Victor Osimhen

Irrational.

I’m always weary of talents from Serie A. Not many success stories in the PL in the past 5 years. Plus the fees they end up demanding are nothing short of extortionate, until they sell to a Serie A rival for a fraction of the price.

RedDevilRoshi

Just wondering, I know we have had a long standing interest in the lad as tried to sign him in the summer but Ronaldo ended up staying and we spent majority of the budget on Antony. But have their been other clubs in the past as well that have tried to sign him? Just that he's not going to be short of interest in the summer so just wondering what teams are we going to have to compete with for his signature of this is indeed ETH's number 1 striker target?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I’m always weary of talents from Serie A. Not many success stories in the PL in the past 5 years. Plus the fees they end up demanding are nothing short of extortionate, until they sell to a Serie A rival for a fraction of the price.
Salah, Alisson, Jorginho, Cancelo, Romero, and Rudiger have all come from Serie A to the PL in the last few years and done well.

I don't think the hit/miss ratio is any worse than buying from any other league, really?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just wondering, I know we have had a long standing interest in the lad as tried to sign him in the summer but Ronaldo ended up staying and we spent majority of the budget on Antony. But have their been other clubs in the past as well that have tried to sign him? Just that he's not going to be short of interest in the summer so just wondering what teams are we going to have to compete with for his signature of this is indeed ETH's number 1 striker target?
There were reports of Arsenal and Newcastle having bids rejected this summer.

And I would probably take it as a given that if there's someone to buy, Chelsea might try to buy them. They could obviously use a CF as well.

Bondi77

Have you genuinely watched him to come to this conclusion? Obviously he's overpriced because every other footballer on the planet is so lets leave that aside for now but genuinely don't know how people that watch him think he's over-rated. He doesn't have the touch of Ronaldinho for sure but he's just an absolute beast. He's lightning quick but he's such a fighter too. Absolutely batters defenders and always seems to come out with the ball in duels. Has the third most shots per game in the top five leagues and has a better non-penalty scoring rate than Harry Kane while being much younger. Would absolutely love him at the club as I think he's exactly what we need.
He is scoring heavily in a league just like Lukaku and Tammy Abraham have.
I am not really interested when someone mentions the top 7 or top 5 leagues in Europe as we have seen the gulf between those leagues to the top 2.
The guy may be a good player and may make a good transition into the Premier League and if he scored a stack of goals in England then we can talk about a 100mil price tag but in my opinion it is a toss of a coin to see if he could do that or not.

Bondi77

Ighalo man.

"It is very true that Manchester United wanted Victor, but he told me something like he had too much respect for Odion Ighalo to be competing for shirts with his senior colleague," Andrew Osimhen said.

Andrew added: "My brother holds Ighalo in high esteem and he just didn't see himself going to Old Trafford to battle for a striking role with the highest goalscorer at the 2019 AFCON in Egypt."

I am just wondering what is the difference between true and very true :nervous:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He is scoring heavily in a league just like Lukaku and Tammy Abraham have.
He's not. He's scoring at a clear level above them.

Non penalty goals per 90 in their Serie A seasons (including current seasons).

Lukaku: 0.51, 0.56, 0.26
Tammy: 0.41, 0.31
Osimhen: 0.57, 0.64, 0.83

In other words Osimhen's worst season in Serie A is better than any of Lukaku or Abraham's in terms of goal rate. And we see the same same thing when we look at their underlying stats.

Lukaku: 0.43, 0.57, 0.33
Tammy: 0.49, 0.55
Osimhen: 0.61, 0.62, 0.59

Other than having played in the same league, these are not comparable players.

croadyman

Ighalo man.

"It is very true that Manchester United wanted Victor, but he told me something like he had too much respect for Odion Ighalo to be competing for shirts with his senior colleague," Andrew Osimhen said.

Andrew added: "My brother holds Ighalo in high esteem and he just didn't see himself going to Old Trafford to battle for a striking role with the highest goalscorer at the 2019 AFCON in Egypt."

Never realised this guy had any connection to Ighalo so maybe need to use that to our advantage.Seems to have a menacing presence which maybe puts him above Kane on shortlist.

Last edited:

El Jefe

Not seen this guy at all. Who is he comparable to in style?
The lukaku comparisons are lazy in my opinion. He reminds me of Vardy, there's never a moment of rest for a CB when he is around. Not the most polished with hold up play but works the channels tirelessly and is a well rounded finisher.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Fun fact: After 14 games and no goals as a young player for Wolfsburg, they got rid of him and replaced him with... Wout Weghorst. :wenger:

Pintu

All big transfers are risky... It has nothing to do with the league. We bought Maguire and Lukaku from Leicester and Everton and it didn't work out... Torres was killing it for Liverpool and couldn't hack it for Chelsea...

And regarding the prices you are wrong. We usually pay much higher fees for players already in England... Your image of transfers in Italy is indeed wrong. 25 year old Salah was sold to Liverpool for 42M... And 30 year old Higuain got sold to Juventus for 94 M (Napoli didn't want to sell actually but he had a clause).

criticalanalysis

Fun fact: After 14 games and no goals as a young player for Wolfsburg, they got rid of him and replaced him with... Wout Weghorst. :wenger:
Weghorst has a blinder with us, we sign him permanently in the summer and splash the cash on Osimhen, where we then transition to an orthodox 4-4-2 under ETH. We play possession, high pressing, direct and long ball crossing football to smash everyone domestically and in Europe for a clean sweep of every trophy possible, where our twin 6+ foot giants lead us to glory :drool:

SirSteve4

Not seen this guy at all. Who is he comparable to in style?
Having watched him a few times, I would say the closest comparison would be Mark Hughes (although Osimhen is a bit more clinical in front of goal than Sparky used to be).

Reactions: 2cents

Klean

I wanted this guy in the summer and thought he should be priority #1 this upcoming summer.

When you watch him, you see that he has pace, power, work rate, and natural instincts with his movements. His 1st goal today vs. Juve was a good example. Yet he also shows that he can improve his decision-making and other facets of his game. If we could get him for the same money that pool paid for Nunez; it would be an absolute steal. I think with proper coaching and a team that can create chances, he would become one of the best 5 forwards in the world.

For me, Osimhen and De Jong are the dream signings this summer to push this team to a title contention level.

croadyman

I wanted this guy in the summer and thought he should be priority #1 this upcoming summer.

When you watch him, you see that he has pace, power, work rate, and natural instincts with his movements. His 1st goal today vs. Juve was a good example. Yet he also shows that he can improve his decision-making and other facets of his game. If we could get him for the same money that pool paid for Nunez; it would be an absolute steal. I think with proper coaching and a team that can create chances, he would become one of the best 5 forwards in the world.

For me, Osimhen and De Jong are the dream signings this summer to push this team to a title contention level.
Yeah think Erik could get even more out of him,he may not have Kane's playmaking abilities but perhaps Erik isn't looking for that in a striker

avgp_1

I've heard many say his first touch is bad. Is that true because we don't want another Lukaku on our books in terms of first touch.
It's nowhere near bad. It can be unpredictable at times but he is not a liability at all as I have stressed many times on this thread. His link up play is pretty decent, though he doesn't actually get involved a lot in build up.

PSV

I'll admit I wanted us to take a punt on him a few seasons back (when he ended up signing for Lille), but the fact he's been missing 10+ league games every season of his career since then isn't spectacular.

If you add the fact that he's African and will be missing entire January next year on top of that I think we should be looking elsewhere.

Bondi77

Having watched him a few times, I would say the closest comparison would be Mark Hughes (although Osimhen is a bit more clinical in front of goal than Sparky used to be).
I have not seen him play apart from Youtube but posters on here are saying his hold up play and his technique is not the best which is the exact opposite to Sparky so I am a little bit confused with your comparison?

SirSteve4

I have not seen him play apart from Youtube but posters on here are saying his hold up play and his technique is not the best which is the exact opposite to Sparky so I am a little bit confused with your comparison?
The aggression in his play and the way he chases down the ball as well as his physicality reminds me of Sparky. Also I think his hold up play is underrated on here.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
When looking at stats by Tammy Abraham it’s worrying when Osimhen hasn’t had a 15+ goal Serie A season yet.

Ofcourse he may be young but it’s more the price of being a near 120mil rated player as well.

His strike rate is good but again - what’s stopped him being a 15+ league player?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
When looking at stats by Tammy Abraham it’s worrying when Osimhen hasn’t had a 15+ goal Serie A season yet.

Ofcourse he may be young but it’s more the price of being a near 120mil rated player as well.

His strike rate is good but again - what’s stopped him being a 15+ league player?
He is going to break 15 goals within the next few games. He had 14 goals in 27 appearances last year which is better than 1 in 2, Abraham scored 17 in 37 last season which is actually a worse ratio than Osimhen but he played 10 more games. Even the season before Osimhen got 10 in 24 which is nearly the same ratio as Abraham.

Bebestation

He is going to break 15 goals within the next few games. He had 14 goals in 27 appearances last year which is better than 1 in 2, Abraham scored 17 in 37 last season which is actually a worse ratio than Osimhen but he played 10 more games. Even the season before Osimhen got 10 in 24 which is nearly the same ratio as Abraham.
Yeah I can see that but something about Napoli reminds me of a club that overrated their own players - from Koulibaly, Hamsik, Mertens,insigne, Lozano, Fabian Ruiz and maybe even players like Higuain.

They are not bad players, they are good yet a bit over priced.

I feel the same about Kim min Jae as well.

Im not sure we get this player worth the price from Napoli.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah I can see that but something about Napoli reminds me of a club that overrated their own players - from Koulibaly, Hamsik, Mertens,insigne, Lozano, Fabian Ruiz and maybe even players like Higuain.

They are not bad players, they are good yet a bit over priced.

I feel the same about Kim min Jae as well.

Im not sure we get this player worth the price from Napoli.
To be fair their top players very rarely leave them during their prime so we can’t reasonably assess how they would perform in a different environment. Koulibaly left about 3 years too late, Hamsik actually went to China at 32, Insigne went to Toronto at 31 and Mertens went to Galatasaray at 35.

NoPace

Watched the Juve game.

Pros:
-Bullied and terrified the Juve CBs. Destroyed them in the channels and since he forced their line deep with his threat over the top or running the channels, they either ended up with a big gap between their CBs and midfield and then he isolated one defender and turned him after getting a ball lobbed towards him or others had space to work.

-Wants to score badly but not overly selfish

-Dominant CF header when he got the chance

Cons:
-One time with back to goal he passed back 15 yards instead of turning, in general he was kind of meh with his back to goal when it wasn't on the edge of the box, where he was happy to just shield the ball and turn and maybe win a penalty.

So, we're arguably not a good fit for him system-wise, but Napoli's wasn't that different really (proper 3 in midfield, no #10 and little half-space stuff) but they play Spalletti's always clean 4-3-3 quite nicely.

The case for him system wise, is that if we signed him and teams don't park the bus against us, he'd be a proper threat in behind and for headers, and he'd force defensive lines 4-5 yards deeper. He's not quite as invisible as Haaland, but there are some similarities (good and bad) so I could see us failing to spend enough to pry him from Napoli. Ferguson would have paid a record fee for him, though, he's sort of a faster Alan Shearer with a shade less creativity.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The best thing about this thread is the contrast in the descriptions of the player. Don’t think I’ve ever seen such disparity, even from post to post, let alone page to page.

Bebestation

seems most of his goals is to beat the offside trap (Rashford does this for us) and score headers.

Not really a fully target man or back to gOal type striker IMO.

pacifictheme

Can't wait for him to go to Chelsea or somewhere else in the summer and everyone to start slagging him off.

massi83

Funny how many in this thread didn't see it with him. And some still don’t, baffling. But signing players from Napoli is harder than for United to sign from Levy. 150m price, unless he goes on a strike, so too late for us now.