Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMike

I think the interesting thing is which one does EtH go for?

Either a young-ish RCB to give rest to and learn from Varane or a left-footed LCB to cover for Martínez. I know we have Shaw but if he replaces Licha when needed, our rotation LBs are not that good.
I would certinaly go for left footed CB precisely for the reason you mentioned. Drop off at LB too big whenShaw is not there. I reckon Lindelof is a good deputy for Varane.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I would certinaly go for left footed CB precisely for the reason you mentioned. Drop off at LB too big whenShaw is not there. I reckon Lindelof is a good deputy for Varane.
He is but at the same time we should be looking for Varane's successor as there is a good chance he'll play even less next season due to fitness issues. Granted he can rest during international breaks now but it's still a worry.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
This thread sometimes can be resume on criticalanalysis going after Lindelof time and again and A-man "subtly" digging on Licha everytime he can

OrcaFat

I think the interesting thing is which one does EtH go for?

Either a young-ish RCB to give rest to and learn from Varane or a left-footed LCB to cover for Martínez. I know we have Shaw but if he replaces Licha when needed, our rotation LBs are not that good.
Yeah absolutely. This is going to be a fascinating window and no doubt the signings will come down to who’s available and in budget. I think we’ll go for a top quality proven CB if there’s one to be had. Varane is out too often for comfort.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes but last time Varane/Martinez started against City we conceded 6 goals so there is no guarantee we would have done better with Martinez.
In our last EL final we conceded 1 goal in 120 min can’t really blame defence for that defeat.
Oh I can because they ultimately didn’t do their job when needed. The ball came from far out, it was a shambles

the fact that we couldnt Score either is a whole different moan

Irwin99

Thought he played pretty well overall. If he does leave he'd do well in Italy or Spain and I hope we get a decent fee.

Rossa

How, how, how does an experienced defender head that ball into a dangerous area for City's first goal? I mean, it's not even schoolboy error. How did that happen? It being the worst header in the history of the world probably doesn't help either. He had a decent run, but never more than an OK back-up.

Donut

A player of his quality would probably cost us 40 million. If we can keep him around as backup we should.

A-man

This thread sometimes can be resume on criticalanalysis going after Lindelof time and again and A-man "subtly" digging on Licha everytime he can
It sure what I did to insult you or your beloved Licha but I’m sure he appreciates you looking after him.

OrcaFat

Come on what? It’s simply not true that we can’t defend unless Varane -Martinez play. Most of our clean sheets come with other CB pairs.
Well okay, since you’re asking me: I said we are light if the first choice pair are absent. That doesn’t mean we can’t defend it means we are more vulnerable especially against the better attacks. If you’re looking at top-line data and concluding there’s no problem, it’s another example of data not telling the whole story.

Our best defenders are Varane and Martinez. If you don’t agree with that, I don’t know what to say.

Apart from Shaw (a LB who we need at LB) we have Maguire and Lindelof as competition (but they are not really competing for places they are just cover). The weight of evidence that those two guys are not up to it (over several years of watching them get turned, bullied, out-paced, and outwitted) is crushing, is it not? You’ve seen this with your own eyes, I’m sure.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
It sure what I did to insult you or your beloved Licha but I’m sure he appreciates you looking after him.
Nobody talked about insults, nor Licha, nor Lindelof, both are doing more than fine themselves with their respective current level...it's more about you two going after each other constantly with their preferred players.

PD: really the dig of "the looking after" with your relentless crusade? living in a house full of broken mirrors it seems.

A-man

Well okay, since you’re asking me: I said we are light if the first choice pair are absent. That doesn’t mean we can’t defend it means we are more vulnerable especially against the better attacks. If you’re looking at top-line data and concluding there’s no problem, it’s another example of data not telling the whole story.

Our best defenders are Varane and Martinez. If you don’t agree with that, I don’t know what to say.

Apart from Shaw (a LB who we need at LB) we have Maguire and Lindelof as competition (but they are not really competing for places they are just cover). The weight of evidence that those two guys are not up to it (over several years of watching them get turned, bullied, out-paced, and outwitted) is crushing, is it not? You’ve seen this with your own eyes, I’m sure.
Football is a lot of emotions and so on, so no problems with opinions based what you’ve seen “with your own eyes”. But back to facts and purely on the results, it looks we are doing just fine even if Varane -Martinez arent playing.
Varane - Martinez stats from PL 2022/23:

6 clean sheets out of our total 17.
7 wins, 5 draws and 4 losses = 26 points of our total 75.

I just don’t see how you can say the data is telling another story. They have been good defenders just not very significant as a pair.

fergiethegoat

One of the most passive defenders I've ever seen play for us. That pathetic attempt of a header sums him up perfectly. Weak and cowardice

OrcaFat

Football is a lot of emotions and so on, so no problems with opinions based what you’ve seen “with your own eyes”. But back to facts and purely on the results, it looks we are doing just fine even if Varane -Martinez arent playing.
Varane - Martinez stats from PL 2022/23:

6 clean sheets out of our total 17.
7 wins, 5 draws and 4 losses = 26 points of our total 75.

I just don’t see how you can say the data is telling another story. They have been good defenders just not very significant as a pair.
The data isn’t telling another story but it’s not telling the whole story.

We can’t, for example, say we scored goals with Weghorst in the team and therefore we don’t need a striker. He looks a bit shit but the facts say we scored goals; we have to look beyond that.

I predict we will sign a CB.

jesperjaap

Never been a fan but to be fair the last couple of months he has done pretty well.

But those frist 12seconds, again for a pretty big centre back he smply wasnt assertive enough. Let the ballbounce and was weak in the challenge, headed it almsot as an assist. There will always be moments like this with him and hs passing also inst that great either, not Maguire slow but too slow. He sometimes drives out well with the ball but it shows his limitations again as he never seems to know what to do with it.

We should be lookign for someone to challeng eVarane, isnt gettiing younger and has had a lot of little spells out with injury and at times takes a few games when back to get into gear.

Not saying Lindelof directly costs us points, but forgetting the alst couple of months there have been plenty of times over the last couple of years and this year foudn myself thinking "if Bailly was here he stops that cross, wins that header, wins that challenge" and some of these have been goals and game changing moments, liek yesterday after 12seconds.

A signing liek Jae brings us much further on in those 10% of games Varane misses, if he doesnt manage to replace him in the frist eleven even.

Keep hearig rumours Lindelof wants to go if he isnt first choice. I have liked his recent stepping up on the pitch vocally and showign a bit of leadership and more aggresion, but there is no way he should have been previously or is in the future the first chocie centre back here, for me I still dont think he is an able second choice either with the number of games a second choice may be needed here

Irwin99

Weird how the MEN in our player ratings reported that Haaland seemed to have a really good game against him and that Lindelof struggled when, to my eyes, I thought Varane and Lindelof did an absolutely fine job on Haaland.

Hope we get at least 25-30 million for him if he does leave in the summer. I will be annoyed if it's less than that as someone is getting a decent defender probably better suited to Italian or Spanish football.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
One of the most passive defenders I've ever seen play for us. That pathetic attempt of a header sums him up perfectly. Weak and cowardice
I thought the same up to recently, but these last few matches he has certainly become more decisive, and tougher.
Lindelof won the header, but it hit Haaland's head and fortunately for city it dropped straight to Gundogan. If you're looking for a scapegoat, then blame Eriksen for not going with his man, if he was marking Gundogan, he wouldn't have got the shot away.

A-man

The data isn’t telling another story but it’s not telling the whole story.

We can’t, for example, say we scored goals with Weghorst in the team and therefore we don’t need a striker. He looks a bit shit but the facts say we scored goals; we have to look beyond that.

I predict we will sign a CB.
I just find it wrong to claim that we are thin when any of our first CB isn’t playing. We wouldn’t have finished third if that was true as the first CB pair only played a minority of the games together.
We have 22 PL with other CB pairs and 11 clean sheets in those games.
Of course our results aren’t telling everything, but they are telling us we are doing more than fine when our bench players play. Opposite of thin imo.

OrcaFat

I just find it wrong to claim that we are thin when any of our first CB isn’t playing. We wouldn’t have finished third if that was true as the first CB pair only played a minority of the games together.
We have 22 PL with other CB pairs and 11 clean sheets in those games.
Of course our results aren’t telling everything, but they are telling us we are doing more than fine when our bench players play. Opposite of thin imo.
It could be that EtH agrees with you. But I doubt it and I am sure he relies on watching the players more than stats.

If we sign a CB that will be a clue as to what EtH thinks about our CBs. I predict we will sign a quality CB who will properly compete for a starting place; if I’m wrong I’ll say ten Hail Marys, or something.

Halftrack

Guarantee that if Lindelöf went to challenge de Bruyne for the ball and lost the header, the usual suspects would be on him for over-committing and leaving Varane/de Gea exposed.
How, how, how does an experienced defender head that ball into a dangerous area for City's first goal? I mean, it's not even schoolboy error. How did that happen? It being the worst header in the history of the world probably doesn't help either. He had a decent run, but never more than an OK back-up.
It took a deflection off de Bruyne, it's not like he steered it there.

golden_blunder

Staff
Guarantee that if Lindelöf went to challenge de Bruyne for the ball and lost the header, the usual suspects would be on him for over-committing and leaving Varane/de Gea exposed.

The mistake for me is letting the ball bounce first. It’s one of the basics you’re told as a kid, don’t let the ball bounce. But on that particular goal I also blame the midfielders for not tracking Gundogan

Rossa

It was a weak as hell header, and that is mostly down to him letting it bounce in the first place. It was downright terrible defending. He did alright for the most part, but that was a blatant mistake by him, as it was for whoever was responsible for Gundogan, and I'm not convinced about DDG either.

Baneofthegame

He is but at the same time we should be looking for Varane's successor as there is a good chance he'll play even less next season due to fitness issues. Granted he can rest during international breaks now but it's still a worry.
We certainly should, but if our budget is limited Lindelof could probably do a job for one season.

A-man

It could be that EtH agrees with you. But I doubt it and I am sure he relies on watching the players more than stats.

If we sign a CB that will be a clue as to what EtH thinks about our CBs. I predict we will sign a quality CB who will properly compete for a starting place; if I’m wrong I’ll say ten Hail Marys, or something.
Ok maybe we don’t have the same definition of “thin” then, as it’d mean City had a thin midfield because Pep signed Phillips.
For me a thin squad means you can’t handle injuries without dropping a lot in quality.

I watched again and you’re right. Was more bad luck than a poor clearance.

Alfie092

Much rather get rid of Lindelöf than Maguire. Cowardly for the goal in the final allowing the ball to bounce. Maguire heads that ball away to the other side of the pitch!

If we are not signing another CB than I would rather see Maguire and Varane as our CB pairing next season. I like defenders who can head the ball effectively!

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Good season and finally being judged to the right expectations.
Players will always suffer if unrealistic expectations are set on them,. Football is a game of forcing mistake and the main target for this will always be defensive guys. He is of luck this season because team has finally set up in way that reduces the impact of individual mistakes.
Good on him, whether he stays or go. He will be going into next season with a better reputation.

OrcaFat

Ok maybe we don’t have the same definition of “thin” then, as it’d mean City had a thin midfield because Pep signed Phillips.
For me a thin squad means you can’t handle injuries without dropping a lot in quality.

I watched again and you’re right. Was more bad luck than a poor clearance.
Yeah okay. I think we do drop in quality so we disagree about that as well. It’s cool.

golden_blunder

Staff
Can we be sure Victor didn't pray for a wonder goal from Gundogan the night before the game? Frankly I wouldn't put it past him, the awful awful man.
Well I have it on good authority..no higher authority you could say.. that prayer did happen :eek:

OrcaFat

Much rather get rid of Lindelöf than Maguire. Cowardly for the goal in the final allowing the ball to bounce. Maguire heads that ball away to the other side of the pitch!

If we are not signing another CB than I would rather see Maguire and Varane as our CB pairing next season. I like defenders who can head the ball effectively!
Yeah, I agree but I think they are both a bit below what we need because of Varane being a little fragile, injury-wise, we need another good CB to compete and ensure that, between them, there is always quality cover. It’s such an important part of the team. Maguire has his limitations but I prefer him to Lindelof.

Halftrack

Wait, are you saying you prefer Maguire to Martinez? Because that's literal insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.