g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Victor Lindelöf

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueRed79

LindelOff it is then. Would prefer if we spent the money elsewhere. And those prices are crazy anyway. Would like to see Tim get more chances, and if that means not signing Lindelof, then fine by me.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Re: Moutinho, yeap, hence the question mark. Point still stand though, back in 2012 it was preposterous that the latter would cost nearly double. Plenty suspected some shenanigans going on in the background.

Perhaps @Arruda or @Sly can shed some lights on the matter.
Correct mate. I don't have much time to explain (back in the UK again, too much work) but it was an arrangement made by Porto and Mónaco to screw up Sporting because we were entitled a percentage of a future Moutinho sale. So basically they inflated James Rodríguez value and undervalued Moutinho. I think we got about 3 million euros. Much less of what Moutinho was worth. At that time Moutinho was a much better player and an integral figure at Porto. James Rodríguez was a first team player with some bench stints at important games.

JustinC00

Maybe he won't come in January but I am not buying Simon Stone's reason that Jose has passed on him because Jones and Rojo have been in good form.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
By the way, i'm not following the news about this since i'm not in Portugal, is this another Gaitan type transfer affair? I do rate Lindelof but not at these values.

Unlikely lad

By the way, i'm not following the news about this since i'm not in Portugal, is this another Gaitan type transfer affair? I do rate Lindelof but not at these values.
Seems like it, Mourino's comments seem a bit off now though.

The only way this would've made sense was if he genuinely was the best young CB around.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Correct mate. I don't have much time to explain (back in the UK again, too much work) but it was an arrangement made by Porto and Mónaco to screw up Sporting because we were entitled a percentage of a future Moutinho sale. So basically they inflated James Rodríguez value and undervalued Moutinho. I think we got about 3 million euros. Much less of what Moutinho was worth. At that time Moutinho was a much better player and an integral figure at Porto. James Rodríguez was a first team player with some bench stints at important games.
Moutinho was never going to go for more than 25m. Monaco wanted James a lot more than they wanted Moutinho mainly because the former was a marketable player with a great resale potential.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Moutinho was never going to go for more than 25m.
Yes he was. Don't think of Mónaco's Moutinho. At those times after impressing at Porto and our national team, the quoted values on our média ranged from 30 to 35 million. And even if he was valued at 25, the James Rodríguez value (with what showed at Porto) was a bit ridiculous. He wasn't even in Porto's top tive players which Moutinho easily was.

RedRover

Its most likely to do with the dispute between Benfica and his previous club. Probably a sell on fee in there, and if they give him a new contract they get to keep all the money themselves.
That won't work.

cyberman

Maybe he won't come in January but I am not buying Simon Stone's reason that Jose has passed on him because Jones and Rojo have been in good form.
Why not? Surely having two players proves themselves that they can adapt to Mourinhos instructions would be a good reason why spending 38m on another cb is a bad idea?

JPRouve

Scout
Yes he was. Don't think of Mónaco's Moutinho. At those times after impressing at Porto and our national team, the quoted values on our média ranged from 30 to 35 million. And even if he was valued at 25, the James Rodríguez value (with what showed at Porto) was a bit ridiculous. He wasn't even in Porto's top tive players which Moutinho easily was.
James was overpriced but it was mainly due to the fact that his clause was affordable for Monaco. The other club interested was Tottenham and the quoted price was 22m£, you are over valuing Moutinho, CMs aren't as expensive as attackers and he was in the last 2 years of his contract, iirc.

Last edited:

prtk0811

I think We'll sign him in next summer , he's too good a defensive talent to let go. Rojo and jones both deserved their chances now but rojo still will be sold in the summer.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
James was overpriced but it was mainly due to the fact that his clause was affordable for Monaco. The other club interested was Tottenham and the quoted price was 24m£, you are over valuing Moutinho, CMs aren't as expensive as attackers and he was in the last 2 years of his contract, iirc.
Like i already said i'm not Over valuing at all. It was the quoted values at the média. And let's get real, i think i can talk with more knowledge of cause in this affair. Porto are notoriously known as shrewd negotiatiors who drive a hard bargain. Everyone in Portugal knew that if it wasn't for the Sporting clause Porto would sell Moutinho for a higher value. That's also why Sporting complained to a football sport court about the way this deal was conducted and won.

Irrational.

Guess the rumours of him signing a new contract with Benfica including a £50 million release clause were true then.

Well guess that is off.

Jones injury incoming
Bailly outgoing early Jan to early Feb

Back to Darmian-Carrick-Blind-Young soon. Yeah.
Fixed. :)

Also don't be surprised if City swoop in. They're looking for a defender and have a history of nicking our transfer targets.

JPRouve

Scout
Like i already said i'm not Over valuing at all. It was the quoted values at the média. And let's get real, i think i can talk with more knowledge of cause in this affair. Porto are notoriously known as shrewd negotiatiors who drive a hard bargain. Everyone in Portugal knew that if it wasn't for the Sporting clause Porto would sell Moutinho for a higher value. That's also why Sporting complained to a football sport court about the way this deal was conducted and won.
And all the media I have seen talked about a price at around 25m for Monaco, PSG and Tottenham from 2012 to 2013.

Edit: I understand your suspicions about Porto but in that case Moutinho went for the correct amount, Modric has been sold for 33m£ and Kroos for about the same amount as Moutinho around the same time.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Good news. I know we're loaded, but that doesn't mean we should start throwing money around. €45M for this guy would have been ridiculous.
Agreed, that is damn near Gimenez or Laporte money, he better show it consistently for longer for those sums to be realistic.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
http://www.futebolportugal.com/moutinho-interessa-ao-monaco/

Just to QUOTE and translate the most important part "Pinto da Costa won't release the portuguese international for less than 35 million euros."

But let's end the off tópic here since this is the Lindelof thread
Do you think this could just be haggling over price? There was mention Benefica were trying to increase the release clause by having the player sign a new contract.

Also your thoughts about Semedo and what is happening ?

InfiniteBoredom

There is a difference between what the seller wants and what the buyer is willing to pay.
And the eventual buyer paid ridiculous respective prices for both players.

2012 Moutinho was a really hot commodity. Plenty of people on the Caf thought him to be a worthy solution to our midfield back then, Rodriguez was an up and comer but he didn't really burst into top echelon status until WC 2014. Monaco also threw money around left right and center at that time too.

JPRouve

Scout

2012 Moutinho was a really hot commodity. Plenty of people on the Caf thought him to be a worthy solution to our midfield back then, Rodriguez was an up and comer but he didn't really burst into top echelon status until WC 2014. Monaco also threw money around left right and center at that time too.
He was a hot commodity but keep in mind that it was 2012 not 2016 and that CMs weren't and still aren't extremely expensive.
And yes the buyer overpaid mainly because James was grossly overpriced not because of Moutinho's price who was around market price.

Loublaze

ATLien
I've never seen him play as far as I can remember, but for €60m I'd expect him to be our best CB.
This is the sad mental state of football these days. Mangala 42M, Stones 47.5M, Luiz 50M. They must all be better than 30M Bailly. Lindelof has only played 48 games in a top flight league. I know Bailly (who had a similar apperances record when signed) came in and immediately looked settled and very good but it may not be the case for every player.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Correct mate. Porto are experts in transfer dealings and they would obviously get what they wanted from the russian cash cow. JP Rouve is seeing this with his Mónaco form goggles but at 2013 Moutinho was rated as one of the best players in our league and James was just a project. All the Portuguese pundits said that the values should have been the other way around. I respect you as a poster JP Rouve (as you well know) but in this case you are wrong.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He was a hot commodity but keep in mind that it was 2012 not 2016 and that CMs weren't and still aren't extremely expensive.
And yes the buyer overpaid mainly because James was grossly overpriced not because of Moutinho's price who was around market price.
No. I already explained you. It was because of Moutinho's Sporting percentage clause. It has nothing to do with Market value. Stop insisting in this false claim. It was about letting a rival get as less value in their percentage that they could.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Would have liked us to sign him, but have no problem with this. No need to sign him if the greedy cnuts are asking for more money now, it makes even less sense.

United Pro

If we're not signing him in January, then the contract renewal talk makes sense. If we want him, then we should convince Lindelof not to sign a new contract and then pay out his 30m euro release that supposedly becomes available in the summer.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Do you think this could just be haggling over price? There was mention Benefica were trying to increase the release clause by having the player sign a new contract.

Also your thoughts about Semedo and what is happening ?
Like i said in previous posts, i'm not following this since i'm not in Portugal atm. Don't know if there is real interest or Gaitan type of affair.
I do rate both players, i think Nelson Semedo or Cancelo will be the future owners of the right side of defence of our national team. But the value is too high. Semedo was good last year till he got injured. This year he has been very good specially in the Champions league where it matters the most. But he hasn't played enough games at top level to warrant these absurd values.

crossy1686

career ending
Good news. I know we're loaded, but that doesn't mean we should start throwing money around. €45M for this guy would have been ridiculous.
But it won't be when he gets snapped up by Bayern or Real and looks worth every penny. In saying that though, I always feel that January additions are panic buys. Apart from Vidic and Evra, I can't think of any, off the top of my head, that have been any good.

If we're in for him in the summer again then Mourinho has seen something we can't afford to miss out on.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Like i said in previous posts, i'm not following this since i'm not in Portugal atm. Don't know if there is real interest or Gaitan type of affair.
I do rate both players, i think Nelson Semedo or Cancelo will be the future owners of the right side of defence of our national team. But the value is too high. Semedo was good last year till he got injured. This year he has been very good specially in the Champions league where it matters the most. But he hasn't played enough games at top level to warrant these absurd values.
cheers

InfiniteBoredom

Portuguese right backs are usually pretty expensive. Coentrao went for €30m all those years ago so if we end up paying a bit more for Semedo it'd probably end up as a coup if he comes good.

Also, we are already in the absurd zone. £30m 5 years ago were still a lot of money, nowadays it can't buy you a Troy Deeney.

Status
Not open for further replies.