VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
That's a fecking penalty. What world is Neville and those other twats on commentary living in?

McAllister tangles his legs up with Havertz and doesn't get anywhere near the ball.
Agenda against Havertz? I thought if ref gave it var wouldn't intervene, at the same time ref on pitch has a good view and no need to use var.

Is this not a foul?

Without having watched the game and seeing that clip for the first time...no. Keeper let himself get off balance into a weak stance and a simple shoulder challenge pushed him away from the ball.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
No it isn't. The keeper is incredibly weak there.
So it's ok to back into a keeper off the ball?

Just weak keeping and defending - where is his protection?
I agree that he needs protecting, we allowed it to happen every single corner. Personally I don't like that it's apparently fine for a player to stick their arse into the keeper and back in while he's trying to deal with a cross but we need to handle it better next time.

tomaldinho1

I agree that he needs protecting, we allowed it to happen every single corner. Personally I don't like that it's apparently fine for a player to stick their arse into the keeper and back in while he's trying to deal with a cross but we need to handle it better next time.
It's more that the contact is so minimal, it means basically anyone touching the keeper would mean a freekick. Personally, I think if he's smart he can just go down straight away and VAR would be forced to give a freekick because there is undeniable contact but he doesn't and makes a hash of it.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
It's not a non-contact sport. As I said the keeper here is incredibly weak.
The law states:
Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent's path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.

A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.
Which to me says it should be a foul and I feel like those instances have been given since the dawn of time. Maybe it's weak but if you're a keeper standing with your arms up readying yourself to catch a ball and you have someone backing into you, you're going to be easily knocked off balance.

It's more that the contact is so minimal, it means basically anyone touching the keeper would mean a freekick. Personally, I think if he's smart he can just go down straight away and VAR would be forced to give a freekick because there is undeniable contact but he doesn't and makes a hash of it.
If Harrison was just standing his ground then fine but he's backing in with a lower centre of gravity, the rules would suggest it's not allowed but if they're not going to get given then as you say, he either needs to fall to the floor and hope the ref gives it, or teams just need to deal with it better.

Dwight McNeil's delivery on those corners was incredible, every single one he was dropping right under the crossbar. Strangely they completely changed tactic in the 2nd half and didn't put anyone on Vicario.

Last edited:

Withnail

The law states:

Which to me says it should be a foul and I feel like those instances have been given since the dawn of time. Maybe it's weak but if you're a keeper standing with your arms up readying yourself to catch a ball and you have someone backing into you, you're going to be easily knocked off balance.
Are they the rules for obstruction you've quoted?

If so, I don't think they apply to this situation. Have you ever seen obstruction given when two players are under a high ball jostling for position like that?

The keeper has to claim the ball. He can't just stand around with his arms in the air and expect everyone to let him catch it.

It's not a non-contact sport and you expect some amount of jostling. The contact here was minimal and the keeper didn't do enough to claim the ball.

tomaldinho1

If Harrison was just standing his ground then fine but he's backing in with a lower centre of gravity, the rules would suggest it's not allowed but if they're not going to get given then as you say, he either needs to fall to the floor and hope the ref gives it, or teams just need to deal with it better.

Dwight McNeil's delivery on those corners was incredible, every single one he was dropping right under the crossbar. Strangely they completely changed tactic in the 2nd half and didn't put anyone on Vicario.

It's funny because I took this from the soccer subreddit and 90% there think it's a foul, yet seemingly no one here does.
Yes but then you start thinking about what the law says and basically every time a player pulls another or uses their arms in any capacity they'd blow up. It's a contact sport and the "rules" are pretty well known from corners, you can stand on and back into the keeper to some degree.

Oranges038

Meanwhile in La Liga. This was given offside.
This seems like that one from the Asian cup. He's offside and interfering with the keepers ability to play the ball. I think it's a fair enough justification.

https://streamin.me/v/95bccc8f

So, my feeling here is on corners where there is a player on the keeper and the ball is delivered, as soon as it's hit the defence should just run out and not contest the corner. The player on the keeper is then offside and if the ball is headed in, it would be disallowed for offside.

Drainy

Are they the rules for obstruction you've quoted?

If so, I don't think they apply to this situation. Have you ever seen obstruction given when two players are under a high ball jostling for position like that?

The keeper has to claim the ball. He can't just stand around with his arms in the air and expect everyone to let him catch it.

It's not a non-contact sport and you expect some amount of jostling. The contact here was minimal and the keeper didn't do enough to claim the ball.
Goalkeepers are at a disadvantage in jostling because they have to extend their arms moving their centre gravity upwards towards their chest and away from their core unless they angle themselves in a disadvantageous way for collecting the ball, impeding their handling. Nudging them is a foul in a way that doing the same to an outfield player might not be.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
So, my feeling here is on corners where there is a player on the keeper and the ball is delivered, as soon as it's hit the defence should just run out and not contest the corner. The player on the keeper is then offside and if the ball is headed in, it would be disallowed for offside.
Playing the offside trap might work once. If you try it again that player will just move out of the way and it's a free header. Also not contesting the corner means the attacker has all the time in the world to control the ball and put it past the keeper.

Withnail

Goalkeepers are at a disadvantage in jostling because they have to extend their arms moving their centre gravity upwards towards their chest and away from their core unless they angle themselves in a disadvantageous way for collecting the ball, impeding their handling. Nudging them is a foul in a way that doing the same to an outfield player might not be.
While I take the point, the contact in the video is on the minor end of the scale. You'd be looking to your keeper rather than the ref there.

Oranges038

Playing the offside trap might work once. If you try it again that player will just move out of the way and it's a free header. Also not contesting the corner means the attacker has all the time in the world to control the ball and put it past the keeper.
Yeah, but in those situations where the ball has to be headed first time, because it's 7/8ft in the air, they ain't controlling that. Fair enough they might nod it down to someone else running in.

But I think you're going to see teams moving defenders away from the keeper and the goal line to potentially catch a player on the keeper offside.

Wing Attack Plan R

The sooner VAR is scrapped the better, at worst the threshold for intervention should be raised massively so it's only used for things like Thatcher’s foul on Pedro Mendes. So about once a season if that.

It ruins the flow of the game, it's inconsistently applied, ruins goals celebrations. For offside, it's not even accurate because of the limited FPS in capturing exactly when the ball is kicked, better off just going with daylight margin of error and accepting there will be the odd mistake. Football was not designed for digital refereeing and it doesn't work, ruining the spectacle whilst still having numerous unfair decisions, things that are reviewed in one game and not another, not even to mention the outright mistakes.

I enjoyed our game in the League cup v Newcastle much more knowing no VAR. They should pull the plug from next season.
Great post.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
No. You can’t touch keepers in the air but there’s nothing wrong with this. Happens in literally every free kick situation
But he does touch him in the air.

Standing near the keeper and making it awkward for him is one thing but backing a keeper into his own net with the ball mid-flight isn't a tactic we should be legitimising in my opinion. The keeper is trying to play the ball, Harrison in this instance is there purely to push him into his goal.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

El Zoido

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Fitchett

So we got doubly shafted! Firstly, with a large number of VAR calls either against us or ignored. Then to compound this is the fake news that we have benefited, so the referees, urged on by the media, will be inclined to make more calls against us. This isn't sport any more.

ShinjiNinja26

Apparently we are among the teams that have benefitted the most.

https://www.givemesport.com/breakdown-of-the-var-errors-in-the-premier-league-in-202324/

Teams that have benefitted the most
Clubs: Aston Villa, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Nottingham Forest
Which is why the whole thing is farcical. There’s been obvious errors made in a number of our games this season yet they’re trying to claim there hasn’t been. Thats only for our club, I’d imagine it’s pretty similar across the board for other clubs as well. This is nothing but a puff piece and the PGMOL trying to put a positive spin on the absolute shambles they make of officiating on a weekly basis.

90 + 5min

LiVARpool stirkes again. How is that goal allowed?

Absolutley shocking decision. Once again for Liverpool.

90 + 5min

What happened?
Allowing 2-1 goal to stand when there was potential offside. Not only that there was a free kick that someone from airplane could spot when Macallister kicked a Burnley player. Not on purpose but there was force behind it. You can be sure Casemiro or Dalot would be getting cards for that. Nothing being done here. No freekick. Nothing.

Bobski

Allowing 2-1 goal to stand when there was potential offside. Not only that there was a free kick that someone from airplane could spot when Macallister kicked a Burnley player. Not on purpose but there was force behind it. You can be sure Casemiro or Dalot would be getting cards for that. Nothing being done here. No freekick. Nothing.
It is weird to me that people act as if Casemiro is targeted by refs given how often he goes flying in and gets nowhere near the ball. The guy has always got a lot of yellow cards, a quick google shows me 82 yellow cards in 298 games for Madrid, 1 in 3.6 games, for Utd 16 in 60 games, 1 in 3.75. Seems to be driven very much by the 2 reds last year, think the one against Southampton was 100% a red and should always be regardless of similar calls being botched, could easily have broken the guys leg. The Palace one was soft, but also very dumb.

90 + 5min

It is weird to me that people act as if Casemiro is targeted by refs given how often he goes flying in and gets nowhere near the ball. The guy has always got a lot of yellow cards, a quick google shows me 82 yellow cards in 298 games for Madrid, 1 in 3.6 games, for Utd 16 in 60 games, 1 in 3.75. Seems to be driven very much by the 2 reds last year, think the one against Southampton was 100% a red and should always be regardless of similar calls being botched, could easily have broken the guys leg. The Palace one was soft, but also very dumb.
I’m not saying he is targeted but when similiar things go unpunished and not even free kick you got to wonder what is happening. Anyone who watched the game today can’t be serious if they say that Liverpool second goal should stand.