US Politics

Halftrack

Y'all, this is SO IMPORTANT! So take a seat folks. Take several seats. After a period of self-care, AOC is sharing her lived experience - and doing so in a space that habitually centers the voices of white men. Gentle reminder that it's not her job to educate you. Trying to gaslight her is simply highlighting your toxicity and fragility. Do better. Now, let's unpack this and speak truth to power...

etc etc

They're just in-group signifiers. It's why every lib suddenly has pronouns in their bio to show that they're part of the cult club.
You okay buddy?

Sweet Square

This language, "space", "hold accountable", "validating", "trauma"... it really rubs me the wrong way. Not making a big point here, just that reading these things makes my skin crawl a bit.
Both of them are super online for better or worse. I don't think they see any difference between their online personality and their private one. AOC was doing a live stream talking about how she feared the capital hill people were going to possibly murder her. It seemed very personal and something you would talk to a friend about or even at therapy, yet she was streaming it. Maybe it's just the Irish catholic side of me but I find the openness some have online very odd.

As for the langue stuff. It's the standard liberal/left sub cultural shite. It makes my skin crawl as well but mostly because it sounds completely alien to the way most people talk. It's watching someone larping as a tankie or talking in klingon, this progressive speak is just as cringey. Also it across as really whiney, Y’all stop invalidating someone experience is very much I demand to see the manager vibe.

Suv666

Y'all, this is SO IMPORTANT! So take a seat folks. Take several seats. After a period of self-care, AOC is sharing her lived experience - and doing so in a space that habitually centers the voices of white men. Gentle reminder that it's not her job to educate you. Trying to gaslight her is simply highlighting your toxicity and fragility. Do better. Now, let's unpack this and speak truth to power...

etc etc

They're just in-group signifiers. It's why every lib suddenly has pronouns in their bio to show that they're part of the cult club.
Ben Shapiro is that you?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
This language, "space", "hold accountable", "validating", "trauma"... it really rubs me the wrong way. Not making a big point here, just that reading these things makes my skin crawl a bit.
That's interesting. I found a bunch of no mark conspiracy theorists storming the Capitol trying to stop the certification of a free and fair election rubbed me the wrong way but to each his own, I suppose.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Not sure if your grievance is with those words in general or whether you felt she overplayed her hand using these words in the context of what she was discussing as they tend to be used more with regards to domestic or sexual abuse... however apparently she also revealed that she had been the victim of a sexual assault years ago and drew comparisons between the way domestic and sexual abusers control victims by telling them it’s easier for everyone if they just move on from it and don’t dwell on the past which just festers resentment and hatred and the way the likes of Cruz, Crawley, Marge-o-green and other Republicans are doing the same regarding Jan 6th and events leading up to it. So I don’t think she was entirely out of touch using those terms.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not sure if your grievance is with those words in general or whether you felt she overplayed her hand using these words in the context of what she was discussing as they tend to be used more with regards to domestic or sexual abuse... however apparently she also revealed that she had been the victim of a sexual assault years ago and drew comparisons between the way domestic and sexual abusers control victims by telling them it’s easier for everyone if they just move on from it and don’t dwell on the past which just festers resentment and hatred and the way the likes of Cruz, Crawley, Marge-o-green and other Republicans are doing the same regarding Jan 6th and events leading up to it. So I don’t think she was entirely out of touch using those terms.
Fair enough, I didn't know all of what she said. My objection was the language, this better than what I wrote:

I taught an in-person class 2 days after the election, and in TA prep we were told, if the election "goes badly", that I could ask students to "take a deep breath together", to tell them that "I'm right there with you", and "I understand if you're not in the right headspace."

There was no way I was doing that. I can't imagine saying those words out loud. As a biology lab teacher I can understand students not being at their best, and I'll be lenient with that. But I don't know these people, what I'm teaching has nothing to do with this, we're generally forbidden from talking politics so I've never spoken to them about it, and the students, if they're indeed mourning, will find better ways to do it privately or with their friends than in this open performative way. I as a student wouldn't want to take a deep breath with a TA to mourn, feck off.

Repress emotions more!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Fair enough, I didn't know all of what she said. My objection was the language, this better than what I wrote:

I taught an in-person class 2 days after the election, and in TA prep we were told, if the election "goes badly", that I could ask students to "take a deep breath together", to tell them that "I'm right there with you", and "I understand if you're not in the right headspace."

There was no way I was doing that. I can't imagine saying those words out loud. As a biology lab teacher I can understand students not being at their best, and I'll be lenient with that. But I don't know these people, what I'm teaching has nothing to do with this, we're generally forbidden from talking politics so I've never spoken to them about it, and the students, if they're indeed mourning, will find better ways to do it privately or with their friends than in this open performative way. I as a student wouldn't want to take a deep breath with a TA to mourn, feck off.

Repress emotions more!
I’m English, I don’t need telling!

InfiniteBoredom

Science bro is dead inside, who would’ve thought?

Re: AOC, it’s worth noting that she said it wasn’t the only time she thought she was going to die since being elected. I would forgive the therapy speak since we don’t know how we would react if we live under constant threats of violence against us and were meters away from those intent on doing us harm.

WPMUFC

Mike Bloomberg Pleads With Biden to Send Kids Back to Class: ‘Teachers Are Just Gonna Have to Suck It Up’

“It’s time for Joe Biden to stand up and say ‘the kids are the most important things,'” Bloomberg said. “And the teachers are just going to have to suck it up and stand up and provide an education. Otherwise, these kids have no chance whatsoever. It is a disaster what’s happening to them.”
https://www.mediaite.com/tv/mike-bl...s-teachers-are-just-gonna-have-to-suck-it-up/

Carolina Red

Staff
This idiot wants to place teachers as basically front line workers v. the virus yet won’t make the proper call to vaccinate y’all.
Neither will our governor.

Meanwhile my school lost an attendance clerk to it yesterday. Bloomberg and McMaster can suck a bag of dicks.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Neither will our governor.

Meanwhile my school lost an attendance clerk to it yesterday. Bloomberg and McMaster can suck a bag of dicks.
Dude that sucks.

I would also like to make the case for our manufacturing personnel who are a critical part of at least 25% of the worlds testing. Can’t get a sniff of early vaccination here in WI, which means they enter month 11 of extreme isolation.

Dudu

So no vote on the jewish laser qanon lady, but one on Cheney..

Would she have lost this if it wasn't secret ballot?

Raoul

Admin
Staff

So no vote on the jewish laser qanon lady, but one on Cheney..

Would she have lost this if it wasn't secret ballot?
The Dems will apparently take care of MJT by removing her by floor vote, which will be doubly embarrassing for the Rs since each of them will now have to vote publicly to keep or get rid of her from committees.

Dudu

The Dems will apparently take care of MJT by removing her by floor vote, which will be doubly embarrassing for the Rs since each of them will now have to vote publicly to keep or get rid of her from committees.
Bet it will be way less R votes, since it will be public.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

3 pinnochios for the liar! I love the WaPo fact checker. It combats fake news with Facts, which are by definition untainted by ideology! When Fake News spreads on social mmedia, that in unhealthy for Democracy, and Fact Checking from unbiased sources should be mandatory!

freeurmind

weak willed

3 pinnochios for the liar! I love the WaPo fact checker. It combats fake news with Facts, which are by definition untainted by ideology! When Fake News spreads on social mmedia, that in unhealthy for Democracy, and Fact Checking from unbiased sources should be mandatory!

Charlie Foley

I mean, teachers in SC have been pretty vocal against him for years, so I think he kinda just doesn't like us.
Well it’s about time you high and mighty public school teachers got taken down a peg.

seriously though, RIP to your colleague. Even here in MD, a comparatively ‘normal’ state, the push to send teachers back into this shit show seems reckless at best.

Carolina Red

Staff
Oh shit, hope you’re feeling ok.
Did your better half do Pfizer or moderna? My girlfriend gets her second shot tomorrow.
I’m doing well. My wife got the Pfizer vaccine. She had a little skin rash come up and felt achy and tired a bit after the 2nd dose, but nothing more.
Well it’s about time you high and mighty public school teachers got taken down a peg.

seriously though, RIP to your colleague. Even here in MD, a comparatively ‘normal’ state, the push to send teachers back into this shit show seems reckless at best.
Yeah we, predictably, went from celebrated to castigated all within the space of the same pandemic.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
https://thecounter.org/water-debt-c...toffs-pandemic/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Paying extortion rates for water we would deem unfit for human consumption where I live. Well as long as the Resnicks have water for their desert farms.
A quick google search says the average water bill in california is around $65 per month - Electricity another $115... so around $180 per monh

It always does, thanks to an April executive order from Gov. Gavin Newsom banning water disconnections during the pandemic. But that didn’t stop her utility debt from snowballing to nearly $15,000.
im not sure how much of that is late fees / interest but even if she has bills more than 50% more than average at $300 per month thats still 50 months or 4 years worth of unpaid bills - im wondering why she wasnt disconnected years ago to be honest

It says before the pandemic she owed $8,000

Bell-Holt and her husband, a disabled U.S. Army Master Sergeant, live on fixed incomes. For several years, Bell-Holt hasn’t kept up with the soaring cost of water, electricity, sewage and trash pick-up for their rented Victorian in Jefferson Park. Water comprises the biggest, fastest-growing chunk, Bell-Holt said. By February, she owed the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power about $8,000.
so yeah several years suggests the pandemic had kept her power and water on for longer than it probably would have been

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

:eek: mitt

E- bruenig is the guy who runs that think tank. His main objections to the current system is that it's phased in (poorest are not eligible) and that is a tax credit (you have to file taxes and file them him a particular way, which again excludes poorer people) to get it. Biden's plan gets rid of first problem but not the second, mitt's get rid of both and also gives more money.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
back to the aoc lanaguage thing, i would be so much happier if this thing:

was phrased as "who else do you think lied".

me rn:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The party of death strikes again

and because Governor Evers gives zero fecks he immediately declared another mask mandate.