Varchester City 18/19 discussion

Fridge chutney

Reading this thread almost makes me want the Scouse to win the league, if it's between to two. Almost.

At least they'll have earned it.

Irwin99

Easiest draw again, what a surprise :rolleyes:

Hope Spurs pull a miracle out of the bag and knock em out of the CL

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It’s not just money, but playing style. Pep’s playing style is more dominant than Fergie’s. They always try to play their football at home or away and try to attack and not put the bus after 2:0. Only blind doesn’t see and stubborn doesn’t admit that Pep’s City is the best team in EPL ever, they confirmed this last season by breaking almost all the records. My opinion is that we will never be the dominant force in Europe playing counter-attacking football. I do not want to see my team parking the bus at Old Trafford against Barca, City, PSG and is waiting for our moment in the counterattack like a small club.
Money makes the style effective. He's the best around today but he's no SAF. He needs the absolute best to succeed and is suited solely to exceptionally (technically) talented players.

And one season (last year) confirmed nothing. You're clearly just s massive fanboi going by your ardent note for baldy.

Raw

City getting all these easy draws and Liverpool getting a lot of lucky breaks in the league. So infuriating.

Unfortunately no one's gonna remember the easy paths, just the trophies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Man City’s Cup draws this season

EFL Cup
Oxford(A)
Fulham (H)
Leicester (H)
Burton (H&A)
FA Cup
Rotherham (H)
Newport(A)
Swansea( A)
Champs League
Lyon
Hoffenheim
Shaktar Donetsk
Schalke
Tottenham

I just can't believe how lucky they are
That's pathetic.

We're facing PSG, Barcelona, City, Arsenal and Wolves and we're not as good as them.

And I thought the stars were aligning for Livepool this season.

Moriarty

City getting all these easy draws and Liverpool getting a lot of lucky breaks in the league. So infuriating.

I still think City will retain the title. They won't win the quad though as my money is on Juve for the big pot.

Canagel

:lol:

Give SAF a blank cheque and he'll do the same. Heck even Klopp spending plenty but less than Pep is matching him this season.
Pep is good coach but very overrated. he had the arguably the best player of of all time and the two best mids of their generation in his first job. he took over jupp heynckes treble winner team and failed to get the CL final 3 years in a row. that's ultimately a failure. most manager could win the bundesliga with the advantages bayern munich has - who could buy their rivals best player nearly every year . hell probably the weakest bayern team in a decade is still leading the table right now. he didn't win anything with the squad pellegrini left behind that just won the league cup previously and reached the semi final of the CL. Then proceeded to spend another 200m ontop of the previous summers spending to win the PL. I think he spend close to half a billion if I'm not mistaken.

matt23

Unless Uefa and the prem end up 'doing a Lance Armstrong' on City somewhere down the line.. Would be reasonably amusing, even if it did hand Pool titles.

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
Easiest draw again, what a surprise :rolleyes:

Hope Spurs pull a miracle out of the bag and knock em out of the CL
I think Porto would've been the easiest draw in the champions league, but there is no denying we have been lucky. It helps also that the other top 6 teams in England didn't take the smaller competitions seriously, at least we played Chelsea in the final. So maybe if Liverpool, for example, took the Carabao cup more seriously we could've seen a City-Liverpool tie. Same applies to the FA Cup.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Man City’s Cup draws this season

EFL Cup
Oxford(A)
Fulham (H)
Leicester (H)
Burton (H&A)
FA Cup
Rotherham (H)
Newport(A)
Swansea( A)
Champs League
Lyon
Hoffenheim
Shaktar Donetsk
Schalke
Tottenham

I just can't believe how lucky they are
EFL Cup:
Burton (H)
Swansea (A)
Bristol (A)

FA Cup:
Derby (H)
Yeovil (A)
Huddersfield (A)
Brighton (H)
Spurs

Champions League:
Basel
CSKA Moscow
Benfica
Sevilla

About as lucky as United last season ;)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
And some people always say that complains about cup draws are just "excuses" and that the best team wins the cup. The draws matter though.

Schneckerl

he took over jupp heynckes treble winner team and failed to get the CL final 3 years in a row. that's ultimately a failure. most manager could win the bundesliga with the advantages bayern munich has - who could buy their rivals best player nearly every year . hell probably the weakest bayern team in a decade is still leading the table right now.
That's what I thought too, but what I've seen from Bayern fans online they absolutely love Pep and defend his work much more than I would have expected with the "early" CL exists.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
It only can be accused of bleating because we are united fans. It’s a perfectly fair point to make. If you don’t care about what other clubs do then where do we draw the line? Paying a ref off? Doping? Cheating is cheating it really is that simple, and in the adult world an independent point should be allowed to be made without it being placed in the context of a totally different point. City simply should not be where they are and wouldn’t be without cheating. Who’s to say who would have won titles in the last 8 years, post Ferguson especially. Maybe Liverpool or Tottenham? Maybe they’d have grown further and won a cl then. Where certain players may have ended up. Perhaps Dortmund or Bayern might have coaxed sane or de bruyne. Maybe juventus could have got aguero. And so on. One team cheats, the entire balance of the game is ruined. As for the mythical uefa elite. It doesn’t exist.
You've said in other posts that you have no problem with outside investment, it's the breaking the rules that's the problem. I think that's a perfectly reasonable viewpoint. It does draw a somewhat artificial distinction between what Chelsea did, for example, and what City subsequently did but I can live with that.

However, to have a serious debate on UEFA FFP, you have to be able to acknowledge the role of the "mythical uefa elite." The role of the top clubs, via the ECA, in the initiation and design of UEFA FFP is well-documented and has been confirmed publicly many times by both Platini (as then Secretary General of UEFA) and Rummenigge (then Chairman of the ECA). It's not a conspiracy theory and has been referenced by several posters in here. Additional detail on the mid-monitoring period rule change on pre-UEFA FFP contracts, and its role in City failing UEFA FFP, has also been discussed in here. In the end, City failed UEFA FFP, in doing so breaking the rules, and were punished for doing so in 2014.

Acknowledging these issues adds context to the debate. I would rather City had not broken UEFA's FFP rules, but at the same time I question the origination and design of those rules. The sugar daddy model is not sustainable or healthy, but nor is the fundamental structure of the game that requires a mid-table team to have a sugar daddy to compete at the elite level in the first place. UEFA FFP ingrains that structure while restricting the sugar daddy model, and I don't think that's a good balance. You've criticised a City poster above for lacking nuance (on a different topic), while doing the same yourself when you try to debate UEFA FFP. You're either deliberately ignoring context, detail, and evidence or you're trolling. Either way, it doesn't do much for your credibility on this topic.

Jacko21

EFL Cup:
Burton (H)
Swansea (A)
Bristol (A)

FA Cup:
Derby (H)
Yeovil (A)
Huddersfield (A)
Brighton (H)
Spurs

Champions League:
Basel
CSKA Moscow
Benfica
Sevilla

In fairness, we couldn’t have made either domestic cup final without first beating City and Tottenham in the respective semis.

As opposed to Burton and Brighton.

But them’s the breaks.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
And some people always say that complains about cup draws are just "excuses" and that the best team wins the cup. The draws matter though.
We've definitely had a great run of cup draws this season, can't deny that at all. Obviously you've still got to win the games, but it's easier to win the games if the draw is kinder!

I think some of the comments in here are a bit strange though. Weird to get bitter about cup draws when it's not something that is within City's control.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We've definitely had a great run of cup draws this season, can't deny that at all. Obviously you've still got to win the games, but it's easier to win the games if the draw is kinder!

I think some of the comments in here are a bit strange though. Weird to get bitter about cup draws when it's not something that is within City's control.
My post was just about how lucky you are. Nothing else. We were lucky last season. We were lucky also when we won it under Lvg.
It is just amazing to me how in one season in all 3 competitions you have that much luck. And of course that i am jeolous.:D. I would rather play with Bristol, Schalke and Burton than Psg, Arsenal or Chelsea. No brainer there

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Manchester City: bringing down the ‘evil cartel’ by attempting to turn English football into a one camel race and preventing genuine sporting projects like Liverpool and Spurs from attaining the success they meritocratically deserve to put Abu Dhabi on the map.

Leicester and Monaco have won league in the past few years, only to have their best players poached by oil clubs, and any hope of sustained success scuppered. But I assume in your small mind, that’s good for the sport because it’s not one of the authentic super clubs you have an inferiority complex about that has done it?

There’s nothing wrong with investment to compete, but an Arab state spending circa £2b is anti-sport, and completely contradicts your alleged stance of being against established unfair advantage.

Do you not care about the human rights record of your beloved Master and his family? And the fact that your club has been used as nothing more than a platform to project that dubious state onto the world?

Do you not care about the modern slavery and complete lack of working class, gay and womens rights there? The ironic thing is, you probably vote Labour.
Your reference to camels and Arabs suggests there’s more than a hint of casual racism about your post. Don’t think I don’t know what you’re up to because it seems rather obvious from here.

Otherwise, some of your points might be worth engaging with. Just one thing on the lack of gay and women’s rights though - as unpalatable as that is, to lay the blame for that at the door of one person who owns Manchester City FC is way off because if you actually engage your brain, you’ll see that Abu Dhabi - like many Muslim countries - aligns it’s national laws along that of Sharia Law and has done for centuries. Thinking that one person - who, funnily enough just happens to be the owner of a rival football club to yours - has the power to change centuries of Sharia Law overnight is quite frankly ridiculous and if he tried to he may as well sign his own death warrant. As it is, the punishments for gay people in Abu Dhabi and other UAE countries, while way too severe, are far more lenient than in other Muslim countries and Abu Dhabi does appear to be slowly moving towards a more modern stance on certain issues. But it also will take decades and decades and it will require key figures within that religion to allow a softening of some of the more draconian aspects of it for homosexuality to ever be legalised in those countries. Anyway, that’s a topic which belongs more in the General Forum so you might be advised to take it there and invite those of the Muslim faith for their views instead of using it to score points against opposition football fans.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
In fairness, we couldn’t have made either domestic cup final without first beating City and Tottenham in the respective semis.

As opposed to Burton and Brighton.

But them’s the breaks.
Prior to this season City had gone through a terrible spell of luck in the cup competitions. This article mentions some of the draws: https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/manchester-city-s-history-of-extraordinary-cup-draws

I remember we had something like eleven consecutive cup draws away from home, most against PL opposition. And let’s not forget our early CL draws, groups with Bayern and Napoli (who were fourth seed!), Dortmund, Real Madrid + Ajax. First two times we progressed out the group we were rewarded with ties against Barcelona. Yeah, we’ve had some ridiculous luck this season, but it’s about time I’d say.

DelBanco

Money makes the style effective. He's the best around today but he's no SAF. He needs the absolute best to succeed and is suited solely to exceptionally (technically) talented players.

And one season (last year) confirmed nothing. You're clearly just s massive fanboi going by your ardent note for baldy.
Fanboy?!:lol:
You can call me a fanboy or admirer but I’ve never seen more dominant teams than Pep’s especially his Barca. I do not know how, but he manages not even best players to look like world-class players. Even in times when only we and Arsenal “fought” for the league and the competition was much lower than the current, we were not so dominant and didn’t win the league with 100 points,although we were the richest and most spending club in England.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
EFL Cup:
Burton (H)
Swansea (A)
Bristol (A)

FA Cup:
Derby (H)
Yeovil (A)
Huddersfield (A)
Brighton (H)
Spurs

Champions League:
Basel
CSKA Moscow
Benfica
Sevilla

And what were City's draws last season if you want to go down that route...

gibers

I'm starting to believe they can win the quintuple this season...

Only thing I can see hurting them are injuries. Delph is awful and almost cost them in the FA cup like he did last season.

Josh 76

Debryne
Fernandinho
Stones
All back after the international break.
Laporte back already.

There goes that injury crisis :lol:

starman

Spurs need to shut down their quadruple hopes...then I can get back to being fully behind them beating Liverpool to the league...

Ban

L89
Fanboy?!:lol:
You can call me a fanboy or admirer but I’ve never seen more dominant teams than Pep’s especially his Barca. I do not know how, but he manages not even best players to look like world-class players. Even in times when only we and Arsenal “fought” for the league and the competition was much lower than the current, we were not so dominant and didn’t win the league with 100 points,although we were the richest and most spending club in England.
Are you having a laugh? If anything competition was way tougher, he fought not only Arsenal and they were tough and great rivals but saw of the rise of Chelsea and City. Who did City 'fight' last year exactly?
Imagine that, he makes not even best players look world class? Unlike Fergie, right?
Not only that, unlike Pep who jumps in clubs who splash whatever cash he wants Fergie constantly rebulit squads to challenge whatever rival did put up a fight.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That's what I thought too, but what I've seen from Bayern fans online they absolutely love Pep and defend his work much more than I would have expected with the "early" CL exists.
Yeah, because it's idiotic to have a standard where anything but winning a CL title is a failure.

SER19

Agree that it’s not where you’re from but how you support your club that counts. I know plenty of locals who purport to support either club but you wouldn’t want them in the trenches with you.

However, I think el magico’s real issue is with that particular poster rather than where he’s from. And let’s have it right here - @SER19 is the worst possible type of football fan out there. Why? Well for starters, you only have to look at his long-standing campaign of trolling City fans on here while at the same time claiming City are a pointless club. Yep, so pointless that he can never stay away from the City threads, even the morning after United have been knocked out of the FA Cup quarter-final when most United fans worth their salt would be more interested in that instead. Some fan that, and one you wouldn’t want to be associated with regardless of whether he was born in Trafford or Timbuktu.

On the plus side for you United fans, the more time he spends on the City threads means he spends less time on the United threads and that’s something you ought to be grateful for because you only have to see some of the stuff he posts in the United section of the forum - particularly that hilarious car crash of a thread he made early on in the season calling on everyone to start protesting against the club (but calling on others to do it rather than himself) - to see what a big girl’s blouse he is.
:lol: shouldnt you be on blue moon telling them all what a tough guy you are? Your obsession with me is a little creepy. Try a few deep breaths. Poster here messages me to show me how much you talk about me elsewhere and I had to search your name. Truly didn't know who you were. Sorry I've affected you so deeply

Just enjoy the success, some of us care more about things than others, it's not a crime to want to get all giddy at any cost. Enjoy it, that's you.

As an aside and at the risk of engaging a stalker, el magico has a posting history suggesting a real preoccupation with nationality.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Your angst is pathetic. Go and support Sligo in your local league, a league which desperately needs local supporters rather than glory hunters who attach themselves to the biggest and richest club in England.
This is not Bluemoon where you think you can get away with calling United forums glory hunter and using the old adage of "go support your local team". Mostly all of your posts is constantly sniping at United and their fans. Good riddance.

SER19

Great post with fair points.
Thanks buddy.

Too often are any comments detracting from city dismissed as bitterness. I've said many times, in a discussion about their football ill give all the credit that's fair. How it came to be should be rightfully queried. And anybody with a sporting conscience or traditional outlook on sport in general will at least be a little discerning before swallowing every claim made about them and every thin excuse to justify their emergence. I'm not just ranting about City as my posts show, I've some clear points. Some city fans can engage and disagree, others seem to get eaten away by any criticism.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
:lol: shouldnt you be on blue moon telling them all what a tough guy you are? Your obsession with me is a little creepy. Try a few deep breaths. Poster here messages me to show me how much you talk about me elsewhere and I had to search your name. Truly didn't know who you were. Sorry I've affected you so deeply

Just enjoy the success, some of us care more about things than others, it's not a crime to want to get all giddy at any cost. Enjoy it, that's you.

As an aside and at the risk of engaging a stalker, el magico has a posting history suggesting a real preoccupation with nationality.
Who was the poster? Namco in his umpteenth incarnation?

Always talking about you? Hardly. Now namco has been banned (again), you’ve assumed the mantle of number one troll and I don’t think anything can ever top your obsession with all things City - this despite you claiming we’re a pointless club:lol:

You say you don’t know who I am yet you couldn’t wait to go skriking to the boss man last year when it came on top for you (as it often does). Not to mention another spat where we were both asked by a mod to cool it. Cue an apology to said mod from me, yet you couldn’t even bring yourself to do that and embarked on some long-winded inane rant about City fans being too sensitive (lack of self-awareness much?), then subsequently said something about seeking mod advice. This when a mod had already intervened and told you and I to pack it in so there was no need to carry it on. Oh, and who could ever forget you saying that you wanted all City fans banned from ever posting on this forum, regardless of whether they’d done anything wrong or not:nono:

Do yourself a favour mate - give your fanny a wipe and have a day off every once in a while. I guarantee you’ll feel better for it

SER19

Who was the poster? Namco in his umpteenth incarnation?

Always talking about you? Hardly. Now namco has been banned (again), you’ve assumed the mantle of number one troll and I don’t think anything can ever top your obsession with all things City - this despite you claiming we’re a pointless club:lol:

You say you don’t know who I am yet you couldn’t wait to go skriking to the boss man last year when it came on top for you (as it often does). Not to mention another spat where we were both asked by a mod to cool it. Cue an apology to said mod from me, yet you couldn’t even bring yourself to do that and embarked on some long-winded inane rant about City fans being too sensitive (lack of self-awareness much?), then subsequently said something about seeking mod advice. This when a mod had already intervened and told you and I to pack it in so there was no need to carry it on. Oh, and who could ever forget you saying that you wanted all City fans banned from ever posting on this forum, regardless of whether they’d done anything wrong or not:nono:

Do yourself a favour mate - give your fanny a wipe and have a day off every once in a while. I guarantee you’ll feel better for it
Of course I know who you are while we are talking. I don't recognise your name or the poster you refer to. I also don't store up grudges and grievances and take them elsewhere or dredge them up months later. It's the Internet sir. Calm down a little. Respect a different opinion and move on, ignore me, or engage in meaningful discussion.

SER19

@SER19 @M18CTID please put each other on ignore. This is becoming tiresome now.
I truly didn't know there was somebody to put on ignore until those anti intellectual posts tagging me appeared.

There's been nothing unsavoury in my posts.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This is not Bluemoon where you think you can get away with calling United forums glory hunter and using the old adage of "go support your local team". Mostly all of your posts is constantly sniping at United and their fans. Good riddance.
I said that to him in saturday. Where have you been these two days?:)

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
@SER19 @M18CTID please put each other on ignore. This is becoming tiresome now.
Yeah, apologies for that mate. The Bluemoon references made me laugh though - I've had way more run-ins with fellow City fans on there than I've ever had with United fans on here, and the language has been a lot more choice too!

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
Debryne
Fernandinho
Stones
All back after the international break.
Laporte back already.

There goes that injury crisis :lol:
13 games in 44 days from March 30 to May 12th. We need everyone on board and I take all the help we can get. No injuries, VAR, no VAR, referees, anything helps :lol:.
Now hopefully we don't get any players injured in this stupid international break. I take the brake though

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
13 games in 44 days from March 30 to May 12th. We need everyone on board and I take all the help we can get. No injuries, VAR, no VAR, referees, anything helps :lol:.
Now hopefully we don't get any players injured in this stupid international break. I take the brake though
Our April fixture schedule is absolutely insane! If we make it to the end of the month still in the FA Cup and CL, and still in the title race we'll be doing very well. I think Guardiola will try to rotate a little, because he'll have to, but think we'll be pretty close to full strength (apart from any injuries) every game because I don't see him sacrificing any competition.