US Presidential Election: Tuesday November 6th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
If the undecided voters are really going to choose Romney over the first debate then roughly half of this country deserves exactly what happens over the next four years under that asshat. Unfortunately, the other half has to eat from the shit sandwich as well or starve.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I was quite shocked at how thick the yanks were that I went to college with. Just basic knowledge about history and such was beyond them, as well as simple maths and English abilities.

If you got a decent education in England, which I did, and read a lot about the US, which I did, it isn't hard to know more than the average yank.

DFreshKing

Hmm, having lived here my whole life and seeing how many US citizens are vastly unaware/uneducated in many areas of life/politics/etc., I wouldn't for one dismiss a foreigner for not having better insight.

Also, when you post I see this guy.

That is brilliant. :lol:

If I didn't before I sure as hell will from now on.

MrMarcello

Live in the southeast US for a couple years, C Red, and you too may discover how idiotic and uneducated people are. Even those with college degrees aren't an example of intelligence down this way.

mjs020294

I think Americans main weakness is they are very insular. My son went to the best primary school in the third best education authority in the UK, plus he had a year of private prep school. The education he received here was pretty good but we did purposely move to a location with "A" grade schools K thu 12.

I have actually worked with extremely bright and talented people in the four companies I have worked for.

mjs020294

I think an american citizen who has lived there all their life would have better knowledge and insight into the American population than an immigrant.
If you were trying to be clever you would have stopped and thought about that one. My post was a reference to the fact I have lived in another country. :)

Cali Red

Live in the southeast US for a couple years, C Red, and you too may discover how idiotic and uneducated people are. Even those with college degrees aren't an example of intelligence down this way.
In all honesty I wouldn't argue. I think generally speaking Americans are below average relative to the the discussion. I was older in college, late 20's and early 30's for undergrad and late 30's for grad school. It was sad to see how unaware of even basic US history knowledge and forget world events. Math and science I have a different outlook. I was a chem major so everyone I was dealing with was pretty competent in those areas. Just don't ask them about women....

And I did live in the south for a couple years, North Carolina.

mjs020294

Americans are so fecking stupid they earn more than most, pay less tax and went from from a bunch of peasant farmers to the worlds only superpower....Viva Stupidity

mjs020294

I have a random question, might as well ask it here. Which state has the strictest gun control laws and which has the weakest? I was wondering that after that recent shooting.

They vary a lot so its hard to say weakest/strongest. Of the big States California have strict laws, Texas has lax laws.

Cali Red

I think Americans main weakness is they are very insular. My son went to the best primary school in the third best education authority in the UK, plus he had a year of private prep school. The education he received here was pretty good but we did purposely move to a location with "A" grade schools K thu 12.

I have actually worked with extremely bright and talented people in the four companies I have worked for.
Agree with this. The insular nature is derived from the American culture up to the 1970's pretty much. We need need anyone and no one else mattered but us was the general idea. Well the world has gotten smaller and now we're playing catch up.

Our education system was so self-centric that while I was in college you were forced to take a multi-cultural class. It was shit....:lol:

Cali Red

I have a random question, might as well ask it here. Which state has the strictest gun control laws and which has the weakest? I was wondering that after that recent shooting.
Not 100% sure but probably California or New York have the strictest.

Weakest....not sure. Alaska, Texas, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
This figure of 15% being undecided, it would be interesting to know how many of them have become unemployed or lacked job security in the latter half of Obama's presidency.

Election turnout is as much a problem on your side of the Atlantic as it is ours, apathy and disillusionment could be as much a factor as ignorance and little interest in politics. Psychologically one more batch of negative economic numbers could be enough to prompt them to vote a certain way. Although as Ubik points out, the situation in these specific battleground states are likely more important than an overarching national outlook.

Re: Nickelodeon

Are there any recent projections for the actual breakdown of the young vote among the candidates? Obama's not going to get quite as many out to vote as in 08 certainly.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
Americans are so fecking stupid they earn more than most, pay less tax and went from from a bunch of peasant farmers to the worlds only superpower....Viva Stupidity
Is that comment aimed at me? I haven't even called them stupid, two american posters did! Anyway, in a population over 300mill it stands to sense there are going to be a lot of dumb feckers wandering around and on the flip side, they have a lot of the smartest too. It probably averages out.

MrMarcello

You seriously think there are not similar people in every country. :wenger:
Well, Cliff, Europeans certainly appear more educated than Americans on the whole. Europeans are more culturally aware and less insular than Americans. Asians from Japan, Taiwan and Korea certainly seem more educated and intelligent. That's not to say there are no uneducated, unintelligent, and ignorant persons in those regions.

Perhaps education/intellect isn't the proper term here but certainly Europeans come across less ignorant than Americans. I know plenty of ignorant people in this country, the election is a great showcase for that which brings out this ignorance in citizens. Basic math, history and science is another proof of this ignorance or lack of education. Our school system is in shambles.

Europeans are less religious on the whole, outside of maybe Italy and perhaps a handful of other countries. Relegate the importance of religion and we'll see less ignorance and more awareness in the US. It's a noticeable trend. More than half of US citizens still believe that some sky fairy blessed this country and is watching over us. That's so ridiculous it's beyond ignorant.

Considering how US politics often affects European countries, and others around the world, no doubt a certain number of people from around the world take an interest in the US. And thus learn in-depth about US politics in the process. Your average Joe only knows to vote Dem/Rep and hate the other party for whatever fecked up reasons FNC or MSNBC or their pastor/family/friends say, like there's always the one "smart" person that overrides all others in groups and many simply follow the lead. They have little to zero knowledge of political issues.

I can honestly say I'm far more educated and intelligent than all of my living family, which numbers over 50 persons. Their ignorance during this election has made me really distant from them, as if I cannot simply believe how fecking stupid they are. So bad when my grandma asked who I was voting for and I responded Obama (in June) she got offended and called me a rat. They're also ridiculously religious which has also forced me to break away. And this ignorance isn't simply limited to politics, it's a general knowledge of math, science, etc.

mjs020294

Is that comment aimed at me? I haven't even called them stupid, two american posters did! Anyway, in a population over 300mill it stands to sense there are going to be a lot of dumb feckers wandering around and on the flip side, they have a lot of the smartest too. It probably averages out.
Probably not :lol: Americans do have an scary ability to come across as stupid, even the smart ones.

DFreshKing

Work more than most. have less holidays etc....

They also don't earn more than most in the developed world.

Also most countries developed from farming cultures too, but hey, Americans are so fecking stupid so you are not completely wrong. :D

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
CNN basically said it was a close race, and Stats like Florida maybe beyond Obama now. In some key States the Obama campaign had been out spending Romney's for the last week and they have failed to make an impact. Romney's campaign has a lot of money in reserve and they may bombard the key States.

I think their rational was lose forfeit the battle to win the war. Just make sure Ohio can't fall and Obama should be golden.
The CNN segment (at least the one I saw) kind of lost its way a bit when they said Nevada was close and Iowa was the more likely to go Obama.

If Florida's beyond Obama, then so is Ohio of Romney, because they're showing similar results in polls. In reality they're both still tight as feck that could go either way. You may as well stay in Florida since Romney has to be paranoid about it, it's a must win for him. Same goes for North Carolina, particularly with the demographics.

mjs020294

Work more than most. have less holidays etc....

They also don't earn more than most in the developed world.
We (wife/me) have two fairly common professions. Our disposable income is close to double what it would be in the UK. I get 20 days vacation, the wife gets 25 days. We both get an extra week for every five years service up to a maximum of seven weeks.

Don't believe everything you read. I was fecking shocked the first year we filed our taxes.....been smiling every year since.

mjs020294

If Florida's beyond Obama, then so is Ohio of Romney, because they're showing similar results in polls. In reality they're both still tight as feck that could go either way. .

The main premise of the piece was Romney's stock is still rising, and Obama is struggling. Then you have to factor in voter enthusiasm and MoE. The polls might end up a couple of percent off.

Bottom line is Romney can't win without Ohio.

Cali Red

We (wife/me) have two fairly common professions. Our disposable income is close to double what it would be in the UK. I get 20 days vacation, the wife gets 25 days. We both get an extra week for every five years service up to a maximum of seven weeks.
Sounds like a couple living off the gov't teat....

Damn foreigners coming over here sucking up our resources.

mjs020294

Sounds like a couple living off the gov't teat....

Damn foreigners coming over here sucking up our resources.
Joking aside that is another thing the US public are ignorant about. The US SS system doesn't allow people to live it barely sustains existence. If you're down on you luck or a tad lazy the US is not the place to live.....I'd move back to the UK under those circumstances. :)

Ubik

The main premise of the piece was Romney's stock is still rising, and Obama is struggling. Then you have to factor in voter enthusiasm and MoE. The polls might end up a couple of percent off.

Bottom line is Romney can't win without Ohio.
In which case it's a questionable premise, given that Romney's stock has risen, it isn't rising. You also have to factor in early voting and the Democrat ground machine, which is extremely good.

Romney realistically can't win without Colorado, Florida, Virginia and Ohio. Obama pretty much needs one of them. That's Romney's main problem.

mjs020294

In which case it's a questionable premise, given that Romney's stock has risen, it isn't rising. You also have to factor in early voting and the Democrat ground machine, which is extremely good.

Romney realistically can't win without Colorado, Florida, Virginia and Ohio. Obama pretty much needs one of them. That's Romney's main problem.
As of right now Romney has three of them:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...ctions_electoral_college_map_no_toss_ups.html

They were looking at other data like recent advertisement spending per State as well. The Obama camp have been outspending Romney significantly in all of those States, yet Romney has been doing well in the polls. At some point the Romney superpaks will come out swinging and it does make sense to concentrate your resources in the one State Romney simply has to win.

Cali Red

Really? Maybe he's energizing the base.....

Working with a lesser politician try to get elected maybe? Is Feinstein in trouble? I haven't heard a peep and can't imagine that to be the case.

Ubik

As of right now Romney has three of them:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...ctions_electoral_college_map_no_toss_ups.html

They were looking at other data like recent advertisement spending per State as well. The Obama camp have been outspending Romney significantly in all of those States, yet Romney has been doing well in the polls. At some point the Romney superpaks will come out swinging and it does make sense to concentrate your resources in the one State Romney simply has to win.
He has one of them, two of them are tied (0.2 is not a lead). So Obama has a slightly better chance than 50/50 to win Ohio, a 50/50 chance to win Colorado or Virginia, and a slightly worse chance than 50/50 to win Florida. Those are good odds for Obama in all.

Surely the Romney super-pacs are already going for it? They were doing the majority of his ad spending in the graphics I saw.

mjs020294

Surely the Romney super-pacs are already going for it? They were doing the majority of his ad spending in the graphics I saw.
Not according to CNN last night. Obama and his paks have been out spending Romney in the key States.

I am sure there will be a load of late adverts with the results from companies like Dupont announcing job cuts.

Ubik

The one I mainly remember was Florida, Obama was overall spending slightly more but the Romney super-pac spending was big (more than the actual campaign was).

Status
Not open for further replies.