VAR and Refs | General Discussion

arnie_ni

I'm not defending the ref for the actual decision, it was the wrong call. What I'm saying is that as long as he thought it was a foul then it was the right call to blow his whistle.

Tackles are usually not black and white to be decided by VAR like potential offsides would be.
Ah fair enough

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
They've shown more replays of Casemiro's offside than they did of the ball going out within 5 seconds.

Where the feck have they drawn the blue line? It's clear as day offside and they've made it an absolute mess.

Dan_F

Nice waste of three minutes. I know they have to draw the lines etc but fecking hell.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
They've shown more replays of Casemiro's offside than they did of the ball going out within 5 seconds.

Where the feck have they drawn the blue line? It's clear as day offside and they've made it an absolute mess.
I didn't understand the blue line either. There didn't look like any West Ham player near it

90 + 5min

We know how we are treated and have been for a while. Nothing strange. I’m still waiting for the club to officially come out with a we’ve had enough - statement.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So Bruno delicately touching a players arm is enough for a penalty.

A defender pushing two hands across Garnacho is “never enough contact”.

Can we just have a bit of consistency?

cyberman

Now nailed on second yellow that Fabinho didn’t receive.
It’s always Fabinho

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
So Bruno delicately touching a players arm is enough for a penalty.

A defender pushing two hands across Garnacho is “never enough contact”.

Can we just have a bit of consistency?
This! Does my head in it's all just made up.

TheReligion

Abusive
At this point it’s a joke

The ball clearly out of play for the West Ham goal.

ITV have footage that shows it perfectly yet we are supposed to believe VAR doesn’t?

Utter bollocks

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pretty clear that ball was out but we'll hear nothing about it as we won.

TheReligion

Abusive
Pretty clear that ball was out but we'll hear nothing about it as we won.
Yeah that angle behind the goal showed the green grass between the ball and the line.

Its at the point now where I just don’t trust it at all. I don’t like to cry cheat but what else can it be?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Ball was probably in play, offside was clear, so no real qualms there.

But... Can someone clarify what constitutes a yellow card? Cos fecked if this ref has a clue

mctrials23

Ball was probably in play, offside was clear, so no real qualms there.

But... Can someone clarify what constitutes a yellow card? Cos fecked if this ref has a clue
I think the main thing is whether it was a United player who committed the foul. First half Maguire went to ask the ref that very question. 2 yellows for breaking up attacks with cynical/clumsy tackles and then they do exactly the same thing to stop Garnacho and nothing.

As you say, their goal was fine and the offside was fine, just baffling card decisions.

Cassanata99

The ball for the West Ham goal was most likely still in play. Do you guys not remember the world cup match between Japan and Spain? Similar thing happened. The entirety of the ball has to be over the line when viewed from a bird's-eye perspective. VAR probably had this angle to work with when making their decision.

Sylar

The above isn't the best angle either. You need the view from above as it's a ball, it's a spherical shape (like you see with goal line technology)

I am not too annoyed that this wasn't given and they went with refs on field call. It's frustrating but it's not 109% conclusive. The players stopping and not playing to the whistle was annoying .

The way the ref gave yellow cards was annoying especially the few he missed giving them on same situations that lead to us getting a few.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The above isn't the best angle either. You need the view from above as it's a ball, it's a spherical shape (like you see with goal line technology)

I am not too annoyed that this wasn't given and they went with refs on field call. It's frustrating but it's not 109% conclusive. The players stopping and not playing to the whistle was annoying .

The way the ref gave yellow cards was annoying especially the few he missed giving them on same situations that lead to us getting a few.
That angle is pretty conclusive IMO

RedDevil@84

Weirdly the var angle makes it look in. I wasn’t outraged at the time given that picture that we saw.
Turns out I was wrong!
No. The ball is spherical. You need to look from above to be sure. If that angle is not there, for whatever reason, it cannot be ruled out.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don’t understand why they don’t have cameras that cover each touchline. We’ve had two questionable decisions like this coincidentally both against West Ham.

It can’t be hard to have a camera parallel to each touchline.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
No. The ball is spherical. You need to look from above to be sure. If that angle is not there, for whatever reason, it cannot be ruled out.
How would looking at it from above be any different? There is a line of green visible between the edge of the ball and the white line all the way up the touch line. How would that be the case if any part of the ball met the line ? From any angle the line of green would stop existing at the point of contact between ball and line

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How would looking at it from above be any different? There is a line of green visible between the edge of the ball and the white line all the way up the touch line. How would that be the case if any part of the ball met the line ? From any angle the line of green would stop existing at the point of contact between ball and line
Yeah but the ball is spherical