Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

Everybody got to stop using the third best defense in the league as a sign that our defense is good because it doesn't when we're conceding nearly a goal a game.

Lindelof's a sham as a defender. A proper defender clears the fecking danger instead of pointing and expecting his teammates to do it.
If clearing the danger is the definition of a proper defender, I am happy to announce Lindelof cleared the ball 5 times, which is more than anybody else on the pitch. So please, stop using the ” he is expecting other to do his job” because its obviously not true.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I must say that personally, my own opinion of VNL has changed a lot over the course of the season. I didn’t see anything in him before, but in my opinion now, he’s fecking quality. He’s no brute, of course - but he reads the game well, is positionally good and has very good reactions. If anything, it’s Harry next to him who has looked less assured as the season grew.

I wouldn’t be adverse to upgrading Lindelöf at all (it’s obviously not going to be our £80m captain) - but I just want to say that in his own right, I think he’s very good. His style makes him less eye catching as it isn’t big sliding, big bullying. But he’s a quality player. One that I imagine Pep would love.

kps88

We need another center back to give him some competition because Baily, Jones and Rojo are all either injured or disasters waiting to happen.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The cross was deflected and looped ahead and over Lindelof straight into the path of De Jong. De Jong didn't head the ball in, he kicked it in. Neither player had a chance to head the ball.

Saying this because people talking about his heading ability are completely wrong in this situation. He didn't miss a clear headed clearance, there was zero chance of that happening...it was a deflected ball.

How? Neither Lindelof or AWB could possible have guessed that heading the ball wouldn't come into play. As far as they're concerned they should be planning for all outcomes... and the only outcome Sevilla possibly had was for De Jong to put it in the net one way or another. The deflection on the cross is totally irrelevant.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

... but after yesterday I'm seriously tired of his shit. He cannot start next season, we need to go out and finally find complete player, none of that good at this and shit at that.

Last edited:

edcunited1878

How? Neither Lindelof or AWB could possible have guessed that heading the ball wouldn't come into play. As far as they're concerned they should be planning for all outcomes... and the only outcome Sevilla possibly had was for De Jong to put it in the net one way or another. The deflection on the cross is totally irrelevant.
The deflection went in Sevilla's favor. Lindelof was covering the space in front for the near post run or if De Jong spun off AWB. AWB tracked De Jong from outside the box or at the very top and that was his man to mark, no space. The CB marks space and is feeling the space and feeling anything behind him knowing okay, I've got my teammate there (who by thr way isn't goal side and still hasn't been).

You can't react to a deflected ball like that because it still remained flat and it was still at pace and it took out Lindelof as said becauss the ball deflected off Williams going ahead and over Lindelof quite clearly where there's nothing you can do about that. Those are mere seconds of running on thr half turn about 8 yards. Lindelof kept moving and it was clear what he was doing. AWB was the only person in that frame who legitimately stopped moving and stopped defending who never was goal side and was next to De Jong the entire time. He allowed him to go in front of him, no resistance.

Zoo

Ignore the tweet but in video you can see Lindelof looks back and see AWB near attacker. Only thing I will fault Lindelof here is that he didn't take matter into his own hand and trusted AWB. AWB was at fault for both goals

It's Lindelof's man. He should take responsibility, same as against Chelsea where he passed the buck on to De Gea hoping he'd make the save.

Eugenius

Stop right there. We won't have an accurate description of events here, thank you very much!
De Jong when he makes contact with the ball is literally in the middle of the goal, on the edge of the 6 yard box. And Lindelof doesn't even know he's there. Zero exaggeration.

It's an AWB mistake but 100 percent of time you would expect your centre back to be playing some role in stopping that.

It's Lindelof's man. He should take responsibility, same as against Chelsea where he passed the buck on to De Gea hoping he'd make the save.
No, it's not. Lindelof should have been a bit closer to the goal to clear the cross (or De Gea could leave his line for once) but that was 100% AWB's man all the way up to the point he inexplicably stopped and stood still.

edcunited1878

And it's Lindelof's responsibility to have the area in front of him covered. The center forward makes runs off a defenders movements and decided to go straight, in front of AWB who was next to De Jong the entire time until he stopped.

The deflected ball took out Lindelof. That's really unfortunate and unlucky...but stopping to defend and never being goal side or in line with your CBs or not physically engaging with thr man you're marking into the box and stopping is a mistake.

CMs are responsible to track their runners into the box and defend them.its their man. They don't pass them off and stop and switch off. Why is that any different to AWB?

Man-United

What a fecking joke AWB is in that situation. It's his man and he couldn't give a feck.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
The deflection went in Sevilla's favor. Lindelof was covering the space in front for the near post run or if De Jong spun off AWB. AWB tracked De Jong from outside the box or at the very top and that was his man to mark, no space. The CB marks space and is feeling the CB behind him knowing okay, I've got my teammate there (who by thr way isn't goal side and still hasn't been).

You can't react to a deflected ball like that because it still remained flat and it was still at pace and it took out Lindelof as said becauss the ball deflected off Williams going ahead and over Lindelof quite clearly where there's nothing you can do about that. Those are mere seconds of running on thr half turn about 8 yards. Lindelof kept moving and it was clear what he was doing. AWB was the only person in that frame who legitimately stopped moving and stopped defending who never was goal side and was next to De Jong the entire time. He allowed him to go in front of him, no resistance.
So he's accounting for one possible eventuality? what kind of defending is that?

De Jong would have the beating of AWB in the air every time. If the ball was aimed at De Jong's head and AWB had marked him properly, then they still well could have scored as he'd have the beating him in the air every time. Are you honestly saying AWB is the best person to be marking him from a cross?

End of the day they're both morons. There's one man, and no one else around for 20 yards. Just double up on the fecker.

RedDevil@84

Lindelof sees his man and doesnt try to defend against him, he leaves it to someone else
Unless he has his eyes behind him, he did not see the man until it was too late. I know this is a Lindelof bashing thread, but it is ridiculous to say it is not AWB's fault, when the man was strolling right in front of him. He just stood there blinking for whatever reason. Just because his job is to stop the attacks from the sides, doesn't mean he allows players to run through centre.

Lindelof was completely at fault for his positioning, not keeping an eye on his player and for complete miscommunication when he left the ball go, assuming United player was behind him. But I put the goal majorly on AWB. Not my job is not an excuse when you are so close to an opposition player making the run.

edcunited1878

De Jong when he makes contact with the ball is literally in the middle of the goal, on the edge of the 6 yard box. And Lindelof doesn't even know he's there. Zero exaggeration.

It's an AWB mistake but 100 percent of time you would expect your centre back to be playing some role in stopping that.
Of course Lindelof knows he's there....but where was AWB? Defensive cover and rotation are always taught and covered.

The ball is deflected and takes a different trajectory that took out Lindelof, that's not his fault. It literally went to De Jong. De Jong went straight across AWB's face and straight...he had the best chance to see the flight of the ball and just tuck it in because AWB wasnt goal side, allowed De Jong to freely hit the ball.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Course he knows he's there. He checks over his shoulder, twice, and sees AWB picking him up twice - as he should be. So that's 100% exaggeration. If AWB, for whatever reason, can't start what is essentially a static man, then he communicates with Lindelof. This notion that FBs are incapable doing their job without being baby-sat is total nonsense. That man is AWBs responsibility. Always.

If Maguire is deeper then yes, he should be. But, again, Lindelof rightfully shifts across to cover the vacated space. The defence is a unit. They defend as a unit. CF = CB's man is absolute trollop.

edcunited1878

So he's accounting for one possible eventuality? what kind of defending is that?

De Jong would have the beating of AWB in the air every time. If the ball was aimed at De Jong's head and AWB had marked him properly, then they still well could have scored as he'd have the beating him in the air every time. Are you honestly saying AWB is the best person to be marking him from a cross?

End of the day they're both morons. There's one man, and no one else around for 20 yards. Just double up on the fecker.
Lindelof and any other CB are anticipating a cross. Ground or air. They are ready to play and react off of any cross. The ball was aimed at De Jong, it wasn't a header that beat Lindelof or United. It was a deflected pass that De Jong kicked into the net.

The fecker is still moving and the one player who stopped moving, AWB, allowed the moving fecker to run in front of him, get goal side of him, and didnt even body him or make him physically get position to put him off on a goal attempt. It's shit defending from AWB.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Course he knows he's there. He checks over his shoulder, twice, and sees AWB picking him up twice - as he should be. So that's 100% exaggeration. If AWB, for whatever reason, can't start what is essentially a static man, then he communicates with Lindelof. This notion that FBs are incapable doing their job without being baby-sat is total nonsense. That man is AWBs responsibility. Always.

If Maguire is deeper then yes, he should be. But, again, Lindelof rightfully shifts across to cover the vacated space. The defence is a unit. They defend as a unit. CF = CB's man is absolute trollop.
Totally agree. AWB has let his man go, whether it's tiredness, or just switching off I wouldn't know, but AWB was close to him, Lindelof closed the space at the near post, so it's an AWB mistake in my opinion. I think Bailly is a better defender than Lindelof, so would always have him in my team, but fairs fair, Lindelof did nothing wrong in my eyes. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Lindelof and any other CB are anticipating a cross. Ground or air. They are ready to play and react off of any cross. The ball was aimed at De Jong, it wasn't a header that beat Lindelof or United. It was a deflected pass that De Jong kicked into the net.

The fecker is still moving and the one player who stopped moving, AWB, allowed the moving fecker to run in front of him, get goal side of him, and didnt even body him or make him physically get position to put him off on a goal attempt. It's shit defending from AWB.
But what if the cross had been aimed at De Jong's head? You'd have been happy with AWB as the man to mark him? Don't you think it would be better to have the player that's stronger in the air marking him? Again, nobody could possibly know what type of cross is going to come in... so the argument that he kicked it into the net doesn't fly, as unless I've missed something, Lindelof cannot predict the future.

Ultimately Lindelof is in no position to react off any cross other then one that comes right at him, a high cross would go over his head, a low cross could whip around him... the ONLY danger in the scenario is De Jong, if both him and AWB mark him, he doesn't score, easy.

Catania

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
Catania
Back 4 should always defend as a unit.
If the ball is on the left side, then the whole defend move left and so on.
3 of the 4 defenders moved and try to defend (with more or less success).
One decided he moved enough this game and it was time for a break...
How anyone can defend AWB is just amazing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Totally agree. AWB has let his man go, whether it's tiredness, or just switching off I wouldn't know, but AWB was close to him, Lindelof closed the space at the near post, so it's an AWB mistake in my opinion. I think Bailly is a better defender than Lindelof, so would always have him in my team, but fairs fair, Lindelof did nothing wrong in my eyes. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.
Why does lindelof need to cut off space at the front post with 1 man in the box?

He should be worrying about the man that scored the goal, not the invisible ghost at the front post :lol:

Yes AWB could have done more to block him also, but Lindelof needs to be aware of his surroundings and realise there is literally 1 threat, and that's De Jong.

If he marks him tightly he block De Jong moving forwards on the cross and he doesn't reach the ball. Instead he doesn't do anything to effect him and he gets an easy tap in 5 yards away form the goal. None of the defense cover themselves in glory but Lindelof is the main culprit.

De Jong isn't AWBs man to mark, it's Lindelof and he should be taking responsibility.

Squeaky Bumtime

But what if the cross had been aimed at De Jong's head? You'd have been happy with AWB as the man to mark him? Don't you think it would be better to have the player that's stronger in the air marking him? Again, nobody could possibly know what type of cross is going to come in... so the argument that he kicked it into the net doesn't fly, as unless I've missed something, Lindelof cannot predict the future.

Ultimately Lindelof is in no position to react off any cross other then one that comes right at him, a high cross would go over his head, a low cross could whip around him... the ONLY danger in the scenario is De Jong, if both him and AWB mark him, he doesn't score, easy.
Its a strange point really. He anticiped a cross? By standing in an area in which he thought the cross would come. You anticipate a cross by marking an attacker who is right near you. Not to mention Maguire was in front of him too.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

I do not understand how there can be any kind of argument about what you are saying. Its 100% correct.

Lindelof hates responsibility. We see it every time he gets the ball and starts frantically gesturing for players to come short to give him an easy ball out. He hates being the one to have to take charge of the situation. The ball's trajectory is right past him, it cannot reach De Jong if he takes responsibility. However, as always, he doesn't. He just stays somewhere vaguely in his zone.

That leads to AWB, another one who is too often asleep on the aerial ball, getting done because he doesn't anticipate the danger of Lindelof getting done.

The second goal we let in (much like the first) was totally and utterly avoidable. We were not done by brilliant play or some superb individual skill. We were, again, done by defensive lapses. That's what is hardest to take.

ivaldo

Why does lindelof need to cut off space at the front post with 1 man in the box?

He should be worrying about the man that scored the goal, not the invisible ghost at the front post :lol:

Yes AWB could have done more to block him also, but Lindelof needs to be aware of his surroundings and realise there is literally 1 threat, and that's De Jong.

If he marks him tightly he block De Jong moving forwards on the cross and he doesn't reach the ball. Instead he doesn't do anything to effect him and he gets an easy tap in 5 yards away form the goal. None of the defense cover themselves in glory but Lindelof is the main culprit.

De Jong isn't AWBs man to mark, it's Lindelof and he should be taking responsibility.
Because A). Players move and B). Balls can't teleport. They need to move through the space the 'ghost' I'd occupying. But Lindelof standing on AWBs toes, doing the same job as AWB makes much more sense.... somehow.

Eugenius

De Jong is literally the only player in the box. The only way that ball is going into the net. He should not just be content that our RB is picking up their 6"2 centre forward and leave him 1vs1. At the very least he should be be opening up his body position that he can see the danger and help out AWB. The fact De Jong scored from where he did (middle of the goal, 6 yards out) and Lindelof did nothing to affect him says it all. That is why Bruno was going mad.

He did the same thing Southampton away against their Vestegaard. Instead of anticipating the danger and getting tight (ie the big 6'6 guy hovering around) he just pointed at him, and we conceded an equaliser. Had people on here defending him too saying he couldn't do anything against a giant, but it transpires that's the only goal he's ever scored for Southampton.

SAFMUTD

Its both Lindelof and AWB fault there, Lindelof lets the cross pass maybe thinking AWB has it covered and AWB stays still thinking I dont know what.

Anyway a CB cant let a cross pass just standig nor a Fullback should let his man unmarked, really poor from both.

Also I know is not a clear error but that cross was inside the 6 yard box, thats De Gea's territory I know he never goes out for crosses but a good keeper could have stop that one before it arrived to De Jong.

ivaldo

Its a strange point really. He anticiped a cross? By standing in an area in which he thought the cross would come. You anticipate a cross by marking an attacker who is right near you. Not to mention Maguire was in front of him too.
You don't mark someone that is already marked, because that makes one of you entirely redundant. Which is why DMs when they are the extra man don't stand next to the CB to mark the striker. They shield the space in front to try and stop the ball reaching the player at all.

I can't see how anyone can watch AWB literally see him fun past him and do nothing and think it isn't massively his fault.

ivaldo

De Jong is literally the only player in the box. The only way that ball is going into the net. He should not just be content that our RB is picking up their 6"2 centre forward and leave him 1vs1. At the very least he should be be opening up his body position that he can see the danger and help out AWB. The fact De Jong scored from where he did (middle of the goal, 6 yards out) and Lindelof did nothing to affect him says it all. That is why Bruno was going mad.
Yes he's literally the only player in the box. He's also literally able to move, meaning preventing the ball reaching him is as important as challenging him when he gets it. What has being 6'2 got to do with it when he used his feet to finish? Yes he should have opened up his body. Unfortunately, the deflection from the cross meant even if he was side on he wouldn't have got there. If there is any kind of low cross or near post run then that's Lindelof all day long. Do we think LDJ is incapable of making that run? If the ball takes a natural flight into the box then Lindelof wins the header. If AWB doesn't explicably decide he doesn't want to defend then we don't concede. If Maguire doesn't go waaaay past the near post then Lindelof doesn't have to cover across. Honestly, it's like defending space and shuffling across is a foreign concept and hadn't been occuring in football for 50 years.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I think the argument is that Lindelof has the ability to predict the future, and so knew beforehand exactly where the cross was going to go and so stood their in anticipation... but this new found superpower has one weakness - deflections. Once deflections come into play, his predictive powers failed him and he is helpless to do anything. Or something.

You don't mark someone that is already marked, because that makes one of you entirely redundant. Which is why DMs when they are the extra man don't stand next to the CB to mark the striker. They shield the space in front to try and stop the ball reaching the player at all.

I can't see how anyone can watch AWB literally see him fun past him and do nothing and think it isn't massively his fault.
People double up on people all the time... at corners/crosses etc... one in front/one goal side. It's a pretty normal thing when you have men over.

But even if you're saying that only one person should be marking De Jong for whatever reason, shouldn't that person be Lindelof? As he is much better in the air then AWB? AWB should never in a million years just leave his man, but Lindelof should be taking charge.

I keep saying this, and nobody is answering ... but if that cross is aimed towards De Jong's head and AWB marks him properly, who is the favourite to win the header? Him or AWB?

Squeaky Bumtime

I think the argument is that Lindelof has the ability to predict the future, and so knew beforehand exactly where the cross was going to go and so stood their in anticipation... but this new found superpower has one weakness - deflections. Once deflections come into play, his predictive powers failed him and he is helpless to do anything. Or something.
Yeah he was like I'll deal with the cross withoud doing anything and standing in no man's land.

Squeaky Bumtime

You either try to shield the space standing a lot closer to the player making the cross or you mark the player. this way he expected AWB to deal with De Jong but was poorly positioned, he concluded he'll be able to deal with the cross and he concluded that or stood in that position based on really nothing.

ivaldo

People double up on people all the time... at corners/crosses etc... one in front/one goal side. It's a pretty normal thing when you have men over.

But even if you're saying that only one person should be marking De Jong for whatever reason, shouldn't that person be Lindelof? As he is much better in the air then AWB? AWB should never in a million years just leave his man, but Lindelof should be taking charge.

I keep saying this, and nobody is answering ... but if that cross is aimed towards De Jong's head and AWB marks him properly, who is the favourite to win the header? Him or AWB?
No they don't. The smaller player gets touch tight to prevent the run while the bigger player tends to zonal defend. They literally 'mark the space.' And usually, if a team concedes a goal from that set up, we get the same old its a mismatch!' nonsense spouted.

Ideally yes. But as there is great Maguire shaped hole in between our penalty spot and the near post, the players shift across. Lindelof takes the vacated space, AWB takes the role of Lindelof.

I'll counter by asking this: If De Jong makes a near post run into that gaping hole, do we say, yup, that's fair, or do we wonder why two players are doing the same job?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
For me he needed to be closer to the attacker, though AWB should have stayed with the attacker too. What else is Lindelof gonna do but cover the one attacker near him? He even turns to look at him so he knows he's there.

ivaldo

You either try to shield the space standing a lot closer to the player making the cross or you mark the player. this way he expected AWB to deal with De Jong but was poorly positioned, he concluded he'll be able to deal with the cross and he concluded that or stood in that position based on really nothing.
And if AWB was positioned properly, and let's be honest he absolutely should be positioned properly seeing as he followed him into the box and stood stationary next to him; is that goal scored? If there is a near post run do we think it's fine that two players are marking one man? Or do we then use the power of hindsight and wonder why we just left a chasm at the front post? Both situations would be deemed wrong

Eugenius

Yes he's literally the only player in the box. He's also literally able to move, meaning preventing the ball reaching him is as important as challenging him when he gets it. What has being 6'2 got to do with it when he used his feet to finish? Yes he should have opened up his body. Unfortunately, the deflection from the cross meant even if he was side on he wouldn't have got there. If there is any kind of low cross or near post run then that's Lindelof all day long. Do we think LDJ is incapable of making that run? If the ball takes a natural flight into the box then Lindelof wins the header. If AWB doesn't explicably decide he doesn't want to defend then we don't concede. If Maguire doesn't go waaaay past the near post then Lindelof doesn't have to cover across. Honestly, it's like defending space and shuffling across is a foreign concept and hadn't been occuring in football for 50 years.
Defending space, sometimes also called ball watching depending on how it's done.

Strelok

The deflection went in Sevilla's favor. Lindelof was covering the space in front for the near post run or if De Jong spun off AWB. AWB tracked De Jong from outside the box or at the very top and that was his man to mark, no space. The CB marks space and is feeling the space and feeling anything behind him knowing okay, I've got my teammate there (who by thr way isn't goal side and still hasn't been).

You don't understand football mate. AWB stopping to mark his man is stupid. But even if AWB was continuing to mark his man it's still De Jong who would likely get to the ball first because AWB was behind him.

Lindelof should took a step back and stayed in front of De Jong. That's a very basic thing for a defender to do. You don't hope your teammate who was running behind a striker to defend against a cross that comes from the opposite side. You should be the one doing that because you're the last thing that stand between that striker and the ball. You don't stop marking the single striker in the box until the ball is out of play. That's fecking basic mate.

And of course Bruno was mad, everyone should be it's amateurish defending tbh.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Defending space, sometimes also called ball watching depending on how it's done.
So we've moved from not marking, to bad positioning to ball watching. Keep the consistency chaps!

Annihilate Now!

Scout
No they don't. The smaller player gets touch tight to prevent the run while the bigger player tends to zonal defend. They literally 'mark the space.' And usually, if a team concedes a goal from that set up, we get the same old its a mismatch!' nonsense spouted.

Ideally yes. But as there is great Maguire shaped hole in between our penalty spot and the near post, the players shift across. Lindelof takes the vacated space, AWB takes the role of Lindelof.

I'll counter by asking this: If De Jong makes a near post run into that gaping hole, do we say, yup, that's fair, or do we wonder why two players are doing the same job?
Well if you have two men on him he'd probably be unable to make that run as the man in front would be blocking him off... and even if he were able to make such a run, one of the defenders could easily match it and make the block (this is something that Lindelof is actually very good at when he's marking someone).

The Bigger man taking a zonal position usually happens when they are in much closer proximity to the danger - so they can effectively challenge with that player for the ball. Maguire is doing feck all in his position which obviously doesn't help matters, but Lindelof is in such a narrow space where he can effect the play- the only thing he could really stop is a low cross (and even that could be potentially be whipped around him). The space between him and AWB is so large that De Jong could easily run between the two and have scored at the near post should the ball have gone there.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I agree. He makes really bad mistakes and needs upgrading. Another bench player

Status
Not open for further replies.