Varchester City 18/19 discussion

charlie9882

They seemed so lucky with injuries last season, this season not so much.
Mendy (season ending), Jesus and Stones all had long term injuries last season. Sane, Delph, Kompany and Aguero all spent time on the sidelines as well due to injury. Not to mention David Silva almost missed large chunks of the season (albeit not down to injury).

It could have been worse, but City still had a fair share of injuries, they just had the depth to cope with it. Mendy was a major blow last season - saw against Huddersfield what he brings to their side.

Treble

:lol:

Oh my god you're a fecking parody. Is this serious or trolling?

Imposing Western values by thinking that it's probably not right that anybody inside the regime who speaks out goes 'missing'. Christ, can't imagine why they're saying they are happy when they get murdered for stepping out of line, proper head scratcher that. I can't quite work out if you're trolling .. surely nobody can honestly be using a 'happiness' article by forbes to justify repressing free speech through torture, murder, censorship, and feck knows what else.

Honestly, get a grip. The West isn't innocent but it's sure as hell better than the UAE and yeah we can apply values when they're as basic as don't kill people for having an opinion, think that's kind of OK.
It's not that simple. Generally, a liberal democracy is far better than a dictatorship. But what if the likely alternative to a dictatorship in that part of the world is not a liberal democracy but a civil war? Is what has happened in Syria better than the Assad regime (which is really bad)? Is a proper liberal democracy in that region possible? Those questions don't have easy answers. And I'm a big supporter of liberal democracy. Btw, I supported the war in Iraq which I now think was a huge mistake. I don't like their owners, to put it mildly, but politics might be quite complicated. The fact that most countries over there do not have liberal regimes do not make the people who govern them monsters.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's not that simple. Generally, a liberal democracy is far better than a dictatorship. But what if the likely alternative to a dictatorship in that part of the world is not a liberal democracy but a civil war? Is what has happened in Syria better than the Assad regime (which is really bad)? Is a proper liberal democracy in that region possible? Those questions don't have easy answers. And I'm a big supporter of liberal democracy. Btw, I supported the war in Iraq which I now think was a huge mistake. I don't like their owners, to put it mildly, but politics might be quite complicated. The fact that most countries over there do not have liberal regimes do not make the people who govern them monsters.
You can both say that we have no right to intervene, and shouldn't do so because forcing democracy on people doesn't work, but also maintain a position that they're scum. Because they are. I'm not advocating moving in the troops and establishing Western rule, I'm calling a spade a spade.

It's really not complicated. They repress anybody who speaks out against them, through torture and imprisonment. They give their citizens no rights to decide how they are governed, don't give them freedom of expression or religion, and generally act as feudal medieval Lords who treat their subjects not as individuals, but like cattle to be controlled. It's abhorrent and isn't 'complicated' at all, and yes the people who govern them are absolutely monsters, how on earth are you going to rule a repressive, dictatorial regime and come out looking shiny.

Anyway, this is a Man City thread, not a discussion about UAE politics. I was just (originally) responding to the idea that their owners are somehow OK because Western countries have done bad stuff too, or something.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
This is the real reason why everyone hates them and are jealous of them. Because they have spent big money and spent it well and are very successful for it. I dislike them but I’m not going to be a hypocrite and say I wouldn’t be happy if the club I supported had been bought over by their owners instead of City.
I don't hate City and I'm not that jealous, I have very litttle care for them as a club, the team plays fantastic football and I think they're by far the best side in the league. I'm just not going to pretend they aren't owned by awful people, because they are. I don't expect City fans to care much, but I'd prefer we didn't try and bend the truth and act as if they aren't bad people, because they are, by pretty much every moral guideline. It's just really, really stupid when people like you come in and start justifying their human rights abuses because they pay some people well (???).

Great team, horrible owners. Don't necessarily hate the club for it, football fans in liking and supporting the owners who have given them success after success? Shock horror.

MBSADSED

Supports
Manchester City
"Bitter shite" I think you should have done more than skimmed it as it would have informed you that there is literally nothing I have to be bitter about. It has nothing to do with Rivalries, I feel exactly the same way about PSG and if they won the Champions League this season it would seem entirely irrelevant.

I am bitter that Liverpool got all the way to the Champions League final whilst we went out to Sevilla. Being bitter that Multi Billionaires are able to pervert sport? Nah, nothing to do with the actual game.

It is relevant due to being the source of the overall issue people have with City.

Surely the focus should be on what both clubs are doing with the vast amounts of money they have rather than how it was obtained.

At the end of the day its still 11v11, all players have 2 legs and one brain, there's only one ball on the pitch. Its a bit of nonsense argument to refer to it as cheating really. Both clubs have the same opportunities in terms of available players on the market, hours on the training pitch etc. It not like City play with 15 players is it.

Would I be annoyed if a guy a hated pinched the girl I like, yes I would. If he did it by buying her expensive gifts would this make it easier? Most probably not. It would just provide an invalid justification to ones inner self.

Denis_unwise

This is the real reason why everyone hates them and are jealous of them. Because they have spent big money and spent it well and are very successful for it. I dislike them but I’m not going to be a hypocrite and say I wouldn’t be happy if the club I supported had been bought over by their owners instead of City.
I don't think any Utd fans are jealous of City. It's more of a disappointed & disaffected feeling. It's more akin to the feeling that the other TDF riders had when Armstrong was winning titles. They likely all knew what he was doing. The only chance they had to win was to sink to his level.

There will be very few, if any, Leicester stories in the future. City are now the benchmark in the PL. The only way to keep up is to match their spending. When we next win the league we will have bought it just like City have. This to me will be empty & soulless when comparing it to our title wins under SAF.

I find it devastating that we have had to abandon our principles because some bored Sheik, with too much money & time on his hands want's to have a bit of fun.

MBSADSED

Supports
Manchester City
I don't think any Utd fans are jealous of City. It's more of a disappointed & disaffected feeling. It's more akin to the feeling that the other TDF riders had when Armstrong was winning titles. They likely all knew what he was doing. The only chance they had to win was to sink to his level.

There will be very few, if any, Leicester stories in the future. City are now the benchmark in the PL. The only way to keep up is to match their spending. When we next win the league we will have bought it just like City have. This to me will be empty & soulless when comparing it to our title wins under SAF.

I find it devastating that we have had to abandon our principles because some bored Sheik, with too much money & time on his hands want's to have a bit of fun.

Why do you have to abandon your principles? Spend the money wiser, coach the players better and understand the strengths and weaknesses or your opposition. The basics of being successful never change they just have to be adapted now and then. Those who do it better will 9/10 come out on top.

MBSADSED

Supports
Manchester City
Good. Good. Let's see if Pep's so great without key players injured and a lack of reliable youngsters ready to step in.
Do you mean like last year at times without Mendy, Stones, Jesus, Aguero, Silva, Kompany? didn't turn out to be a bad season either.

OverratedOpinion

Surely the focus should be on what both clubs are doing with the vast amounts of money they have rather than how it was obtained.

At the end of the day its still 11v11, all players have 2 legs and one brain, there's only one ball on the pitch. Its a bit of nonsense argument to refer to it as cheating really. Both clubs have the same opportunities in terms of available players on the market, hours on the training pitch etc. It not like City play with 15 players is it.

Would I be annoyed if a guy a hated pinched the girl I like, yes I would. If he did it by buying her expensive gifts would this make it easier? Most probably not. It would just provide an invalid justification to ones inner self.
City have 100% spent better than United. Doesn't really have anything to do with the point I was making.

I was talking about the respect a club should be given for their achievements. I don't believe I used the word cheating however I do personally believe that City used what amount to fake sponsorships to "comply" with financial fair play, so I wouldn't be against the use of that word.

Again, I am not saying this from a Utd perspective. If City had never got the cash injection I still don't imagine we would have won a title in the last 5 years (possibly last one). I am talking about how much I respect their accomplishments.

AngliaRed

I still cant get over there bench on sunday;

Bravo - would make a decent enough back up to most PL teams if not their no.1

Walker - would walk into any starting 11 in Europe.

Sterling - inconsistent but every team in Europe would love to have him. He scores!

Sane - explosive & direct! Potentially a world beater, bags of talent

Mahrez - would of been perfect for us!

Otamendi - experienced sqaud player, useful!

Foden - Youngster with potential

I mean come on, how do we compete? How does any PL compete?

Bearded One

I'd rather have Romero in my team than this guy

Walker - would walk into any starting 11 in Europe.
He's the best RB in the league bug he has his limitations too especially on the ball

Sterling - inconsistent but every team in Europe would love to have him. He scores!
Everyone was laughing at city for paying 50m quid for this guy and even though he still does those brain farts from time to time, his massive improvement under his manager is undoubted

Sane - explosive & direct! Potentially a world beater, bags of talent
Maybe we should turn his head and when he finally decides to leave city we would give them Martial in exchange

Even Zaha would have been ideal for us but I guess the higher ups thought a CB was a more pressing need

Otamendi - experienced sqaud player, useful!
Many thought he was a clown

Foden - Youngster with potential

I mean come on, how do we compete? How does any PL compete?
Yes if we did some things right maybe we could compete

Johnny Love

I don't think you necessarily have to match their spending, because United have pretty much done that so far and the teams are not even close. The money just needs to be spent better and wiser. City are just a team that absolutely yes have spent a lot, however they have spent accordingly. They have a manager with a vision and they buy players who will fit that vision. Pretty much the opposite of what United have done.

Last edited:

AngliaRed

This is astonishing!

City squad that finished the 2014/2015 season.

Joe Hart, Richard Wright

Defence: Clichy, Demichelis, Kolarov, Kompany, Nastasic, Richards, Zabaleta, Boytata

Midfield: Fernandinho, Fernando, Silva, Toure, Javi Garcia, Milner, Nasri, Navas, Rodwell, Sinclair

Attack: Aguero, Dzeko, Negredo, Jovetic, Guidetti

So in less than 3 years City and completely overhauled there starting 11 and squad itself with the exception of 4/5 players if I’m correct!

That tells me a few things, City are massive spenders and the club itself aren’t focused on heritage, history and building a team to last years. More of a mercenary approach! You’re signed, you play until someone better is available in your position, you’re sold.

Incredible really!

Fluctuation0161

Pep has just broken the PL record and Mou did feck all. Pep will win the prem for two seasons in a row and go pretty deep in the CL too. We are winning sweet feck all again, bar maybe a league cup or FA. We will compete for top 4, City will have double digits points difference against us by New Year.
Pep also broke the premiership spending record last season. Coincidence?

Denis_unwise

Terrible keeper. Don't think any other PL team would take him on a free. Distribution is good but can't make saves. Has no command of his area & is an accident waiting to happen.

Walker
- would walk into any starting 11 in Europe.
A good FB but many better in Europe.

Sterling
- inconsistent but every team in Europe would love to have him. He scores!
Has to be surrounded by very good players to perform. His best 2 seasons have been when playing with S&S at Liverpool & last season at City. Showed at the WC he's quite poor when expected to be the star.

Sane
- explosive & direct! Potentially a world beater, bags of talent

We went with Sanchez who is the better player. He may be on the decline but i don't think anyone could have foreseen this. Maybe just bad luck on our part.

Otamendi
- experienced sqaud player, useful!
Is coming off his best season at City. Can he keep up this level of consistency, juries out.

Foden
- Youngster with potential
Has looked good in the fleeting glimpses we have seen. Hard to see how he is going to get a meaningful run in the team. Won't know his true talent until then.

MBSADSED

Supports
Manchester City
This is astonishing!

Joe Hart, Richard Wright

Defence: Clichy, Demichelis, Kolarov, Kompany, Nastasic, Richards, Zabaleta, Boytata

Midfield: Fernandinho, Fernando, Silva, Toure, Javi Garcia, Milner, Nasri, Navas, Rodwell, Sinclair

So in less than 3 years City and completely overhauled there starting 11 and squad itself with the exception of 4/5 players if I’m correct!

That tells me a few things, City are massive spenders and the club itself aren’t focused on heritage, history and building a team to last years. More of a mercenary approach! You’re signed, you play until someone better is available in your position, you’re sold.

Incredible really!

Pep has bought;

Laporte - 23
Mendy - 23
Silva - 22
Ederson -23
Stones - 22
Sane - 20
Jesus - 19

Not a bad bunch of players for the future there.... All would walk in to uniteds team barring Ederson

What it should tell is that City's squad in 2105 needed an overhaul so they got the best manager on the planet to come and do that for them and hes doing a decent job to be fair.

United have been overhauling the squad since Ferguson left, they have just done it very poorly. Unfortunately thats no fault of City. United have spent 700m in that time, "massive spending" if you ask me. Where is the heritage there? for that 700m have you got a team to last for years of has it been a case of you're in you're out? where is the history of blooding youth there? what happenend to Mkhitaryan, Zaha, Depay, DI maria and the likes? all brought in and then shipped out.

You speak of a mercenary approach? you have a player who turned down a premier leagues winners and a league cup winners medal for an extra few hundred thousand in his bank account every week so its probably best to leave that conversation right there.

Next time something "tells you a few things" its probably best to have a rethink ;-)

Thunderhead

Supports
City
This is astonishing!

Joe Hart, Richard Wright

Incredible really!
of that squad if that was still the first team squad only 6 would be under 30, and of those, Rodwell, Sinclair wouldn't get near a PL squad, that squad would finish about 8th if still playing, what are the club supposed to do, keep players for sentimental reasons even though they're past it.

Denis_unwise

I don't think you necessarily have to match their spending, because United have pretty much done that so far and the teams are not even close. The money just needs to be spent better and wiser. City are just a team that absolutely yes have spent a lot, however they have spent accordingly. They have a manager with a vision and they buy players who will fit that vision. Pretty much the opposite of what United have done.
They have spent nearly £200M more than us since SAF left. You also have to factor in that Pep is working with Aguero & Silva who are still integral parts of the team. These & many others were bought before the market exploded. We would have to spend between £300 to £400M to be near competing on a level playing field. When a team is operating at such an advantage then you can expect the kind of results we've seen. They spent big & finished 1st we spent less & finished 2nd.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
of that squad if that was still the first team squad only 6 would be under 30, and of those, Rodwell, Sinclair wouldn't get near a PL squad, that squad would finish about 8th if still playing, what are the club supposed to do, keep players for sentimental reasons even though they're past it.
I don't have a problem with City being run by a sheik, they had no say in the matter and all the fans want their respective clubs to spend money and win trophies. As for replacing older players that are clearly past it with younger/better ones, that's normal and every club does it, too. But the truth is, most clubs cannot simply get rid of every older/struggling player and spend a fortune on a new young star to take their place because they have to balance the books. City's net spend in the last five years or so is absolutely ridiculous, the club operates as if they don't have to sell in order to buy, which is total nonsense. Even the most commercially successful clubs in the world, the likes of Real, Barca or United have to think of the transfer market in business terms, of course they can spend big when they need to but they are a business at the end of the day. How can a City keep buying 50-60m players and have the most expensive squad in the world when even the biggest and most famous clubs out there cannot afford to live that way?

Chelsea were doing something similar when Abramovich first arrived. But there was no FFP around and they were posting huge losses every year, albeit they were reducing them with each season. Now City fans have the nerve to brag how well their club is run when they clearly have been spending money they cannot possibly begin to earn while announcing profit every year (what a laugh).

MBSADSED

Supports
Manchester City
They have spent nearly £200M more than us since SAF left. You also have to factor in that Pep is working with Aguero & Silva who are still integral parts of the team. These & many others were bought before the market exploded. We would have to spend between £300 to £400M to be near competing on a level playing field. When a team is operating at such an advantage then you can expect the kind of results we've seen. They spent big & finished 1st we spent less & finished 2nd.
Its about how you spend the money, the scouting system, the coaching of the player. For what City paid for Sane United paid similar for Miki. For what City paid for Kevin De Bryune United bought Di Maria, United spent more getting Mata than City did getting Silva. I could go on. United have 3 of the 5 biggest earners in the premier league, City have 1. Money plays a bit part no doubt but the other top clubs in England have hardly penny pinched have they. To insinuate the club who spends the most will win is an unbelievably uneducated view on football.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I don't have a problem with City being run by a sheik, they had no say in the matter and all the fans want their respective clubs to spend money and win trophies. As for replacing older players that are clearly past it with younger/better ones, that's normal and every club does it, too. But the truth is, most clubs cannot simply get rid of every older/struggling player and spend a fortune on a new young star to take their place because they have to balance the books. City's net spend in the last five years or so is absolutely ridiculous, the club operates as if they don't have to sell in order to buy, which is total nonsense. Even the most commercially successful clubs in the world, the likes of Real, Barca or United have to think of the transfer market in business terms, of course they can spend big when they need to but they are a business at the end of the day. How can a City keep buying 50-60m players and have the most expensive squad in the world when even the biggest and most famous clubs out there cannot afford to live that way?

Chelsea were doing something similar when Abramovich first arrived. But there was no FFP around and they were posting huge losses every year, albeit they were reducing them with each season. Now City fans have the nerve to brag how well their club is run when they clearly have been spending money they cannot possibly begin to earn while announcing profit every year (what a laugh).

I'm not bragging on how well or badly the club is ran, we've spent a fortune last 3 seasons I agree but then most of those players purchased for the first team are now integral to the squad, only think Bravo and Nolito have proved to be bad purchases, we're also following the Chelsea model of buying up and coming players cheap, loaning them out and then flogging them on. Last 3 season we've purchased 23 players for an average of £23.5m, made profits on the likes of Mooy, Iheanacho, Unal, and will possibly be selling Zinchenko for a decent profit this summer, also starting to sell Academy players for decent amounts, really think spending will be reigned in over the next few years but may have to buy a superstar to replace Aguero.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Its about how you spend the money, the scouting system, the coaching of the player. For what City paid for Sane United paid similar for Miki. For what City paid for Kevin De Bryune United bought Di Maria, United spent more getting Mata than City did getting Silva. I could go on. United have 3 of the 5 biggest earners in the premier league, City have 1. Money plays a bit part no doubt but the other top clubs in England have hardly penny pinched have they. To insinuate the club who spends the most will win is an unbelievably uneducated view on football.
Just because United haven't got great value for their money in the transfer market doesn't change the fact that City spent significantly more money than everybody else without having to sacrifice any quality they'd already had.

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City
Yeah we won the lottery. There is no denying that and I'm perfectly content with that and enjoying tremendously the football on display. This spending goes outside of direct football player spending as well. City spent 200 million on the best training facilities in the world. Most other clubs couldn't do so and keep the same level of investment on transfers. Also I'm sure the facilities help especially with youth player recruitment.
Besides how much City have spent though it must be said for the most part City's transfers have been really good lately. Outside of the couple flops Bravo, and Nolito. I would say all players have maintained or improved their transfer worth in the market not factoring in the crazy inflation. Sane, Sterling, and Jesus alone would probably go for triple now what we bought them for.

MBSADSED

Supports
Manchester City
Just because United haven't got great value for their money in the transfer market doesn't change the fact that City spent significantly more money than everybody else without having to sacrifice any quality they'd already had.
Sounds like sour grapes to me. City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool have all spent big. One clubs failings cant be blamed on another clubs business. Spend the money better, coach the players better build a team!! football is quite simple. If Peter spent £30 on a pen and Paul spent £25 on a pen that's no excuse for Peter doing better in school than Paul.

Christie

Do you seriously believe we have matched City's spending over the past decade? We have clearly let our lead narrow and then fall far behind them. Arsenal took the same value for money approach and look at where they are now.

So how do you explain this?
City spending the most = 1st
We spend the 2nd most = 2nd

Are you saying we have spent our money better, scouted better and coached all our players better than all of the Premier league bar City?
In that case we better hold on to Mourinho as long as possible until we find someone better than Pep.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool have all spent big. One clubs failings cant be blamed on another clubs business. Spend the money better, coach the players better build a team!! football is quite simple. If Peter spent £30 on a pen and Paul spent £25 on a pen that's no excuse for Peter doing better in school than Paul.
Funny you say that, because this schooling thing has become a big deal. If Peter spent £30000 on a private education with personal tutors and a great environment to study and Paul spent £2500 on a shitty public school that's is a great excuse for Peter doing better in school than Paul.

MBSADSED

Supports
Manchester City
Do you seriously believe we have matched City's spending over the past decade? We have clearly let our lead narrow and then fall far behind them. Arsenal took the same value for money approach and look at where they are now.

So how do you explain this?
City spending the most = 1st
We spend the 2nd most = 2nd

Are you saying we have spent our money better, scouted better and coached all our players better than all of the Premier league bar City?
In that case we better hold on to Mourinho as long as possible until we find someone better than Pep.

Not at all, Im saying money doesn't guarantee success. Its what you do with the money that counts. United have clearly wasted a hell of a lot of money over the last few years, Where as City seemed to have spent more wisely hence the quality and performance of the squads.

How much did Leicester spend to win the League?

Funny you say that, because this schooling thing has become a big deal. If Peter spent £30000 on a private education with personal tutors and a great environment to study and Paul spent £2500 on a shitty public school that's is a great excuse for Peter doing better in school than Paul.
No excuse at all, everybody has the ability to lean and better them selves, its the people who hide behind excuses such as a better environment and personal tutors that end up achieving nothing in life.

Look at it this way, Riyad Mahrez developed his football at AAS Sarcelles, Hardly the most recognised and highly regarded club as im sure you will agree (think Paul). Federico Marcheda joined one of the most highly decorated academy's in the world at 16 and played with some of the best players in the world (think Peter).

Who would you say has had a better career? One made the most of what they had and one didn't. Forget the environment and pathetic excuses etc.

Christie

No excuse at all, everybody has the ability to lean and better them selves, its the people who hide behind excuses such as a better environment and personal tutors that end up achieving nothing in life.

Look at it this way, Riyad Mahrez developed his football at AAS Sarcelles, Hardly the most recognised and highly regarded club as im sure you will agree (think Paul). Federico Marcheda joined one of the most highly decorated academy's in the world at 16 and played with some of the best players in the world (think Peter).

Who would you say has had a better career? One made the most of what they had and one didn't. Forget the environment and pathetic excuses etc.
This is where your words become worthless and irrelevant now. There are countless studies showing the correlation between family background and wealth leading to better performance in school and a better career later in life. To totally disregard that shows you are very far detached from reality.

Do you seriously believe a kid living in the slums of India will have the same chances for success as a whitebread kid living in New York City as long as he has his ability to learn and better himself?

Oh let's not forget Mahrez has the opportunity to play and develop in a rich European nation that is highly focused in football. This is already a private school equivalent compared to other footballers coming from poorer nations.

https://i.upworthy.com/nugget/569dd....0&auto=format&cs=tinysrbg&q=75&colorquant=40

Denis_unwise

I'm afraid you are stuck in the bygone days football. City's success is built from the 2008 takeover. They have massively outspent us in this time which is leading to our current malaise. They have wasted a hell of alot of money in this period on the likes of Mangala, Nasri, Bony , Robinho, the list is endless. If you keep throwing enough money around eventually you will spend some of it right. The main reason Pep didn't join us is that he knew he would be competing with a manager across the road who had unlimited funds at his disposal. You have to face facts that we will likely never see a class of 92 or a Leicester again. The team that spends the most will most likely win the most.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I'm afraid you are stuck in the bygone days football. City's success is built from the 2008 takeover. They have massively outspent us in this time which is leading to our current malaise. They have wasted a hell of alot of money in this period on the likes of Mangala, Nasri, Bony , Robinho, the list is endless. If you keep throwing enough money around eventually you will spend some of it right. The main reason Pep didn't join us is that he knew he would be competing with a manager across the road who had unlimited funds at his disposal. You have to face facts that we will likely never see a class of 92 or a Leicester again. The team that spends the most will most likely win the most.
Have they really wasted the money on those players though? I mean, comparing United and City since the 2008 takeover is comparing apples and oranges in a way. City were a lower to mid-table club before their takeover and they have been improving steadily since then. So can we say they 'wasted' money when their league finishes were getting higher?

It is as if they spent money to improve them further, over and above the players they bought to get them into the top 8, then top 6, then top 4 and so on.

Whereas United has dominated the league for 15 years by 2008. We needed to spend money to stand still, which we didn't do. This meant that our poor investments cost us more than poor investments cost City surely?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think that's bollox tbh, City have been courting him for years and that's one of the big reason the likes of Txiki Begiristain was brought to the club and I can't ever remember United approaching him

edit: I also think if he'd gone to United he would have had enough money to purchase the likes of Mendy, Walker, Bernardo Silva and Leroy Sane instead of the likes of Miki, Bailley, Lukaku and you'd have gone damned close to winning the league with those additions alongside Pogba

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
You're missing one important detail which I've already mentioned. City is in a priviledged position when it comes to upgrading their squad because not only they can outspend everybody else, they don't have to sacrifice any quality in the process. That's why I used Chelsea during the first few years of Abramovich's takeover as an example. No club that's run as a business can afford to operate in such manner and it's a huge advantage.

In other words, you'd have to sell some good players that can fetch some serious money in order to spend big on some new quality coming in, that's how it works in the real world. Chelsea lost the likes of Oscar, Ramires, KDB, Salah, Lukaku, Mata, Costa, Matic, Courtois over the last few years. Liverpool had Coutinho's money to spend. Name one important player City had to sell in order to finance their huge spending sprees. You can't, can you? But you don't need to worry about it because you can just spend more of the owner's money. Here's a good example. You release the likes of Clichy, Sagna and Zabaleta on a free and replace them with Walker, Mendy and Danilo for an amount close to £130m. I don't know any other club that can work like that.

PepsiCola

Source?

Denis_unwise

SAF stated in his book that Pep was his first choice as his successor. It's likely Pep didn't come to us as it would have been a poisoned chalice following SAF. He would also have known that the squad he would have been left would need major rebuilding. He made the smart move going to Bayern.

I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't have tried to sign Pep after the Moyes & LVG debacles. I believe there were talks but Pep didn't get the assurances from the Glazers that he'd receive the level of investment he thought he would need. This has been borne out by our transfer dealings this summer. With Pep spending relatively modestly by his standards we had a chance to go big & close the spending gap.

MBSADSED

Supports
Manchester City
You're missing one important detail which I've already mentioned. City is in a priviledged position when it comes to upgrading their squad because not only they can outspend everybody else, they don't have to sacrifice any quality in the process. That's why I used Chelsea during the first few years of Abramovich's takeover as an example. No club that's run as a business can afford to operate in such manner and it's a huge advantage.

In other words, you'd have to sell some good players that can fetch some serious money in order to spend big on some new quality coming in, that's how it works in the real world. Chelsea lost the likes of Oscar, Ramires, KDB, Salah, Lukaku, Mata, Costa, Matic, Courtois over the last few years. Liverpool had Coutinho's money to spend. Name one important player City had to sell in order to finance their huge spending sprees. You can't, can you? But you don't need to worry about it because you can just spend more of the owner's money. Here's a good example. You release the likes of Clichy, Sagna and Zabaleta on a free and replace them with Walker, Mendy and Danilo for an amount close to £130m. I don't know any other club that can work like that.
Chelsea have lost those players because the manager didn't fancy them or they wanted to leave, nothing to do with having to raise funds. Fortunately City have been able to keep their best players happy. It probably helps when you're not bringing a new manager in every 2 years and destabilising the club.

you have basically just described how a well run football club should be ran. You buy a player, get the best out of them until they can no longer produce what you require then move them on and replace with better. During this time you keep your best players. Your also forgetting that City paid 14 million to sign those 3 players so not a bad bit of business.

You don't know how any club could work like that? don't talk nonsense

Who did United Sell to bring in Lukaku, Pogba, lideloff, Matic and Bailly for 250 Million + ?

I don't think the Januzai and Sneiderlin transfers would quite cover that......

MBSADSED

Supports
Manchester City

Unfortunately thats absolute dross. Pep took the job at City because of the 2 guys at the top. Txiki gave him his first job in management and they remain very close. It was an incredibly shrewd move by City bringing him in knowing it would eventually lead to Pep coming resulting in the football you see today. Thats what having clever guys in charge and planning ahead gets you.

Please don't act like united have penny pinched since 2008. Both clubs have spent huge amounts of money and you only have to look at the last few years to see who have been wiser with the cheque book.

Have to disagree with your last point. Spurs haven't spent a penny this year yet they will finish above teams who have spent a fortune. Same for Burnley last season.
Its the teams that score the most and concede the least that will win, money will only assist with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Chelsea have lost those players because the manager didn't fancy them or they wanted to leave, nothing to do with having to raise funds. Fortunately City have been able to keep their best players happy. It probably helps when you're not bringing a new manager in every 2 years and destabilising the club.

you have basically just described how a well run football club should be ran. You buy a player, get the best out of them until they can no longer produce what you require then move them on and replace with better. During this time you keep your best players. Your also forgetting that City paid 14 million to sign those 3 players so not a bad bit of business.

Who did United Sell to bring in Lukaku, Pogba, lideloff, Matic and Bailly for 250 Million + ?

Don't compare City to United. I'm no MU fan but in terms of legitimate income they're the best run club in the land. The've managed to turn their past successes on a pitch into a brilliant marketing strategy and now are reaping the rewards. They can spend plenty every summer and not care.

Chelsea do sell players to raise funds. And it's relevant to the discussion, even if we're talking about the players that aren't happy and want to leave. We could have held onto Matic or Courtois for another season for footballing reasons and lose them on a free, but we sold them because when you're run like a business, at times you have to make those kind of decisions. I know it's probably an alien concept for someone like you, but even the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona have to sell players on occasion to finance recruitment of new players, to pay top wages to their stars, etc. City don't, because they've been propped up by fake sponsorships from companies tied to their owner and having a 100m plus net spend every year isn't going to affect their bottom line, they'll still announce "profit" no matter what. As for keeping your players happy, don't bet on it. City are no exception and no amount of money is going to change that. At some point things will start to unravel, so enjoy while it lasts.

City are not a well run club, unless your meaning of a well run club is different from mine. A club is a business, so to run any business successfully, you have to do it well from the business point of view. In that sense your club is working at a huge loss year after year. Are City a great team at the moment? Absolutely, but that's a different story from the club. Take out your Abu Dhabi connected sponsorship money that's been pumped into the club over the last decade and then you'll know what you're really worth. Unless you think that the likes of Tottenham and Arsenal cannot afford to buy five 50m players each because they're not as well run clubs as City are. What a joke.

City won exactly the same number of league titles since their 2008 takeover as Chelsea and United did. Until the last couple of seasons you did nothing in the CL, either. So there's no believable explanation for anyone with a shred of logic and objectivity still left in their brain to explain how can a club like that possibly generate such a tremendous amount of money with decent, but not spectacular return on the pitch.

Last edited:

MBSADSED

Supports
Manchester City
Don't compare City to United. I'm no MU fan but in terms of legitimate income they're the best run club in the land. The've managed to turn their past successes on a pitch into a brilliant marketing strategy and now reap the rewards. They can spend plenty every summer and not care.

Maybe they should care, it may have eased some of the unrest that sits with the club at the minute .

Chelsea do sell players to raise funds. And it's relevant to the discussion even if we're talking about the players that aren't happy and want to leave. We could have held onto Matic or Courtois for another season for footballing reasons and lose them on a free but we sold them because when you're run like a business at times you have to make those kind of decisions. I know it's probably an alien concept for someone like you, but even the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona have to sell players on occasion to finance recruitment of new players, to pay top wages to their stars, etc. City don't, because they've been propped up by fake sponsorships from companies tied to their owner and having a 100m plus net spend every year isn't going to affect their bottom line, they'll still announce "profit", no matter what. As for keeping your players happy, don't bet on it. City are no exception, and no amount of money is going to change that. At some point things will start to unravel, so enjoy while it lasts.

You have to make those decisions when a players wants to leave, of course you do. why keep a player who doesn't want to be there.

You dont seem to grasp a basic business model so ill leave that one where it is.

City are not a well run club, unless your meaning of a well run club is different from mine. A club is a business, so to run any business successfully, you have to do it well from the business point of view. In that sense your club is working at a huge loss year after year. Are City a great team at the moment? Absolutely, but that's a different story from the club. Take out your Abu Dhabi connected sponsorship money that's been pumped into the club over the last decade and then you'll know what you're really worth. Unless you think that the likes of Tottenham and Arsenal cannot afford to buy five 50m players each because they're not run as well as City are. What a joke.

City are a FOOTBALL club. They have some of the worlds best players, playing some of the worlds best football, with world class training facilities, need i go on?? No owner will ever make money from running a football club, anybody with half a brain cell will tell you that. Do they care? no. Are they in it to make money? no. They are in it to produce a prestigious football club. Are they doing a good job? i think we all know the answer to that!

Do I love that City were an attractive option for our owner? absolutely. Does this come with bitterness, jealousy and stereotypical drivel from fans of other clubs? Unfortunately so. Maybe the fact that Roman has tightened the purse strings has tickled a nerve with you, however i don't think you would have been so vocal a few years back.

If any of City's best players ever do decide they want to leave (Not happened yet) fingers crossed there's a problem with the fax machine......

City won exactly the same number of league titles since their 2008 takeover as Chelsea and United did. Until the last couple of seasons you did nothing in the CL, either. So there's no logical explanation for anyone with a shred of logic and objectiity still left in their brain to explain how can a club like that possibly generate such a tremendous amount of money with decent, but not spectacular return on the pitch.
Please refer to my business model comment above.

Denis_unwise

We fund transfers via buy legitimately earned income. You are funded via an oil state. There is no way Pep could have spent what he has if Mansour had been unwilling to prop up the club. City & PSG are run differently to all other clubs. City are well run due to the business model they have. This business model won't work at any other club as they are not owned by a state. It's highly unlikely that private investors will put over £3 Bill into a business which is still not profitable after a decade.