Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bizarre. He was actually very good against Southampton and undeserving of the stick but much worse today. It really goes to show how results determine perception.

He should have conceded a penalty, was turned by Zaha a fair few times and should really be getting across to get a block in for that De Gea foot save towards the end of the game.

His general defending was significantly better on Monday.
This is exactly how I saw it too.

A-man

Was ok but not great. Had one or two clumsy moments in first half, but overall good anticipation and good at staying close to the attacker. More aggressive in second half.

Halftrack

Should have had a penalty against him in the 1st half and gave a ball straight to Ayew who had a one v one with De gea but fecked it up but ok......
He threw his leg out to block a pass, bit harsh putting that down as "gave the ball straight to Ayew."

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Scares me. Frankly, while Maguire is a little better the two of them are no Pallister and Bruce. For all the talk of p'n money up the wall on Sancho. I still think we need to seriously upgrade at centre half. Lindelof only looks decent because of the other options. Nobody on the CAF can convince me that Lindelof is better than Johnny Evans, for example. Evans, who was widely derided by the CAF as not good enough. Need I say more?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Bizarre. He was actually very good against Southampton and undeserving of the stick but much worse today. It really goes to show how results determine perception.

He should have conceded a penalty, was turned by Zaha a fair few times and should really be getting across to get a block in for that De Gea foot save towards the end of the game.

His general defending was significantly better on Monday.
Amazing. Just amazing. You are blaming him for:
1) Saving our goal with good tackle. He got the ball first. Ref didn't think it was a pen and whole Var room didn't think it was a penalty but you blame him for giving away penalty?
2) Turned by zaha few times? When?
3) He run from other side and closed down Zaha when Maguire fecked up. He should be praised how quick his reactions was there. Did you saw how much space were between Zaha and him when Zaha turned Maguire like second grade defender?

Nori-

Really impressed with him tonight, he was actually better than Maguire?!

Still think we need a better CB but would 100% keep him for next season. The Ice Man :eek:

Ekeke

@Godfather not sure where you get your stats from bro.

Guys been our best defender post lockdown at least and is great in his duels!
He only attempts a duel if he's sure he can win. He attempts the least tackles, least interceptions and has attempted the 5th most aerials and 5th most clearances per 90 mins out of our CBs in the league this season. The less you take responsibility to try and win the ball the harder it is to mess it up. But someone has to do it, so other players need to try and win the ball to make up for Lindelof not and then if they dont win it, they'll get the blame and he'll get away with it.

SirAnderson

He only attempts a duel if he's sure he can win. He attempts the least tackles, least interceptions and has attempted the 5th most aerials out of our CBs in the league this season. The less you take responsibility to try and win the ball the harder it is to mess it up. But someone has to do it, so other players need to try and win the ball to make up for Lindelof not and then if they dont win it, they'll get the blame and he'll get away with it.
Okay.
Anything good to say about him though?
Or is it all bad?

Ekeke

Okay.
Anything good to say about him though?
Or is it all bad?
Check my previous post. Thought he played well against Southampton

Its the very selective and misleading stats you posted that I have a problem with. Its like when people were talking about him never failing a tackle this season. He's attempted just 29 in 33 games and only 2 times an opponent has got past his challenge.... But he's literally played 4 more games than the number of tackles hes attempted all season. As a CB.

SirAnderson

Check my previous post. Thought he played well against Southampton
And tonight?

But it's all good, just hate that people take a dumb on him at every small opportunity and don't take the time to appreciate what he contributes.
The poster I tagged, said he is the worst defender in the PL with 1v1 duels, was just trying to give some perspective.

19 unbeaten run is just as much his accomplishment as is the entire defence that has been consistent since it started.
So easy to find the bad, better to look for the good.

Ekeke

And tonight?

But it's all good, just hate that people take a dumb on him at every small opportunity and don't take the time to appreciate what he contributes.
The poster I tagged, said he is the worst defender in the PL with 1v1 duels, was just trying to give some perspective.

19 unbeaten run is just as much his accomplishment as is the entire defence that has been consistent since it started.
So easy to find the bad, better to look for the good.
I havent seen the match yet so I'm not commenting on how he did tonight. The last game I watched he had one of his best performances, but then made a mistake at the end

Andersons Dietician

Bar one heart in the mouth moment thought he was really really good tonight. Did well helping out Bissaka and getting across to slow up zaha when Bissaka was out of position. Read play well at times and made some decent reads that led to a few interceptions.

That slip/block wasn’t that great but I’m guessing he was trying to stop it dead.

SirAnderson

I havent seen the match yet so I'm not commenting on how he did tonight. The last game I watched he had one of his best performances, but then made a mistake at the end
If you think he did well last game, then this one will be even better. Didn't put a foot wrong for me. Even though we had a very poor performance as a team. Clean sheet is a clean sheet.
Granted we got some luck and then some.

Morpheus 7

We clearly are watching a different games. I doubt anyone would be saying he had a good game, if he cost us that penalty. It was a penalty, he went through Zaha to touch the ball. He give a horrendous clearance in that half which nearly led to a goal. He's a squad player that struggles with fast opposition. We aren't winning a league with Maguire and Lindelof at the back. It's too slow and the passing range and vision isn't good enough, not near good enough. The wnkr statman Dave can put up what he wants. There were big moments he nearly cost us tonight. Great squad player, maybe with a faster new player alongside him but not this combo. People need to stop hyping up mediocrity.

He's nervous and passes responsibility on the ball, rarely can play it out from the back. He passes on the responsibility to the rest of the backline. Rarely bursts to midfield to pass it, at least Maguire trys to create space and ask questions. The praise needs to stop, he's adequate but has weaknesses in his game. Can't understand the praise certain players get.

shahzy

He only attempts a duel if he's sure he can win. .
Isn't that what a defender should be doing?? You don't want a defender going in and losing a duel leaving you exposed and or penalty. Albeit he was lucky today, that Zaha call could have gone the other way easily

A-man

He only attempts a duel if he's sure he can win. He attempts the least tackles, least interceptions and has attempted the 5th most aerials and 5th most clearances per 90 mins out of our CBs in the league this season. The less you take responsibility to try and win the ball the harder it is to mess it up. But someone has to do it, so other players need to try and win the ball to make up for Lindelof not and then if they dont win it, they'll get the blame and he'll get away with it.
He’s most of the time the last man so I prefer if he doesn’t make chance tackles but only tackles if he is convinced he can win it. If not convinced, better to follow and staying close to the attacker which he is very good at. Throwing around 50/50 tackles is not taking responsibility imo.

Ekeke

Isn't that what a defender should be doing?? You don't want a defender going in and losing a duel leaving you exposed and or penalty. Albeit he was lucky today, that Zaha call could have gone the other way easily
No.

A defender should be making challenges with calculated risks, not no risks. You can't just let the other team have the ball until they have a shot, if one player is backing off and trying not to make any tackles then someone else has to come over and take the calculated risk of trying to win the ball back instead of the defender.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Very responsible and mature performance today, although very lucky to get away with the penalty claim.

I can visibly see him putting his heart on the line for his team, and he made numerable crucial challenges as well as kept his teammates organised.

He is still developing and has a bright future; most likely as our 3rd and rotating central defender which anyway would get him loads of games.

A-man

Its the very selective and misleading stats you posted that I have a problem with. Its like when people were talking about him never failing a tackle this season. He's attempted just 29 in 33 games and only 2 times an opponent has got past his challenge.... But he's literally played 4 more games than the number of tackles hes attempted all season. As a CB.
Lindelof has 0.8 tackles per match.

Some other tackling stats from well known CBs who don’t need to tackle much:
Virgil van Dijk 0.6 tackles per match
Gomez 1.1
Maguire 1.0
Laporte 1.0
Ramos 1.3
Piqué 0.9
Varane 0.9
de Ligt 1.0
Bonucci 0.8
Alaba 1.1
Boating 0.9

And your favourite Chris Smalling, 0.8 tackles per match

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Honestly think he's awful. Just cannot for the life of me see what other people see in him. So slow and weak and I just see countless errors or weaknesses every game with him that I think we're lucky to get away with. Stick him next to Van Dijk and he might look ok but I'm not a fan at all of the Lindelof Maguire pairing. I think Maguire is decent and a good leader in defence but Lindelof is not and never will be the answer to partner him long term if we're going to be successful. It has to be someone quicker and better

Revan

Assumptionman
Scares me. Frankly, while Maguire is a little better the two of them are no Pallister and Bruce. For all the talk of p'n money up the wall on Sancho. I still think we need to seriously upgrade at centre half. Lindelof only looks decent because of the other options. Nobody on the CAF can convince me that Lindelof is better than Johnny Evans, for example. Evans, who was widely derided by the CAF as not good enough. Need I say more?
Depends which version of Evans. The one in 2009-2013? Of course he was better than Lindelof (and Magure for that matter), by a large distance. In fact, in Fergie's final season, I thought he was our best CB. Of course, he was partnered by either Vidic or Ferdinand, which might have made defending easier.

Evans in 2013-2014? Nah, he was terrible. The match against City might have been the worst I've seen of a CB in our shirt. Balotelli toyed with him all match long, and made Evans look like a 52 years old player in a retiree league.

Revan

Assumptionman
Lindelof has 0.8 tackles per match.

Some other tackling stats from well known CBs who don’t need to tackle much:
Virgil van Dijk 0.6 tackles per match
Gomez 1.1
Maguire 1.0
Laporte 1.0
Ramos 1.3
Piqué 0.9
Varane 0.9
de Ligt 1.0
Bonucci 0.8
Alaba 1.1
Boating 0.9

And your favourite Chris Smalling, 0.8 tackles per match
Yeah, this is weird. No idea what Ekeke is having, but 0.8 tackles per match is perfectly reasonable.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not his best game today. Made a few errors.
Actually thought he had a bad game, surprised to see some posts.
Honestly think he's awful. Just cannot for the life of me see what other people see in him. So slow and weak and I just see countless errors or weaknesses every game with him that I think we're lucky to get away with. Stick him next to Van Dijk and he might look ok but I'm not a fan at all of the Lindelof Maguire pairing. I think Maguire is decent and a good leader in defence but Lindelof is not and never will be the answer to partner him long term if we're going to be successful. It has to be someone quicker and better

what else were you expecting to make him earn your credit??

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
what else were you expecting to make him earn your credit??

I'm probably one of the most vehement Lindelof supporters on this forum, I just personally thought he did a few things wrong and wasn't as good as he was the other night.

I'm not suggesting he was awful FFS :lol:

Also, stats don't always tell the full story of a performance.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Doesn't count being skinned or bullied, fouls that should have been penalties, weak clearing headers/clearances and being slow in recovery for starters
Erm, he was part of a unit that kept a clean sheet, no meaningful errors, and great game stats.
But yeah, your observations are obviously boss.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'm probably one of the most vehement Lindelof supporters on this forum, I just personally thought he did a few things wrong and wasn't as good as he was the other night.
I'm not suggesting he was awful FFS :lol:
Also, stats don't always tell the full story of a performance.
OK - in that context, your assessment makes sense.
Sure it wasn't a Baresi or Maldini masterclass, but it was good enough.
Certainly doesn't deserve any criticism!

Berbaclass

Erm, he was part of a unit that kept a clean sheet, no meaningful errors, and great game stats.
That's funny because I remember him steaming into a challenge which was certainly a debatable penalty. The only reason it didn't get given IMO was the weird way we have decided to implement VAR in this country.

If the referee sees it again it's 100% given.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That's funny because I remember him steaming into a challenge which was certainly a debatable penalty. The only reason it didn't get given IMO was the weird way we have decided to implement VAR in this country.
If the referee sees it again it's 100% given.
And yet it wasn't a penalty according to the ref and VAR.
Which means it definitely wasn't a penalty.
Which actually means it was probably a goal saving tackle.
Margins between success and failure can be very fine. I'd say he took a pretty cool decision.

Berbaclass

And yet it wasn't a penalty.
Which means it definitely wasn't a penalty.
Which actually means it was a fantastic and probably goal saving tackle.
Pretty cool I'd say.
Of course, I agree and I'm glad we got away with it but It's still a mistake in my eyes.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Seeings you love your stats clearly, Palace had 13 goal attempts despite having only 40% of the ball. De Gea made a number of important saves, they had a goal disallowed for a toenail offside and should have had a penalty when Lindelof was clumsy in the box on Zaha. That was all despite us having 2 defense minded fullbacks and against a team in horrendous form that's lost their last 5 in a row. Don't need boss observations to see all of that

Kamprad

Well that was just pure luck he didn’t cause the penalty. If he’d missed the ball behind(!) Zahas leg it would have been a clear pen. Beside that he was ok as he always is because he never takes any risks. Passive defending is this guys trademark. Why is it always Mcguire who always takes the ball forward? I want to see Lindelof do it more than once every third game.

Status
Not open for further replies.