Utd bid to sign 16 year old twins from Man City - Darren Fletcher’s sons!

cyberman

Has any former players kid been turned down? It's just a reality that cities set up is better than hours and some fans find that tough to swallow.
Yeah but there’s a scenario where City went after them specifically to develop their talent in their youth set up versus Fletcher asking the United to take them in because he’s a former player surely?
One scenario has them at United at a club that doesn’t want them only because Darren is their dad versus City who only want the Players since Fletcher means feck all to them

KevinJoh

Not sure what to think about Fletcher situation here regarding his kids playing for City. As he is in the position he is, it is not something you can just pass by and say OK, it is normal. It is not normal as you need to attract other talents to United, while you are letting your kids playing for rivals Academy which means that you think it is the better one.

On the other hand, they probably started before he was in the role, and it is hard to make a switch for kids as probably they are integrated, play with friends there. At the age of 13-15 with hormones and stuff, not sure it would be smart. Also, it would probably means hey he brought his kids immediately and now they have to play above other kids.

Our Academy definitely did not have great eye for talents in the last 10-15 years, and you can not compare it with City if we are honest. You can name 20-30 players from City Academy that made good career in the last 7-8 years, and you will hardly name 10 from ours. Sure, we are playing a few in our team, they are not that much into promoting, but again kids want to have career at the end, if they are not huge fans of the club and they are certainly not born as fans of City right.

Regarding quality of Fletcher brothers, obviously there is some. I did not see them play, but the fact is that Jack is England international at his age level, and with him we now have Fitzgerald, Lacey, and bought him and Ammas, and I cann't remember when was the last time we had 4 in one age group. So, lets be happy because of that. Not sure if Tyler is good enough, but probably it is not possible to get one of the twins, and it would not be right. And as Scottisch international at that age group I guess he is good potential as well.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yeah but there’s a scenario where City went after them specifically to develop their talent in their youth set up versus Fletcher asking the United to take them in because he’s a former player surely?
One scenario has them at United at a club that doesn’t want them only because Darren is their dad versus City who only want the Players since Fletcher means feck all to them
You're going off on weird hypotheticals when the facts are his kids were at citys academy, and now United have signed them for a fee. If it's a case of united didn't want them when they were younger, is that not another example of our academy not being up to scratch if they couldn't spot their talent at a younger age, but city could?

Regardless of all that, the most likely and obvious scenario is that he simply wanted them at citys academy because it's genuinely better.

Archer

Has any former players kid been turned down? It's just a reality that cities set up is better than hours and some fans find that tough to swallow.
There were so many of them being turned down or released by United over the years, like Phil‘s son,Butt's son,Savage's son(not Charlie, the other one) ,Giggs's son,Beckham's son, Meulensteen‘s son,even Sam Allardyce‘ grandson.
It's just a reality that Cities picked up someone that turned down by United and some fans find that tough to swallow.

mav_9me

So the technical director of Manchester United had both his sons enlisted at Manchester city football club. Fantastic.
You're going off on weird hypotheticals when the facts are his kids were at citys academy, and now United have signed them for a fee. If it's a case of united didn't want them when they were younger, is that not another example of our academy not being up to scratch if they couldn't spot their talent at a younger age, but city could?

Regardless of all that, the most likely and obvious scenario is that he simply wanted them at citys academy because it's genuinely better.
So what does it mean that they moved to United now? Do we have the better academy for 16 y/o and older?

Or are you going to say its nepotism now?

Archer

Only one of them is decent, but they come as a pair apparently
It's the same situation as McAtee, isn‘t it? You either take him and his brother or neither of them. When United released his brother, his father immediately took him away from United.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
So the technical director of Manchester United had both his sons enlisted at Manchester city football club. Fantastic.
His kids have been at City's academy longer than Darren's been in his role at United. He was hardly going to pull them out just because he's now got a high level job at United. That would be selfish as feck.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
As seemingly hard as it is to understand for some, Jack and Tyler are in fact their own people and have made their own decisions on where to play football in the past and present.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
As seemingly hard as it is to understand for some, Jack and Tyler are in fact their own people and have made their own decisions on where to play football in the past and present.
Should pin this post or add thread mark.

Archer

You can name 20-30 players from City Academy that made good career in the last 7-8 years, and you will hardly name 10 from ours
You can barely name 5 players from City Academy that made good career in the last 7-8 years, let alone 20-30.In fact, their academy produced players like Trippier,Ireland,Sturridge and co that actually made good career 15 years ago,it seems their academy is much worse right now.
In fact, piece of analysis of CIES which has sought to identify which academies have produced the largest frequency of players that currently play in one of Europe's top five leagues tell you everthing you need to know.

https://www.givemesport.com/8807501...arsenal-20-best-academies-in-the-world-named/

Last edited:

Bigsid

Not sure what to think about Fletcher situation here regarding his kids playing for City. As he is in the position he is, it is not something you can just pass by and say OK, it is normal. It is not normal as you need to attract other talents to United, while you are letting your kids playing for rivals Academy which means that you think it is the better one.

On the other hand, they probably started before he was in the role, and it is hard to make a switch for kids as probably they are integrated, play with friends there. At the age of 13-15 with hormones and stuff, not sure it would be smart. Also, it would probably means hey he brought his kids immediately and now they have to play above other kids.

Our Academy definitely did not have great eye for talents in the last 10-15 years, and you can not compare it with City if we are honest. You can name 20-30 players from City Academy that made good career in the last 7-8 years, and you will hardly name 10 from ours. Sure, we are playing a few in our team, they are not that much into promoting, but again kids want to have career at the end, if they are not huge fans of the club and they are certainly not born as fans of City right.

Regarding quality of Fletcher brothers, obviously there is some. I did not see them play, but the fact is that Jack is England international at his age level, and with him we now have Fitzgerald, Lacey, and bought him and Ammas, and I cann't remember when was the last time we had 4 in one age group. So, lets be happy because of that. Not sure if Tyler is good enough, but probably it is not possible to get one of the twins, and it would not be right. And as Scottisch international at that age group I guess he is good potential as well.
Be careful you will be called a City fan! We tried to sign them at 9 and they decided to go elsewhere. The Fletcher situation came about as they were disappointed by the offer regarding money from City despite being offered 3 year professional deals (same as all the boys there). At that point Darren moved them to United as was the logical step and they have been offered more with us. We offered Harrison in an exchange and the rest is history.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's the same situation as McAtee, isn‘t it? You either take him and his brother or neither of them. When United released his brother, his father immediately took him away from United.
The briefs when City got McAtee were hilarious. They said that this is their Ryan Giggs moment.

Crimson King

Didn't know that about McAtee, seems somewhat petty by his dad though.

crossy1686

career ending
I heard from a pretty reliable source that they only wanted one of them.
That’s generally the way but clubs always sign a couple of players to help the one they want integrate with a mate at this level, easy decision when they’re brothers. However it’s common for the lad that they signed as a mate to the one they really wanted to then go on and be the one that makes it. Footballs weird like that, or people are I guess. Maybe it’s arriving somewhere and seeing you’re well below the required level starts a fire in some people?

KevinJoh

at this moment they are, but since they are with City since age of 7, I doubt it was their decision and not fathers, as at least my kids at that age were not able to chose where they want to train, but have to go where mom and I took them

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
So what does it mean that they moved to United now? Do we have the better academy for 16 y/o and older?

Or are you going to say its nepotism now?
Yeah. Can't imagine the director of Real Madrid sending his to two sons to Barcelona academy no matter what you say though.

Last edited by a moderator:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Who is more talented - these two or the one that went the other way?

Gavinb33

Yeah. Can't imagine the director of Real Madrid sending his to two sons to Barcelona academy no matter what u say though.
They signed for City when they were 7 was Fletcher even at United at time, if they signed them now they must think there is a reason to and from what it looks like it's basically a straight swap for a player that was going to leave us anyway

Bigsid

They signed for City when they were 7 was Fletcher even at United at time, if they signed them now they must think there is a reason to and from what it looks like it's basically a straight swap for a player that was going to leave us anyway
Fletcher was at the club of course when they went to City. You cant blame him for engineering the move back across given his role at the club which has obviously changed in recent times. He can now help dictate their development which will fast track them through to the 21s as soon as is viable. They are on one of the best deals at the club and good luck to both lads.

Red_toad

No he returned to United in 2020. He’d have been at west brom back then

mav_9me

Yeah. Can't imagine the director of Real Madrid sending his to two sons to Barcelona academy no matter what u say though.
Firstly just to clarify, you agree that our academy is now better than City, as evidenced by the fact these 2 guys are moving from city to United?

Secondly how about players switching between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid?

Bigsid

Its a very clever business model over there. As some on here will rightly point out only two have become first team regulars over the last few years. However, the level of player is much higher across the groups with many having their progress accelerated then sold. I believe almost all of the u17s from last year have been moved ro the u21s meaning the u18s side will mainly be young first years. To illustrate this look at just one age group that won the Youth cup. Though the majority of those below are homegrown obviously a few have been bought in later. A potemtial return of close to £100 million.

Shea Charles £10,000,000
Juan Larios £7,000,000
Darko Gyabi £5,000,000
Sam Edozie £10,000,000
Romeo Lavia £10,000,000
Carlos Borges £14,000,000 potentially to West Ham
Bazunu £12,000,000
Trafford £19,000,000
Callum Doyle will be worth £8-10,000,000 after loan also i would imagine.

KevinJoh

You can barely name 5 players from City Academy that made good career in the last 7-8 years, let alone 20-30.In fact, their academy produced players like Trippier,Ireland,Sturridge and co that actually made good career 15 years ago,it seems their academy is much worse right now.
In fact, piece of analysis of CIES which has sought to identify which academies have produced the largest frequency of players that currently play in one of Europe's top five leagues tell you everthing you need to know.

https://www.givemesport.com/8807501...arsenal-20-best-academies-in-the-world-named/
A few players you might remember Foden, Sancho, Diaz, Frimpong, Ilic, Lavia, Angelino, Ihenacho, Nmecha, Garcia...

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
You're an eejit if you think our academy is 'shit', it's not fifa, where you arbitrarily upgrade it and unless it's at least a 3/5 then you simply can't get players above an 75 rating.

It might be a bit behind in terms of truly modern, elite academies but every amazing player who ever played before 2010 also didn't have access to this mythical 'academy' that people seem to think exists.

Nobody even begins to know the reasons for his kids being at city. It likely isn't a single reason like the chimps online will be able to comprehend. Like lost things in life there will likely have been a whole host of reasons and considerations and unless you're happy acknowledging that discussing those reasons is complete speculation then why bother?

Surely the key thing is we've agreed deals for two very highly rated young players? It isn't like our academy hasn't produced any talent, Rashford and Greenwood alone are more than City's ulta super amazing incredible 10/10 academy.

We have an excellent academy. I'm sure it could do with some sort of improvements but really, what do you think those are? Do you think the lads don't have pitches? Balls? Gym equipment? Do they not have training bibs? Coaches? Boots?

Pretty sure all of those things are there and the United academy is still one of the best in Europe. Last I knew it was second only to Chelsea in the country for producing players who went on to play in one of the top 5 leagues.

Of you're going to make ridiculous claims like Fletcher sent his kids to the City academy years ago because the gulf between the theirs and ours is so huge that ours was considered simply "too shit" then you need to at least provide some context and evidence for this. Break down the differences, why is theirs so much better etc.

Because otherwise you're just taking the dumbass route of being emotional and cynical because it takes zero intelligence to do and it's easy for a moron to just be angry, it's much more difficult to be measured, objective and logical.

So please, do provide a nice run down that explains the gulf in class between the two and how you know this, or acknowledge that you're just talking out of your arses because it's just the easy, lazy thing to do.

Quick search and it seems our academy is still the second most productive in the country and within the top 10 in Europe. City don't even make that list. They seem much more to be talent farming, knowing full well they will sell 90% on and their academy is more of money making business than one that really nurtured it's talent with the main goal of bringing them into the first team. Which is fine but not how I'd rather our club viewed it's academy, we actually have a history of this mattering and I'd prefer that to continue.
Nice rant.
Please share details of your search and I'll present a case for City's Academy being the more successful over the past decade since it has received the funding to enable it to compete with such as Chelsea and United.
Thanks.

Real Name

His kids have been at City's academy longer than Darren's been in his role at United. He was hardly going to pull them out just because he's now got a high level job at United. That would be selfish as feck.
Why dont you let him moan. He's really good at it. Leave him be.

Real Name

Do it. Name them.

Archer

Be careful you will be called a City fan! We tried to sign them at 9 and they decided to go elsewhere. The Fletcher situation came about as they were disappointed by the offer regarding money from City despite being offered 3 year professional deals (same as all the boys there). At that point Darren moved them to United as was the logical step and they have been offered more with us. We offered Harrison in an exchange and the rest is history.
Well, Mr James Ducker clearly had different info regarding this.
A few players you might remember Foden, Sancho, Diaz, Frimpong, Ilic, Lavia, Angelino, Ihenacho, Nmecha, Garcia...
Lavia,Ihenacho,Sancho,Ilic are not their academy players, they just used by City to pretend their academy player.
If you claim someone like Ihenacho is their academy player, you may just claim Martial as United academy player.
Although Lingard got so much abuse from United fans, none of City's academy player has a career as good as Lingard, in fact, they would dream of having a career like him. And you believe someone like Angelino who move to Galatasaray in his prime year says enough you need to know about how bad their academy is.

Bigsid

All the lads below will play in this country or in the top 5 leagues in Europe this season. All having good careers undoubtedly. Only 3 of them have had the opportunity (Foden, Lewis, Palmer) to play in Citys first team. Given the status of the first team it is an almost impossible task to produce players by the age of 18-20 to be at the level required to be first team regulars. As said above its a business model that mainly harvests talent rather than produces first team players for the club.

Shea Charles
Juan Larios
Darko Gyabi
Sam Edozie
Romeo Lavia
Carlos Borges
Gavin Bazunu
James Trafford
Callum Doyle
James Mcatee
Tommy Doyle
Lukas Nmecha
Felix Nmecha
Danny Grimshaw
Tom Dele Bashiru
Fisayo Dele Bashiru
Angus Gunn
Rico Lewis
Eric Garcia
Kelechi Ichenacho
David Brooks
Taylor Harwood Bellis
Joe Hodge
Tyrese Campbell
Aro Muric
Tosin Adaribiayo
Phil Foden
Jadon Sancho
Lewis Fiorini
Taylor Richards
Cole Palmer
Brahim Diaz

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
All the lads below will play in this country or in the top 5 leagues in Europe this season. All having good careers undoubtedly. Only 3 of them have had the opportunity (Foden, Lewis, Palmer) to play in Citys first team. Given the status of the first team it is an almost impossible task to produce players by the age of 18-20 to be at the level required to be first team regulars. As said above its a business model that mainly harvests talent rather than produces first team players for the club.

Shea Charles
Juan Larios
Darko Gyabi
Sam Edozie
Romeo Lavia
Carlos Borges
Gavin Bazunu
James Trafford
Callum Doyle
James Mcatee
Tommy Doyle
Lukas Nmecha
Felix Nmecha
Danny Grimshaw
Tom Dele Bashiru
Fisayo Dele Bashiru
Angus Gunn
Rico Lewis
Eric Garcia
Kelechi Ichenacho
David Brooks
Taylor Harwood Bellis
Joe Hodge
Tyrese Campbell
Aro Muric
Tosin Adaribiayo
Phil Foden
Jadon Sancho
Lewis Fiorini
Taylor Richards
Cole Palmer
Brahim Diaz
Like clockwork.

Bigsid

Like clockwork.
Am sure we would also have a healthy number. Its a debate. The investmemt from across is huge compared to the money the Glazers have allowed therefore it stands to reason the outputs will be greater over time.

iHicksy

Yeah. Can't imagine the director of Real Madrid sending his to two sons to Barcelona academy no matter what you say though.
Not being funny buddy, but Barca Madrid rivalry isn't even a notch comparable with United/City. City have never been our rivals, and they will never be that kind of rivary from our side towards them. To most United fans, even pre cheating/corruption city were just a footnote in that they were rivals by location.

We've never cared about them, and even now their victories are hollow for most of us and don't stir even a quarter of the intense hatred and passion that exists between Madrid Barca. Our Rivals in that sense are Liverpool and are the only club that for us that are comparable to Barca/Madrid. I'd agree if Fletcher had his sons at Pool it would be something to get in an uproar about, but i'd imagine he see's city as the same as us, they were location wise ideal for his kids city just don't mean that much to him.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I wonder how many of the people moaning about Fletchers sons playing for city at under 16s even knew that Fletcher had sons.

Some people are just pearl clutches I guess.

KevinJoh

Lavia,Ihenacho,Sancho,Ilic are not their academy players, they just used by City to pretend their academy player.
If you claim someone like Ihenacho is their academy player, you may just claim Martial as United academy player.
Well, not sure they are in the same category as Martial never played or have been licenced as our U18 player. More like is Pereira our Academy player, or Fosu Mensah, Januzaj or Garnacho...and I think they are, although they did not start career with us as 7 years old. Yes, they bought them at one stage, as beside those born in Manchester and around, all Academy players have been bought once. My thoughts is that they did great in scouting potential players, obviously did something good to over the 10 years period produced more good players that have solid career in world football, but failed to introduce in their own team more of them. Yes, they are selling them, but it is better for players to sell them as 19-20 years old to play somewhere, than to keep them until they are 21 or over and without proper games for a year or two like we did with Gomes for example.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Not being funny buddy, but Barca Madrid rivalry isn't even a notch comparable with United/City. City have never been our rivals, and they will never be that kind of rivary from our side towards them. To most United fans, even pre cheating/corruption city were just a footnote in that they were rivals by location.

We've never cared about them, and even now their victories are hollow for most of us and don't stir even a quarter of the intense hatred and passion that exists between Madrid Barca. Our Rivals in that sense are Liverpool and are the only club that for us that are comparable to Barca/Madrid. I'd agree if Fletcher
had his sons at Pool it would be something to get in an uproar about, but i'd imagine he see's city as the same as us, they were location wise ideal for his kids city just don't mean that much to him.
I like the way you speak for all United fans, "we've never cared about them" "he sees city the same as us" , don't mean to be rude mate, but speak for yourself. I hate City, always have.