Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalanalysis

It speaks volumes when his only selling point is that he can fit. Which is clearly disingenuous by the way as he’s carrying a back injury which made the Swedish coach drop him from the squad this summer. Back injuries can go at any time
As usual the experts on Lindelof praising his ability to be available, whilst completely ignoring all the other consistent and constructive criticism, which basically points to the fact he is a terribly weak defender.

Shaw being on his side completely exposes the passivity of his game.

A-man

It speaks volumes when his only selling point is that he can fit. Which is clearly disingenuous by the way as he’s carrying a back injury which made the Swedish coach drop him from the squad this summer. Back injuries can go at any time
Wouldn’t say it’s his only selling point even though he sticks out in that sense compared to the crippled lot of centre backs at United.
Better one available decent CB than one 4xCL winner who is never available.

My point was that you and some of the other haters might be disappointed. ETH has chosen to start Lindeof in every pre season game so far which to me means he is part of the plan and there to fight for a spot.

At the start of last season we won 4 of our first 5 league games, Lindelof only played in one of those 4 victories (Leeds), then he came back into the team.........

I just though I'd check the PL stats for last season. In defence only Maguire played more minutes
Tackles by defenders all season:
Dalot 55, AWB 49, Telles 48, Maguire 34, Varane 28, Shaw 21, Lindelof 16. Sixteen tackles in a whole season! - That. is. a. disgrace.
Even Elanga had 26.

Someone take him away.
You seriously believe number of tackles equals defensive performance? Van Dijk also had 16 tackles but in more games, is he an even worse disgrace?

Olecurls99

Wouldn’t say it’s his only selling point even though he sticks out in that sense compared to the crippled lot of centre backs at United.

My point was that you and some of the other haters might be disappointed. ETH has chosen to start Lindeof in every pre season game so far which to me means he is part of the plan and there to fight for a spot.

You seriously believe number of tackles equals defensive performance? Van Dijk also had 16 tackles but in more games, is he an even worse disgrace?
Disgraceful :lol: Now get that Van Dijk out of my face.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

VVD's team did not concede 57 league goals, what is it about Lindelof that you're so in love with, he is absolutely useless as a defender, why can't you see it, five years of clear evidence. Running away from the opposing player and the ball is not defensive either. Positioning, awareness, heading ability none of which Lindelof possesses also are defensive qualities. Is it the way he flicks his hair out of his eyes, because there is no defender in that person.

Last edited:

Mmm-Qatarian

I'm not quite as down on Lindelof as some on here are. I actually think he's a really good reactive defender. He times tackles and blocks well, he's good at managing opposition runs in behind, and he's adept at carrying the ball under pressure from opponents in addition to be a pretty fantastic long-range passer.

The issue, which many have already picked up on, is that he is absolutely hopeless when he needs to defend proactively. He has an awful tendency to step in front of the defensive line but not actually do anything to make it difficult for the man on the ball to complete a pass or intercept the pass when it has been played, which then leaves gaps in behind. Furthermore, he doesn't assert himself nearly enough in duels. It's not inherently bad for a centre half to jockey the attacker rather than immediately lunging for a tackle, but Lindelof tends to fail to close off the attackers passing/shooting option even when the defence has regrouped.

A lot of people last season thought it was Maguire who would struggle to adapt to Erik ten Hag's defensive system but I actually think that Lindelof's weakness as a proactive defender will probably hamper him even more, since it is the quick restriction of space which comes with proactive defending that forms a key facet of Ten Hag's teams in the transition and defensive phases.

Ekeke

I'm not quite as down on Lindelof as some on here are. I actually think he's a really good reactive defender. He times tackles and blocks well, he's good at managing opposition runs in behind, and he's adept at carrying the ball under pressure from opponents in addition to be a pretty fantastic long-range passer.

The issue, which many have already picked up on, is that he is absolutely hopeless when he needs to defend proactively. He has an awful tendency to step in front of the defensive line but not actually do anything to make it difficult for the man on the ball to complete a pass or intercept the pass when it has been played, which then leaves gaps in behind. Furthermore, he doesn't assert himself nearly enough in duels. It's not inherently bad for a centre half to jockey the attacker rather than immediately lunging for a tackle, but Lindelof tends to fail to close off the attackers passing/shooting option even when the defence has regrouped.

A lot of people last season thought it was Maguire who would struggle to adapt to Erik ten Hag's defensive system but I actually think that Lindelof's weakness as a proactive defender will probably hamper him even more, since it is the quick restriction of space which comes with proactive defending that forms a key facet of Ten Hag's teams in the transition and defensive phases.
His first instinct is to back away, give up ground and look for any danger from someone making a run in behind the defence instead of confronting an attacker with the ball. So he's not good at timing blocks and tackles, he's good at only being in the situation to block or tackle when the numbers greatly favour him. Even when forced into it by being the last man there are plenty of examples of him not doing enough to block the opponent's shot

Because he's constantly playing with the idea that he can back off and someone else will confront the danger, but he'll track someone making a run behind for a pass he'll cope with those passes quite well. Simply because he's hoping they do that and positioning himself to be ready for that. The problem is the high amount of times that taking on the defender is the best option. There he isnt adequate.

criticalanalysis

His first instinct is to back away, give up ground and look for any danger from someone making a run in behind the defence instead of confronting an attacker with the ball. So he's not good at timing blocks and tackles, he's good at only being in the situation to block or tackle when the numbers greatly favour him. Even when forced into it by being the last man there are plenty of examples of him not doing enough to block the opponent's shot

Because he's constantly playing with the idea that he can back off and someone else will confront the danger, but he'll track someone making a run behind for a pass he'll cope with those passes quite well. Simply because he's hoping they do that and positioning himself to be ready for that. The problem is the high amount of times that taking on the defender is the best option. There he isnt adequate.
Preach.

Bobski

Much better with his aggression today, was looking to be proactive and engage attackers early.

A-man

Often high up and winning back the ball, also good defensively. Would like to see more progressive play and more passes through the line, but it’s obvious some of that is sacrificed when moving him to the left. Wouldn’t be surprised if he is starting our first PL match together with Maguire, despite what all the experts here say.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Often high up and winning back the ball, also good defensively. Would like to see more progressive play and more passes through the line, but it’s obvious some of that is sacrificed when moving him to the left. Wouldn’t be surprised if he is starting our first PL match together with Maguire, despite what all the experts here say.
If it’s starting as Maguire-Lindelof it’s surely only because of fitness. Martinez knows ETHs system inside out so you’d imagine that puts him in a position where ETH will play him to get up to speed asap. I expect he will play tomorrow with Bailly

A-man

If it’s starting as Maguire-Lindelof it’s surely only because of fitness. Martinez knows ETHs system inside out so you’d imagine that puts him in a position where ETH will play him to get up to speed asap. I expect he will play tomorrow with Bailly
We don’t know for sure who will be in ETH ‘s starting xi, but it looks like Maguire and Lindelof to me. Maybe Martinez has too poor fitness to start a PL match I don’t know. Yes he knows ETH system, but he doesn’t know how United play. He hasn’t played a single minute together with any future CB partner, actually not together with any other starting xi player. For me that’s the main reason why I don’t think he’ll start. But I might be wrong and all the forum experts who said Martinez +1 are right and he’ll start against Brighton, we’ll see.

criticalanalysis

I thought the way he didn't tackle Morata and collapsed to the floor for AM's goal was pure .......
0-1
Joao Felix

Gets on the wrong side for no reason, doesn't get a touch on the ball, lets Morata turn and pass, then falls on the floor taking himself out of the play :lol: Imagine if Maguire had done that.

There was another occasion on the half way line, where he got caught in no man's land, lost the ball and man with Maguire saving his ass again.

His loyalists claims anyone who criticises him is a hater and tries to make a point that him starting the first league game is some indication of his quality or that ETH values him is some next level delusion. McTominay and Elanga is likely to start for us next week, it doesn't say jack.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The only reason he will start is fitness, Martinez didn't play a single minute in preseason, not because Lindelof is some quality player.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I have a feeling we might see him at RB this season instead of Wan Bissaka in some games.

izec

Pretty confident we wont see him much this season if everyone stays more or less fit. Unless ETH wants to be sacked as quickly as possible, but i assume this is not the case.

Bwuk

Chat on Twitter that Roma want him in addition to Bailly.

Roma doing us wonders if true.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Chat on Twitter that Roma want him in addition to Bailly.

Roma doing us wonders if true.
They won't pay up though will they? Another loan

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Didn't Mourinho come on tv and criticise Lindelov saying he was weak aerially and could be bullied?
His exact wording was that Lindelof is very, very good in some aspects of the game but he can be bullied in the 1v1s in the box and is not especially good in the air. And as he said that Lindelof missed a header on screen in the warm-up.

3vra

Right now Maguire, Martinez and Varane are our first choice defenders making Lindelof and Bailly 4th and 5th choice now.

Even though Bailly is much better defender, Lindelof's ability to stay fit is much more important when you are 2nd/3rd choice. But right now Bailly being 4th choice he would get time to recover and should be able to be ready once a month or less and I would trust him much more then Lindelof for those 1-2 matches if needed.

From the other clubs perspective buying Lindelof to be in the first XI would be much safer bet and also as a National team captain he would get us much more money then Bailly.

So why don't we sell Lindelof get 20-30 mil and spent it where we need it rather then getting 5 mil for Bailly and leave with a player that when fit is better player.

For me this is no brainer. If we are talking about 2nd, 3th choice Lindelof could won but as 4th, 5th Bailly eats him alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.