VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

chris123

TBH I think the most inexplicable thing of the entire day was how only 4 minutes were added on with the new rules around added time. The ball must have been in play for a maximum of 20 minutes in the second half and I felt sure I was going to see double digits at the very least.

ManUnitedCanuck

They need to show/explain these decisions because it ‘s starting to feel like borderline corruption. I mean not only are decisions so inconsistent but they’re starting to actually get easy calls wrong.

That Diaz offside is a complete farce
But, but remember what Dermot Gallagher said, once they put the lines down it’s right. They have all the angles, etc. Yet he seemed to forget that they have already apologized for putting the lines in the wrong place previously.

I think they didn’t even look at the leg of the defender…they were just looking at the player right next to Diaz and said it’s not close so offside. Forgot about the other player on the pitch that could be playing him on.

ManUnitedCanuck

TBH I think the most inexplicable thing of the entire day was how only 4 minutes were added on with the new rules around added time. The ball must have been in play for a maximum of 20 minutes in the second half and I felt sure I was going to see double digits at the very least.
That would be interesting to see if there is a stat for ball in play.

Idxomer

They have obviously scrapped it, a bunch of clueless clowns.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Watch something being done about this because the scouse cnuts have been on the receiving end of it
It’s probably more down to Klopp going apoplectic and Liverpool as a club having the balls to put in an official complaint.

ManUnitedCanuck

They have obviously scrapped it, a bunch of clueless clowns.
Every year they start the season off saying we are going to crack down on this, that and the other. Few weeks in and they don’t care anymore. Happens every season. Remember players having to leave the pitch at the closest point. That lasted about one match week. They just can’t manage games….don’t know how to control the players.

SER19

when it hit 80 i felt so comfortable, i genuinely thought it would be about 10 minutes added.

whatever about var not overturning refs call, it is inexplicable that kavanagh, looking directly at it, didnt give the penalty for handball. truly careless defending, back to the ball, arm out and stops it landing at rashfords feet after it travelling about 25 yards. Romero one not given as hes supposedly too close - but got given a couple of weeks later v arsenal. Its very very hard to believe now, that these refs just wont give united a thing, not out of conspiracy, but fear.

Marauder1

Supports
Ex Liverpool.Football Agnostic
Maybe the refs are being deliberately shit with var to get it scrapped, makes as much sense as some of the decisions this season.

Castia

But, but remember what Dermot Gallagher said, once they put the lines down it’s right. They have all the angles, etc. Yet he seemed to forget that they have already apologized for putting the lines in the wrong place previously.

I think they didn’t even look at the leg of the defender…they were just looking at the player right next to Diaz and said it’s not close so offside. Forgot about the other player on the pitch that could be playing him on.
Yep

I’m 99% sure they didn’t even put the lines down for the Diaz one they had made the decision in seconds it was too quick

Cant wait for Klopp’s interview :lol:

chris123

Maybe the refs are being deliberately shit with var to get it scrapped, makes as much sense as some of the decisions this season.
Honestly I've been convinced this was the case from the very start. These refs all have huge egos so what better way of preserving their ego than self-sabotaging the computer system which does their job for them and makes them obsolete.

Jev

It's a total and complete shitshow. I just don't understand how any single person can actually believe that VAR has improved the sport. It's made it infinitely worse entertainment wise and no better fairness wise.

How many games will Liverpool decide to suspend the ref for?

The way it's already been talked about they're the only ones to be on the wrong end of decisions this season.

slored1

Thought the only big mistake today was the Diaz goal. Not sure why the outrage about all the rest?

Anustart89

They must have put the lines on the other defender by mistake....

That Utd clip, no way it's deliberate handball and no unnatural position or moving hand to ball. They've really screwed up what's meant to be called as handball in the last few years.
The hand clearly comes out just as the ball hits it.

He has 40 yards to judge the flight of the ball, then turns his back to it at which point the arm, naturally, comes out, denies Rashford a shooting chance and slaps the ball out for a corner.

In real terms, who other than Amrabat actually deliberately handles the ball anyway? The guidance says that if the player's taken a risk that the ball will hit it then it's a penalty, like when a player slides. Turning your back to a ball coming in is one such type of risk-taking, especially with such a long time to judge the flight of the ball.

The fact that it was brushed off so quickly fecking stinks, especially in the context of other handball decisions this season. Nobody's suggesting that any of the handball penalties that have been given (slide tackles with hand contact for example) this season are genuinely deliberate, but the hand's position or movement towards the ball is what is considered, and whether the player's taken a risk of making contact.

Jev

Thought the only big mistake today was the Diaz goal. Not sure why the outrage about all the rest?
The Curtis Jones tackle is never a red card. Yet another example of slowmotion and still pictures blurring things, creating the illusion of an intent that just isn't there. His foot slips over the ball, it's happenstance, and everyone who has played football and looks at that challenge live knows that is not a red card. Slowmotion should be banished in the VAR room.

slored1

The Curtis Jones tackle is never a red card. Yet another example of slowmotion and still pictures blurring things, creating the illusion of an intent that just isn't there. His foot slips over the ball, it's happenstance, and everyone who has played football and looks at that challenge live knows that is not a red card. Slowmotion should be banished in the VAR room.
Nah, there is consistency with those decisions and I agree with it. Can't go into tackle studs up and expect that if you win the ball you can just maintain the momentum into other player. Unlucky - yes. Red - also yes.

BootsyCollins

Its the same as Casemiro for us last year, dont think either is red.

The Firestarter

I wonder what Howy is going to say about the Diaz "offside". Has to be the most blatant var error so far

Anustart89

Intent isn't the only red card criterion. Planting your studs with a straight leg on the shin of a planted leg transfers quite a lot of force from you onto the other player and is a big risk of a break. Endangering the safety of an opponent is a red card criterion which is why that's a certain red card. I just wish that they applied that part of the rule to other dangerous incidents like scissor tackles where the player's centre of gravity goes straight above an ankle (that's how Garnacho and Eriksen were taken out for several months), and bicycle kicking an opponent in the head.

C'est Moi Cantona

It was a red card for me, no idea what was up with Neville.

The Diaz offside will take a bit of explaining though, it looked well on.

Jev

Nah, there is consistency with those decisions and I agree with it. Can't go into tackle studs up and expect that if you win the ball you can just maintain the momentum into other player. Unlucky - yes. Red - also yes.
He does not go into it studs first. He goes into it with his toe first and then slips over the ball. There's absolutely nothing reckless about the way he goes into that challenge, the fact that it ends up as a risky impact is entirely accidental. The fact that there's a consistency of making bad decisions does not warrant another one.

cyberman

He does not go into it studs first. He goes into it with his toe first and then slips over the ball. There's absolutely nothing reckless about the way he goes into that challenge, the fact that it ends up as a risky impact is entirely accidental. The fact that there's a consistency of making bad decisions does not warrant another one.
But he is out of control.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Just another day of shambles.

It's like Boris Johnson moved on to referee boss after the PM role. They're absolutely shameless as well.

caid

Was it a straight red or second yellow?
I thought the casemiro decision last season was harsh but you couldn't complain about a yellow there. You'd be lucky to get that little really.

slored1

So you reckon players should be jumping on the ball from above with studs and if they fail to control it, have an excuse of "slipping" when they injure the opponent. You should not in any way end up in a position where an opponent leg could easily be broken because you failed to control yourself when making a challenge. Red all day.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You can get sent off for an accidentally reckless challenge. There doesn’t always need to be intent for a red card.

Jev

Was it a straight red or second yellow?
I thought the casemiro decision last season was harsh but you couldn't complain about a yellow there. You'd be lucky to get that little really.
Straight red.

Jev

Let's agree to disagree. Though I remain convinced that you'd be saying the opposite if it had been against a United player :)

cj_sparky

Be interesting what the PGMOL statement will be on the offside no one has seen lines on yet.

Castia

Things like red cards can be debatable but getting decisions wrong that should take 30 seconds to check with the lines is just unacceptable. It’s a disgrace to be honest.

You have to wonder just how many decisions they get wrong, they’ve shown time and time again that it’s far from an accurate technology

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Redknapp for some reason thinks its the 1970s where you're allowed to stud into someone above ankle hight if you skim the ball.

90 + 5min

You can get sent off for an accidentally reckless challenge. There doesn’t always need to be intent for a red card.
Exactly. I have no problems with red card but that goal being disallowed. Come on. For what?

On other hand, players are becoming to soft and fragile. I remember and miss those days when we had players like Batty, Wise, Jones, Ferguson, Ruddock, Keane and so on. And even further back.

saivet

Just seen the moments in the Liverpool vs Spurs match and I think only the Diaz offside is the big error.

Jones' red card was justified. I think the idea that it's okay as he didn't mean it or his foot slipped on the ball doesn't make much sense. Intentional or not it was a nasty tackle.

Diaz offside looks like an obvious mistake, not sure how they've fecked that one up.

Jota's first yellow locked harsh but it was a foul and apparently he or Liverpool made a lot of fouls. Second yellow is a rash challenge.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Things like red cards can be debatable but getting decisions wrong that should take 30 seconds to check with the lines is just unacceptable. It’s a disgrace to be honest.

You have to wonder just how many decisions they get wrong, they’ve shown time and time again that it’s far from an accurate technology
The most annoying thing for every fan is these ultra marginal calls that no-one would for a second wonder about if the goal was given.
It's not what var was intended for.