US Presidential Election: Tuesday November 6th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

radd

NH always threatens to go Red but it usually stays Blue doesnt it?
Bush won it in 2000 - if it had stayed Blue, Gore would have won the Electoral College, and the world would be quite different today...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
NH always threatens to go Red but it usually stays Blue doesnt it?
Its a traditionally conservative state, but then again a conservative state in the northeast is probably more liberal than a blue dog democrat state like West Virginia. I don't think NH will much of a factor this time because of its low number of electoral votes. At this point, if Obama can hold on to Ohio, he will probably win the election. If he holds on to Ohio and nicks one of Virginia or Colorado, then he will definitely win it, as Romney's path to 270 will be completely cut off.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Just weeks after we discussed this, Romney managed to use a debate to turn the race on its head. Obama then used the ensuing two debates to restablize his polling numbers.
Well I know, that was the point of my post.

That said, I'm not sure there's much evidence the second two debates had any effect. The polls started to revert back to the June-August equilibrium before them.

I wouldn't pretend to have knowledge of the of the US political landscape that some on here do, however it seems to me that a third centrist party would be more representative of wider opinion. For arguments sake call it 3/5 of the present Democratic Party and a fifth to one quarter of the GOP.
The Democratic Party is representative of centrist opinion. It has essentially no left-wing positions. Yes it favours very mild redistribution, but that only seems left-wing in the light of the GOP's bizarre anti-all-taxes-ever primitivism.

When you actually poll people, they like Dem policies. In some cases, like the War on Drugs and (until this year) gay marriage, they're to the left of them. They just don't like the Democratic Party very much.

Jaz

Obama for America: POTUS will campaign in CO, WI, OH next week.*Tue: Colorado Springs & Green Bay, overnight OH. Wed: Cincinnati&Akron *

Well.... Interesting.. Very very interesting....

radd

Obama for America: POTUS will campaign in CO, WI, OH next week.*Tue: Colorado Springs & Green Bay, overnight OH. Wed: Cincinnati&Akron *

Well.... Interesting.. Very very interesting....
Really? Not merely 'as expected'?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
SIAP: Our very own Rooney joins the fray... not just a pretty boy you know

Wayne Rooney the Prezmaker happy to put his political clout behind Barack Obama

If his own tweeting voice lacks the Shakespearean lyricism of fellow Scouser Joey Barton, Wayne Rooney need feel no embarrassment about that.

By Matthew Norman6:00AM BST 26 Oct 2012

When the present England captain finally gave his long-awaited US presidential endorsement this week, he chose studiedly unpoetic language to reflect the drably prosaic nature of the campaign itself.

“Watched all the presidential debates,” tweeted Rooney on Tuesday, just a few hours after the last of the trio ended in Florida. “If I had to vote would vote for Obama.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-his-political-clout-behind-Barack-Obama.html

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ohio is expected. Surprised there are no visit to florida, NC or Va.

The fact that he's going to be in Wisconsin is probably an indication of how close it might be there.
Doubtful. He's probably going there to seal the deal vs out of concern that Romney might win it. And why on earth would he go to NC ? Its a long lost cause at this point.

Helder-Carvalho

The fact that he's going to be in Wisconsin is probably an indication of how close it might be there.
he still has thursday, friday, saturday, sunday and monday to visit virginia and florida. I think he's not taking for granted any of these states.

radd

It only covers Tuesday and Wednesday next. He'll definitely be in Florida on the 4th or 5th, after stopping off in NC and VA.

Re Wisconsin, the only interesting bit is that he's that campaigning in the reddest parts of the state, in fact the same for CO and OH. Modestly aggressive.

radd

Doubtful. He's probably going there to seal the deal vs out of concern that Romney might win it. And why on earth would he go to NC ? Its a long lost cause at this point.
Admittedly, only a tiny chance, but new voter registration could yet make a difference.

Jaz

he still has thursday, friday, saturday, sunday and monday to visit virginia and florida. I think he's not taking for granted any of these states.
It only covers Tuesday and Wednesday next. He'll definitely be in Florida on the 4th or 5th, after stopping off in NC and VA.

Re Wisconsin, the only interesting bit is that he's that campaigning in the reddest parts of the state, in fact the same for CO and OH. Modestly aggressive.
The fact he's in Wisconsin gives Romney hope. Can really be considered in two ways;

a) desperate because if Ohio cannot be won, Wisconsin is the alternative route to EV victory.
b) that it's genuinely in play.

Hard to tell, but it's not a state that anyone would have considered in play until very very recently, it was completely ignored in the last couple of months.

radd

The fact he's in Wisconsin gives Romney hope. Can really be considered in two ways;

a) desperate because if Ohio cannot be won, Wisconsin is the alternative route to EV victory.

Hard to tell, but it's not a state that anyone would have considered in play until very very recently, it was completely ignored in the last couple of months.
The fact that he's going to Green Bay (and presumably the burbs near it) and not Madison or Milwaukee suggests anything but desperation. The same for Cincinnati versus Columbus or Cleveland, and Colorado Springs v Denver.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Admittedly, only a tiny chance, but new voter registration could yet make a difference.
There's still some hope in NC, although its bleak. If Obama's post debate surge continues for another week, he could possibly close the gap and then hope that voter turnout does the rest. Although that's probably more wishful thinking than anything else. The PPP and Grove polls that have NC as a tie or Obama ahead in recent days are interesting. If another poll or two come out showing Obama ahead then those would be reflecting his post-debate 2/3 bounce and NC might be in play again.

radd

There's still some hope in NC, although its bleak. If Obama's post debate surge continues for another week, he could possibly close the gap and then hope that voter turnout does the rest. Although that's probably more wishful thinking than anything else. The PPP and Grove polls that have NC as a tie or Obama ahead in recent days are interesting. If another poll or two come out showing Obama ahead then those would be reflecting his post-debate 2/3 bounce and NC might be in play again.
Agreed, especially given that PPP has been trending modestly Republican over the last month or so. Also, hardly any polls released so far have consisted entirely of post-debate 3 surveys.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

If Ohio can't be won then Wisconsin (and Iowa) might go to Romney as well because both states contain similar demographics. That's why Ohio is a tipping point state - what happens there will be reflective of several others states. Its rather laughable that Romney and Ryan are going to get routed in the three states they are affiliated with (Mass, Michigan, and Wisconsin).

Jaz

If Ohio can't be won then Wisconsin (and Iowa) might go to Romney as well because both states contain similar demographics. That's why Ohio is a tipping point state - what happens there will be reflective of several others states. Its rather laughable that Romney and Ryan are going to get routed in the three states they are affiliated with (Mass, Michigan, and Wisconsin).
To be fair, all of them are solid Democratic states. Even Gore lost Tennessee.

Only Clinton made a fairly Republican state democrat twice in recent years.

radd

Disagree. While that's how you'd expect it to play out, Ohio has been unusually resilient this year, even the Romentum! after debate 1 didn't affect it much. Here's Alec MacGillis with a great piece on it from before the debates.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/107729/how-obama-made-ohio-lean-dem-state

Jaz

I still think Obama will win Ohio. I think it might be tighter than expected though.

If you read the media right now, you would think that Romney is 10% behind in Ohio. It's probably going to be less than 2

radd

I still think Obama will win Ohio. I think it might be tighter than expected though.

If you read the media right now, you would think that Romney is 10% behind in Ohio. It's probably going to be less than 2
Even in RCP's slightly Republican-leaning average, Romney has never led, and crucially never gone above 47%. Would indicate that he has a low ceiling in Ohio even with all the Rasmussen and Gravis polls boosting him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Disagree. While that's how you'd expect it to play out, Ohio has been unusually resilient this year, even the Romentum! after debate 1 didn't affect it much. Here's Alec MacGillis with a great piece on it from before the debates.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/107729/how-obama-made-ohio-lean-dem-state
Ohio has been resilient, but that's been because Obama has put a lot of resources in it and has been hammering Romney's remarks about letting the auto industry go bankrupt etc. The Dems correctly identified it as a critical state from the beginning, which is paying off now.

mjs020294

Very good news for Obama, and teh country:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20096380

The US economy grew in the three months to September, official figures showed.

The world's largest economy expanded at an annualised rate of 2% in the third quarter, the Commerce Department said, more than had been expected.

The US has now been growing for more than three years, since June 2009.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Seems to me that politics has shifted so far to the right that Obama would have been a Republican from 1945-2000, and the current Republican platform would have been considered the fringe of the conservative party.
What has caused all of this?

Was it 9/11 and subsequent wars?

Was it a greed/power craving by certain elements within the top level of government?

Was it a push by certain elements to ensure a gender/racial control of the nation?

Other factors?

MrMarcello

White men are the most conservative demographic in America. In competitive areas, Republicans routinely win even in "white guy vs white guy" elections.
Another reason I've distanced myself from the GOP party. The TPers caused all of this shifting. You're either far right or classifed as a liberal by these dipshits.

And if you bring up racism as the reason they want Obama out you get labelled all sorts of shit by GOP supporters. It's also their excuse to avoid issues when you bring up they simply don't want the black guy in charge, and they use the "that's how you know libs have lost the argument" retort.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header

Was it a greed/power craving by certain elements within the top level of government?

Was it a push by certain elements to ensure a gender/racial control of the nation?

Other factors?
Don't think it's 9/11 as the GOP in the nineties wasn't much different. It had less popular, Tea Party-style influence over elites, but aside from that.

I wonder if it's the wrong question. Maybe this is what the Right's normally like, and the Eisenhower-Reagan period was just a time of unusual leftward drift, coming after the War which saw an overhauling of traditional values and a new consensus on universal rights?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Paul Ryan got sent to Alabama the other day, and I don't think that was because they were worried about an Obama surge there. In fact, I don't know any reason why he'd need to go there, but there you go.

North Carolina demographics have shifted in Obama's favour, so if he can get out his vote it'll defy most of the national swing against him and there's a chance he could nick it. Unlikely, but the chance remains. He'll already have won the election easily if he does though so it's more vanity than anything.

Jaz

Paul Ryan got sent to Alabama the other day, and I don't think that was because they were worried about an Obama surge there. In fact, I don't know any reason why he'd need to go there, but there you go.

North Carolina demographics have shifted in Obama's favour, so if he can get out his vote it'll defy most of the national swing against him and there's a chance he could nick it. Unlikely, but the chance remains. He'll already have won the election easily if he does though so it's more vanity than anything.
Both candidates and VPs will be in Wisconsin over the next week.

Hopefully we'll get a few more polls for Wisconsin, Minnesota (supposedly both campaigns buying ads there), and Iowa soon.

I suspect the Romney campaign know they will lose Ohio and probing other markets.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

Other factors?
If you look at the GOP now. It is made up of a very religous group...I wont call it Christian...because most of the stuff they believe in has nothing to do with Christ's teachings....and a mindless libertarian group....the teaparty.

Neither of these groups are able to think critically on serious issues.

This will doom the party soon.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Minnesota's already in Obama's pocket and Wisconsin isn't far off, he's long been averaging 50% there and Romney's never really shown a lead of any sort. Iowa's almost in that category too. It's Ohio or bust. The Romney campaign just has a lot of money to spend so it may as well.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Minnesota's already in Obama's pocket and Wisconsin isn't far off, he's long been averaging 50% there and Romney's never really shown a lead of any sort. Iowa's almost in that category too. It's Ohio or bust. The Romney campaign just has a lot of money to spend so it may as well.
Romney will never get Minnesota. He wont get WI either.

Think he may try for IA, though even that is beyond him I think.

He will try hard in CO.
I was watching in amusement Morning Joe and the desperation of the righties trying to spin this myth of the continuing Romney surge.

Finally they had to concede it is about turnout and Obama has the edge there.

MrMarcello

If you look at the GOP now. It is made up of a very religous group...I wont call it Christian...because most of the stuff they believe in has nothing to do with Christ's teachings....and a mindless libertarian group....the teaparty.

Neither of these groups are able to think critically on serious issues.

This will doom the party soon.
Talevangelicalban

Status
Not open for further replies.