Villarreal - Manchester United | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Expecting a tough match against a deep-lying, defensive side. Trying to convince myself that it's just another game but the significance of winning a trophy under Ole is bigger than the actual silverware for me. Winning a trophy is always great but a win would be a genuine validation of the progress we've made over the past 2 years and a springboard to even better things.

I'm already edgy :nervous:
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't correlate at all with progress on the European stage. We've been favourites since we got knocked out of the CL into the EL and we'll just be seeing the job through. Villarreal finished 7th in the league, Roma finished 7th in their league, Milan had a solid end and finished 2nd but 12 points behind the leaders. They were in tragic form going into our games. Real Sociedad finished 5th.

It's always nice to win a trophy, but that is all this will represent if we're being realistic. We haven't exactly covered ourselves in glory with performances leading to the final.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't correlate at all with progress on the European stage. We've been favourites since we got knocked out of the CL into the EL and we'll just be seeing the job through. Villarreal finished 7th in the league, Roma finished 7th in their league, Milan had a solid end and finished 2nd but 12 points behind the leaders. They were in tragic form going into our games. Real Sociedad finished 5th.

It's always nice to win a trophy, but that is all this will represent if we're being realistic. We haven't exactly covered ourselves in glory with performances leading to the final.
I bet you're fun at parties.

JB7

I don't disagree largely but I think mentally it shows progress to be honest. Our players clearly had a mental hurdle building over semi finals, which saw us fall to Sevilla last year. We've got over that hurdle and coupled with the massive progress shown in the league, ending the year with a trophy would be the culmination a good season of overall progress.

Bertie 2 Hats

This is a must win game as it will hopefully continue reinforcing our players with that big game winning mentality. The chance of winning a major trophy tonight will stand us in good stead for next season for a serious tilt at winning the Premier League and/or Champs League. I hope Ole fields an attack minded team such as -

....................de Gea.................
.AWB Lindelof Tuanzebe Shaw
......................Fred......................
........Fernandes Pogba...............
Greenwood Cavani Rashford

Godfather

Very nervous. Not buying all that prove of progress crap that's been spouted in this thread but I really want us to win this thing. Cmon Reds!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

4-0 against Sociedad when they were doing well in La Liga
6-2 against Milan who have finished second.

Not the elite that competes in the UCL later stages, probably, but to say it doesn’t represent progress is absurd to say the least. Players who haven’t yet won a trophy, a coach who hasn’t yet won a trophy with Utd, a team that has built on last season with better performances in the domestic league. Not moving in the right direction?

JB7

This is a must win game as it will hopefully continue reinforcing our players with that big game winning mentality. The chance of winning a major trophy tonight will stand us in good stead for next season for a serious tilt at winning the Premier League and/or Champs League. I hope Ole fields an attack minded team such as -

McTominay in for Rashford (although it'll probably be instead of Greenwood :rolleyes:) and you've got the team there.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Funny you say that because people on this forum on many occasions were saying we have no chance of winning the EL etc (not saying that was you).

We have had a tough draw in this competition and probably knocked out some of the more difficult teams so we have proven our pedigree in my opinion.

Praying we do the job tonight, we deserve it.

antk

4-0 against Sociedad when they were doing well in La Liga
6-2 against Milan who have finished second.

Not the elite that competes in the UCL later stages, probably, but to say it doesn’t represent progress is absurd to say the least. Players who haven’t yet won a trophy, a coach who hasn’t yet won a trophy with Utd, a team that has built on last season with better performances in the domestic league. Not moving in the right direction?
6-2 was against Roma. Milan was a tight 1-1 / 0-1 affair.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

Disagree tbh. Us being favourites means nothing, it's still a final against a decent side. Talking about progress is all well and good but, ultimately the side and Ole need to get into the habit of winning things. The young players need to get a taste for it. We need to go from being a very good side on our day to being a very good side that wins things. This isn't just one match, it's a big next step. For those reasons, it's a big game.

Paul_Scholes18

I hope we go for it. Play agressive the way we did against Real Sociedad and second half vs Roma.

Not nervy or too cautious since then I think we are mentally the weaker sides if it goes to extra time.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

No chance he drops his Scotty

GenericUtdfan

Is winning two Europa Leagues in the last few years equal to Liverpool's single Champions League achievement?

Possibly?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Is winning two Europa Leagues in the last few years equal to Liverpool's single Champions League achievement?

Possibly?
No. Even Sevilla‘s five are not equal to an actual CL trophy.

But that’s not relevant today anyway. It‘s a cup final which we should aim to win.

Shiva87

Really, I thought our performances in the EL have been very good apart from the first leg against Milan. We have always been in control of all of those ties.

We tried to mess it up in the second leg against Roma but were far enough ahead for it not to matter. This really feels like our tournament to win, and we need to go out and do that. Important for this team to feel the pressure of being favourites and come out with a result. So far our best runs and performances have been as underdogs/ comebacks/ where we have to prove that we deserve to be playing CL.

Fts 74

Really looking forward to this now.

Been too long since we were in a final ok its not the CL but I'll be absolutely buzzing if we win tonight I'd of taken any trophy at the start of the season.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If we do win, I’ll enjoy this one more than the previous Europa win. We actually play better football now. I don’t overly enjoy watching our scrappy win over Ajax

Norris

Excited for this... Hope we win convincingly, proving doubters wrong. I believe in this squad!

TrustInOle

I think what he was getting at is that this trophy will be more important to the team as a collective than just winning the EL would normally be. The mental affect of winning can't be undervalued and could have a huge impact on the players and Ole himself as Manchester United manager going forward. The most important thing is for Ole to make sure the players know this is just the begining and we don't rest on our laurels!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Should be a good game hopefully.

Bar Maguire, no excuses for us not to win on paper. Best attack and midfield available and rested.

The Spanish clubs have a great record in European finals collectively, and this is arguably Villarreal's biggest European game since Arsenal knocked them out of the CL in the semis in 2006, so it will be a tough game.

Crustanoid

Nervous but great to be in a final.

Villarreal are no fools and we can’t start off badly or score then switch off.

Emery is an accomplished Europa manager too.

I just want us to play to our full potential and show the right attitude.

If we do lose I don’t want to see lots of Ole Out / We are awfully coached idiot threads being resurrected.

Come on reds!

bosskeano

rumored starting XI....leaked on twitter

DeGea
AWB Lindelof Bailly Shaw
McFred
Bruno
Rashford Cavani Pogba

Gythio

Very nervous about this, would be so nice to lift some silverware again!

Saw some discussion about the importance of this trophy. This is how i rate the competitions:
1. League
2. CL
3. FA cup & EL
4. League cup

Status
Not open for further replies.