VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Idxomer

Another one where KWP wins the ball but takes out the player recklessly at the same time and nothing is given.

Mmm-Qatarian

Genuinely, what just happened to Garnacho was as bad as what Case did. I don't think KWP should be off, I just think it's absolutely insane that Case was sent off.

ty09cali

So scissor tackles are legal now? Injured Garnacho in the process. Got it.

Dan_F

Another one where KWP wins the ball but takes out the player recklessly at the same time and nothing is given.
Yeah I said on the match thread in the first half, slide tackles always endanger an opponent. The reason for the red is that those studs into the shins always look the worse; in reality you might see one of those cause serious injury per season. .

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Amazing how poor the ref was, not even managed to give Southampton a yellow for all their hacks and bullshit.

Proper corrupt.

fallengt

Best english ref my ass. Uefa/fifa should stop invite english ref to their tournament.
FA is Fecking corrupted

Ralaks

Rashford pen was decided within like 2 seconds it should not be checked, absolutely ridiculous. It is like Marriner decided up front that it wasnt a penalty

SuperiorXI

VAR should not be looked at in slow motion. Have you ever watched the boxing and seen someone get twatted slow motion? It looks like they've been hit by a train yet full speed it just looks a normal hit.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
VAR should not be looked at in slow motion. Have you ever watched the boxing and seen someone get twatted slow motion? It looks like they've been hit by a train yet full speed it just looks a normal hit.
Couldn't agree more. They don't run replays in slow motion in the NFL for this exact reason.

humdinger

I find it really frustrating and inexplicable when challenges like Casemiro are a red when others which are clearly more dangerous receive no punishment. He didn’t go in above the ball and didn’t go through the player to get it. If that’s deemed too dangerous then fine but apply the rule consistently.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Officiating is not about accuracy, it's about PR: If they give a penalty to us today for the handball, you get crying and moaning from ABU pundits about the lad's hand being in a natural position. If you don't give the penalty? No headlines. No debates. Nothing. All the referees want is an easy life and there's nothing easy about giving United decisions in the tslksport and twitter era.

Semigoodlookin

The level of officiating is at an all-time low. It is terrible at the moment. If we remove bias from it entirely, fans from every team are complaining about the quality of reffing. The level of hubris on display by the refs is amazing, which I guess is a byproduct of VAR. However, I do not see VAR itself as the problem. I am not against the technology but it is meant to remove doubt, not add to it.

Refs are professional and earn good money in the Premier League. At the moment they are stealing a living because almost every game I see multiple WTF decisions. And I am even talking about watching teams like Liverpool. Many of their games this season I have seen scandolous decisions against them. It is the same for City, Arsenal, or any other team. And yeah, that means it swings both ways and those teams - including United - have scandolous decisions for them too. But why should it swing at all at the level of regularity it currently is?

Dansk

I find it really frustrating and inexplicable when challenges like Casemiro are a red when others which are clearly more dangerous receive no punishment. He didn’t go in above the ball and didn’t go through the player to get it. If that’s deemed too dangerous then fine but apply the rule consistently.
It's simple. The refs go out of their way to be as harsh on United as the rules allow them to be, because otherwise there's an outrage campaign in the media. Anything a United player does is scrutinized to see if it's possible to punish them for it. If the ref gives United anything, they become the target of insane amounts of doubt and criticism by the largely Liverpool-led football media.

Last edited:

Norris

It's so infuriating to see so many inconsistent decisions time and again. First the Cas sending off versus Palace for holding a player's neck, a week later, Pool-Everton players go at it, nothing. Today, yes, Cas did lunge in but he won the ball and it's momentum of that that carries his foot into the Southampton player. Yellow was fair, VAR thinks nope.

Absolutely garbage level of consistency.

Flying high

Consistency is all I ask for.

There was 5 or 6 big, debatable decisions which all went against us today. None totally egregious, but every time the call went Southampton's way. There was a even a distinct similarity with some of the incidents, and we still couldn't get a decision our way.

But I knew we'd get a rough ride when I saw who the ref was, adding Marriner as VAR was like creating some kind of ABU VAR dream team.

I hope the manager roasts them hard.

Dempsey19

4 minutes added time had me climbing the walls.

Garnacho down for quite some time and there was 5 breaks for substitutions.

The math doesn't add up it's as simple as that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
4 minutes added time had me climbing the walls.

Garnacho down for quite some time and there was 5 breaks for substitutions.

The math doesn't add up it's as simple as that.
That boiled my blood. It was like he’d love to have given 3 minutes but knew that was too far so added a minute.

Cpt Negative

It's so infuriating to see so many inconsistent decisions time and again. First the Cas sending off versus Palace for holding a player's neck, a week later, Pool-Everton players go at it, nothing. Today, yes, Cas did lunge in but he won the ball and it's momentum of that that carries his foot into the Southampton player. Yellow was fair, VAR thinks nope.

Absolutely garbage level of consistency.
Especially considering the Fabinho red cards he’s avoided for much worse

Casimero has been sent off because of his name and his reputation. They can’t wait to book or send him off.

There was no difference between the tackle on Bruno in the box compared to the tackle Bruno made outside the box.
I could tell in the first 10 minutes how the ref was going to play, he literally gave them everything

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
4 match ban is excessive. The sport has become so soft. Team is already punished having to play a man down. Maybe suspend for the next match. No need for a multiple match ban for a tackle. Ridiculous.

SER19

Fabinho got away with worse last month.

Should have been a pen for the handball.
Fabinho, saka, Leicester yesterday. You could make a list of 30-40 easily and do the same for softer penalties given than the handball today.

It genuinely stinks where this ref is concerned

marktan

I would happily bin VAR. Yeah sometimes you get the right results, but there's too many ones where you creat wrong results that it makes it not worth it for me.
- Offsides - see Richarlisons goal yesterday. The thinnest of lines, chalks of perfectly reasonable goals time and time again. Infruriating.
- Slowed down tackles = red cards
- Microscopic analysis of handballs in the box = way more game deciding penalties

If they actually tackled these then it could work, but they don't, so for me it's a net negative

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Been a long while since I left Old Trafford so frustrated at the refereeing, which is at least an indication that VAR has made things better.

Not seen all the replays back yet, but the handball is baffling to me. Can understand why the referee didn't give it live, but no idea how the referee and the VAR assistant then don’t agree to review it subsequently.