Utd concerned that Jose will resign in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Peril

People can say whatevee they want about Mourinho, but who the hell would replace him? This is Manchester United - it’s an entire different job compared to smaller clubs like Monaco, Spurs or wherever the obvious candidates might come from. You’re not only managing the squad and expectations, you also get the media attention. You need organizational skills as well as huge charisma. That’s the main reason why Moyes failed, he has no charisma and the players probably felt he was too weak from the start.

Right now - I really don’t see a single candidate that would be better than Mourinho. Pochettino is probably the one most people wants, but he has never managed a big club and seems to enjoy life at Spurs where nobody expects him to deliver any silverware. The media doesn’t care about Spurs, he can continue his project in his own way and most of their fans didn’t live when they last won the league.

People have been shouting about Nagelsmann as well, but I really don’t think this is the place for a 30 yeard old kid. Like I said, organizational skills and charisma is everything.

el3mel

The guy has went on and talked recently about his transfers plan next summer. Makes zero sense he's planning to design if he's already planning for next summer, unless the board refused to give him money which makes zero sense either.

Him living in a hotel or not is starting to get massively overrated point. The board didn't hire him to be in touch with the city traditions or live in a house. They hired him on a 3 year contract to work for the club. He's not forced to love the city or buy a house here if his family is living in London.

That's the 2 points this article is based on. Pretty BS.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
@Peanut Butter
But has Lawton had any Utd exclusives in the past?
Normally Custis etc are involved in a Woodward briefing, it just seems to be Mourinho week at the Mail after their exclusive from last night.
Think he broke the Lukaku transfer. I think he's pretty credible and wouldn't run a story like that unless he had some solid info.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
So i'm guessing Pepcafe will be happy with this news? Maybe we can get Pochettino in to show Mourinho how to win the league?

Pearl of Wisdom

Could it be the transfer window being open? Angling for more funds than he has been offered to reinforce?

Who knows really?

Last edited by a moderator:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Think he broke the Lukaku transfer. I think he's pretty credible and wouldn't run a story like that unless he had some solid info.
The article literally speculates that he must be unhappy because he commutes to see his family frequently.

You can tell when he sprinkles words like "seemingly unsettled".

Serious click bait.

Nick7

Doubt he's bringing the squad with him.
We'll be left with a squad made from Fergie, Moyes, LVG, and Mourinho. Very little cohesion with another manager to come in and try and stamp his own style. We've seen that the failures that have come building on from Fergie's team. This would just be starting again. We need continuity, not another upheaval.

Donnie Brasco

The Scholes part just reads like someone is feeding the Journalist what to say word for word. :lol:

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Mourinho is unhappy, though. I think it's in the best for all parties to cut ties soon. It seems he has fallen out of love for the game and I don't think he's truly adapted well enough in the past few years.
It has nothing do with the game. He's fed up with our board or more clearly the Glazers.

It's clear they don't want to spend anymore money and that's why they denied him Perisic. They are happy with top 4. Just look at the figures since Jose arrived, we are spending on par with Liverpool and little more then Tottenham both of them are spending money on a new stand and stadium. Chelsea and City have spent more than us.

We are the club with the highest revenues in football and Mourinho is clearly being fed up with begging for more signings and spending.

Last edited:
Reactions: jojojo

Devil may care

Not bothered, if I thought he could be trusted to continue to go the way we did at Everton then it might be different, but he reverts to type too often and his ideals are hard to shift.

My guess is this is transfer related though, he wants backing now and this is another little jostle following on from the article last night that was briefed about the board not liking his criticism of their spending.

Borden

We'll be left with a squad made from Fergie, Moyes, LVG, and Mourinho. Very little cohesion with another manager to come in and try and stamp his own style. We've seen that the failures that have come building on from Fergie's team. This would just be starting again. We need continuity, not another upheaval.
If we wanted continuity we shouldn't have hired Mourinho in the first place.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There’s literally nobody better who could replace him. Don’t think he’ll go at the end of the season though.

Infra-red

So i'm guessing Pepcafe will be happy with this news? Maybe we can get Pochettino in to show Mourinho how to win the league?
Remind me how many league titles, or indeed trophies of any kind, Pochettino has won in his managerial career?

IrishRedDevil

I'm a huge Jose fan but I would lose all respect for him if this did happen. Imagine if Pep chased him out of Manchester, feck me.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The article literally speculates that he must be unhappy because he commutes to see his family frequently.

Serious click bait.
I disagree. As far as Journos go - Lawton is one of the good ones and breaks stories quite regularly.

Womp

idiot

Serious click bait.
I don't doubt that is affecting his mood, he's really close to his family and such. To suggest he wants to leave because of it makes no sense though, it's hardly like he took the job without knowing it'd be a factor.

Skills

Snitch
I remember last year the outrage on here when Luke Shaw gave some interview defending himself about his attitude/training etc. Everyone was morally outraged that he's bringing unrest to the club by not just getting on with his job.

Yet here's our manager, the leader of the pack and he's constantly in the papers moaning about one shit or the other. A new contract, flirting with PSG, lack of transfer funding, potentially resigning, picking fights with club legends over close to feck all.

Razvan

I find it weird that so many people seem indifferent about Mourinho potentially leaving in May. I get that he's not the most popular manager alive, but who would replace him in the summer? I can't see many available and proven options other than Ancelotti.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Bring back the big man, I'm starting to think he's the only one who can win us the league again. And I'm not talking about Moyes.
I'm actually still not quite over him retiring.

cyberman

@MaxiPaxi
But there is no info in the article, its a story about Jose travelling to London on a more frequent basis stretched wafer thin.
We all know he lives in a hotel and who says he even has to go out in Manchester in his spare time? Its a nothing commute in a private jet.
Edit he doesn't even credit an insider, just an observer.
Feck I could be an observer

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
Honestly if this is true then what a fecking loser... Things are not going his way so he chucks his toys out the pram and moves to PSG? Wtf, it's your job to fix things! It's like he expects everything to be ready made and handed to him...
(IF the story is true)

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
The guy has went on and talked recently about his transfers plan next summer. Makes zero sense he's planning to design if he's already planning for next summer, unless the board refused to give him money which makes zero sense either.

Him living in a hotel or not is starting to get massively overrated point. The board didn't hire him to be in touch with the city traditions or live in a house. They hired him on a 3 year contract to work for the club. He's not forced to love the city or buy a house here if his family is living in London.

That's the 2 points this article is based on. Pretty BS.
BS indeed.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Isn't this the same paper that said Jose lost the dressing room and that Lingard is unhappy with Mourinho?

If he leaves, I feel sorry for the next manager that will come in. Cause everybody will be excited, if they like the appointment, but when things turn sour, they will get their forks and knives out again to start the bashing. Cause this is what they do.

It will be another vicious circle with arguments, references to great SAF and more opinions to who should be our next manager.

gulli_G

Since Mourinhio, for the 1st time in ages we are actually getting linked to top class players for our problem positions. We are improving, sitting 2nd in the league above last year's champs, albeit a point.

He's the only manager to have taken on Pep and got the upper hand. No but there are some ridiculous fans who would rather have Giggsy or any other flavour of the month.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This wouldn’t surprise me in the least bit. Why would you live out of a hotel if you viewed the job as a long term project?

2-3 years tops is what I thought from the start.

Womp

idiot
I remember last year the outrage on here when Luke Shaw gave some interview defending himself about his attitude/training etc. Everyone was morally outraged that he's bringing unrest to the club by not just getting on with his job.

Yet here's our manager, the leader of the pack and he's constantly in the papers moaning about one shit or the other. A new contract, flirting with PSG, lack of transfer funding, potentially resigning, picking fights with club legends over close to feck all.
Direct quotes and ramblings from the media are two different things pal.

Charles Miller

Off topic: i know the cool thing these day is: - you cant trust the "mainstream media", but there's any paper that you guys trust? Legit question. Because everytime there's a link to some publication people will say: "oh, but its just the Mail, oh, but its the Guardian, its only Marca, BBC.."

Skills

Snitch
Direct quotes and ramblings from the media are two different things pal.
There was no direct quote from Shaw as well. Yet it was assumed it came from his mouthpiece.

Castia

I wouldn’t be surprised, I’ve had a feeling for a while that he’s not 100% in this job.

el3mel

I hope those who keep saying they don't care about him leaving this summer are so confident of us getting a top manager that will lead us to glory next season, because I only see us going straight to a disaster if Mourinho leaves that summer!

The new manager will arrive then oh it's world cup no time for transfer, then oh I have to assess the squad one season before adding or removing any thing, then oh don't ask me for results in my first season till I assess the team, then we finish outside top 4, the manager gets the sack, rinse, repeat.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Bring back the big man, I'm starting to think he's the only one who can win us the league again. And I'm not talking about Moyes.
I'm actually still not quite over him retiring.
It would only be a short term fix

Same thing would happen again once Fergie retired

Infra-red

Off topic: i know the cool thing these day is: - you cant trust the "mainstream media", but there's any paper that you guys trust? Legit question. Because everytime there's a link to some publication people will say: "oh, but its just the Mail, oh, but its the Guardian, its only Marca, BBC.."
As others have said above, the writer is more important than the publication. Matt Lawton knows his onions.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Remind me how many league titles, or indeed trophies of any kind, Pochettino has won in his managerial career?
It was a bit tongue in cheek. I didn't think it would need any white text!

Womp

idiot
There was no direct quote from Shaw as well. Yet it was assumed it came from his mouthpiece.
Yes there was though. He literally came out and said himself that he wasn't being fully committed? Besides, I don't remember many people saying it was 'unsettling the squad', there were some people with the opinion that it's a valid reason why he wasn't featuring for us though iirc.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I disagree. As far as Journos go - Lawton is one of the good ones and breaks stories quite regularly.
Player transfer is one thing - he can have good sources with agents that give him the information. But eluding to reasons such as "LVG used to take strolls in Manchester but Jose doesn't" to aid a conclusion that he's resigning in May is just silly. The journalist is only as good as his sources at the end of the day.

With players he seems to be backed with a source to give him credit. With this the reasons seem quite fairy like.

I don't doubt that is affecting his mood, he's really close to his family and such. To suggest he wants to leave because of it makes no sense though, it's hardly like he took the job without knowing it'd be a factor.
This. He even speaks of PSG being a low hanging fruit - they would be even further from his family so the argument sort of collapses on itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.