Victor Mugabe Wanyama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Also... I remember Lass Diarra having a really good game against Barcelona in a similar way not that long ago. Few people wanted us to sign him.

And he made 16 passes with 69% accuracy. Thats not to say he wasnt brilliant, just some perspective so we arent going overboard. He made a lot of tackles, he took his goal well... But there would be very different demands at a top club than on Celtic. In a great defensive team performance players like this always look that much better, but if Celtic had 60% of the ball what would he have been like?
Individual passing stats are irrelevant on nights like that. He had nobody ahead of him to pass to. Almost every pass was a long ball for Miku or Samaras to chase down and hassle their cb's into mistakes (as Watt did with Mascherano) from a long, rather aimless ball.

Besides, he isn't a passing midfielder. He's a ball-winning midfielder, and a very good one.

Ekeke

Individual passing stats are irrelevant on nights like that. He had nobody ahead of him to pass to. Almost every pass was a long ball for Miku or Samaras to chase down and hassle their cb's into mistakes (as Watt did with Mascherano) from a long, rather aimless ball.

Besides, he isn't a passing midfielder. He's a ball-winning midfielder, and a very good one.
Wont be at a top team if thats the case.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Wont be at a top team if thats the case.
He isn't shit with the ball by any means, his technical game is improving all the time and he's getting in amongst the goals. It's just that he excels defensively.

Can't say I've ever watched Ramires and thought he's a great passer yet he's a vital part of Chelsea's midfield imo. Fletcher, Barry, Rodwell... there's plenty of average passers at top clubs :confused:

All I'm saying is, you can't seriously hold someone's passing stats against them in a match against Barcelona. It's illogical, to me.

He's already at a top team, it's just unfortunate that he's in an incredibly shit league.

Edit: Ki was like 4th or 5th choice midfielder and his contract had about a year left. Very different from Vic.

He'll be off to United in the summer I (and most Celtic fans) feel.

Baxter

A mobile ball winner who loves a tackle is the missing part of our jigsaw just now, in my opinion. I'd much rather get Wanyama that keep Carrick playing every game. As others have said, we taken punts on attacking player who are far less "proven" than Wanyama, who himself isn't, and I don't see any reason why we wouldn't gamble. For £10m or so we could do I lot worse. I'd certainly prefer him to M'Vila for example.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ester-United-keen-Celtics-Victor-Wanyama.html

Mail say Martin Ferguson was watching him again last night.

Was Ki really 4th or 5th choice? Whenever Aberdeen played Celtic he always started and he played 30 league games according to wiki.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
If the rumours are to be believed and we have been looking for a new centre back, maybe he could fit the bill. I've seen a few people who seem to be suggesting that's his best position, might make more sense than looking at him as a midfielder.

mo0

Jones and Smalling coming back, Wootton and Keane in reserve...why the "need" for a new CB?

don't buy it.

::sonny::

Because Wotton and Keane are not ready
Jones, Rio, Smalling, Vidic, Evans are injury-prone

lysglimt

Scout
The problem with a Ball-winning midfielder is that at a club like United - you can't really be a ball-winning midfielder. You have to be a brilliant passer of the ball first and a good tackler second.

I am not saying Wanyama isn't good enough ( I have seen him like 3 times - so in that respect I have no idea). But a midfielder who doesn't pass the ball extremely good would disrupt our attacking play - and I think we can rule out that Ferguson would sign such a player.

ciderman9000000

The problem with a Ball-winning midfielder is that at a club like United - you can't really be a ball-winning midfielder. You have to be a brilliant passer of the ball first and a good tackler second.

I am not saying Wanyama isn't good enough ( I have seen him like 3 times - so in that respect I have no idea). But a midfielder who doesn't pass the ball extremely good would disrupt our attacking play - and I think we can rule out that Ferguson would sign such a player.
Darren Fletcher isn't great at passing, yet he's had a great career with United; his ability to harry opponents and get about the pitch in the defensive phase being his foremost asset to the team.

There's definitely room at top level football for midfielders whose best strength is not passing the ball. Ramires of Chelsea, Alex Song and Javier Mascherano of Barcelona; formerly very successful at Arsenal and Liverpool; are all midfielders who aren't fantastic passers of the ball but add strength in other areas.

Forevergiggs

Darren has great passing statistics, doesn't he? He hit late eighties or early nineties most games, IIRC.

Edit: His passing stats for this season are 93.3% as per whoscored.

ciderman9000000

Darren has great passing statistics, doesn't he? He hit late eighties or early nineties most games, IIRC.
Because all he ever does is the single layoff. Good passing statistics doesn't make one of great passer of the ball. FFS, man, can't you see football outside of statistics? Darren Fletcher isn't known for his fantastic range of passing, you don't need a statistic to tell you that.

Forevergiggs

I was just mentioning that Fletch along with a "ball winning midfielder" has great passing numbers which isn't true for Wanyama. I am not taking about anyone's ability to complete Hollywood passed or whatever. Plus, Fletcher before his illness made some great contributions on the attacking side of the game, was a box to box rather than a mere "ball-winning" midfielder.

PS: you should may learn to tone down your attitude a little.

ciderman9000000

I was just mentioning that Fletch along with a "ball winning midfielder" has great passing numbers which isn't true for Wanyama. I am not taking about anyone's ability to complete Hollywood passed or whatever. Plus, Fletcher before his illness made some great contributions on the attacking side of the game was a box to box rather than a mere "ball-winning" midfielder.

PS: you should may learn to tone down your attitude a little.
Wanyama is also a good passer of the ball, and better than Fletcher on the attack. I not sure what you're on about really.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Darren Fletcher isn't great at passing, yet he's had a great career with United; his ability to harry opponents and get about the pitch in the defensive phase being his foremost asset to the team.

There's definitely room at top level football for midfielders whose best strength is not passing the ball. Ramires of Chelsea, Alex Song and Javier Mascherano of Barcelona; formerly very successful at Arsenal and Liverpool; are all midfielders who aren't fantastic passers of the ball but add strength in other areas.
I agree but you'd need a counter-attacking, rather than a possession-dominant model to get the best out of such a player. Song and Fletcher are better passers than Wanyama. Half the reason Mascherano was moved to centre-half was because his passing wasn't good enough for Barcelona's midfield.

Robbie Boy

Ramires is a bizarre example. He is a more than adequate passer, he has a passing success rate of nearly 90% this season.

Wanyama's passing could improve, but some people are overrating how bad it apparently is. His passing success rate in the CL is in the 70's; bear in mind that Celtic have been far from dominant in any of their matches and were generally playing long balls. I personally rate Wanyama highly, he has only turned 21 this year and this is his first year playing CL football. If he joined a big team, then he has plenty of time to work on his shortcomings. Already he has plenty of strengths to his game and his passing, etc, can be worked on. His inprovement since joining Celtic has been vast; which shows that is willing to work on his game and at a bigger club, surely he would keep on improving.

ciderman9000000

Ramires is a bizarre example. He is a more than adequate passer, he has a passing success rate of nearly 90% this season.
I'm not saying these players are poor passers of the ball, just that passing isn't their first and foremost attribute. Ramires isn't a brilliant passer of the ball; sats don't reveal anywhere near enough information for one to make a judgement on such things as they're wholly dependent on the teammates around the player in question, the style of play of the team and the type of pass commonly being expected. Watching football is a much more sturdy examination than simply, "Player A has a 90% pass success rate, Player B has an 80% pass success rate, so Player A is the better passer than Player B." Players like Fletcher and Ramires aren't known for their passing game despite what the statistics may tell you; both players are expected to win the ball and then play the simple layoff to a more capable attacking player, passes which are made much easier if you're surrounded by intelligent, actively mobile players who're looking for the ball, with Fletch and Ramires having just that luxury. The point to this is that, a player doesn't have to be a brilliant passer first and foremost for him to perform a valuable role in a top drawer football team, and there are many examples of players who aren't brilliant passers doing just that, players who have strong attributes other than passing which make them worthy of selection in some of the best midfields in the world of football.

Robbie Boy

I'm not saying these players are poor passers of the ball, just that passing isn't their first and foremost attribute. Ramires isn't a brilliant passer of the ball; sats don't reveal anywhere near enough information for one to make a judgement on such things as they're wholly dependent on the teammates around the player in question, the style of play of the team and the type of pass commonly being expected. Watching football is a much more sturdy examination than simply, "Player A has a 90% pass success rate, Player B has an 80% pass success rate, so Player A is the better passer than Player B." Players like Fletcher and Ramires aren't known for their passing game despite what the statistics may tell you; both players are expected to win the ball and then play the simple layoff to a more capable attacking player, passes which are made much easier if you're surrounded by intelligent, actively mobile players who're looking for the ball, with Fletch and Ramires having just that luxury. The point to this is that, a player doesn't have to be a brilliant passer first and foremost for him to perform a valuable role in a top drawer football team, and there are many examples of players who aren't brilliant passers doing just that, players who have strong attributes other than passing which make them worthy of selection in some of the best midfields in the world of football.
Yeah I agree with that. I'm not usually a massive fan of stats as they often don't paint a completely accurate portrait.

In regards to Ramires, though; he isn't the kind to go for sideways or back passes, he is very dynamic and often drives the team forward, so his passing accuracy is quite good in that respect. I by no means would class him as a 'good passer'; but he is certainly a decent one.

I see where you are coming from, though.

pablotatt

With regard to a combatitive, passer of the ball: that chap Fernandinho (in the very limited minutes that I saw of the Chelsea game) looked near perfection.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
January's aproaching and it's slowly becoming apparent on here. That being said I'd like it if we took a chance, seems like a young promissing player in the area we are in need of. Shouldn't be THAT expensive, and his attitude doesn't exactly hurt his chances.

Comsmit

Because all he ever does is the single layoff. Good passing statistics doesn't make one of great passer of the ball. FFS, man, can't you see football outside of statistics? Darren Fletcher isn't known for his fantastic range of passing, you don't need a statistic to tell you that.
Good passing stats don't give the full picture I agree, but they go a long way to explaining how accurate someone is in their distribution. The bolded part I don't agree with at all. I've seen Fletcher split a midfield plenty of times with a ball pinged nicely into feet. His passing if anything is underrated by certain fans and the media alike, who have tended to focus more on his "engine" and his ability to disrupt the opposition through harrying and ankle biting.

I think in the next couple of years we will see the conversion of Fletcher into more of a sitting midfielder, and with this his passing range should be highlighted and appreciated more.

ciderman9000000

January's aproaching and it's slowly becoming apparent on here. That being said I'd like it if we took a chance, seems like a young promissing player in the area we are in need of. Shouldn't be THAT expensive, and his attitude doesn't exactly hurt his chances.
It's a shame we didn't go for him in the summer tbh. He's received a lot more attention this season and will be more expensive and more difficult to acquire in regards to competition as a result.

Comsmit

Regarding Wanyama I don't feel he is quite the standard United require. He's good enough to play in England but I don't feel he will enhance the first team sufficiently enough. Personally Fellaini is far more suited to what is required, and a superior player into the bargain. He would be perfect for Manchester United.

Anna_Livia

A jumped up pantry bhoy, who never knew his place.
Right now I don't see Celtic selling him for less that £12m. If we're still in Europe (especially if we're still in the CL) after Xmas then the boy's going to get more top level experience and exposure. He's under contract till 2014 so there's no rush to get him off the books. Lennon was obviously being flippant when he quoted £25m as a price tag, but I *honestly* think he's got to be worth* around £15m as things currently stand.

I hope we resist offers in January and sell (if we're going to sell...) in the summer. He's cup tied for the CL anyway, and I'd like to see this team stick together for the season and try to continue our European run.

He has so many good attributes - strength, pace, touch, diligence. He's also a player whose development has been pronounced and self-evident. It sounds like a cliche, but you do genuinely see him get better week after week. He was sent off and yellow-carded in our early European matches this season, and looked rash in the tackle against savvy opponents. Since then, however, he's not put a foot wrong in Europe, and hasn't picked up another yellow despite playing against Barca twice and ceding loads of possession round the box. He has the potential to become a special player.

*"worth ", of course, being a fundamentally meaningless term. I think that's his probable market value given the type of player he is, the type of player he's typically compared to, his immense potential and the various deep-pocketed clubs that are rumoured to be interested in him. Certainly, bidding won't start south of £10m (which I think we might have turned down for him in summer, if rumours are true, from QPR) and the games against Barca have probably already added a couple of million to his price.

Robbie Boy

Regarding Wanyama I don't feel he is quite the standard United require. He's good enough to play in England but I don't feel he will enhance the first team sufficiently enough. Personally Fellaini is far more suited to what is required, and a superior player into the bargain. He would be perfect for Manchester United.
He may not yet be of that standard but if he keeps progressing at the level he is; then he could one day be a very good player for a big team. Having watched him numerous times since he joined Celtic; his progress has been very impressive, given that he is only 21, he could well progress much further. Yaya Toure was playing in Ukraine at 21.

padzilla

Hipster
Yes because the last midfielder from Celtic, who impressed in Europe, that we signed worked out so well didn't it? Cough, cough Liam Miller.

ciderman9000000

Good passing stats don't give the full picture I agree, but they go a long way to explaining how accurate someone is in their distribution. The bolded part I don't agree with at all. I've seen Fletcher split a midfield plenty of times with a ball pinged nicely into feet. His passing if anything is underrated by certain fans and the media alike, who have tended to focus more on his "engine" and his ability to disrupt the opposition through harrying and ankle biting.

I think in the next couple of years we will see the conversion of Fletcher into more of a sitting midfielder, and with this his passing range should be highlighted and appreciated more.
You're right, it was an exaggeration, of course that's not all he does. I'm not trying to understate the importance of distribution, but, for me, being a good distributer of the ball doesn't necessarily require one to be a brilliant passer.

In regards to passing stats and why they're not an accurate description of one's passing ability, you only have to look as far as an attacking player's stats in comparison to those of a defender. Wayne Rooney is undoubtedly a far better passer of the ball than Rio Ferdinand is, for example, yet Rio this season has a 95.3% pass completion rate compared to Wayne's 85.4%. It should be pretty easy for anyone whose knowledge of football goes beyond raw statistics to figure out why this is, so I needn't have to explain; suffice to say this is all the evidence you need to rule out ever judging or comparing players based solely on their passing accuracy statistic.

Ekeke

All footballers are good passers. Wanyama is a good passer.

Are they 'brilliant' passers of the ball? No, but that's not their foremost strength so it doesn't matter.
Are you suggesting Wanyama is as good a passer as Fletcher? Because if so he sounds good.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Obligatory Youtube Video:

Seriously in that video, it looks like he has the passing ability of Michael Carrick. I don't know where's all this passing technique talk is coming from seeing as he would be a defensive minded midfielder who would need to play it simple (short/sideways/backwards/5yards) to the more creative ones.

Ekeke

With regard to a combatitive, passer of the ball: that chap Fernandinho (in the very limited minutes that I saw of the Chelsea game) looked near perfection.
I remember posting about him in a thread about underrated players in europe or something. I watched him play a couple of games in the europa league against premier league oppoents and he did really well and was player of the year over there. Then he spent like a year out of the game with injury, so its good to hear he's back. I was always more impressed with his passing than his defensive work and he's scored some real screamers including from freekicks as well.

Ekeke

Obligatory Youtube Video:

Seriously in that video, it looks like he has the passing ability of Michael Carrick. I don't know where's all this passing technique talk is coming from seeing as he would be a defensive minded midfielder who would need to play it simple (short/sideways/backwards/5yards) to the more creative ones.
I dont think anyone is talking about technique. I think if you read back I was the one to bring up the passing and what I said is that players like this always look better in games where his team dont have a lot of the ball and he isnt expected to do an awful lot with it and that 16 or 17 passes is a lot less than he would have to make at a top club and especially ours.

If he makes another 40 passes chances are he's going to cock up a fair bit more and not look as good on your youtube video. That doesnt mean he lacks passing technique or something, just that he still has a lot to prove in that area before a top club wants to pay £15 million or whatever figure was talked about earlier in the thread. If he can do that and play 50 passes in a team that has the ball a lot more then great. That would still be half a Carrick though

Ekeke

You're right, it was an exaggeration, of course that's not all he does. I'm not trying to understate the importance of distribution, but, for me, being a good distributer of the ball doesn't necessarily require one to be a brilliant passer.

In regards to passing stats and why they're not an accurate description of one's passing ability, you only have to look as far as an attacking player's stats in comparison to those of a defender. Wayne Rooney is undoubtedly a far better passer of the ball than Rio Ferdinand is, for example, yet Rio this season has a 95.3% pass completion rate compared to Wayne's 85.4%. It should be pretty easy for anyone whose knowledge of football goes beyond raw statistics to figure out why this is, so I needn't have to explain; suffice to say this is all the evidence you need to rule out ever judging or comparing players based solely on their passing accuracy statistic.
This is why you shouldnt be comparing a defenders passing stats to someone playing in the hole. But if you insist on doing so, look at the right passing stats. Look at key passes, assists, crosses, accurate long balls, etc. They're all out there. And once you've looked at those you'll see the key difference between Ferdinand and Rooney. Or a Gareth Barry and Rooney.

Ekeke

Yes because that bears tremendous relevane in regards to Wanyama.
It does actually. The league Miller was playing in was more cometative than it is now and it was a huge step up to the premier league then, its an even greater one now.

032Devil

Jones and Smalling coming back, Wootton and Keane in reserve...why the "need" for a new CB?

don't buy it.
The difference could be between decent home-grown players yet to establish themselves (if they ever do), and proven quality at value-for-money that SAF has been scouring the world of football for.

Robbie Boy

It does actually. The league Miller was playing in was more cometative than it is now and it was a huge step up to the premier league then, its an even greater one now.
Still bears no relevance as Wanyama is mainly being judged off of his European form, as plenty do not watch the SPL.

Anyway it is bizarre logic. We signed Rio, Cantona and Smith from Leeds. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.