------------

Alltough I would prefer to have Griezmann and Rashford linked up as a first team choice but Zlatan would never settle for that role in the team and Mourinho will not get rid either.
Agree with your assement but I would also like a right winger like Dembele at Dortmund that can take players on and win 1x1 situations. Mkhitaryan for me is best behind the striker and Ibra will at most be staying here one more season. Griezman or Aubameyang in front of Miki with Dembele on the right would be very flutent and exciting to watch.

SomeRandomPerson

Douglas Costa can play at an incredible level on both flanks, is at the perfect age (26), and there might be a chance to sign him in the summer from Bayern.

Sample for RW at Shakhtar:

Sample for LW at Bayern:

Ideally, we should aim for one of the best (he comes across as a better and more proven traditional winger than Mahrez), and has good European experience, too - 50+ CL and Europa League appearances. Plus, he's actually fast - like one of the fastest players in the world (on the ball) level fast, and has crazy technique even at that warp speed. Could be what Di María initially promised to be at United. Played with Mkhitaryan for a couple season, too, IIRC, so there might be some residual chemistry there.

EDIT: Aha!

http://shakhtar.com/en/news/27119
Would genuinely absolutely love this. Him, Mkhitaryan and an in-form Martial (fingers crossed on Mourinho getting that one right) playing as the three behind Ibrahimovic with Pogba in midfield (though you'd probably need an absolute monster next to him in the middle, someone who'll eat up every opposition attack and be competent enough to get the ball forward, Steven Nzonzi perhaps?). That would probably be the most exciting United team since the Rooney-Ronaldo-Tevez one.

Though I think Jose would need to do some work with them because we seem to have absolutely no idea how to get the ball from defence to attack till we score the first goal and the game opens up a bit.

All probably a pipe dream though. With Robben and Ribery getting on, there's no way Bayern would sell. Would Kingsley Coman be a more realistic option?

Ideal choice
Looks like a David Silva type player. Clearly outrageously talented but if we get him, would you rather not have him central and Mkhi wide right?

Rossa

Lucas Moura Fits that profile the best as he suits the philosophy and is fast direct counter attacker with goals in him. Felipe anderson also comes close .
I wouldn't mind Lucas Moura. I think he could step up his game as well - he has all the tools. Blistering pace, decent shot and a pretty good delivery. Not sure how well he works against teams that park the bus though - and there are quite a few.

RedMaestro

I wouldn't mind Lucas Moura. I think he could step up his game as well - he has all the tools. Blistering pace, decent shot and a pretty good delivery. Not sure how well he works against teams that park the bus though - and there are quite a few.
Maybe it's just me but from the games I've seen him in he seems a little to "selfish" - rather than trying to pass a player in a better position he takes a shot. Besides, PSG bought him for a lot of money, with gained experience his price will surely be unrealistical.

Rossa

Maybe it's just me but from the games I've seen him in he seems a little to "selfish" - rather than trying to pass a player in a better position he takes a shot. Besides, PSG bought him for a lot of money, with gained experience his price will surely be unrealistical.
I haven't watched him that much in all honesty, but every time I have he has been quite impressive. He's pretty much one of few proper right wingers around in the Kanchelskis mould - very fast, very direct. He may need to be less selfish - I don't know.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Greizmann
Costa Mkhitaryan Silva
that is a EPL winning front four.

DatGuyRich

Lucas is average. Douglas Costa has had an awful season, in fact he was only exceptional for the first half of last season. There's a reason Bayern are getting rid.

Dembele won't leave Dortmund already. Mbappe is a left mid.

Our priority should be signing another world class midfielder before getting in any more attackers.

Pogba and Herrera in a midfield two would be absolute disastrous

prtk0811

Do you know why Sir Alex Ferguson never had a goal scoring problem at man united and against teams who park the bus? Because he adapted his team dynamics accordingly. "Direct" "counter attacking" football with "width" going forward is the answer to the teams parking the bus. The "Directness and counter attacking football" stretches the opponents defense and creates panic and confusion in defenders and the "width" stretches the defense laterally so that defense is not stacked up narrow inside the box. Our current dynamics is not working against bus parking teams because of 2 things.
  1. We play attacking way out from the back so when the defense line is very high and the opponent is forced to drop deeper naturally When in Possession, and the defensive line stays high to press and block the creativity in case we loose the ball and win the ball back quickly in the midfeild itself. Same principles Pep guardiola or LVG used to control the possession of the ball and the game.
  2. In possession We Lack Pace in Our attacking point which we don't have in Zlatan, so there is no threat for opposition defense that zlatan will get one one with the keeper and he fails to stretch their defense and create panic and confusion, and the Wingers do not make direct attacking runs in the space forward off the ball in wide areas but instead cut inside in the attacking midfeild areas forcing the opposition to defend narrow as well as deep while the full backs have plenty of space going forward on both sides and thus the opposition wingers too join the defense out wide so yet the oppositions defense is narrow and deep by that time and we fail to break them. We are playing "Direct football " But due to lack of pace and attacking runs and width we are not playing "counter attacking football with width" which can create panic and confusion in opponents defense.

Parking the bus means defending deep and narrow. Wingers are the best Counter attackers who can carry the ball forward on their own with pace and directness and the width they provide increases the space and time in the box to create a decent chance because they stretch the defense laterally in the box and score a goal. So We definitely require traditional wingers who can carry the ball on their own in a counterattacking move and provide width and also has good service to the striker as zlatan needs service . Make forward attacking runs and attacks the space behind without the ball and also contribute defensively when needed so the high work rate factor is also important .

We missed sadio mane in the summer and i was gutted that we let him join liverpool. His off the ball attacking runs and workrate energy were fabulous also had a decent service in him and goals as well .

Lucas Moura has all the attributes required. Also i Feel we genuinely Require a left winger as well because anthony martial is also not a natural winger for our philosophy. his natural attributes and game are different than a winger would have. And i feel Moura would be available in the range of 30 - 35 m still as psg recently got draxler in his place as well as they have di maria and he would'nt command a fee more than this. Remember we sold di maria fr 10 m less than we bought.

Also if we are to get Griezman in the summer than we would need a left winger as a priority rather than right as Mkh can do a good job on the right where as griezman would do the job Mkh does in the centre

Last edited:

Mani

Both Martial & Mahrez loves to cut in and as a result our attack tend to look more narrow, I would be happy to sign a traditional wing men at one end.
Or move towards 4-3-3 formation and sign Griezmann and play him as wide forward(still that might look like waste of talent) or move towards system without wing men with two free flowing forward at top with diamond in MF with wing support coming from wing backs.

jungledrums

Lucas is average. Douglas Costa has had an awful season, in fact he was only exceptional for the first half of last season. There's a reason Bayern are getting rid.

Dembele won't leave Dortmund already. Mbappe is a left mid.

Our priority should be signing another world class midfielder before getting in any more attackers.

Pogba and Herrera in a midfield two would be absolute disastrous
They are not getting rid. And it seems he doesn't want to leave, he had ulterior motives. As per the daily mail:
"In an interview with TZ, Hoeness claimed Costa's actions were: 'A desperate attempt to get a higher salary. The Bayern present added: 'That doesn't work with us. He can try 10 more times. He is certainly not a hardship case.'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...h-deal-attempts-won-t-work.html#ixzz4YC1qP3Tl

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Both Martial & Mahrez loves to cut in and as a result our attack tend to look more narrow, I would be happy to sign a traditional wing men at one end.
Or move towards 4-3-3 formation and sign Griezmann and play him as wide forward(still that might look like waste of talent) or move towards system without wing men with two free flowing forward at top with diamond in MF with wing support coming from wing backs.
I guess that's just how a 3 man attack works these days. The full backs provide width and play the role of traditional wingers in attack, while the wide forwards cut in to create danger in front of the goal. Playing two wide men on one wing in a 4-3-3 would lead to too much presence on the wings and not enough around the box.

prtk0811

I guess that's just how a 3 man attack works these days. The full backs provide width and play the role of traditional wingers in attack, while the wide forwards cut in to create danger in front of the goal. Playing two wide men on one wing in a 4-3-3 would lead to too much presence on the wings and not enough around the box
If Reports are to be belived we are going to buy griezman . How will a 433 work with grieman zlatan and martial and mkh who all deserves to start.

Mani

I guess that's just how a 3 man attack works these days. The full backs provide width and play the role of traditional wingers in attack, while the wide forwards cut in to create danger in front of the goal. Playing two wide men on one wing in a 4-3-3 would lead to too much presence on the wings and not enough around the box.
We are playing too narrow at the movement and Valencia is only source of stretching it on the right wing and he's not getting any young,in that case we badly need a wing back or right winger.We already got Ibra and presence in the centre is really good atm, Rashford is still young and can carry on from Ibra once he quits again that depends on how well Rashford develops,too me playing through the centre wouldn't be the immediately concern, I would strength my wide men defence and MF.