US Politics

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Trump is eating away at making Congress completely redundant .
It’s probably a good thing long term. If this shitshow of an administration has proven anything, it’s that you can’t run a government on convention and tradition. You need legally strong rules and laws in place so next time a congress try’s to subpoena an administration’s officials they can’t just laugh at them.

Carolina Red

Staff
That's nice. I suppose there is also more communication/collaboration then, or do they just replay the big issues and divides on a local level?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's the sort of thing you can really only learn from people living somewhere. (Happy to answer questions about Canada - that I'm sure you don't have. :lol: )
I would say there’s more productive communication/collaboration going on. Smaller cities and town aren’t immune to partisan issues, but because of the scale of their business, it isn’t at the forefront all the time. Not as many of the big state or national issues trickling down to that local of a level. Now, that said, obviously as you get into the bigger cities, you will see the partisan issues become much more pronounced.

entropy

Not only is this a terrible idea but it makes life even more difficult for those running affordable rehab clinics.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Can’t wait for the Plump admin to start touting the fact that there’s been no school shootings since March.
libertarian/conservative columnist at the economist, bloomberg, and wapo, in april, commentng on the lack of school shootings, uncovers the real reason

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
libertarian/conservative columnist at the economist, bloomberg, and wapo, in april, commentng on the lack of school shootings, uncovers the real reason

She tried to rationalize her logic a bit in the replies, then she just gave up.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is from a couple of years ago. Think it might have been posted in here somewhere earlier.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
This is from a couple of years ago. Think it might have been posted in here somewhere earlier.

When this happens, regardless of party affiliation, religion or race you should realise it's time to stop whatever it is you're doing, and fix your society. I loved living in the US, but am seriously happy not to be there right now, raising a kid in this insanity.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Bet mark fecking meadows and the freedom clowns would be all about deficit for the next four years while cuckolding themselves to the orange moron while bible thumping every Sunday about their spiritual life. fecking inept pricks

Carolina Red

Staff

Yeah we got an email last week from one of our school police officers telling us “hey just a heads up, active shooter drill coming up sometime in the next couple weeks. Be sure you know what to do...”

But the thing is... what we’re supposed to do involves having the kids move to an interior wall away from the door... which we can’t do because of the current Covid rules.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
How can anyone accept that that's part of a normal society?
Haven't you heard? The evangelicals have added a 5th Gospel, the Gospel of Madison. Chapter 2 states they get to have guns, so there is nothing anyone can do. I mean, why should Christians care about the deaths of children, they've already been born so they're on their own now.

GiddyUp

How can American politicians just accept this
Because a very uncomfortable amount of supporters for one of the two political parties in this country think Obama was involved in the massacaring of babies in Newtown as a ploy to take away their dick extensions.

WPMUFC

Bet mark fecking meadows and the freedom clowns would be all about deficit for the next four years while cuckolding themselves to the orange moron while bible thumping every Sunday about their spiritual life. fecking inept pricks
Because democrats give it legitimacy. When democrats bring up the deficit, republicans say "deficits don't matter". When the GOP say that, Pelosi and Schumer shit themselves and say "you're right, that's why all democratic policy will be PAYGO" and want to "reach across the aisle on policy".

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Because democrats give it legitimacy. When democrats bring up the deficit, republicans say "deficits don't matter". When the GOP say that, Pelosi and Schumer shit themselves and say "you're right, that's why all democratic policy will be PAYGO" and want to "reach across the aisle on policy".
You may well be right

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The irony that the biggest spender in the world on weapon fails to guarantee safety of their own toddler.
The right goes crazy for the rights of the fetus right up until it pops out. Helping out after it pops out, not nearly as much or with the same enthusiasm. It’s easy to champion for something that has no voice of its own, it gets a bit messier when it enters into the real world. More expensive, too.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is saying it out loud but if you disagree with universal healthcare, you are saying the same thing.

Drifter

American
Senate Votes 52-47 to Block McConnell’s $500 Billion Coronavirus Stimulus

The Senate on Thursday voted 52-47 to block a $500 billion stimulus package proposed by Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), likely ending hopes that such a deal might pass before the November election.

“My home state just passed a sad milestone yesterday,” McConnell said in a statement Thursday morning in which he called on Democrats to support his measure. “More than 1,000 Kentuckians have now lost their lives to COVID-19. These families I represent are not burying their loved ones because Republicans or Democrats are the enemy. They are burying their loved ones because of this virus. That’s what we are fighting.”

The measure failed along party lines, with the exception of Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), who voted against it. Paul had said he was against more spending on federal stimulus measures, though voting against the legislation also enables him to bring the bill up again under the Senate’s procedural rules.

Democrats argued the measure didn’t go far enough to help Americans ailing from economic shutdowns related to the coronavirus pandemic, seeking instead at least four times more in spending than the amount that would have been authorized under the proposal from Senate Republicans.

In more recent days, they also took aim at McConnell’s proposal for including funds for the coal industry, including for the development of coal-mining technology.

“How pathetic,” Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) wrote Tuesday on Twitter. “While Senate Republicans tell us we can’t afford to give $2,000 a month to the working class during the economic crisis, the COVID-19 ‘relief’ bill they just released provides $161 million in corporate welfare to the coal industry during a climate emergency.”

More than half of the funds authorized by McConnell’s legislation — $258 billion — would have been directed to small businesses to apply for loans under the federal government’s Paycheck Protection Program. Other allocations included $31 billion for the development of a coronavirus vaccine; $20 billion for farm aid; $16 billion for coronavirus testing; and $15 billion for child care providers. It would also have authorized a $300 weekly supplemental payment for unemployed Americans through December 27.

House Democrats led by Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) passed a $3.5 trillion stimulus package in the HEROES Act in May. The Senate declined to act on that measure, which included funding for long-time Democratic wishlist items such as billions in federal aid for state and local governments and up to $10,000 in aid for “economically distressed” student-loan borrowers.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The Dems need to get out ahead and stay ahead in the blame game for this not passing. The GOP will obv try to blame the Dems but they cannot allow that to happen.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I see dem Joe Lieberman is rooting for Susan Collins (republican) in the race for US senator in the state of Maine.
I wonder what’s behind that? What kind of deal has he struck? It can’t just be ideology.

Gideon, the Dem challenger, is well ahead in the polls, last I looked.

Drifter

American
Judges: Trump order to exclude people violates the law

NEW YORK (AP) — A panel of three federal judges said Thursday that President Trump’s order to exclude people in the country illegally when redrawing congressional districts violates the law.

The federal judges in New York granted an injunction stopping the order, saying the harm caused by it would last for a decade. The judges prohibited Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, whose agency oversees the Census Bureau, from excluding people in the country illegally when turning over figures used to calculate how many congressional seats each state gets.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I see dem Joe Lieberman is rooting for Susan Collins (republican) in the race for US senator in the state of Maine.
I wonder what’s behind that? What kind of deal has he struck? It can’t just be ideology.
It's ideology, he refused to endorse Obama who had previously ensured he kept his senate seniority despite leaving the party.