Vaccination of Squad

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He said he’s feeling fine. That increases the chance that he was already vaccinated.
People who are jabbed can still get the virus, just means that often the symptoms are less severe. With Jesse saying he's feeling fine, chances are he was jabbed.
Yes and no. Footballers are extremely fit young men. So more likely than most to get asymptomatic or very mild illnesses. Right back at the beginning of the pandemic Hudson-Odoi gave a very similar update to Jesse’s. Ultimately we have absolutely no idea whether or not he’s been vaccinated.

I would be pissed off if he hasn’t.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@mav_9me @WI_Red @Cheimoon @Pogue Mahone

Appreciate the feedback and info. Some very promising data there.

Regarding Doshi, I was under the impression that long-term control groups are out of the question, as those groups have all been offered the vaccine (which of course they would) so it means there will be no customary long-term follow up including a control. Which is not saying anything polarising, it's just saying that's one of the drawbacks in dealing with a pandemic and fast tracking vaccines.

@WI_Red out of keen interest - are you aware of comparable research that has a larger sample size?

Also, with regards to the vaccination of children, has there been anything to strongly suggest that it's not in their benefit to hold off from vaccinating them? The only large study I've seen on the topic is documented here on the BBC (actual study).

Last edited:

mav_9me

There is an absolute shit ton of data which is contrary to what you are showing here but Rob Swanda and Aaron Carroll on Twitter must be right. I live on an Island with a very large uptake so we are seeing the effects on a community in real time. There is no need for people to run the data to try and demonstrate spurious and unconfirmed stats because I know full well how many that go to the hospital or test positive have had one shot, two shots or none.

My comment, which you then jumped on to try and have a fight, was that it “it doesn’t do exceptionally well at either” i.e. preventing hospitalisation or deaths. The fact seems to be that it hasn’t made much difference other than young people here who have previously been very healthy are now starting to get very odd, but severe, ailments…
Show me your data. I dare you.

Mate, it's not their data. If you read the thread, it's from CDC.

Not that it matters to you.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Regarding Dutch biologist Peter Borger, who was introduced as an expert in this thread. He's a creationist who also thinks Darwin's theory on evolution is rubbish.

Do with that what you will

he's a moron

CG1010

Best solution is to put additional movement restrictions for unvaccinated footballers. Its only fair for them being put at greater risk compared to vaccinated footballers. Also this thread is full of anti-vaxxers which is shocking to me.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Regarding Doshi, I was under the impression that long-term control groups are out of the question, as those groups have all been offered the vaccine (which of course they would) so it means there will be no customary long-term follow up including a control. Which is not saying anything polarising, it's just saying that's one of the drawbacks in dealing with a pandemic and fast tracking vaccines.
This is not even slightly unusual when you're dealing with a disease whose potential outcome is death. Oncology trials do not test the experimental drug versus no treatment, and very rarely use a placebo (except potentially as part of a combination where the other treatment is already standard of care).

MemphisThePie

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The clubs should unite against the Premier League. It’s a human right to refuse the vaccine. Read the Nuremberg Code.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The clubs should unite against the Premier League. It’s a human right to refuse the vaccine. Read the Nuremberg Code.
The Nuremberg code is about medical experimentation on humans. Not about having people take a carefully developed and tested vaccine.

You should read it again.

FreddieTheReddie

The same way why people think there are hidden triangles in shows and music videos that silently puts illuminati message inside your head. Or the same way people think bigfoot exists but the footage of it always looks blurry and yet despite of it the footages were deemed to be "proofs" of its existence. Some people love that kind of stuff, when they are able to believe things that they think most people dont know about.
I have similar opinion of any religion but we are supposed to respect them so what can you do about people’s personal beliefs?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
As an antivaxxer I'm proud of the boys using their brains and resisting this nonsense. It'll be to our advantage, when all the other teams are suffering from vaccine induced long covid.
I'm posting this just so someone has said that there is zero evidence that vaccines lead to Long Covid.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

Bottom line is there is ZERO rational grounds for not taking the vaccine. Whereas there is compelling evidence to support that by not doing so, you are putting not just your own health but also that of your compatriots at risk. Besides which, you make yourself a threat to the viability of Covid measures, with potentially serious consequences for your team.

As much as I favour voluntariness in all health measures, it's hard to muster much patience for people refusing the vaccine, and especially in a setting like this, where the (sporting) consequences of infected players could be so large. Surely there is a limit to what sort of price is acceptable to allow fools to be fools.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The Nuremberg code is about medical experimentation on humans. Not about having people take a carefully developed and tested vaccine.

You should read it again.
:lol:

Feckin' hell. The state of some these posts.

Caveat: I suppose they could be (unsuccessfully if so) taking the piss.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As an antivaxxer I'm proud of the boys using their brains and resisting this nonsense. It'll be to our advantage, when all the other teams are suffering from vaccine induced long covid.
Yeah, good point.

But then again - we could lose out on the benefits of having microchips implanted in our players.

I've heard you can use those microchips to enhance player performance.

You need the right connections, of course. But I'm pretty sure at least one of the Glazers is close with Bill Gates and/or Satan. We could have an edge there, for once, over City.

maximus419

Bottom line is there is ZERO rational grounds for not taking the vaccine. Whereas there is compelling evidence to support that by not doing so, you are putting not just your own health but also that of your compatriots at risk. Besides which, you make yourself a threat to the viability of Covid measures, with potentially serious consequences for your team.

As much as I favour voluntariness in all health measures, it's hard to muster much patience for people refusing the vaccine, and especially in a setting like this, where the (sporting) consequences of infected players could be so large. Surely there is a limit to what sort of price is acceptable to allow fools to be fools.
The thing is there is more evidence coming out that the vaccines are not as effective against delta as first thought, sky news did a piece on this recently. You will never get everyone to take vaccines for whatever reason. The problem is, people are falling for the media nonsense that you are a massive threat if you don't take vaccines when the truth is, you can still get covid and pass it on when vaccinated. Why does someone who's been vaccinated and gets covid is less dangerous than someone unvaccinated who has already had covid and has natural immunity? You would condemn the unvaccinated person and deny them rights, yet the vaccinated infected person gets to do as they please!

We need to stop this deliberately divisive attitude that anyone who doesn't get vaccinated is a threat. They aren't and this kind of attitude needs to be challenged. All it will do is make people more divided and we have to accept that we will be living with covid for the rest of our lives as it'll be too expensive to keep vaccinated billions each year. The vulnerable will be the only ones vaccinated in future.

sparx99

Our local theater just closed down current productions because of COVID running rampant through the troup. Every. Single. One. Was vaccinated.
Even if they were all vaccinated it would only take one infection in a theatre crew to force everyone into self isolation. This is why there pingdemic has been a problem for hospitality.

The self isolation rules for double-jabbed is changing soon.

justsomebloke

The thing is there is more evidence coming out that the vaccines are not as effective against delta as first thought, sky news did a piece on this recently. You will never get everyone to take vaccines for whatever reason. The problem is, people are falling for the media nonsense that you are a massive threat if you don't take vaccines when the truth is, you can still get covid and pass it on when vaccinated. Why does someone who's been vaccinated and gets covid is less dangerous than someone unvaccinated who has already had covid and has natural immunity? You would condemn the unvaccinated person and deny them rights, yet the vaccinated infected person gets to do as they please!

We need to stop this deliberately divisive attitude that anyone who doesn't get vaccinated is a threat. They aren't and this kind of attitude needs to be challenged. All it will do is make people more divided and we have to accept that we will be living with covid for the rest of our lives as it'll be too expensive to keep vaccinated billions each year. The vulnerable will be the only ones vaccinated in future.
"Not as effective against Delta as first thought" is no reason whatsoever not to take them. No one serious is questioning that there is a very , very large benefit, the only question is how large the benefit is. The risk of getting Covid AND of passing it on if you do is hugely reduced by vaccination. Immunity through having had Covid also does so, nobody questions that. Hence, it confers the same status in vaccine passports.

This is not a question of divisive attitudes. The simple fact is the vaccines work, and that benefits hugely outweigh any insecurities or risks. Moreover, there is no other way to ensure herd immunity, and hence remove the need for continuing heavy restrictive measures to limit infection rates. Not taking the vaccines is simply irresponsible and ignorant, and people who contribute to putting both their fellow citizens and the functioning of society at large at risk can frankly not reasonably expect to be treated with forebearance.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Why does someone who's been vaccinated and gets covid is less dangerous than someone unvaccinated who has already had covid and has natural immunity?
Fully vaccinated individuals are a) much less likely to contract the virus b) much less likely to suffer severe symptoms should they contract it and c) much less likely to spread it to others.

I mean, that's pretty good - no?

maximus419

Fully vaccinated individuals are a) much less likely to contract the virus b) much less likely to suffer severe symptoms should they contract it and c) much less likely to spread it to others.

I mean, that's pretty good - no?
Nobody is arguing against vaccines themselves, the problem is, people thinking it's right to criticise people who don't take them. You have no right to say what another person thinks is right for them.

Also, immunity will be lost over time and it will vary from person to person anyway. It's not as straightforward as saying person a is less likely to spread it as person b who've had the jabs but their body doesn't generate the same levels of antibodies and therefore one could spread the virus as much as an unvaccinated person. The population at large is at various stages of their jabbed status. Plenty of the first jabbed group now need boosters, proving this theory.

There is no science to prove the level of spread from person to person anyway. People act like science is precise and that there is no marketing involved in making these vaccines. They will make all sorts of claims and people lap it up as gospel. This is still very much a huge trial and to make certain claims is just as irresponsible as some anti vaxxers who claim hospital figures show many vaccinated people admitted.

alexthelion

Immunocompromised individuals, people on immunosuppressive medication, and others with various diseases are unable to get vaccinated.
Not true, I'm immunosuppressed and I've had both jabs, it was the only way to get back on the transplant list. We all had to be jabbed or no transplant.

justsomebloke

There will be millions in that category, people need to get on with their lives instead of listening to the latest infection case rates and death figures. In general, if you came out from a com

Nobody is arguing against vaccines themselves, the problem is, people thinking it's right to criticise people who don't take them. You have no right to say what another person thinks is right for them.

Also, immunity will be lost over time and it will vary from person to person anyway. It's not as straightforward as saying person a is less likely to spread it as person b who've had the jabs but their body doesn't generate the same levels of antibodies and therefore one could spread the virus as much as an unvaccinated person. The population at large is at various stages of their jabbed status. Plenty of the first jabbed group now need boosters, proving this theory.

There is no science to prove the level of spread from person to person anyway. People act like science is precise and that there is no marketing involved in making these vaccines. They will make all sorts of claims and people lap it up as gospel. This is still very much a huge trial and to make certain claims is just as irresponsible as some anti vaxxers who claim hospital figures show many vaccinated people admitted.
1. It's perfectly right to criticise people who don't take vaccines. This isn't religion or taste in music we're talking about. It's not a matter of opinion or world-view whether vaccines work or not. And the right to do as you please only runs as far as not hurting other people. Refusing vaccines does put other people at risk.

2. "Proving this theory"? It's not a theory. It's an open door that you're kicking in. The effect of vaccines, as well as of immunity through having had Covid, fades with time. No one ever pretended otherwise. That is not an argument against taking vaccines. It just means that sooner or later you are going to have to take a booster jab.

Your third paragraph is simply wrong. The science IS solid, and there is ample proof that vaccines greatly reduces the risk of transmission.

choccy77

It wouldn't surprise me if a large majority of black players haven't taken up the vaccinations.

A lot of people I know and have worked with recently who are black, refuse to take the jab.

Other day I was working with a group of 7 and only one person outside myself had had 1 jab only.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Plenty of the first jabbed group now need boosters, proving this theory.
Sure, a possible scenario here is that we will indeed need boosters - as you say - for feck knows how long.

That's not an argument against getting your shots here and now, though - is it? I mean, nobody is saying that getting as many people as possible vaccinated - at this point in time - will solve the problem, definitely and for ever.

That isn't the premise. The question is whether refusing to take the shot - here and now - makes sense, logically, from an overall perspective.

djembatheking

You can`t stop a player from being with the rest of the squad and not allowing him to do his job for refusing to be vaccinated. That would open a huge can of worms and legal issues .

justsomebloke

No it isn't. Nobody has a legitimate right to put their fellow citizens at risk for no good reason. And the Nuremberg code? Seriously?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Not true, I'm immunosuppressed and I've had both jabs, it was the only way to get back on the transplant list. We all had to be jabbed or no transplant.
You’re right, I was generalizing too much. Those with certain conditions can not while others can. Thank you for point out my error. Appreciated.

alexthelion

You’re right, I was generalizing too much. Those with certain conditions can not while others can. Thank you for point out my error. Appreciated.
Pleasure.

I've seen that a lot in various places and it always annoys me.