US Politics

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The problem is that republican's or anyone with a hard right agenda are happy to resort to violence, or aggression but more importantly they all come out to vote and are proactive. The liberals just aren't militant enough and this is the type of issue which might spark mass movement of an unprecedented scale. I think we saw a glimmer of it with the guns issue, but rights to weapons is simply too entrenched for any significant movement to make an impact but putting a potential 'rapist' in as a judge in the supreme court of the USA? if that doesn't spark genuine political unrest I don't know what will.

America is headed for Civil War of some kind if this type of shit just keeps going on - eventually the liberals will rightfully lose their shit.
I'm sure trump is well ahead in planning his execution squads well regulated militia under the guidance of the NRA for such an eventuality... declaring martial war and basically making himself emperor with ivanka his anointed successor

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Any source for that besides the NY Post?

The NY Post is like a less legit Daily Mail
I don't have a source other than I read it on here and saw and heard it mentioned by Senator Grassly yesterday during the hearing.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Someone did a video of all the times he mentioned Beer. It was like 2mins long :lol:
Not saying it will be the number one thing that follows him the rest of his days... :lol:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It was me. I tried to rape her. Lock me up.
Makes no sense at all.
I bet he wears a M.A.G.A hat and hes "taking one for the team"
Probably just an idiot rather than any deep state conspiracy - plus the odds on getting enough evidence up to the standards required in a court of law should he change his plea (and actually be guilty) are virtually zero and of course actually zero if he is just a MAGA idiot so pretty low risk strategy

Boycott

Most bizarre thing for me is that if is this were genuinely a 'coincidence' or a case of mistaken identity like some of the weirdo's on TV were saying when they claimed they believed Dr. Ford but also believed Kavanaugh, there's absolutely no reason at all for Kavanaugh to react and behave like he did. And I'm not talking about the rant blaming the Clintons for everything.

Just how he reacted regarding the allegations makes no sense at all, instead of remaining calm and composed and explaining why this is a complete coincidence and he had nothing to do with it, he pulled just about every defensive trick out of the book. It's just not how an innocent man would react to such heavy accusations if he had truly nothing to do with it.

Opposed to Ford, Kavanaugh also has every motive in the world to flat out lie and deny everything, it really is a matter of losing his whole life, family, career, name and reputation, all in a couple weeks, versus being appointed to the Supreme Court for the rest of his life and having the support of all of the cronies.
Easy to say when it's not you. Look I don't say this in support of him but when you're being accused of being a serial rapist pretty much and have the eyes of millions watching how can you just remain calm and composed. People would talk of psychopathy and toxic masculinity if he just brushed it off like nothing, and when he broke down people criticised his emotional fragility.

The FBI should have been allowed to investigate and this sham rush by the GOP should have been averted until then but that's the fault of the cronies who care about power. They want to rush it since they'll likely be wiped out of their majority in six weeks.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Easy to say when it's not you. Look I don't say this in support of him but when you're being accused of being a serial rapist pretty much and have the eyes of millions watching how can you just remain calm and composed. People would talk of psychopathy and toxic masculinity if he just brushed it off like nothing, and when he broke down people criticised his emotional fragility.

The FBI should have been allowed to investigate and this sham rush by the GOP should have been averted until then but that's the fault of the cronies who care about power. They want to rush it since they'll likely be wiped out of their majority in six weeks.
But all this is unnecessary. If you're innocent, welcome the FBI investigation which will surely clear you.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
But all this is unnecessary. If you're innocent, welcome the FBI investigation which will surely clear you.
Though I could foresee it takes several weeks (if not longer) to do so
By which time they have mid terms
potentially the Democrats have the majority and then even if he was found innocent - well we didn't like the way he responded to questions or some other reason to reject (basically partisan but hey its politics)
So actually perhaps his only (and certainly his best) chance of getting a job he almost certainly wants pretty badly is to get voted in quickly

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Though I could foresee it takes several weeks (if not longer) to do so
By which time they have mid terms
potentially the Democrats have the majority and then even if he was found innocent - well we didn't like the way he responded to questions or some other reason to reject (basically partisan but hey its politics)
So actually perhaps his only (and certainly his best) chance of getting a job he almost certainly wants pretty badly is to get voted in quickly
Sure, I'm more rhetorically asking that other person. He's mega-guilty.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Fundamentally disagree with that. There's a high profile judge very much used to the limelight and media attention, extremely well trained for situations like this. He's put in a scenario where either Ford is delusional and flat out lying, or there's a case of mistaken identity, or Kavanaugh himself is lying when he denied the incident ever happened.

Look at all the examples of high profile court cases where truly innocent people got convicted, preferably from countries where there's no jury involved. When you break it down more often than not they either confessed (usually being forced into after being mentally drained) or they've always maintained their innocence in a very typical and straightforward fashion - very different than the lines of defense Kavanaugh is using.

If this were some random guy with no judicial experience picked from the street reacting like that I might've actually agreed with you. But this is not the case with Kavanaugh. Ignoring the possibility that Dr. Ford was delusional and hallucinating during her testimony, it basically only leaves two options. Either it's a massive coincidental mix up with a case of mistaken identity, or Kavanaugh is lying.

Then we look at the facts and the line of defense. The key witness who could confirm or deny all of this, Mark Judge who was alleged to be in the room when the incident took place, is conveniently missing. Even more convenient is that his written statement claimed he 'had no memory of this alleged incident', which is fundamentally different from denying it ever happened.

There's the problem that certain claims Kavanaugh made yesterday while painting himself as Mr. Perfect have already been refuted by people who knew him, which would mean he was lying yesterday. There's him being asked point blank at least five times about an FBI investigation, to which he refused to answer yes or no. There was the all out and irrational attack on the Clintons and democrats to please Trump.

None of this makes any real sense as a defensive strategy from a truly innocent perspective, whereas everything fitted in perfectly with a man going all-in because it's the only hand he can play and has nothing to lose anymore. Which is very much the case if the incident really did happen.

Minimalist

The more I think about it, the only valid reason republicans have for not believing her is because they think she's lying and/or is acting in front of the world. It's a very cynical position to take but it's understandable at least from that perspective.

All this shite I'm seeing about 'I believe she was abused/raped/hurt but I don't think she's got the right man' doesn't wash at all for me. Given the stakes at play here for both him and for her - I don't think there's a lot of grey area.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They know he's lying. At worst, they know he can't remember cause he was off his head. They don't care.
This is a chance to flip the court for the next few decades. They would put a serial killer there if he guaranteed them that.
The people that think yesterday was monumental or anything are going to be disappointed. Everything in that country is now viewed along partisan lines. There's no turning back. What happened yesterday won't turn the needle one iota.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The point is we shouldn't be surprised that 11 GOP old white Male senators acted in this way. What is depressing is how the public react.

I keep just imagining how much further we'd be as a damn species if that bill about news being news hadn't been overturned in the 90s. (Enabling Fox,and CNN) there's no Trump or Kavannaugh without that propaganda.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Speaking of 11 GOP old white male senators. It always perplexes me that everyone in American politics is so very very very very fecking old. Must smell like death in there.

I mean I have respect for the elderly, but most advice I get from old people is shite. Simply because the world moves on and eventually you will lose touch with developments, since that's simply the way the aging of our brain works.

nickm

They know he's lying. At worst, they know he can't remember cause he was off his head. They don't care.
This is a chance to flip the court for the next few decades. They would put a serial killer there if he guaranteed them that.
The people that think yesterday was monumental or anything are going to be disappointed. Everything in that country is now viewed along partisan lines. There's no turning back. What happened yesterday won't turn the needle one iota.
There are some moments when the sheer cynical corruption of US politics comes into sharp focus, and yesterday was one of those.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can't believe a man with highly credible sexual assault accusations against him is about to be elected President appointed to the Supreme Court.

Fully Fledged

I bet he wears a M.A.G.A hat and hes "taking one for the team"
Probably just an idiot rather than any deep state conspiracy - plus the odds on getting enough evidence up to the standards required in a court of law should he change his plea (and actually be guilty) are virtually zero and of course actually zero if he is just a MAGA idiot so pretty low risk strategy
If he says as much to the FBI though he's at lest got a lying to the FBI charge which can carry a custodial sentence.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Personally, if someone applied for a job where I work and we found out some women accused him of rape we would think, meeeeeeh, let's err on the save side with this guy.

So do we have impossibly high standards or should the supreme court raise theirs?

Always thought it had to be immaculate. Well, nothing immaculate about this cnut, that's for sure.

SqueakyWeasel

Kavanagh being dropped like a hot potato this morning by people and groups that had formerly endorsed him. Not for his guilt but for his refusal to accede to a full investigation for transparency purposes to clear him before the vote.

Reports this morning that The Catholic weekly "American Magazine" are withdrawing their endorsement and probably most damagingly the American Bar Association – the very organisation he quoted in his testimony yesterday as being unanimous in it's support for him.