Viable, available caretaker managers?

tomaldinho1

Blanc is a good shout

Or take a punt on some of the modern coaches who have come in as we try to line up a big name for summer. They won't get a budget, it'd be an audition to improve the team - if they can get top 4 the job is theirs - Managers like Hasenhuttl or Howe are definitely better coaches than Ole, if they happen to do well it's great but if not you splash out on a big name in summer.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
That's where the problem lies. We don't have any standards anymore, we simply don't. No standards from the club nor fans. We are just drifting into mediocrity, slowly and steady. We are lowering our expectations every year. Half of our fans would be happy with TOP 10 finish as long as they see the manager who smiles and talks about "United way" in charge. If you expect something better, like ability to play some decent football once in a while or score 2 goals in 1 match (how cool would that be?), you are immediately called an entitled gloryhunter because apparently it takes 10 transfer windows and £500m spent to be able to do that. Of course, any manager deserves at least that, no matter that we get worse and worse each match.
Some exaggerations here but I take your points.

Un4givableB

Wenger OR Blanc till the summer.

Poch/Allegri/Nagelsmann as permanent next season.

Florida Man

Nah not at all. It is the end of a cycle. He needs a new objective. Klopp was as bad or even worse at his last season at Dortmund. Now Klopp is the best manager in the world. We all know Poch has that capacity to be the best and all it takes is a club that doesn’t restrict him economically. Let Poch rebuild United similar to the way he rebuilt Spurs, but instead of top four as his goal, a title winning team and the best team in Europe instead.

Ole has not improved none of our players. The best thing Ole can do is use his Norwegian connection to get Håland at United and let Pochettino develop him into the next Kane.
After Mourinho's last transfer window and Ole's recent summer, how can you be sure of that? Not to mention the shadow influence of Woodward over our transfer strategy.

Handsome Devil

The board have tried it all now. Woody might as well sponsor a chocolate maker, get them to produce a chocolate bar and put a golden ticket in it saying "Congratulations - you are now the manager of Manchester United" because the board are a bunch of Wonkas.

kidbob

Yes please, bring a coach that has never won anything.
So he should have won something with Southampton? The guy has made Spurs a constant top 4 team up against the 2 best managers in the World who both have more resources than him. Remember the moaning about the lack of spending from us? Well Spurs spent no money last summer. As for how Spurs are now, well Klopp ended up with Dortmund in the relegation zone at one stage in a League with one top team. Also Klopp and Pep had won shit before taking over Dortmund and Barca.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We still spend about 70-80m every season and that's more than enough for a right manager to build something. Yes, it would take couple of free transfers, bargains initially but we will eventually there.

Problem is we have nothing. Just see how Arsenals kids are doing against a similar opposition. Its all about right coaching.

kidbob

Yes please, bring a coach that has never won anything.
So he should have won something with Southampton? The guy has made Spurs a constant top 4 team up against the 2 best managers in the World who both have more resources than him. Remember the moaning about the lack of spending from us? Well Spurs spent no money last summer. As for how Spurs are now, well Klopp ended up with Dortmund in the relegation zone at one stage in a League with one top team. Also Klopp and Pep had won shit before taking over Dortmund and Barca.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
After Mourinho's last transfer window and Ole's recent summer, how can you be sure of that? Not to mention the shadow influence of Woodward over our transfer strategy.
Mourinho got a war chest in his previous window. In his last transfer window, Woodward made an error that since the team finished 2nd that we would not need to spend as much. Woodward clearly sees the club needs investment now and I doubt our new manager will be restricted.

Ole got back. He spent around £150m on just defenders. That is a crazy amount. It was Ole decision to prioritize fixing the defense over the midfield or attack. It already got leaked that we are targeting some high profile signing in the next few transfers window. So, I have no doubt that the club will continue to support our manager financially. The only problem is that what is the point of identifying players when Ole might not be in charge past this season :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Southgate? Please stop. Another man hyped by British media. A clown. With the team available to him manage to botch the easy route ever to a World Cup final. Absolutely would want him nowhere near the club.
I don't think he's the answer but this is incredibly harsh. Southgate made England worth watching again.

Caliban

I believe Klopp joined Liverpool mid season. We have to hope Spurs sack Poch, so he can join us mid season as well, so he can assess the players he has. However, I don’t believe Pochettino will want to jump straight right into another job so fast. The benefits of having Pochettino is that we could get Kane as well. Ferdinand is already taping Kane up and we all know that Kane will have more chance to win something at United with our resources and poch as our manager than at Spurs.

So right now, I will just say get Allegri, Blanc or Wenger. Preferable Wenger, so we can teach some of our players how to play football. Not long term, but just to give these players some proper coaching.
Yes. Man United should most definite buy Harry Kane from Levy of Tottenham Hotspur for 250 million pounds great deal man

Florida Man

I don't think he's the answer but this is incredibly harsh. Southgate made England worth watching again.
England has a far superior squad though. Kane, Sterling, AA for example. Imagine if we had those 3 with us.

Caesar2290

Lauren Blanc. He's at home scratching his nuts so he could come in tomorrow if needed. I'd even give him a direct 3 year contract because there's no way in this world he's worse than Ole.
I believe last year he turned us down because he wanted the job on a permanent basis.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
England has a far superior squad though. Kane, Sterling, AA for example. Imagine if we had those 3 with us.
I'm not comparing England and United. Just saying that it's not on to slate Southgate for not winning the World Cup, considering what we were like before him and how everyone had lost interest.

Acquire Me

Let's be fair, there are probably very few circumstances under which you would agree with him being sacked.
I am not sold on Ole. I am pissed at him tbh. He has to show balls and let them understand that this shit is not good enough. If he cant to that, he has to go. I can accept that we dont win every game, but I cant accept that we dont show up in games. We need to see the positive signs, the players going forward with a clear plan and that we run our socks off.

I dont like that our stance is "we need to give him 3 seasons to rebuild". I think he has to earn his transfer windows so to say. To earn that, he has to make our players move out of the zombie state and make them play the way he wants us to play.

beer&grill

Sacking Ole would not help us. Our players are poor and unmotivated as feck. They have demonstrated that with world class managers as well.
So the only solution left is to let them be unmotivated and poor under norwegian league class managers?

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I am not sold on Ole. I am pissed at him tbh. He has to show balls and let them understand that this shit is not good enough. If he cant to that, he has to go. I can accept that we dont win every game, but I cant accept that we dont show up in games. We need to see the positive signs, the players going forward with a clear plan and that we run our socks off.

I dont like that our stance is "we need to give him 3 seasons to rebuild". I think he has to earn his transfer windows so to say. To earn that, he has to make our players move out of the zombie state and make them play the way he wants us to play.
Fair play :)

Caliban

Nah not at all. It is the end of a cycle. He needs a new objective. Klopp was as bad or even worse at his last season at Dortmund. Now Klopp is the best manager in the world. We all know Poch has that capacity to be the best and all it takes is a club that doesn’t restrict him economically. Let Poch rebuild United similar to the way he rebuilt Spurs, but instead of top four as his goal, a title winning team and the best team in Europe instead.

Ole has not improved none of our players. The best thing Ole can do is use his Norwegian connection to get Håland at United and let Pochettino develop him into the next Kane.
Speaking of cycles. Haaland should not come to United if Ole is sacked. He would/should if so should happen choose Bielsa and Leeds next season in premier league.

Lee565

The board have tried it all now. Woody might as well sponsor a chocolate maker, get them to produce a chocolate bar and put a golden ticket in it saying "Congratulations - you are now the manager of Manchester United" because the board are a bunch of Wonkas.
Would disagree with us trying it all, we have hired two cautious minded managers that were past their prime years and two managers way out of their depth.

We have yet to hire a good attack minded manager in their prime that knows how to coach good, progressive attacking football.

Alemar

Is it possible to play without a manager at all? Just sack Ole and let the players determine tactics and play - it won’t be any worse anyway

pat dunne

Yes ans
Well, he's worked well with Rashford, Lingard, AWB, Maguire...

I think until the Summer he could actually do a decent job with this squad.
Rashford and Lingard should not be at the club and wont be when we are sold or a top international manager comes in . The jury is very much still out on Maguire , i have seen nothing that makes him a 40 million centre half let alone 80 million.Part of the current UTD problem is this nonsense of a British core . Bringing an English manager in would only compound the problem . The simple reality is that the players we have and the young players coming through are not good enough and adding the likes of Maddision , Rice or Longstaff will not improve it very much . To be a top European club we will need top top players . There are no British players with the exception of Kane and Stirling that are in that category .

lsd

The Oracle
The more the season unravels, the more I find the notion of Wenger taking over until the Summer pretty fecking exciting...

Southgate could be another option until the Summer

But who else is out there that's free to step in as a caretaker if things continue on their current path?

Southgate ? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

TrueRed79

Sacking Ole would not help us. Our players are poor and unmotivated as feck. They have demonstrated that with world class managers as well.
Yes it would help us as a half decent manager will keep us in the league. Ole is so far out of his dept it hurts to see it.

BrianLy

Probably but the transfer deals were pretty safe, any manager would use Maguire and AWB. The scary part would be letting Ole build the whole project. A guy without results and no history in management given the keys to build a team?

Disaster in the making.
Wait, you just stated how useful these two signings are, but you don't think he's capable of making other useful signing that another manager could use?

MrSingh2002

Skip caretaker and break the bank for Poch. Peps taken, Klopps taken, Ed didn't back Jose when he should have. Some of the current greatest managers are taken.

Don't forget that Poch knocked City out of the Champs League semi final last season and before he came to Spurs they'd never finished above Arsenal in the Premier League and it was considered unlikely.

The man can improve us no end from where we are now. With more financial firepower for signings and salaries than at Spurs. Get him in.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
So you want the same thing we are getting now, just with another manager? Okey.. sure, that makes sense.

What is that quote about insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again thinking NEXT time it might work out.

Only thing that will change with yet another new manager is that this forum get another name to end their "We need to fire".. with. It's like a constant feeling of deja-vu being in here man.

the chameleon

Wenger as caretaker until the summer.

We need to agree on a deal with Rose or Analsemen for the summer.

Keep Wenger though, just move him up to DoF.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I believe last year he turned us down because he wanted the job on a permanent basis.
That's true which is why I'd give him a direct 3 year contract. He's actually one of the few that ticks all the boxes and he's available. No brainer.

The Firestarter

Roy Keane. Not the greatest tactician, you might say, but boy this lot will be scared shitless .