Utd bid to sign 16 year old twins from Man City - Darren Fletcher’s sons!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Fletcher was playing for United at that age! What are Fletcher and Fletcher playing at?!

Swedish_Plumber

I haven't seen the lads play but have heard and read that they're very good prospects and represent England u16s. Darren Fletcher was absolutely correct in sending them to the City academy imo due to how things were deteriorating at youth level under the Glazers and David Gill. We've come a long way since then and even though the likes of City and Chelsea are better funded at youth level, we should match them with a new owner.
So Darren’s let them play for city AND England? Fecking hell fletch man.

Ted Lasso

The big story here is the fact that Darren had rather they were brought through cities academy rather than ours.
Glazernomics 101. Likewise continued policy of neglect should Sir Ratcliff takeover.

Weren't there other players kids in a similar setup?

glasgow 21

Fletcher must have a good eye for talent.
Give him a new contract.
yeah but we will ignore the numerous reports on a young Alphonso Davies an others just about sums up the farce United have been for 10 years . Time for a clear out

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
So our technical director didnt trust our own academy. Nice.
We really don't know the circumstances behind why they were at City and not at United. Could be that United at one point thought they weren't good enough. Who knows.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Fletch is a lot shorter than I remember as well.

I also can't reconcile him moonlighting for West Brom while he is our Technical Director.
We all shrink a little when we age.

Moonlighting Fletch: and you wonder why people are constantly questioning what he does at United. He is the David May of management. Only seen at United photo ops otherwise he's at the Hawthorn.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Isn’t it a bit of a disgrace that Fletcher let his sons go through the City system rather than the United one that he is Technical Director of, and that is now costing the club a significant fee to reverse?

GreatDane

Isn’t it a bit of a disgrace that Fletcher let his sons go through the City system rather than the United one that he is Technical Director of, and that is now costing the club a significant fee to reverse?
More likely that they started at City to avoid being accused of favourism or nepotism because of their dad.

AndySmith1990

Not really. Parents will rightly do what's best for their kids. They have no duty to send their kids to a lesser academy just because they played here under Ferguson. It would seem players rate the City youth system above Uniteds which is hardly surprising as City invest in their club. I blame the Glazers, Woodward and the rest of the incompetent fools who've worked at United over the past decade

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The twins go by the name: Darren and Fletcher, a reference to his father who is Darren Fletcher (not the BT Sports one who doesnt have a twin).

Dan_F

More likely that they started at City to avoid being accused of favourism or nepotism because of their dad.
I’m pretty sure I read in an interview that this was part of the thinking.

Beaucoup

Not true, they trained at both Utd and City, pretty embarrassing that we now have to pay a huge chunk of money to get them back, and I certainly wouldn’t class them as special talent.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Isn't the Manchester United youth teams all about finding that one, excellent youth player (think Greenwood or Pogba), whereas the Man Shitty youth teams all about getting as many youth in as possible.

So the Fletcher twins, if they weren't that one, excellent player, would be better suited to learn at Man Shitty, and then when they are ready, move them to United. Sounds sensible to me. Let Shitty do all the investment, then cherry pick who we want.

And, with ex-United players' children, they'll come here if they have the chance, so its low risk.

Theo88

They're both younger than 17.

A substantial fee at that stage (before signing a professional contract) is likely going to be 800k-1m per player I'm guessing. Unless someone has better information?

Also for people arguing why would one pick City youth system rather than Utd.
We need to be serious about this he is firtst a father then a director. He picked what was considered best for his family and he has every right to do so.

Joseunited

My young fella is 14 and he’s about a foot taller. They need some McTominay growth seeds or it might be just it’s a very old picture
That is not a picture of 2 16 year old.Must be an old photo.

Idxomer

They're both younger than 17.

A substantial fee at that stage (before signing a professional contract) is likely going to be 800k-1m per player I'm guessing. Unless someone has better information?

Also for people arguing why would one pick City youth system rather than Utd.
We need to be serious about this he is firtst a father then a director. He picked what was considered best for his family and he has every right to do so.
It should be way less than that, the club paid 420k for Garnacho when he was 16.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Imagine if these two being on the bench is the thing that keeps United academy products out of the match day squad and loses us the 85 year record

Nero

Imagine if these two being on the bench is the thing that keeps United academy products out of the match day squad and loses us the 85 year record
They'd end up contributing to the record though as they would be making appearances for the U18s if they joined.

Sparky Rhiwabon

They'd end up contributing to the record though as they would be making appearances for the U18s if they joined.
Ah I wasn’t sure what counted, I thought they have to be “United academy product” whereas they are clearly City academy products. Hell, Wayne Rooney was scoring against Arsenal in the Premier League at that age.

Nero

Ah I wasn’t sure what counted, I thought they have to be “United academy product” whereas they are clearly City academy products. Hell, Wayne Rooney was scoring against Arsenal in the Premier League at that age.
Yeah, as long as you've made an appearance for the academy team you count towards the record.