VAR and Refs | General Discussion

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He was on his way down. It will never be given nowadays.

There will be no penalty if:

• the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player.
  • the ball touches a player's hand/arm close to their body and has not made their silhouette unnaturally bigger.
  • a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground (but not extended to make the body bigger).
  • additionally, should the goalkeeper attempt to clear a ball from a teammate but fails, the goalkeeper is allowed to handle the ball.
He wasn't falling. He was already on the floor. Falling is when you're slipping or tumbling/sliding and it hits your arm. If you're in control of your body (he was clearly in control as he wasn't in motion) then it's a handball.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That silly falling to the ground rule can't be used bebcause he didn't fall he dropped himself down and toyslly misjudged jt

It's an easy pen
It should still be a pen if they fall as well. That’s on them for fecking up. The rule is bollocks.

But here he threw himself down. It’s a joke.

Danger5

I thought it was a blatant handball. Accidental or not, he prevented Wout getting the ball (illegally) so it should be a penalty.

Unfortunately the Casemiro red was correct. Yes you could argue it wasn't a clear and obvious error by the referee - but hey, any excuse for VAR to stick its nose in, eh? It was a reckless, out of control challenge.

astracrazy

Clear red card , neither were penalties

is what rival supporters will be saying.
Which would be acceptable if the ref looked at both like he did the red.

The fact that somethings the ref is asked to review and some not is pure manipulation, and thats before we get onto how they are shown it.

They made the red look like he didn't even touch the ball.

Edit: ah see the white text ha

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Whoever was in charge of showing VAR replay made sure to help Taylor decide by showing a replay right from the moment Casemiro hit the leg. No idea how it qualifies for a "clear and obvious error".
This is my point.

Taylor was positioned well. He saw the challenge and he must have seen Casemiro go over the ball and catch him because otherwise he would never have given a yellow.

VAR then get involved and tell him what? Yes he did see the challenge, yes he saw him catch the players shin but he was wrong to give just a yellow?

That is NOT clear and obvious.

georgipep

Don't think it was a handball, was shot towards him and he stopped the ball with his body anyway, it also hitting his hand on the way down didn't really change the direction of the ball nor keep it from us.

That tackle on Bruno was definitely a pen. Ridiculous that he didn't spend longer looking at it.

Case one is silly. It's orange. Am fine with a red being given, but also didn't feel it was a clear and obvious error. For many other teams it wouldn't have been looked at. But it makes for a great storyline when it's us.

Feels even more unfair since since his red earlier in the season shouldn't have been a red, and he now misses an extra match due to it.
The problem with the handball was the decision not to even have VAR check. I could be convinced that it was unintentional or natural. But not that it didn't deserve to be reviewed.

NK86

This is why it's a red, you can't fly in with with a stretched leg and studs showing like this even if you get the ball.

Are you kidding? There's challenges like these every game, it's unfortunate for him his foot bounces off the ball. If a red is bandied for this, might as well tell us to start the game with 10 men.

Shit referring again from both Taylor and Marriner. Funny seeing our fans justifying it though.

Chief123

He wasn't falling. He was already on the floor. Falling is when you're slipping or tumbling/sliding and it hits your arm. If you're in control of your body (he was clearly in control as he wasn't in motion) then it's a handball.
I’m not convinced tbh. I’ve watched it back a few times now.

He’s fallen and his hand is planting on the ground in a natural way you would support your fall. I didn’t think he tried to make himself bigger. He even tries to pull his arm away when the ball hits it.

All it’s and buts but I just don’t see them giving that with that particular rule.

NK86

Appeal this fecking shit. I don't care if they ban Casemiro for 10 more games, an example has to be set that we won't keep quiet with this bullshit anymore. You can't just pick and choose what rules are you going to set on a given day and against which team. Never a red, penalties all day long, but if this was reversed, it would have never been given for us.

I want Ten Hag to lay on these cnuts because evidently Klopp and Guardiola's consistent whining actually works. As long as we keep quiet and take it up the chin, they'll always screw us more and more.
Wonder how SAF could absolutely lay into the ref and FA. We really need ETH to do the same. No more sugar coating this nonsense.

Even moreso than the decisions - which were ludicrous - it's nuts that as a sport we're just fine with referees making up injury time in their heads.

Anustart89

He was on his way down. It will never be given nowadays.

There will be no penalty if:

• the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player.
  • the ball touches a player's hand/arm close to their body and has not made their silhouette unnaturally bigger.
  • a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground (but not extended to make the body bigger).
  • additionally, should the goalkeeper attempt to clear a ball from a teammate but fails, the goalkeeper is allowed to handle the ball.
He’s not falling though. He’s standing on all fours for an extended time. It’s not very natural to be stood like that unless you’re a cat or other four-legged animal. Last time I checked, Southampton doesn’t have any four-legged animals playing at the back for them.

arnie_ni

This is my point.

Taylor was positioned well. He saw the challenge and he must have seen Casemiro go over the ball and catch him because otherwise he would never have given a yellow.

VAR then get involved and tell him what? Yes he did see the challenge, yes he saw him catch the players shin but he was wrong to give just a yellow?

That is NOT clear and obvious.
That's why we need to hear the conversations and the first question should be hey ref what did you see there? Let them explain what they thought happened first. That's the only way you can then judge well he hasn't seen what happened so it's a clear and obvious mistake

ManUnitedCanuck

We really need a day when someone walks on the pitch and gives the official a red card for a very poor performance

R'hllor

Good VAR decision for red, shit decision for handball pen. ( only if rules state something else ). Said many years ago, VAR cant be controlled by active refs, it should be made by trained people that have no connection with refs clan, the dynamic between refs can be all sorts.

Dansk

100% bang on. They only time you'll ever hear refs being criticised in a game involving United is when the benficiaries of a decision have been us as we saw after the City game
And then they'll often be criticised for making correct decisions that go in our favour. As we saw after the City game.

Mmm-Qatarian

Ok, if that is a "clear red" for Case then frankly every fecking match should end with at least one player getting sent off. That tackle was no worse than about ten I've seen this season that were not punished with a dismissal.

Shimo

Can understand the red card but, Taylor from the off was adamant about giving them everything and us nothing. Southampton player boots ball away in dissent and does nothing.

Pintu

This is why it's a red, you can't fly in with with a stretched leg and studs showing like this even if you get the ball.

Yes you can show studs playing the ball, he was not endangering the opponent. Another independent event caused him to make contact with the opponent... This is not a red card. And the most ridiculous of it all is VAR intervening and claiming it was a "clear and obvious error" not to send him off.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I’m not convinced tbh. I’ve watched it back a few times now.

He’s fallen and his hand is planting on the ground in a natural way you would support your fall. I didn’t think he tried to make himself bigger. He even tries to pull his arm away when the ball hits it.

All it’s and buts but I just don’t see them giving that with that particular rule.
Yes, you've said it yourself right there. He's FALLEN. Not falling. There is no rules to apply when a player has fallen and is getting back up. It's an interpretation of the rules, which again will differ depending on which ref you get and that's the entire problem.

arnie_ni

Yes you can show studs playing the ball, he was not endangering the opponent. Another independent event caused him to make contact with the opponent... This is not a red card. And the most ridiculous of it all is VAR intervening and claiming it was a "clear and obvious error" not to send him off.
But i dont think he's in control if that other event cause him to cath their player half way up the shin.

Dansk

It's almost impossible to get sent off against United while every move by a United player is scrutinized and penalized as harshly as the rules allow. I'm so fecking tired of it.

Last edited:

redshaw

This rule shouldn't allow players to fall onto the ball to block goals, passes and shots in the box. Players are going to ground way too easily and now they can fall onto the ball.

grahamo

This. He was t falling he was on his hands and knees when he handled it and it looked intentional. Penalty all day long

Stactix

Perhaps it is a red if he came to that decision on his own, I don't think it's clear & obvious.
It was HEAVILY manipulated by VAR to show it in the worst light possible though & I think that's the worst part of this.

James_42

How can Marriner ask Taylor to look for the red and yet in the Chelsea game yesterday he didn't give a single red with a lot more dangerous tackles taking place?
They're dodgy as feck.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
How can Marriner ask Taylor to look for the red and yet in the Chelsea game yesterday he didn't give a single red with a lot more dangerous tackles taking place?
They're dodgy as feck.
Wait, Marriner was the VAR ref in the Leicester/Chelsea game? :lol:

Alright, that's a bit more dodgy given the challenges in that game.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
When there's a similar incident next week in another match it won't get given
Ricardo came down with his studs on Felix ankle and it wasn’t even a yellow, possibly because it was in literally the first minute of the game.

arnie_ni

Wait, Marriner was the VAR ref in the Leicester/Chelsea game? :lol:

Alright, that's a bit more dodgy given the challenges in that game.
Probably plays a major part in him recommending red today. He made a mistake yesterday and won't want to do it again. But that leads to the inconsistency

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Marriner was the Ref yesterday, Graham Scott was VAR.

Different positions to be fair. Marriner is just a terrible ref, not sure how he's still officiating PL games.