g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Video games that were amazing but didn’t get the recognition it deserved

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Auto corrected to the correct English spelling and I refused to change it back!
I'll allow it this time.

But what do you think about the DLCs? They are all actual games and all great. In fact I shouldn't ignore The Brigmore Witches.

Revan

Assumptionman
Planescape Torment - the game with the best writing of all time.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Artifact. A ccg with so much depth, it was dead on arrival.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
People give Resident Evil 5 a bad rap but I enjoyed it so much I’ve played through it countless times on multiple platforms. One of the most seamless and enjoyable co-op modes of any game I’ve ever played.

Copa Mundial

Alien Trilogy
Dino Crisis
Fade to Black
Red Faction
Psycho Fox
Flashback
Alundra

The Hilton

Titanfall 2 is the first one that springs to mind - one of the best shooters ever made, but was released really closely between Battlefield and COD, and so didn't sell well, despite being orders of magnitude better than both of them.

Shenmue is another one, absolutely ground breaking and years ahead of its time, but it was released on the Dreamcast which didn't sell particularly well, and so an entire generation missed out on one of its best games.

Little big adventure II (Aka. Twinsen's Odyssey)

Crazy to think it's already 25 years old.
I loved this game growing up, the scope of it was huge, the puzzles were fun and intricate, for the time it was amazing.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Star Control 2. Fairly successful at the time (1992) to be fair, but it appears to have been completely forgotten.

jeff_goldblum

Sunless Sea for me is one of most engrossing settings I've seen in a game. It's not the style of game that was ever going to be a smash hit, but it's just brilliant.

Shenmue deserves a shout for just being miles ahead of anything else out there at the time. I remember playing it at the time on the Dreamcast with a sense of awe about how much a game could do. The thing of most NPCs you spoke to having a couple of different lines of dialogue when you chatted to them was still a rarity will into the 2010s.

XIII is a less obvious shout but the multiplayer experience was as good as anything i ever see in an FPS. Looking back, my friendship group probably had the experience with XIII that slightly older folks would have had with Goldeneye.

Balljy

Sunless Sea for me is one of most engrossing settings I've seen in a game. It's not the style of game that was ever going to be a smash hit, but it's just brilliant.

Shenmue deserves a shout for just being miles ahead of anything else out there at the time. I remember playing it at the time on the Dreamcast with a sense of awe about how much a game could do. The thing of most NPCs you spoke to having a couple of different lines of dialogue when you chatted to them was still a rarity will into the 2010s.

XIII is a less obvious shout but the multiplayer experience was as good as anything i ever see in an FPS. Looking back, my friendship group probably had the experience with XIII that slightly older folks would have had with Goldeneye.
Shenmue was superb and ahead of its time, but I'm not sure it fits in the thread as it was highly rated and recognised as a classic game at the time. XIII is a great shout - totally forgot about that game.

MuFc_1992

Total Overdose, it got pretty mediocre reviews but was really fun to play. I hadn't played any GTA game at this point in my life so that might have been why I remember this game so fondly

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Braid - it gets some recognition but I don't think people realize how brilliant it is

ManRed

I was thinking the other day about a game called ‘Shadow of Rome. A game released around 2004 which for me was an incredible game yet today it’s not really that recognised and because of the poor sales of the game the developers ended up cancelling the proposed sequel and they ended up making Dead Rising instead.

A well developed game with great character development, great soundtrack and a great story which again didn’t get the plaudits and awards it should of done.

Anybody have any similar games they would like to share which they feel didn’t get the appreciation it deserved.
Shadow of Rome is one of my all time favorites. Funny when I saw the thread title that game was the first name that popped in my head.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Outer Wilds (and its DLC). It is highly rated and plenty of people who played it have fallen head over heels for it. And one of the best youtube game reviewers- Skillup- gave both the main game and the DLC his GOTY in 19 ans 21 respectively.

But I still don't feel it gets the recognition for being the absolutely incredible piece of work it is. At least from a wider audience. Which is understand too as it's far from what we typically expect from from a gaming experience.

chris123

For some reason, Spec Ops: The Line is the first game that came into my head. Great game with a story that actually had you questioning the morality of the main character. Was definitely overlooked when it was first released.

Giggsyking

The last medal of honor. Warfighter. 2012. It was really good, but I dont know what it failed.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I was thinking the other day about a game called ‘Shadow of Rome. A game released around 2004 which for me was an incredible game yet today it’s not really that recognised and because of the poor sales of the game the developers ended up cancelling the proposed sequel and they ended up making Dead Rising instead.

A well developed game with great character development, great soundtrack and a great story which again didn’t get the plaudits and awards it should of done.

Anybody have any similar games they would like to share which they feel didn’t get the appreciation it deserved.
A capcom hidden gem. Have vivid memories playing this .

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Beyond Good and Evil. Was a fantastic PS2 game with great graphics and a brilliant story but did not, as I recall, get the attention it deserved despite universal praise from critics. Wouldn't be surprised if part of its ‘problem’ was that it had a female lead character.
This was the first game I thought of. I remember really liking the soundtrack as well.

Another one is Psychonauts. Excellent game.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
3D Dot Game Heroes is another underrated classic.
Valkyria Chronicles - Always seems like this game should be bigger than what it was. I know they have remastered it and it has a few sequels but it just doesn't feel as omnipresent a series as it should.