US Politics

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Another place that desparately needs to vote blue to solve this obvious budgetary mess with billions spent on policing.

entropy

Just call them death camps. The word prison doesn’t do justice to what inmates are being subjected to.
To increase social distancing and limit the spread of Covid, CMF had moved 80 people to sleep in outdoor tents instead of indoor cells, but with the fire approaching and air pollution rising, the prison moved them back indoors. Murillo said she now fears a major Covid outbreak inside the prison, and noted that mass evacuations could also spread the virus if people are packed in buses together.

The state has had months to prepare for these overlapping crises and should have released more people sooner, said Adnan Khan, executive director of Re:Store Justice, who was previously incarcerated in the Solano prison. ““It shouldn’t come down to Covid or the fires for us to start releasing people,” he said. “These Band-Aids aren’t going to work. What disaster are we waiting for? Mass incarceration is the disaster.”

Drifter

American
Fox Business host objects after Paul Romer calls Trump advisers 'liars for hire'

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ex RNC Chair Michael Steele has joined the Lincoln Project and denounced Trump.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Ex RNC Chair Michael Steele has joined the Lincoln Project and denounced Trump.
Was it you who said the other day that The Lincoln Project would support a republican in 2024? That gives credence to that idea.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Was it you who said the other day that The Lincoln Project would support a republican in 2024? That gives credence to that idea.
Yeah but it’s no great secret or anything, it’s literally created and run by establishment Republicans who want their party back from Trump. They’re a group of right wingers who are happy enough to support a centre-right candidate over a criminal far right candidate.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Yeah but it’s no great secret or anything, it’s literally created and run by establishment Republicans who want their party back from Trump. They’re a group of right wingers who are happy enough to support a centre-right candidate over a criminal far right candidate.
Ah alright. I wasn't aware it was that much of an establishment thing.

entropy

Ah alright. I wasn't aware it was that much of an establishment thing.
It really isn’t tbh. People will just use any lazy excuse to share their content because they are supposed to be “anti-A Circus Clown”. No one should be associating themselves with these grifters. Especially if you are someone who supports the BLM movement.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

hope they vote out the republicans soon!

Police reforms face defeat as California Democrats block George Floyd-inspired bills

The bills, which met strong resistance from law enforcement groups and some weak-kneed legislators, teetered near the brink of failure on Wednesday.

Among the bills facing an uphill battle or outright defeat:

▪ The Deadly Force Accountability Act (Assembly Bill 1506). This bill by Assemblyman Kevin McCarty, D-Sacramento, would allow local law enforcement leaders and district attorneys to request that the California state attorney general investigate police shootings. But despite the fact that the bill enjoys support from a large coalition of groups, including the NAACP and the California Police Chiefs Association, it has had one very powerful opponent: California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, a Democrat who has repeatedly made it clear that he’s no friend of police reform.

“The AG has a $1.1 billion budget with 4,500 employees and 1,100 attorneys,” said McCarty earlier this month. “If he wanted to, he could prioritize independent investigations for police deadly force. In this historic George Floyd era, we hope he reconsiders.”

▪ Police Decertification (Senate Bill 731). This crucial bill by Steve Bradford, D-Gardena, would allow California to decertify police officers who break the law or engage in serious misconduct. Forty-five states already have the power to do this, but not “progressive” California, where dangerous or criminal officers can simply take their badge and gun and move to another police force. “Criminal Cops,” an investigation conducted by a consortium of California media outlets including McClatchy, highlighted the problem last year.

Bradford blasted fellow lawmakers who hesitated to support his bill despite their public expressions of support for police reform during George Floyd protests.

“We were quick to show up for photo ops, but when it comes to doing the real work some of them are not true believers,” Bradford told the Associated Press. “This shouldn’t be a moment, but a true movement, and I hope they find the courage to do the right thing.”

▪ Police record transparency (SB 776). This bill by state Sen. Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, would increase AB 1185 for law enforcement. It would require departments and agencies to turn over records related to officers accused of racist or discriminatory behavior or who have been repeatedly accused of violating rules to conduct searches or arrests. It would expand on Skinner’s previous bill, SB 1421, which required law enforcement agencies to release records involving shootings and other uses of deadly force. Police groups fought SB 1421 tooth and nail, and some law enforcement leaders refused to comply with the law after it passed, including Attorney General Becerra.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Funny you call it that when massive swaths of it are firmly red.
the only trump/GOP policies that are opposed by neoliberals are his anti-trade statements. he and obama and bush and clinton and hw all follow from reagan, the first neoliberal president.* trump/GOP tax, regulatory, and health care policies all adhere to neoliberal thought.

*though some argue that carter's apopointment of the more subtle but more effective union-buster, paul volcker, make him the 1st.

Drifter

American

Trump is eating away at making Congress completely redundant .

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Funny you call it that when massive swaths of it are firmly red.
Erm - so you think the democratic part is leftist? Or progressive? Or anything but neoliberal? Compared to the Republicans - sure. But that doesn't mean much.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
General question: on the federal level, the level of polarization between Democrats and Republicans seems astonishing to me (who has never lived in the US) and party allegiance (Democrat or Republican) has become almost (fully?) cultist for some people. How does that happen on the State level? Is the discussion any more reasonable? (Just having an actual discussion would already be more reasonable, it seems to me.)

And what about the municipal level, and all the other elected offices that exist in the US? Here in Canada, few cities have actual parties: candidates, including mayors, run on personal platforms nearly everywhere. Especially mayors of major cities usually have prior political experience within a federal or provincial party, but they do not run based on that and it's not really a thing in elections. Is it similar in the US? I have seen sheriffs and others referred to with their party allegiance, but I don't know how common that is.

Basically I am wondering how deeply this Democrat/Republican divide runs in different levels of US politics.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not really. We have teachers voting for a state GOP (that constantly undercuts public education) because of abortion policy.
I can kinda understand that though. Not that I agree, but if you think abortion is the issue of our time, then it comes first. I'm more wondering if there is any level of American politics where either you don't have these two parties (because there is more parties, or because people run as individuals), or if outside the federal level you find collaborative politics more often.

From the outside where I am, I mostly observe the federal level, and it seems the conversation there has nearly completely stopped, so I'm wondering to what extent that now runs through American society.

Carolina Red

Staff
I can kinda understand that though. Not that I agree, but if you think abortion is the issue of our time, then it comes first. I'm more wondering if there is any level of American politics where either you don't have these two parties (because there is more parties, or because people run as individuals), or if outside the federal level you find collaborative politics more often.

From the outside where I am, I mostly observe the federal level, and it seems the conversation there has nearly completely stopped, so I'm wondering to what extent that now runs through American society.
You stop seeing parties next to people’s names once you get to small city and town elections or in elections for positions where party affiliation doesn’t matter. Otherwise, it’s typical to still see D or R next to a name.

In my “city” of about 30,000 people, you typically don’t see a R or D next to the names of city council candidates and things like that.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You stop seeing parties next to people’s names once you get to small city and town elections or in elections for positions where party affiliation doesn’t matter. Otherwise, it’s typical to still see D or R next to a name.

In my “city” of about 30,000 people, you typically don’t see a R or D next to the names of city council candidates and things like that.
That's nice. I suppose there is also more communication/collaboration then, or do they just replay the big issues and divides on a local level?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's the sort of thing you can really only learn from people living somewhere. (Happy to answer questions about Canada - that I'm sure you don't have. :lol: )

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
People typically vote for the lesser evil but that's really not a choice because the outcome will be the same ultimately. A family tree of the presidents would be interesting. The spirit in america is very bad but its no shock. Need to end career politicians and punish treason