Villarreal - Manchester United | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SER19

I don't get the negativity - yes, it's not the Big Ears, but it's still European silverware. Will be gutted if we lose.
I've made this point before. Look at atletico and Chelsea for example, clubs competing in CL finals who won this in recent years. Why would the choice be crap or aiming to win the CL. We're clearly only an improving side and winning this would be a great stepping stone and confidence booster not to mention great experience for likes of rashford, Greenwood, mctominay etc

If you don't want to see Solskjaer lift a trophy 22 years after Barcelona to the night, then you're doing football wrong.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Anyone not excited for this needs to give their head a wobble. Not everything is about winning the UCL. This cup has a history to it. I get it maybe if this was the new conference league but it isn’t and this is a chance for another European trophy

Born2Lose

I think I'm more excited about this because I want it for Ole.

I hope it will silence a few of his critics for the short term at least.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Wow. So it's the league or the European Cup.. or nothing?

The first season I went to watch them, I saw us get relegated. I thought the odd F.A.Cup win might be the pinnacle and European finals were a dream.

It doesn't matter how much success I've been fortunate to see since then, I savour every big match, every final, every trophy. There's only a few every season and we can win one... other club's fans would love to be where we are.

Hope you watch it, hope we win, hope you embrace it.
:nervous: :nervous: :nervous: I hope you aren't going to watch tonight and jinx us then!!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Anyone not excited for this needs to give their head a wobble. Not everything is about winning the UCL. This cup has a history to it. I get it maybe if this was the new conference league but it isn’t and this is a chance for another European trophy
Glory hunting fans.

The only thing that is important to me is progression. Win or lose (but obviously I hope we win) is that we have shown clear progression this season. There weren't any signs of that with the previous managers.

Jaxa

Really excited for this game,

It will get that monkey of Ole's back to win a trophy with us and hopefully the first of many, plus it will be great experience for some of the younger players and hopefully make them even more hungrier for next season to continue that winning feeling,

I can't see this being an open free scoring game, both teams will be nervous, a lot of players from both teams never played in a final, on our end we really need the experience of Cavani, Pogba, Rashford, Lindelof etc to shine tonight, the players who have won a trophy and know how to get through a final.

Red Royal

Feels like this could be Ole's moment equivalent to when SAF won the FA Cup versus Crystal Palace way back in 1990, where he too had had a few years of criticism and would have suffered many FergieOut threads on the Caf if it were around.

Fergie also had a goalkeeping decision to make (in the replay) and replaced his regular Jim Leighton with his able deputy the charasmatic late Les Sealy (RIP). Wonder if he has thought about that, though I believe he will stick with De Gea.

The goal that day came from an unlikely source (so what price a WanBisaka or Shaw winner) and that win was the catalyst to an amazing long happy chapter in our clubs history. I hope this can be something near as important to us.

Come on United!

crossy1686

career ending
I think I'm more excited about this because I want it for Ole.

I hope it will silence a few of his critics for the short term at least.
They've already started citing reasons why the EL doesn't mean anything and it's a nothing trophy. They will continue to make shit up regardless of what he wins.

Oranges038

Can't wait for this. Love a cup final. My main concern is that Dracula has won this a few times and he knows how to get his team over the line in finals.

Going by previous games with Villareal and looking at their results, they average about a goal scored/conceded every game. They don't give much away and aside from occasionally hammering a few weaker La Liga teams don't score that many themselves.

I am normally wrong. But I can see this being a tight game, possibly 1-1 and all the way to penalties.

Lay

They've already started citing reasons why the EL doesn't mean anything and it's a nothing trophy. They will continue to make shit up regardless of what he wins.
Same was when we did it a few years ago. The WUMs couldn’t help but go on about how we shouldn’t be celebrating this trophy.

romufc

I mean it is a European cup final so we have to be excited.

Also, if you listen to a few players, they all say that winning cup finals gives team confidence that they can win trophies. This will only help us in the coming season.

This is the reason pep goes for every trophy available, the winning feeling and mentality needs to be bred into the squad.

Betson

Has anyone posted yet how we should pick a 2nd string team so as not to tire the lads out for the preseason for next season?

It amazes me at times on here before big matches such as FA Cup semi final last year and many other big cup matches etc the amount of posters who don;t want us to send out our strongest team. I assume that is not case this time round.

It may not be the European cup final we wanted to be in, but it is a final and there is silverware at stake , would be a big setback to fall at the final hurdle here.

sugar_kane

Anyone not looking forward to the final might want to consider whether football is actually for them.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Some wankers just want to moan about everything. It's a major trophy and a huge deal for our team.
And us fans. If those who want to be so reductive about the trophy I’d hope they kindly feck off and leave the thread to those who want us to win.

I recommend a ban for those until the final is done. The thought of supposed fans I during the match wanting us to lose just pisses me off

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Just remembered we will need to play City or Chelsea in the Super Cup next season, if we win. Ew.
ohh, I never thought of that.

Only ever 1 Super Cup win previously and that was 1991

Would be deligted to add another!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
ohh, I never thought of that.

Only ever 1 Super Cup win previously and that was 1991

Would be deligted to add another!
It’s also been won by Valencia and Zenit St P.

Just another money making cup that jams up the season.

Would like to be there though

Devil81

Got everything crossed they've been playing mind games with the Maguire injury and he's now fit to play.

Going to be a tough game this tonight, just hope Bruno has one of those games where everything he does is sheer magic.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
How are 'fans' being negative about this for feck sake.

Tonight is huge for us. Could really give the players belief and propel us to the next level. May also make us more appealing to players joining if we're a 'winning team'. Get this won and celebrate a really good season.

Reditus

It’s also been won by Valencia and Zenit St P.

Just another money making cup that jams up the season.

Would like to be there though
Super Cup has been there for many years. I dont see any issue with it

Why does it matter that Zenit won it? (They beat us in that game)

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I am getting my vintage jersey out for this one.

Its a European final - apart from the CL its the next best cup to win.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Atleast we're the away team, so shouldn't lose

cyberman

I can’t believe he played for us :lol: like a fever dream! He wasn’t that bad to be fair, love his attitude and appreciate that he genuinely supports us.
He did an interview where he said he didnt know how huge Utd were before joining. Getting mobbed in pre season friendlies shocked him and he claimed we were bigger than Bayern if i remember correctly.
Id say its easy to fall in love with Utd as a player.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I predict we’ll go 1-0 up early, Cavani. We’ll then shit our pants & sit back, Villarreal make it 1-1 in the 2nd half from a corner. We bring off Rashford after his inevitable stinker & bring on Greenwood, who gets the winner in extra time. 2-1 United.

Reditus

Got a great feeling about this. I think we're going to roll them over in style tonight.
:drool:

What I wouldnt give for a stress free night. Just enjoy the game

3 up at half time, soemthing like that.....but I dont see it happening. Think it could be a long nervy evening

Status
Not open for further replies.