Victor Mugabe Wanyama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
At least this means that Kenya, who can't even qualify for the ACON, are still a 'powerhouse'.

So they've got that; that's safe.

The Neviller

Agree would improve the squad as cover for Carrick but not the starting 11 or a midfield of Cleverley and Anderson. Understudy to Carrick possibly but think we should be aiming higher and looking for a player to play along side Carrick and let Cleverley or Anderson come in and partner them when Carrick is not picked. So if we bought a first 11 and also him as a potential I'd be happy as he is a very decent player a bit like Tiote of Newcastle but less imposing but better on the ball also younger and imo more potential to really improve.
Less imposing than Tiote? Wanyama is a fecking beast, he'd eat and shit Tiote.

Shimo

What I find interesting is that Fergie has not taken a punt on any young up and coming CM over the last few years. He's taken chances on strikers, wingers, defenders and keepers but, CM - he's just not done it.

I'd love for him to take a chance on Wanyama, (granted Wanyama because I grew up in Kenya). Not seen enough of him but, from all the posts/reports seems like would give us a different option at least in the near term for some games plus if he does develop further, could be a very good long term player given his age.

muller

What I find interesting is that Fergie has not taken a punt on any young up and coming CM over the last few years. He's taken chances on strikers, wingers, defenders and keepers but, CM - he's just not done it.

I'd love for him to take a chance on Wanyama, (granted Wanyama because I grew up in Kenya). Not seen enough of him but, from all the posts/reports seems like would give us a different option at least in the near term for some games plus if he does develop further, could be a very good long term player given his age.
I was born in Kenya... That's 98% of the reason I want us to sign him..

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Anderson? Powell? Cleverley through the youth ranks?

Brightonian

Would people here rather we sign Wanyama than Diame?
If we had to have one, I'd take Wanyama. Diame's been around for long enough and is old enough that we know his level, and the purple patch he's in at the moment is probably around the upper limit for him.

Wanyama's playing even better than Diame, and has notably stood out against some top European teams recently (although perhaps that's not fair, since Diame doesn't get the opportunity). Importantly, Wanyama has better technical ability than Diame - his passing, in particular, is very good indeed. And he's four years younger, so he's got more room for improvement than the Senegalese.

The Neviller

Why did you put his nationality in there at the end? That's something newspapers do to make it sound like they know what they're talking about. You typed more letters to show you knew where he was from than you would've done if you'd typed out his name.

Brightonian

Why did you put his nationality in there at the end? That's something newspapers do to make it sound like they know what they're talking about. You typed more letters to show you knew where he was from than you would've done if you'd typed out his name.
Well, I didn't give it as much thought as you have. I guess I instinctively do it because repeating someone's name several times in the same sentence is bad writing, and sounds awkward. That's why, as you point out, the 'professional' (and I use that term in it's loosest sense) writers for the papers do it too.

Ronaldo has told Messi to feck off. The Portuguese is upset because his rival for the Golden Boot is outscoring him.
...sounds more natural than:

Ronaldo has told Messi to feck off. Ronaldo is upset because Messi is outscoring him.

Brightonian

He would have sufficed.
'And he's four years younger, so he's got more room for improvement than him.'

Yep, that makes perfect sense.

Seriously, do you think before posting this crap?

Sorry LawCharltonBest, I promise this is as bizarre for me as it is for you. but I'm not sure why TheNeviller suddenly has this huge problem with a perfectly normal, well-written sentence.

The Neviller

'And he's four years younger, so he's got more room for improvement than him.'

Yep, that makes perfect sense.

Seriously, do you think before posting this crap?

Sorry LawCharltonBest, I promise this is as bizarre for me as it is for you. but I'm not sure why TheNeviller suddenly has this huge problem with a perfectly normal, well-written sentence.
You don't need to stick he in everywhere for feck sake. And the he was referring to the Ronaldo example.

Brightonian

You don't need to stick he in everywhere for feck sake. And the he was referring to the Ronaldo example.
I didn't 'stick he in everywhere', I replaced 'the Senegalese' with 'him'. The others were already there, and that's why you wouldn't use 'him' there, because the sentence would lose all comprehensibility.

The Ronaldo example:

'Ronaldo has told Messi to feck off. He is upset because he is outscoring him.'

...doesn't work very well, it's not clear who each 'he' is. And

'Ronaldo has told Messi to feck off. He is upset because Messi is outscoring him.'

...is only slightly less clunky. And that's a less extreme example than the actual post, where I had to use their names three or four times in a couple of sentences.

I'm honestly not sure what's got so up your nose about a normal sentence, but this has now got very weird. So I'm backing carefully out of the door of this thread. Hopefully in your head at least you'll understand that calling him 'the Senegalese' was a perfectly reasonable thing to do, and that I did it, without thinking, for the same reason that 'the newspapers' (and indeed plenty of other posters here, almost definitely including yourself) do it - because it makes the writing flow better.

:nervous:

The Neviller

Jesus, I wasn't being that serious, I just found it kind of funny. Calm down Brightonian.

Doesn't work with your name. The Neviller told Brightonian to calm down, as he felt the brightonian was getting a bit worked up.

Brightonian

Jesus, I wasn't being that serious, I just found it kind of funny. Calm down Brightonian.

Doesn't work with your name. The Neviller told Brightonian to calm down, as he felt the brightonian was getting a bit worked up.
I'm calm, just a bit bemused. Anyway, glad you've got your head around it. Now we can get back to the actual football (read: random speculation about a player who we are almost definitely not going to sign.)

Shimo

Anderson? Powell? Cleverley through the youth ranks?
Forgot Powell. Anderson was more than a few years. And my point was Fergie not going into the transfer market so Cleverley doesn't apply.

Consider the defenders wingers and forwards we've bought, some have been punts, some have been proven but when it comes to CM it's been very quiet.

I just think it strange in all the other departments he has done some business is all.

yamo123x

Forgot Powell. Anderson was more than a few years. And my point was Fergie not going into the transfer market so Cleverley doesn't apply.

Consider the defenders wingers and forwards we've bought, some have been punts, some have been proven but when it comes to CM it's been very quiet.

I just think it strange in all the other departments he has done some business is all.
Maybe previous buys such as kleberson, djemba twins and veron have put him off.

We do need a physical player to give us a different dimension. Would like Wanyama based on what I've seen but there is no link at all that we are in for him.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1317709?&cc=5739

Manchester United are set to make an £8 million bid for Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama before the January transfer window closes, ESPN understands.

Although Celtic are likely to reject the offer because of the player’s importance to them - he scored in the home Champions League win over Barcelona - it would send a statement of United’s intent to move to the front of the pack chasing his signature.

The Kenyan’s performances have attracted interest from a number of clubs in the last few months and, with several preparing to open talks with the Scottish Premier League champions and the player, it is believed United feel they must act now.

Sir Alex Ferguson took a look at Wanyama during Celtic's 4-0 win at home to Dundee United last week.

Nevertheless, it appears the player may only be a fall-back midfield option for United in the event that they fail to land their main target, PSV Eindhoven's Kevin Strootman.

The move for the highly-rated Dutch player is understood to be threatened, however, by United's unhappiness with his agent - and that could mean they are prepared to look elsewhere.

Robbie Boy

So we are essentially going to make a bid - that we know will be rejected - so we can move to the 'front of the pack'? What does that even mean? By the summer, there could be plenty more teams in for him. Why not actually make a bid that, you know, might be accepted. This story sounds, erm, believable.

Blair

So we are essentially going to make a bid - that we know will be rejected - so we can move to the 'front of the pack'? What does that even mean? By the summer, there could be plenty more teams in for him. Why not actually make a bid that, you know, might be accepted. This story sounds, erm, believable.
Exactly what I thought, what a shite article.

Rejected bids don't move you anywhere.

I reckon if we actually want Wanyama, then making a bid that is likely to be accepted would be the way forward. Something along the lines of £12m.

Forevergiggs

Soccernet has been trying hard to become the new Mail or Sun or whatever shite paper there is.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
£8m is a fair price and if we make that offer and it gets turned out, a possible advantage we might achieve could be that Wanyama will be aware that we want him and won't want to go anywhere else. Then again it still doesn't make sense, we could make a Summer move.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Well if we put in a bid that we know will get rejected I suppose the point of it is to see:

a) how much Celtic really want

b) let Wanyama directly know we want him and so have an indirect form of tapping up

Drainy

Starting the bidding at a higher price will likely mean we would end up paying more in the end.

It's a bit of a dick move to try and get a player to demand a move and pressure the sale, but business is business.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
We could be using the tactic used by Barcelona and Liverpool among other clubs i.e to bid low to make sure that player head is turned and he forces the move.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
We could be using the tactic used by Barcelona and Liverpool among other clubs i.e to bid low to make sure that player head is turned and he forces the move.
Yup. But "tactics" like this are invariably too subtle for certain people in the thread.

Anna_Livia

A jumped up pantry bhoy, who never knew his place.
£8m is a fair price and if we make that offer and it gets turned out, a possible advantage we might achieve could be that Wanyama will be aware that we want him and won't want to go anywhere else. Then again it still doesn't make sense, we could make a Summer move.
£8m is nowhere near a fair price. He's 21, has 2 years left on his contract, and is worth about £12m.

Status
Not open for further replies.