US Presidential Election: Tuesday November 6th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Going back to last night's debate, did anybody see the focus group on Hannity? Is being arse part of the criteria for the men who appear on them or what [particularly the guy who did the Charlie Sheen "WINNING" RESPONSE]?

mjs020294

Not a particularly good day for the economy. A few key companies reporting much lower than expected profits, and sign the economy isn't all that strong. Some are even planning job cuts.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Not a particularly good day for the economy. A few key companies reporting much lower than expected profits, and sign the economy isn't all that strong. Some are even planning job cuts.
Aren't there some important figures due out right at the beginning of November? Probably the last external influence to floating voters.

Saliph

Won't affect the election.

mjs020294

Job numbers are out soon but the 3rd quarter financials are coming in now. I don't think many expected quite as gloomy outlook as companies like Dupont reported today. Companies like Dupont are a very good indicator on the economy in general, and they are laying 1,500 off. Of course its an international company but that will not get much airtime in the US.

mjs020294

Won't affect the election.

The number one topic this election is the economy, in fact its practically the only topic. I have just driven home listening to NPR that ran a gloomy report on today's results; walked through the door and the national news had a similar report on.

You would have to be stupid or naive, or both, to think that will not have some bearing.

Saliph

The number one topic this election is the economy, in fact its practically the only topic. I have just driven home listening to NPR that ran a gloomy report on today's results; walked through the door and the national news had a similar report on.

You would have to be stupid or naive, or both, to think that will not have some bearing.
It won't. People have already made up their minds, and the ones that haven't are ignorant fools who don't watch the news.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Children have elected President Barack Obama to a second term, in Nickelodeon's 2012 Kids Pick the President voting.

Since this franchise began in 1988, kids have correctly picked the POTUS (in advance of the national election) five out of the last six elections.

More than half a million votes were cast in the network's online poll this time around. President Obama received 65% of the vote and former Governor Mitt Romney received 35%, Nickelodeon reported.

mjs020294

It won't. People have already made up their minds, and the ones that haven't are ignorant fools who don't watch the news.
Good to have your insight on the American people and media from NORWAY. :lol:

BTW - some polls have the undecideds or people that can still switch at 15%.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Children have elected President Barack Obama to a second term, in Nickelodeon's 2012 Kids Pick the President voting.

Since this franchise began in 1988, kids have correctly picked the POTUS (in advance of the national election) five out of the last six elections.

More than half a million votes were cast in the network's online poll this time around. President Obama received 65% of the vote and former Governor Mitt Romney received 35%, Nickelodeon reported.
Further illustrates the bias of the main stream media.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Interestingly though, unemployed in Ohio (central at least but I think the whole state as well) is still dropping and is already far below the national average. So even if people are likely to change their votes this close to the election based on economic news, the effect may not extend to the most important state.

mjs020294

I got shot down a few weeks ago when I said Ohio was absolutely crucial. CNN even suggested last night that the Obama campaign should reduce adverts in States like Florida and put a lot of resources in Ohio to create a "firewall".

Cali Red

That sounds incredibly high. I always wonder how these boil down in a poll. So many people say what they think is the "right" thing to say rather than what they actually think.

Saliph

Yes, and as we all know Norway is completely isolated from the rest of the world.

Anyway, see you later, I'll have to log off now before men with guns arrive at my door and arrest me for using the internetz.

Ubik

I got shot down a few weeks ago when I said Ohio was absolutely crucial. CNN even suggested last night that the Obama campaign should reduce adverts in States like Florida and put a lot of resources in Ohio to create a "firewall".
Was this before the first debate? Because various people have said that here recently, prior to debate 1 though there were various comfortable routes without it.

I think also that keeping states like Florida and North Carolina in play (in terms of money and people on the ground) also forces Romney to stay there and not spend elsewhere. Obama has leads in all the states he needs, it's Romney that needs to make the gamble. And whilst Romney is ahead in both those states at the moment, the demographics mean you can't rule out an Obama win. (I seem to recall the CNN guy also suggesting Virginia as a possible place to wind down from, which would be ridiculous).

Saliph

Its fairly isolated from NPR, NBC News, CBS News and the average Joe in the street. :)
Yes, and as we all know there is no way of getting information about the American election other than through CBS, NPR, and the average Joe on the street.

Please, kind sir, do tell some more invaluable anecdotes about the average Joe on the street, or the people you work with or something. This is such a great opportunity for me to learn, you actually living in the Americas and all.

And while you're at it, please explain to me how you living in Florida makes you so extraordinarily qualified to lecture me and others on this forum about the voting habbits of people in, say, Ohio, with that smug, dismissive attitude of yours. You know, other than the fact that you watch CBS and talk to random people on the street.

mjs020294

Was this before the first debate? Because various people have said that here recently, prior to debate 1 though there were various comfortable routes without it.
Yes after the debate, about 60 minutes after.

mjs020294

Yes, and as we all know there is no way of getting information about the American election other than through CBS, NPR, and the average Joe on the street.
I could spend all week on the Internet researching Norway and I wouldn't begin for one second to know 10% of what someone that lived there knew. It really took us a couple of years to start understanding how the average American really thinks, their culture and mindset is very different to a Brits?Europeans, especially when it comes to government, taxation and spending

Little things like having property here and filing tax returns for over a decade mean quite a lot when it comes to understanding the real issues that will decide the election.

And as for people in other States, I was in Ohio and Illinois last month, and I am on multiple calls a week with people in most major States. Plus Florida has more transplants than anywhere.

And yes I am smug and dismissive to stupid fecking assholes that think living on the internet gives that a fecking ounce of insight into life in American.

Saliph

I could spend all week on the Internet researching Norway and I wouldn't begin for one second to know 10% of what someone that lived there knew. It really took us a couple of years to start understanding how the average American really thinks, their culture and mindset is very different to a Brits?Europeans, especially when it comes to government, taxation and spending

Little things like having property here and filing tax returns for over a decade mean quite a lot when it comes to understanding the real issues that will decide the election.

And as for people in other States, I was in Ohio and Illinois last month, and am only multiple calls a week with people in most major States. Plus Florida has more transplants that anywhere.
Did you get to talk to anyone on the street?

Just like most people (and certainly most undecided voters) don't give a shit about foreign policy, most people (and certainly most undecided voters a.k.a. uninformed ignoramuses (which is what they are)) don't give a shit about company profits. They only care about things that directly affect them. It'll have a very minor impact, if any - just like the FP debate.

But of course, with your increasingly boring GOP-leaning agenda (and you can deny that all you want), you'll insist on the contrary. You're so predictable.

mjs020294

Did you get to talk to anyone on the street?

Just like most people (and certainly most undecided voters) don't give a shit about foreign policy, most people (and certainly most undecided voters a.k.a. uninformed ignoramuses (which is what they are)) don't give a shit about company profits. They only care about things that directly affect them.

But of course, with your increasingly boring GOP-leaning agenda (and you can deny that all you want), you'll insist on the contrary. You're so predictable.
See that is showing your ignorance again. One thing you will notice if you ever live here for a while is Americans are far more likely to own shares, and follow the stock market. in fact it gets fecking irritating listening to them when the markets are volatile.

mjs020294

Have you heard of technology such as the internet and satellite radio?
I am sorry I don't buy someone that is a few thousand miles away spends that much time pondering a distant country. I spent fecking months planning our move here which involved an ungodly amount of research and multiple trips over, and I didn't know all that much when we arrived.

Ubik

Yes after the debate, about 60 minutes after.
In fairness we were all shitting bricks at that point, Obama had either just lost 1-0 to Wigan or 4-1 to Liverpool and the prospect of the run-in was looking a lot more stressful :lol:

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I am sorry I don't buy someone that is a few thousand miles away spends that much time pondering a distant country. I spent fecking months planning our move here which involved an ungodly amount of research and multiple trips over, and I didn't know all that much when we arrived.
I disagree. I knew more about US history, culture and politics than many yanks before I moved here...and most of that knowledge came before the internet.

mjs020294

CNN basically said it was a close race, and Stats like Florida maybe beyond Obama now. In some key States the Obama campaign had been out spending Romney's for the last week and they have failed to make an impact. Romney's campaign has a lot of money in reserve and they may bombard the key States.

I think their rational was lose forfeit the battle to win the war. Just make sure Ohio can't fall and Obama should be golden.

mjs020294

I disagree. I knew more about US history, culture and politics than many yanks before I moved here...and most of that knowledge came before the internet.
Some yanks maybe but not most. My son was educated here from 2nd grade and his knowledge of history, government and culture would be practically impossible for anyone outside the US to match unless they were a sad bastard.

DFreshKing

Some yanks maybe but not most. My son was educated here from 2nd grade and his knowledge of history, government and culture would be practically impossible for anyone outside the US to match unless they were a sad bastard.
It's is well known that most yanks are not well educated.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Hmm, having lived here my whole life and seeing how many US citizens are vastly unaware/uneducated in many areas of life/politics/etc., I wouldn't for one dismiss a foreigner for not having better insight.

Also, when you post I see this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.