VAR and Refs | General Discussion

glasgow 21

Why have we imported this incompetent ref from the Australian league when we have our own incompetent refs in the lower leagues waiting for their chance?
Probably Angies Mate. and they love Angie
Just watched the Arsenal highlights again.

Bruno should have walked for that elbow, second one in two weeks now that's gone unpunished.
Ball looks out before the cross, but there's no proper angle to prove it.
Joelinton clearly pushes Gabriel in the back as he jumps for the header.

Absolutely criminal that these refs get away with such shite decisions.
You kinda want to go to the ref and Var and whisper "close your eyes and imagine its a United shirt ,casemiro etc," the result would be Bruno G is red , Havertz red card , ball out and no goal as push in the back plus a hand ball. Simples.

Yakuza_devils

Can we get our football back pre-VAR? It's fecking ruining football with all the incompetent people. They randomly make decision depending on the mood on the day or if they get gig at Abu Dhabi or Saudi.

It's killing football and no one knows about the rules anymore. Fecking every week we have tons of controversial and inconsistent decisions.

Let's get our football back without all these so called experts running our games ruined it further. These people don't take ownership and pride in their job.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Deemed not out of play

Deemed out of play

Too much to ask for a bit of consistency with the officials decision making?
Ir really is the season from hell. Why didn't we aggressive put pressure for this? Liverpool seem to do it for everything. That's not out of play.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Ir really is the season from hell. Why didn't we aggressive put pressure for this? Liverpool seem to do it for everything. That's not out of play.
Stop deluding yourself, even if every VAR decision went our way there is still one unescapable fact, and that is we are a crap team with a ton of underperforming players

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
How did VAR not give red to Havertz, don't think there was more clear and obvious red card this season than that.

Also Bruno G, clear red for that elbow from behind.

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

Little did we know that we had a much better refereeing system for the last 100 years.

In modern day with VAR technology runned by incompetent idiots, we have surprises every damn week.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Remember when Kasabian had the Prem theme song? I reckon Bad Decisions by The Strokes should be the theme song this season.

macheda14

VAR has been utilised terribly this season, but but but just love when it’s poorly impacted a rival. I personally prefer to beat a rival controversially than totally. The salt is far tastier.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah they both seemed clear reds in this day and age. I actually thought the goal was fine though.
Yeah, they are just making up rules on the go. This season has been a terrible for VAR.

ZainCRse7en

First time im hearing what they call "subjective offside". How the fk can an offside be subjective ffs? They are making up these rules as they come along. Its a disgrace.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I hate conspiratorial bollocks, and I don’t think for a second we’ve been deliberately fecked over… but also I think its pretty mental that we’ve had at least 4 big decisions go against us early season that either would, or has been given to other teams in identical situations.. or created a massive public outcry when they weren’t … and one decision apparently given ‘to’ us (the Obama barge vs Wolves) which was debated as almost a national point of interest for two whole weeks, that I’ve since seen happen several times without nary a mention!

None of which absolves how shit we’ve been in general, but feck me I can’t remember a season where we’ve been so blatantly fecked over so much in such a short time. If feels like we’re still getting fecked off Peps bitching over Bruno’s goal last season!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I hate conspiratorial bollocks, and I don’t think for a second we’ve been deliberately fecked over… but also I think its pretty mental that we’ve had at least 4 big decisions go against us early season that either would, or has been given to other teams in identical situations.. or created a massive public outcry when they weren’t … and one decision apparently given ‘to’ us (the Obama barge vs Wolves) which was debated as almost a national point of interest for two whole weeks, that I’ve since seen happen several times without nary a mention!

None of which absolves how shit we’ve been in general, but feck me I can’t remember a season where we’ve been so blatantly fecked over so much in such a short time. If feels like we’re still getting fecked off Peps bitching over Bruno’s goal last season!
I don’t think it’s “gone against us”. I think instead look at who they’re for.

Our disallowed goal v Fulham - identical goal given to City.

Our disallowed goal v Brighton - identical goal given to Newcastle.

Our disallowed pen v Arsenal - identical pen given to City against us.

Our no penalty v Tottenham - less of a handball given for City later.

It should be a national outcry that our referees are allowed to referee in other leagues owned by these nation states. Of COURSE that will influence decisions. How will a referee feel giving something against Newcastle knowing they’ve got a 20k pay packet from Saudi coming soon?

roonster09

Scout

You see how much noise is made in the media when ManUtd gets any decision, it's easy to see why refs take easy way.

Media, pundits controls refs decision making, ofcourse having state backing also helps when refs moonlight.

Longshanks

Havertz was lucky to escape further punishment. Could easily of been a red.

Bruno G should have of been sent off no doubt, that is violent conduct without a shadow of a doubt. That's a mistake IMO.

For the goal I actually think they got everything right there is no conclusive evidence for the ball going out, it's not a foul and the offside is impossible to call.

On the ball not going out though it just shows clearly that they made a mistake with our one against Brighton. Almost identical situation with no conclusive evidence for the ball going out. Yet ours was chalked off. These mistake are totting up and some have been very costly.

By far the worst decision of the day was to award Sheff U a penalty against Wolves. Blatant dive yet again awarded despite a VAR review. That one is a disgrace in all honesty.

AndySmith1990

Agree with Arteta's rant about VAR. Those in charge need to be held accountable like managers and players are, instead of hiding. They refs and VAR assistants should never be the focal points of a football match. But every week we're seeing them feck it up.

Thing is its usually the matches between the top 6 that get the attention, but the inept ref and VAR performances are happening in plenty of other games too

The conspiracy stuff about them being out to get United is hilarious btw. They're fecking decisions up across the board, it's absolutely nothing to do with targeting United. Every team is suffering

Bosws87

Corruption it’s there.

Football as a whole is corrupt to the core in the governing bodies, why the surprise/denial.

robinrooney

Yeah they both seemed clear reds in this day and age. I actually thought the goal was fine though.
I thought it was a foul by Joelinton. He's clearly got 2 arms on the defender, pushing him down and stopping him from jumping/raising his head to clear the ball away.

fallengt

Arteta was right. Goal shouldn't have stood for many reasons, including blatantly pushing.. Why VAR didn't check that after speding hours checking the line.
Bruno should've had redcard for elbow, same goes for Havert, studsip tackle, clear red.

What a rigged match but feck em after they tried so hard to defend Gabriel body pulling on Hojlund. Have a taste of it this time

Last edited:

PoTMS

There's no conclusive angle to say the ball was out of play. So why the feck was our goal against Brighton ruled out? Honestly, I like the concept of VAR but the refs here are ruining it and are clearly not capable of using it. Time to call it quits and replace the PGMOL. Hopefully Howard Webb or some other cnut can create a breakaway organisation which will be held accountable for their decisions and mistakes.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
There's no conclusive angle to say the ball was out of play. So why the feck was our goal against Brighton ruled out? Honestly, I like the concept of VAR but the refs here are ruining it and are clearly not capable of using it. Time to call it quits and replace the PGMOL. Hopefully Howard Webb or some other cnut can create a breakaway organisation which will be held accountable for their decisions and mistakes.
Because we're idiots for putting a camera right along the touchline.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Because we're idiots for putting a camera right along the touchline.
There was no camera angle for that. The angle that was used to rule it out was as bad as the one they couldn’t make a decision on yesterday. There was fan footage which was right down the line which showed it to not have gone out of play.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I mean fine....its Arsenal so its a bit funny for me but how is that Gordon goal not overturned?

How is that Sheffield United penalty given?

WTF is going on?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don't think VAR has ruined the game. Its the incompetent referees who use it have caused all the problem. There is no coherent understanding of rules between them and keep changing those on a weekly basis.

I would like the managers speak out more often. The inconsistent refereeing will only continue to happen. This is a result of over-protection of referees who are just not good at their job and who have no accountability whatsoever. They know that they can do whatever feck they want without having to prove anything to anyone.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I thought it was a foul by Joelinton. He's clearly got 2 arms on the defender, pushing him down and stopping him from jumping/raising his head to clear the ball away.
Two hands in the back of the defender is a foul in my eyes, amazed it was given, although it was at St James' Park, had it been away from home, it wouldn't have been given.

SteveCoppellFan

I do not understand how rugby referees and TMO can get it so right and yet football with VAR are miles off.

Its like football accepts it has rubbish referees and therefore they must protect them as much as possible.

Oranges038

I mean fine....its Arsenal so its a bit funny for me but how is that Gordon goal not overturned?

How is that Sheffield United penalty given?

WTF is going on?
Utd get some shite decisions.

But Wolves have been on the end of the shit stick more often than most other clubs this season.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I thought there was minimal contact and Gabriel was going down already tbh. I dislike Joelinton and hate Newcastle more than Arsenal as well.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We get decisions our way too, such as the Bruno/Rashford “offside” goal. But every so often, we will then be punished tenfold. It’s the cycle with refs and us. Nothing new.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I don't think VAR has ruined the game. Its the incompetent referees who use it have caused all the problem. There is no coherent understanding of rules between them and keep changing those on a weekly basis.

I would like the managers speak out more often. The inconsistent refereeing will only continue to happen. This is a result of over-protection of referees who are just not good at their job and who have no accountability whatsoever. They know that they can do whatever feck they want without having to prove anything to anyone.
You can't separate the two though. If it's humans using the technology, there's always scope for mistakes around implementation, as we've seen. Plus some decisions are so close and subjective, 50% of people will think it's wrong whatever.
I don't think managers should be berating referees all the time- it feeds onto the pitch and also breeds the lack of respect that sees sunday league referees get beaten up.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
You can't separate the two though. If it's humans using the technology, there's always scope for mistakes around implementation, as we've seen. Plus some decisions are so close and subjective, 50% of people will think it's wrong whatever.
I don't think managers should be berating referees all the time- it feeds onto the pitch and also breeds the lack of respect that sees sunday league referees get beaten up.
How come it's not a problem in other sports?

saivet

Just how expensive would it be for the Premier League to have goal line technology enabled for not just the goal but also till both the corner flags? Surely the richest and greatest leaguer ever could afford that? Also, the continued lack of offside technology here the way it was used in the World Cup and in Serie A, is a bit baffling.
It's baffling really. I believe clubs voted against the semi automated offside decision for some bizarre reason. These are two very simple things, where VAR can minimise controversy.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How come it's not a problem in other sports?
Because sports in which it work have always had long breaks in them, so the officials aren’t under the same pressure to make a very quick decision. Plus the issues it’s mainly used for in other sports are more black and white. It’s obviously a lot easier to decide whether a rugby player touched the ball down, or had a foot in touch than it is to decide if a footballer was pulled hard enough to prevent him getting to a cross into the box, or if he fell over because he was avoiding getting clattered vs deliberately diving to fool the referee.

Last edited: