Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
People were calling to make him captain after a run of decent form in the middle of last season. Other than that short period he's been dire his whole time here.

Fussmeister

Looked good couple of months last season but other then that pretty meh. Perhaps its me but he never looks like he is running max, just drifting around at 80%. So frustrating to watch.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I doubt he'd stay in the team
Aye. I'm not saying they should buy him :wenger: I just think their style would be less demanding for him to be an all around good defender. I wouldn't be surprised if that story was planted by his agent btw.

Ekeke

Aye. I'm not saying they should buy him :wenger: I just think their style would be less demanding for him to be an all around good defender. I wouldn't be surprised if that story was planted by his agent btw.
I dunno, Barcelona have made plenty of signings of players who were hyped up a bit and then they have a season there and then they want someone else. I expect the same would have played out like with United this season. Lots of hype, realizing he's quite average and then looking for the next player

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
People were calling to make him captain after a run of decent form in the middle of last season. Other than that short period he's been dire his whole time here.
And all summer. Quite phenomenal.

DVG7

When you have a player who is often the last player between the other teams attacker and our goalkeeper, and that player appears to struggle pretty severely with imposing himself physically, then it's potentially catastrophic every time he's on the field against any player with even an ounce of "cajones" as Troy Deeney would say.

It's probably not too much of a stretch to say that an amateur footballer who's good at holding the ball up could have a good game against Lindelof. He really does lack bravery, and it shows in his face when he's trying to win the ball back or get tight to a defender. If you're an opposition manager and have a striker that likes to put himself about, the instructions are pretty simple; Bully Lindelof.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
When you have a player who is often the last player between the other teams attacker and our goalkeeper, and that player appears to struggle pretty severely with imposing himself physically, then it's potentially catastrophic every time he's on the field against any player with even an ounce of "cajones" as Troy Deeney would say.

It's probably not too much of a stretch to say that an amateur footballer who's good at holding the ball up could have a good game against Lindelof. He really does lack bravery, and it shows in his face when he's trying to win the ball back or get tight to a defender. If you're an opposition manager and have a striker that likes to put himself about, the instructions are pretty simple; Bully Lindelof.
Yeah, he's a strange player. I think he does get targeted as the weakest link in our backline. Would be interesting to know what Benfica supporters thought of him when he was there.

Ekeke

Yeah, he's a strange player. I think he does get targeted as the weakest link in our backline. Would be interesting to know what Benfica supporters thought of him when he was there.
"Maybe we can sell him to a big club for lots of money then forget about him"

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"Maybe we can sell him to a big club for lots of money then forget about him"
When I look for articles from around the time we signed him I see that he was called the "Iceman" for his composure under pressure, that his best skill is his ball playing ability and high successful pass percentage, and that he's blessed with pace and good in the air. Also compared to Rio Ferdinand.

Maybe these pieces are all just boilerplate stuff. Or he used to be a highly promising defender back in the day.

el3mel

When I look for articles from around the time we signed him I see that he was called the "Iceman" for his composure under pressure, that his best skill is his ball playing ability and high successful pass percentage, and that he's blessed with pace and good in the air. Also compared to Rio Ferdinand.

Maybe these pieces are all just boilerplate stuff. Or he used to be a highly promising defender back in the day.
I remember an article on Squawqa when we signed him saying Bailly and Lindelof might be the new Rio and Vidic pairing for United. Great days.

Worst thing is I actually believed this article back then. :nervous:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I remember an article on Squawqa when we signed him saying Bailly and Lindelof might be the new Rio and Vidic pairing for United. Great days.

Worst thing is I actually believed this article back then. :nervous:
I thought similar of Bailly when he joined as I thought of Tim Howard when he first arrived. That we'd unearthed some outstanding talent. What a pity that turned out.

el3mel

I thought similar of Bailly when he joined as I thought of Tim Howard when he first arrived. That we'd unearthed some outstanding talent. What a pity that turned out.
I though Bailly wad going to be our main defender for as many years to come.

That sense of being delusional was fun. Now I am cautious about every new signing, which is boring.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I guarantee if the roles were refused, you wouldn't be saying Wan-Bissaka should share the blame. All the blame would be put at the feet of Lindelof.

He was good today. Did very little wrong. The narrative has been written him for though I suppose.
Why can’t Lindelof take the blame for the goal?

Ekeke

Just the usual hype around players we're linked to from Portugal isnt it? Arent they all the new Ronaldo etc?

Litch

I actually think he's a good player. Yep not the strongest in the air but he wins his fair share of headers. The problem on fan forums especially when we are losing, we look for the same dog to kick irrespective of whether they had anything to do with the loss or not. We forensically look at the game and pick apart what they could or should have done. Can't believe that some are suggesting yesterday's goal is on him or that yesterday's performance was poor. Honestly this place is becoming ridiculous.....

Godfather

I guarantee if the roles were refused, you wouldn't be saying Wan-Bissaka should share the blame. All the blame would be put at the feet of Lindelof.

He was good today. Did very little wrong. The narrative has been written him for though I suppose.
He should have done better for the goal. AWB was mainly at fault for that ridiculous act of defending but what Lindelöf was doing I have no idea.

I don't care if he has a good game for 90% of the time when he gives away goals constantly.

We had. Then he met our coaches and physios.

Litch

He should have done better for the goal. AWB was mainly at fault for that ridiculous act of defending but what Lindelöf was doing I have no idea.

I don't care if he has a good game for 90% of the time when he gives away goals constantly.
Rubbish, he doesn't give goals away constantly. Also, what sort of football planet do some people actually live on. Are people really expecting Utd players to not make 10% mistakes in 90mins.

settembrini

I didn't blame Lindelof for the goal yesterday when watching it live. Looking back at it this morning his defending is baffling. Bournemouth play two upfront, King and C. Wilson. Maguire should mark one, Lindelof the other. As the move develops you can see Maguire do a standard marking job on Wilson, he gets close to him and sticks with his man. Lindelof meanwhile doesn't appear to be marking anyone, at one point he has a relatively good position in the middle of our box but as King moves into that position anticipating the cross Lindelof moves away from it to leave King unmarked. Wan-Bissaka sees this and tries to cover hence why our right back is marking their centre forward.

Now from that point on the goal is on Wan-Bissaka. He tries to win the ball when he isn't in a position to and instead lets King turn him. So he certainly deserves blame. But Lindelof's defending in the build-up is just bizarre, he actively seems to be shirking out of his job like Matic does when he plays.

A-man

I’m not sure it is true, but I heard it is Lindelof’s fault United missed 4 out of 6 penalties.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
He’s so nervous at times. He runs to a player - then back peddles without trying to show them down the line or into an area where others are covering - he just seems to try hold them up and expect another to come swooping in to tackle.

He also beckons others a lot. Ball over the top - waves at de Gea (rightly or wrongly) to come out for the ball. He isn’t composed or a leader in these areas. Quite weak under long balls too.

Just can’t warm to him.

Ekeke

I’m not sure it is true, but I heard it is Lindelof’s fault United missed 4 out of 6 penalties.
Nope not his fault. His only fault is the weak defending he's been guilty of this season... And half of last season. And the season before that.

He'll probably start playing better in the new year

On the evidence of their United careers so far, Daily Blind was a better centre back for us...

...Runs away and hides.
Daley Blind is probably the best CB we've had since SAF left.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So letting his man free is not his fault?
Would be if that's what actually happened.

But that's not how football works. Young let's his man run and Lindelof shuffles over to cover that run. AWB tucks in and we had adequate cover. As much as it might pain you and others to admit it, that goal is all on AWB, no one else.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Nope not his fault. His only fault is the weak defending he's been guilty of this season... And half of last season. And the season before that.

You're expecting us to concede no goals in the new year?

Litch

How many games have we lost through poor defending. Are we really expecting if we don't score, the games to finish 0-0? Even the best teams are still conceding, it just looks better when you have won. If we don't score goals, it just puts more pressure on the defence.

Romez

Daley Blind is probably the best CB we've had since SAF left.
Well that’s just stupid.

Anyway, Lindelofs ball playing ability is vastly overstated.

He’s composed and decent on the ball but he’s no where near a ball playing CB like Maguire is.

I feel like this myth has started because he’s better on the ball than Smalling, but people act like he’s prime Hummels.

Ekeke

Statistically the lowest rated CBs in the premier league this season to have started 10 matches

Lindelof in at 5th. Better than Bednarek who I thought looked pretty good last season though in 2nd

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Fault, not at fault, who cares... Can anyone look at his defending for the goal and think that was a rational thing for a center back to do? AWB could have caught the ball and chucked it into the net and I'd still wonder why the feck Lindelof is running away from the ball.

This isn't a witch hunt it or people picking on him. It's watching the things he actually does in the game and then thinking "what the feck is he doing that for?"

Last edited:

TJSF

Supports
Benfica
When do United keep buying in the Primeira Liga? The gap is massive. Lindelof is Roma or Sevilla level. Almost good enough to play at the top.

izec

He looks like a midfielder playing as a CB without the qualities of a midfielder. Jose and his CBs. Bailly, Lindelöf and his interest in Maguire, and then someone should tell me Jose has an eye for a CB. Not here

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Would be if that's what actually happened.

But that's not how football works. Young let's his man run and Lindelof shuffles over to cover that run. AWB tucks in and we had adequate cover. As much as it might pain you and others to admit it, that goal is all on AWB, no one else.
That's very poor excuse. Harry Wilson was running into offside & beside Harry was off the mark of Lindelof's, Lindelof wasn't even staying tight to him as well so it doesn't take away with the fact that he was ball watching and not aware where his man was.

Football is about communication, if Lindelof decides to go on other man then he needs to let his team mate know that someone else will need to mark his man instead. At the end of the day Lindelof & AWB were really poor in handling the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.