US Presidential Election: Tuesday November 6th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Think about it, Exactly whom and what did Dubya inspire with his legacy effect?
Dubya was very inspirational!!

He inspired a huge part of a nation to elect Obama.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
care to share more? Im genuinely interested.
Sorry but I can't remember who it was I saw being interviewed on which programme! I've watched so much of this stuff over the last week!

O is an historic figure already with a keen sense of history. He works in a place where busts and paintings of the biggest figures in American history surround him and the country is crying out for leadership to inspire them back to greatness.

He's not just going to muddle through the next 4 years...especially after being given a vote of confidence like he has just received. I'm genuinely excited. Even the repubs are sounding like they are going to let him do his thang and see where it takes us.

Excal

Even the repubs are sounding like they are going to let him do his thang and see where it takes us.
No they're not. Boehner's feigning a conciliatory tone while saying the same thing he said before. He said "we're open to new revenue", but that they aren't open to any tax increases, going on to say that the new revenue he's open to is the magical supply-side revenue that supposedly appears when you lower taxes.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Sorry but I can't remember who it was I saw being interviewed on which programme! I've watched so much of this stuff over the last week!

O is an historic figure already with a keen sense of history. He works in a place where busts and paintings of the biggest figures in American history surround him and the country is crying out for leadership to inspire them back to greatness.

He's not just going to muddle through the next 4 years...especially after being given a vote of confidence like he has just received. I'm genuinely excited. Even the repubs are sounding like they are going to let him do his thang and see where it takes us.
He will accomplish a lot in this term. But I am most excited about the SCOTUS appointments he will make.

Set for the next 30 or 40 years.

Red Dreams

No they're not. Boehner's feigning a conciliatory tone while saying the same thing he said before. He said "we're open to new revenue", but that they aren't open to any tax increases, going on to say that the new revenue he's open to is the magical supply-side revenue that supposedly appears when you lower taxes.
He would not want to vote against a tax reduction for the middle class...which is what will happen if we go off the cliff.

What time is the President speaking?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Will they be having inaugurals and parties an' shit in January?

Prez speech is imminent...I've got FNC on so I can watch it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Obama is going to have a speech? When? Will it be broadcast by all the usual suspects? I've been watching some Fox News on my not entirely official stream the last couple of days. It's fascinating. Terrifying.

Saliph

Obama is going to have a speech? When? Will it be broadcast by all the usual suspects? I've been watching some Fox News on my not entirely official stream the last couple of days. It's fascinating. Terrifying.
vg.no

Excal

My first thought was "Oh Barry..." when he seemed to be pretending that Boehner actually indicated he was open to compromise, but now I'm thinking it was rather clever. By backing up Boehner's faux position of supporting new revenues, if Boehner backs away from that (which he will) it's then clear that he's the one blocking tax cuts for 98% of people.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
He should just show this:

Repubs holding the US to ransom over 0.1% of GDP.

Cali Red

Everyone ready for the next REAL George Bush?

George P. Bush, nephew of the former president, reportedly takes first official step toward political office

It turns out the calls for a stronger Hispanic voice in the GOP — more urgent than ever after Barack Obama’s massive support among the demographic Tuesday — were heard loud and clear in North Texas.

George P. Bush, son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and nephew of former President George W. Bush, has taken his first step toward running for office by filing an “appointment of a campaign treasurer” with the Texas Ethics Commission, according to The New Republic.

That report was bolstered by the below tweet from Ana Navarro, John McCain’s National Hispanic co-chair in 2008

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/2012/11/george-p-bush-nephew-of-the-former-president-takes-first-official-step-toward-political-office.html/
Apparently he's Hispanic as well.....

Cali Red

If he changes his name he may have a better chance.

Running a hispanic/cuban is not the answer for the GOP. They need to rethink their policies.
Doubt he'd really have to change his name. That would be so far down the road people would most likely not hold it against him. You're right on the second part though. Holding up a token candidate has not worked. See Cain, West, Rice, et al. It's the policies and actions, not the heritage of the party.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I have heard both "bible bashers" and "bible thumpers".
I've always understood this way:

The "bible bashers" were people like myself that call it a work of fiction with too many contradictions and errors woven into ancient myths and then present day norms.

The "bible thumpers" are the ones that constantly open/point/thump to their bible when talking to others.

Excal

The "bible bashers" were people like myself that call it a work of fiction with too many contradictions and errors woven into ancient myths and then present day norms.

The "bible thumpers" are the ones that constantly open/point/thump to their bible when talking to others.
I've never heard "bible bashers" used that way. It's always interchangeable with bible thumpers, with both meaning that their only response to dissenting opinions is to flog their bible that much harder.

The correct term is "wankers"
This.

mjs020294

bible basher

A bible basher is one who lives their life by the bible, and tries to force the bible upon all they meet.

A religious person who is obsessivily you could say, and insanely into his or her religion. They tend to 'bash on' about their religion and try to feed it to you.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bible basher

In America: One who incessantly criticizes the bible. AMERICANS :rolleyes:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Seems incorrect terminology to me. Bashing is defined

1: to strike violently : hit; also : to injure or damage by striking : smash —often used with in
2: to attack physically or verbally <media bashing> <celebrity bashing>

or Bash (basher, bashing, bashes)

1. To strike with a heavy, crushing blow: The thug bashed the hood of the car with a sledgehammer.
2. To beat or assault severely: The police arrested the men who bashed an immigrant in the park.
3. Informal To criticize (another) harshly, accusatorially, and threateningly: "He bashed the . . . government unmercifully over the . . . spy affair" (Lally Weymouth). v.intr.
Informal To engage in harsh, accusatory, threatening criticism. n.
1. Informal A heavy, crushing blow.
2. Slang A celebration; a party.

So to me it would literally bashing the bible (i.e. its accuracy, authenticity, etc.). Like celebrity bashing is mocking and ridiculing celebrities.

I suppose the flip side could be they "hold the bible" and metaphorically bash everyone with it. But then that would change celebrity bashing as well.

Red Dreams

Doubt he'd really have to change his name. That would be so far down the road people would most likely not hold it against him. You're right on the second part though. Holding up a token candidate has not worked. See Cain, West, Rice, et al. It's the policies and actions, not the heritage of the party.
Frum was on this morning. He said, the GOP lied that Obama raised taxes. He went on with a list of other issues.

For the GOP to now walk all this back and basically say.."Look we want to come to the middle and our policies are going to help everyone.." is going to be a leap.

They have painted themselves into a corner.

If new people (moderates) come on and say something like that..maybe.

But those that have been brainwashed will feel betrayed.

But if the GOP is willing to do this they will find their soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.