Utd Fans: We now have a BIG responsibility

Lentwood

It is fair to say that Ole's appointment has once again united the fanbase, the players and the staff. Regardless of how we got here and why, with Ole at the wheel it feels like we have a very intelligent, thoughtful man who most importantly really understands the DNA of this club and what it means to represent Manchester United.

It must have been beyond the dreams of the even the most wildly optimistic person that Ole would have such an impact in his first three months in the job. We've beaten Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal and PSG away and are still unbeaten in the league, showing great flair and resilience that some of these players just did not look capable of under Jose and LvG

HOWEVER - it won't/can't always be plain-sailing. As much as we've been better over the last few months, there will come a point, whether it's this season, next season or in five years time, that we go through a bad patch under Ole

I think that now we (Utd fans globally) have pretty much unanimously agreed that Ole is the right man for the job, it's vitally important that we stick by him through thick and thin. We've got to set higher standards for ourselves than the numpties who call for their managers heads after every defeat

This club needs stability, it's needs a management team who understands our values and the fans - it needs Ole, Mick, Michael Carrick, Keiran McKenna and the rest of the current coaching staff

We as fans now have a BIG responsibility. We're going to get what we want - Ole will be given the job. It's our job now to make sure he keeps it. I don't care whether we're on a 6-game losing streak and are 4-0 down at home to Cardiff...we've got to sing Ole's name as loud and for as long as the fans did at Stamford Bridge and in Paris. This is were we really can make a difference and help build something special

Ole and the players have my full, 100% backing and I apologise for not believing more at times this season when it felt like we were going nowhere. Hopefully you all on here feel the same way and we can collectively help take this club back where it belongs!

It might only seem like a small thing but I 100% believe the players feeling the love from Ole AND the fans has been a major part in this turnaround. Let's keep it up! Let's back Ole through thick and thin and let's have Ole at the wheel for the next ten years+

MuranoLover

In a perfect world , it would happen and all will back him up . In today's world - a hard task to ask for , but lets try it , he deserves it , he returned my devil smile!

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Let's stop behaving like a cult.

If it at some point it happens that Ole is no longer the right man for the job..then it will be time.

This top red stuff was the most annoying part of the end of the reigns of Jose and Van Gaal.

Handsome Devil

I don't think it's a big responsibility. If Ole is a natural fit for the club, and it's looking like that so far, then getting behind him and the team is the most natural thing in the world. God knows, it's about time.

Verminator

It is fair to say that Ole's appointment has once again united the fanbase, the players and the staff. Regardless of how we got here and why, with Ole at the wheel it feels like we have a very intelligent, thoughtful man who most importantly really understands the DNA of this club and what it means to represent Manchester United.

It must have been beyond the dreams of the even the most wildly optimistic person that Ole would have such an impact in his first three months in the job. We've beaten Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal and PSG away and are still unbeaten in the league, showing great flair and resilience that some of these players just did not look capable of under Jose and LvG

HOWEVER - it won't/can't always be plain-sailing. As much as we've been better over the last few months, there will come a point, whether it's this season, next season or in five years time, that we go through a bad patch under Ole

I think that now we (Utd fans globally) have pretty much unanimously agreed that Ole is the right man for the job, it's vitally important that we stick by him through thick and thin. We've got to set higher standards for ourselves than the numpties who call for their managers heads after every defeat

This club needs stability, it's needs a management team who understands our values and the fans - it needs Ole, Mick, Michael Carrick, Keiran McKenna and the rest of the current coaching staff

We as fans now have a BIG responsibility. We're going to get what we want - Ole will be given the job. It's our job now to make sure he keeps it. I don't care whether we're on a 6-game losing streak and are 4-0 down at home to Cardiff...we've got to sing Ole's name as loud and for as long as the fans did at Stamford Bridge and in Paris. This is were we really can make a difference and help build something special

Ole and the players have my full, 100% backing and I apologise for not believing more at times this season when it felt like we were going nowhere. Hopefully you all on here feel the same way and we can collectively help take this club back where it belongs!

It might only seem like a small thing but I 100% believe the players feeling the love from Ole AND the fans has been a major part in this turnaround. Let's keep it up! Let's back Ole through thick and thin and let's have Ole at the wheel for the next ten years+
Because our support hasn't stood stubbornly behind underperforming managers, when the media were questioning their positions?
Unnecessary thread.

kr0nix

If it at some point it happens that Ole is no longer the right man for the job..then it will be time.

This top red stuff was the most annoying part of the end of the reigns of Jose and Van Gaal.
/thread

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Yeah. I mean, one always has to keep proving themselves. You back the manager you have if you have faith in them, but blind faith serves no purpose. If Ole isn't performing 2 years in, he will be under pressure and rightfully so. I'm assuming we have high ambitions right? For me it's about direction and potential. If you are implemented the right ideas and moving towards the destination you want to, that's enough even if there are stumbling blocks/lack of trophies

Lentwood

Sir Alex Ferguson publically and passionately asked you to do this for his replacement and you didn't do it. For shame.
How do you know I didn’t....I wasn’t even on RedCafe then and Moyes’ season was one of the four since 2006 i’ve not had a ST as I was unemployed when renewal came around

I’ve backed all three managers vehemently, sometimes against my better judgement, even though none of them felt like the right fit

Ole IS the right fit. The whole point of this thread is that if we agree he is the right fit now, chances are he will STILL be the right fit when we go through a bad patch!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Nah, not for me. This post below expresses perfectly my view too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Club > Manager/Coach or player.

Fans will back Ole as long as they believe he is the right man for the job. In any case we won't see the toxic levels of Jose ever returning to the club.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How do you know I didn’t....I wasn’t even on RedCafe then and Moyes’ season was one of the four since 2006 i’ve not had a ST as I was unemployed when renewal came around

I’ve backed all three managers vehemently, sometimes against my better judgement, even though none of them felt like the right fit

Ole IS the right fit. The whole point of this thread is that if we agree he is the right fit now, chances are he will STILL be the right fit when we go through a bad patch!
Actually, no, that's not how it works. Primarily because that the judgment of him being the right fit is based on events till date whereas a view on him 2 years from now will be based on events till that date. So whether a player/manager is good enough is an ever evolving question - the answer to which may remain the same /changed based on the facts in hand.

Specifically regarding Ole, most posters do believe he's the best pick at the present moment but he has lots to prove at this club. Can he turn our defence into one of the meanest in Europe? Can he make us one of the most dominant teams in possession around? Can he bring stylish attacking football consistently? Can he build a squad well in terms of the players he signs and the ones he lets go? And obviously, can he win/challenge for big trophies.

I'm all for Ole being our next manager. And I hope he improves hugely. But how I feel now doesn't necessarily have to be how I feel two years from now. I do of course hope it is and yes we do have to be balanced and patient in our approach. But not blinkered.

Judas

Open to offers
I'll back him as long as I believe he's the right man, once I stop believing, I'll sadly stop backing him. It doesn't make us better supporters happily watching our ship sink. You'd think people would have learnt that after the last few years, but clearly not.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

I thought you meant now that we are back, we have a responsibility to put on a show whenever we play in Europe.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why would you support a manager unconditionally. If Lukaku never scores another goal you rightly stop playing him and sell him to Accrington Stanley. If Ole starts having Phil Jones take corners, playing 6 at the back and lose 7 times in a row I'd expect you to do the same.

They're here to entertain us and th'eyre paid well for it. If you're shite, you lose your job. And rightly so.

I suggest you join a religion.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I like the sentiment behind your idea, but no. If that happens we're in deep trouble again. At present though I can't see it happening, we are riding a wave of optimism right now.

I only worry that once Ole is given the job full time, things will settle down and we might lose that extra 10%. He seems motivated enough though to keep us riding high.

Revan

Assumptionman
Good God, we had this bullshit on Moyes season, it was unbearable. Ole will get supported as long as he performs. He will likely get an easier time cause of his history with us but if he doesn't perform he will get sacked, and rightly so.

I also don't get the existence of this thread now that he is doing so well. The man hasn't even got the job yet.

Judas

Open to offers
Genuinely think people who make threads like this makes them to seem like better supporters, but it just comes across deluded and not of this world. It's illogical and daft. I might understand it if it was right after the Fergie reign, when many of us knew no better, but we do now.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Do we support Ole even if he gets us relegated? No? Which means you do have a lower limit for support.

Over time, the support base tunes the lower limit based on how the manager has been doing over the years.

You don't decide 6 years before of what kind of support the manager should get 6 years later.

Fergie 7ime

Ole will be perfectly fine in this regard. I remember very vividly that, albeit the temperament was divided here, the match going fans were very much behind the previous one right until the end.

Water Melon

Utd fans are ones of the very very best in the world. If anything, the unconditional support for the feckers after SAF paved the way to the condition that the toxic one left us in. As long as we improve in long-term 20legend will have all the support. If it becomes clear that he is not up to it, then both parties will start looking for something else.

Water Melon

Sir Alex Ferguson publically and passionately asked you to do this for his replacement and you didn't do it. For shame.
:D you would have loved us to stick with Moyes till the very end of his contract, would not you?

beedoubleyou

Good luck. The fans on here who've turned against Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Shaw ect will have no problem in calling his appointment an error at the first sign of trouble. Luckily that toxicity rarely infects the stadium or anywhere that really matters.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This thread is almost embarrassing. It also shows this delusional idea that we Man United fans are some sort of special breed unlike ever seen that have to abstain from normal behaviors when things go south.

This sort of attitude is what had posters on these boards writing absolute nonsense in order to protect unperforming managers like Mohrinho and Van Gaal.

This is quite frankly pure cringe.

If Ole does his job right and isn't out of his depth he'll have the fans full support and I'm sure most would love nothing than that to perpetually happen for years and years. But if he underperforms the fan will rightly feel disgruntled and have every right to demand his sacking. It's that simple.

This cult like attitude some have is what's detrimental in our fanbase. It simply has to stop.

LARulz

This. I am not always an idiot and just follow down a path just because "I am meant to". If things start going wrong on a regular and prolonged period then it will be very much a "thanks but good bye".

Solskjaer is a fan of the club. He will do all he can to ensure it goes perfectly. But if it starts going wrong and he can't get out of it, then he'll know before anyone and most likely jump himself

Rafaeldagold

If we’re on a 6 game losing streak & losing 4-0 to Cardiff I think it’s naive to think he wouldn’t be on the verge of the sack, & rightly so.
Just because it’s Ole we shouldn’t lower our standards & I think Ole would agree! It’s exciting to see what players he brings in & how we’re going to play next year- but if it doesn’t work out then it doesn’t work out.

Lentwood

I think people are missing the point slightly...

At some point, every manager goes through a difficult period. SAF had his, Pep could easily have been sacked after finishing 4th first season at City, as could Klopp who took time to get Liverpool challenging for trophies again.

I think the idea that we back ANY manager unconditionally just because they are manager of Manchester Utd is wrong. The fan base where divided over Moyes, LvG and Jose (especially) from the very beginning. I’m talking specifically about Ole here...I think we all agree he IS the right fit and what I’m hoping for is that when we do lose a few games people won’t immediately start spouting nonsense about inexperience, tactical naivety etc...

I’m not so worried about the fans in tbe ground, not that I am one of them anymore sadly. They tend to be brilliant whatever happens

It’s also not a “top red” post. I didn’t even watch the PSG game. I’d given up and gone out with the missues instead. I’m definitely no top red these days. What I’m trying to do is make a broader point about the fickleness of football fans and how its incredibly detrimental to the stability of some clubs

LARulz

I think people are missing the point slightly...

At some point, every manager goes through a difficult period. SAF had his, Pep could easily have been sacked after finishing 4th first season at City, as could Klopp who took time to get Liverpool challenging for trophies again.

I think the idea that we back ANY manager unconditionally just because they are manager of Manchester Utd is wrong. The fan base where divided over Moyes, LvG and Jose (especially) from the very beginning. I’m talking specifically about Ole here...I think we all agree he IS the right fit and what I’m hoping for is that when we do lose a few games people won’t immediately start spouting nonsense about inexperience, tactical naivety etc...

I’m not so worried about the fans in tbe ground, not that I am one of them anymore sadly. They tend to be brilliant whatever happens

It’s also not a “top red” post. I didn’t even watch the PSG game. I’d given up and gone out with the missues instead. I’m definitely no top red these days. What I’m trying to do is make a broader point about the fickleness of football fans and how its incredibly detrimental to the stability of some clubs
But why not wait for the scenario to occur first? Wait till we do go on an inevitable stumble before this kind of post. No point applying this kind of perspective now when literally nobody is saying he is under threat/people turning against him

Lentwood

But why not wait for the scenario to occur first? Wait till we do go on an inevitable stumble before this kind of post. No point applying this kind of perspective now when literally nobody is saying he is under threat/people turning against him
It’s fine if people don’t agree with me but let me give you a scenario...we lose to Arsenal on Sunday and Lindelof makes a mistake which costs us a goal

What do you think will happen? I think I know. Threads will be full of people saying “top 4 gone”, “ole showed inexperience”, “made bad subs”, “Lindelof not Utd standard” etc etc...

I think much of what happens in football is random (to a certain extent) and to much emphasis is placed on individual decisions made in isolation. If you’ve got the “right” man in charge his position as the “right” man doesn’t change with a few bad results

Let’s use Arsene Wenger as a different example of when it DOES become right to move a man who was the “right” man on. Arsenal fans stuck by him too long. But they hadn’t won the title since 2004(!) It wasn’t a blip in an otherwise great period for the club it was a 10yr downward trend that should have been ended sooner

So I suppose my broader point is IF we appoint Ole and we accept he is the right man now, he must surely be the right man for two/three/four seasons at least?

Alabaster Codify7

Bingo.
It's a fantastic, romantic story that I hope continues for decades. But if Ole starts slipping and we regress, we do what any other big football club would do - we move on and try something new. We are where we are because we've been acting weirdly since SAF left, we've been doing things no other well-run massive club would do.

Judas

Open to offers
It’s fine if people don’t agree with me but let me give you a scenario...we lose to Arsenal on Sunday and Lindelof makes a mistake which costs us a goal

What do you think will happen? I think I know. Threads will be full of people saying “top 4 gone”, “ole showed inexperience”, “made bad subs”, “Lindelof not Utd standard” etc etc...
This is a football discussion website. Of course thats the sort of thing that would happen. People react to things, not always in the most rational of ways. Plus football fans are a fickle bunch.

So I suppose my broader point is IF we appoint Ole and we accept he is the right man now, he must surely be the right man for two/three/four seasons at least?
I just don't know how you can be saying things like this before he's even got the job. Don't you see you're being a tad ridiculous? None of us know if he's going to be here that long, and we certainly aren't going to know by the time this season is over.

He'll be here for years, if he deserves to be. Like any other manager.

Trizy

I stopped reading after the title, very MSL-esque.

Enigma_87

You know who
I wasn't talking to you personally!

You were referring to the Man United fanbase in your original post, Fergie was talking to the United fans in his speech, as was I.
But the man in place sucked...

TsuWave

agreed

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yes let’s get back to blinding following a manager to the hilt again and make them more important than the club.

Ole has my support for as long as he earns the right to manage the club - if at any stage he comes across as grossly incompetent then he will have to be sent on his way.

Hopefully it never has to come to that but yes let’s stop being rawkish and thinking every manager we appoint is a damn messiah.

Cloud7

How about we stop acting like such a cult and worshipping our managers so much. The manager isn’t the club. We aren’t going to have another Sir Alex. Can United fans please accept this.

This pretty much. We’ve gone through this with three managers already where we’ve seen what a hindrance blindly devoting ourselves to the manager in spite of evidence to the contrary can be. Why oh why would you suggest doing it a fourth time.

Unwavering loyalty to a manager or player is NOT a good thing or something we should be advocating for.