Status
Not open for further replies.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
What's his playing style like?
Leonardo Bonucci. Obviously, Lindelöf is nowhere near the level of current Bonucci (who leads the best defense around at Juventus), and is a bit inconsistent given his age - so he has a lot of developing to do. But from a stylistic and functional perspective, he's a good match for the Italian - comfortable on the ball (not just pass accuracy stat but making them count), sees the field, good defensive mentality and leadership potential. Bear in mind that at Lindelöf's current age, Bonucci was shuttling back and forth on loan from Internazionale to Treviso and Pisa. Plus, he's also versatile like young Bonucci (who played DM and some wide defender before becoming full time sweeper/centerback). Dunno if Lindelöf if the right player for United at this moment in time especially when you consider the transition from Primeira Liga to United (ideally, we would sign an absolute defensive stalwart), but if José wants him - then you can rest assured he'll be an astute signing because Mourinho is a centerback whisperer and could really fast-track Lindelöf's growth.

Unlikely lad

Leonardo Bonucci. Obviously, Lindelöf is nowhere near the level of current Bonucci (who leads the best defense around at Juventus), and is a bit inconsistent given his age - so he has a lot of developing to do. But from a stylistic and functional perspective, he's a good match for the Italian - comfortable on the ball (not just pass accuracy stat but making them count), sees the field, good defensive mentality and leadership potential. Bear in mind that at Lindelöf's current age, Bonucci was shuttling back and forth on loan from Internazionale to Treviso and Pisa. Plus, he's also versatile like young Bonucci (who played DM and some wide defender before becoming full time sweeper/centerback). Dunno if Lindelöf if the right player for United at this moment in time especially when you consider the transition from Primeira Liga to United (ideally, we would sign an absolute defensive stalwart), but if José wants him - then you can rest assured he'll be an astute signing because Mourinho is a centerback whisperer and could really fast-track Lindelöf's growth.
This makes me sad that we're probably signing Keane instead. If he develops to be anything close to Bonucci's style and level, we really should be doing everything to get him. As for you not being sure if he's what we need right now, I felt the same about Bailly before this season, and he's now unquestionably our number 1 CB!

NoPace

If Lindelof has the highest upside, I hope he's the guy.

Assuming he's ready to go in September, Rojo's good form means we can probably afford to sign a CB who needs a few months or even a whole season before establishing himself as a first choice signing. Hell, even Blind-Bailly or whichever English CB is healthy for a while wouldn't necessarily kill us for a few months.

Unless Mourinho has set us up so defensively because he doesn't rate our CBs, our problem has been attacking, not defending. Another reason we need a CB who can really pass the ball.

Nick.

Apparently this guy is a real ball-playing centre-back. Might be just what we need. I wasn't keen on him before but I've since changed my mind. Only problem for me is that we can't drop Bailly because he's our best defender, and I also think Rojo played at a very high level this season and if it were up to me he'd be a first choice defender. I really think he's Champions League quality. Lindelof would probably be great in a 3/5 at the back system though, he's better in possession than either Bailly and Rojo judging from some of those highlights. Not afraid to bring the ball out from the back and distribute it to runners in the wide areas to get us in behind the defenders. He could be our David Luiz.

There was a tweet in the Twitter thread suggesting we are in pole position to land him. Unfortunately they quoted the price as around 60m Euros. Hopefully we can get him for cheaper than that.

Reactions: Sultan

redpatron

How about pass? Rather save some money and sign Keene than give rojo an extension if he proves he's fit. Last thing we want is a disgruntled rojo leaving to Barca in summer 2018.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Isn't Rojo injured for a long as Zlatan?

We need to overstock in defense anyway, to prepare for our annual defensive injury crisis.

Sign Lindelof AND Keane. Get rid of Smalling and Jones.

arthurka

Isn't Rojo injured for a long as Zlatan?

We need to overstock in defense anyway, to prepare for our annual defensive injury crisis.

Sign Lindelof AND Keane. Get rid of Smalling and Jones.
Or we need a overload because we tend to play 5-7 CB v the top 6 teams.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Standard question on how reliable are Record?

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
When we were constantly linked with Garay and Gaitan they made no sense as signings. Lindelof would actually make perfect sense.

prath92

If we get Keane and lindelof for 50m and get about 25m for Jones and Smalling that would be very good I feel

vodrake

Record were one of the papers who reported we signed gaitan or garay every transfer window for about 3 years straight

Nick.

If Michael Keane is a ball playing CB (haven't watched him much myself) then I'd want Keane. If he's not, I'd have zero problems paying this for Lindelöf. Think you guys may be underrating him. Mourinho has a track record of improving defenders.

Classical Mechanic

If Michael Keane is a ball playing CB (haven't watched him much myself) then I'd want Keane. If he's not, I'd have zero problems paying this for Lindelöf. Think you guys may be underrating him. Mourinho has a track record of improving defenders.
Keane is decent with the ball at his fee but his attributes make him perfect for Mourinho's system, he is the most aerially dominant CB in the PL. If we sign Lindelof I would guess that means Jones is done too.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Lindelof and Keane in - Hodor and Bran out?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
35m euros is a bit more respectable. Think he might take a bit of adjusting before we see the best.

davidmichael

I'd be happy with signing BOTH Keane and Lindelof if I'm honest then getting rid of Smalling and Jones. Keane, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Rojo and Blind is plenty of options and we wouldn't (hopefully) have to go through the annual centre back injury crisis.

Bwuk

What's 35m euros? 30m?

If we got Lindeloff I'd imagine we will actively be looking to sell Smalling or Jones, who'd maybe recoup a third of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.