Vinicius Junior

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
I've also lived in Spain, as well as a couple of South American countries and found racism, both explicit and implict, far more common in those countries than I have in Anglo countries. I have also lived in Egypt and similar there.

The exact wording is difficult but the framing is roughly similar. A belief that essentially nothing short of a lynching can be racist. A refusal to acknowledge when others feel there has been racism. A hiding behind being darker than the Northern Europeans/ 'Anglo-Saxons' as if to say there is no way they could therefore be racist themselves. A hiding behind their culture. Pretending that the reason 'Anglo-Saxons' focus on it more is because they are obsessed with race/ have more to apologise for.

Its ridiculous.
I agree with you. I'm Mexican and about 90% of Mexicans aren't white. Nevertheless, the darker you are the uglier and poorer you are perceived. There are even some collocations like "piel humilde" (humble skin) that are used a lot without giving them much thought.

Ludens the Red

My opinion (born and raised in Spain, living in anglo contries for a decade, mostly USA), is that Spain is LESS racist than any of those anglo countries, where the is an unhealthy obsession with race. To me, and to many spaniards, is beyond madness the continuous "race" topic. Why does everything gravitate around race? In Spain people just care a lot less about it. If something is unimportant (meaning you don't really care skin color), then you can be more vocal. It is like any other personal stuff like hair color, body shape, etc. Spanish people also take insults less seriously, in general. "insult culture" is different.

Many people will think that anglo didn't catch up many other things because they dont see the condemnation the receive in other places with other languages (interest in other languages in english speaking countries is close to 0). It is a 2 way street, as shocking it might sound to you.

Spanish grandparents didn't have special (shitty) hotels for black people so they didn't mix, Spanish grandparents didn't put certain people in gas chambers, Spanish grandparents didn't have humans in zoos, Spanish grandpas weren't committing a genocide of aboriginal people last century, etc (I know, not all of them are anglo, but they were closer anyway). If something, Spanish grandpas were killing each other. There is not the "same level of conscience" because literally our grandpas didn't treat them as subhumans. Civil war scars are still open for many people because that is what Spanish grandpas did. But black people? who cares???? Spain was "isolated" during a big part of 20th century because of Franco dictatorship. You might state that there is racism with muslims and gypsies (who are actually spaniards) for other matters, and it is not actually motivated by color skin. Black people was very limited and they were seen as "misterious" people because they were rare in the country in the 20th century, never inferior. People would stare at the few blacks in Spain because it was surprising and many people had never seen one (specially outside big cities). Hate in Spain is way more spread and rampant vs Spaniards from other regions. This is actually a very big problem. Racism in Spain is not a (widespread) issue by any means. UK voted to leave the EU a few years ago in one of the most stupid and xenophobic acts of the history. Come on.

Anglo tend to think that their reality is the only reality. Pure projection. Just because a country is mostly white (well, Spain is not white for many anglos anyway) and it is in the same area of the planet, they need to act using the exact same code anglos created or they are racists/whatever ist your want. "Blackface" is another example. In Spain people just painted their fases in black because there weren't black people (for example for Christmas representations) or because you could just get disguised as a black in carnival as you could dress as a woman, a dragon or a magician. Nothing negative about it, because they weren't seen as inferiors or mistreated in Spain. Even in the Holly Week we have anglos screaming and insulting Spain because "some are dressed as KKK", no matter if they had been doing that for 4 centuries before KKK was created... nope... they were just racists!!!

Again, Spain has a lot of issues, but being black is not an issue at all in Spain. You will receive pure hate by way more people just for being from Madrid, catalan, basque, etc. Nobody will ever harass your business because you are black, but they will depending on the language you use in your shop.

Football atmosphere is problematic though, since we are children. Parents have no education and the atmosphere is very negative. I received a lot of insults when I was young, of all kind. For example, playing in Navarre (not even the Basque Country), we were sang something like "f*** spaniards! you should look behind the bus!" the very next day of ETA killing a politician with a bomb car. I was around 14 at that time. 2 weeks ago Pep was repeatedly called yunkie and faggot in Bernabeu (elaborated chants, not just those words, so they were thinking about it for a while).

And I don't pretend to insult anglo countries because I live in one of them for other reasons and I'm very happy.
What a load of absolute bollocks. How have you typed that, read it over and pressed post?
If it’s such an unimportant matter why is it there has been such regular racial vitriol directed at black players over the years in Spain. If the people of Spain are so much better at looking beyond race why are these incidents happening?
Why do Spanish people who go to la liga matches direct monkey chants to black players if they don’t care about race and don’t like the matter of race being constantly brought up.

In 2004 why did MOST of the Bernabeu choose to target Englands black players with monkey chants? Was this a way of showing solidarity with black people?
How about Samuel Etoo suffering the same at Zaragoza? Whats the thinking behind these in your nonsensical post?
“Let’s draw attention to the black player and shower him with abuse to show that we don’t care about race”.. you’ll have to explain that one to me.

What about throwing bananas at Dani Alves? Was that also the Spanish way of showing England how to not be racist and not draw attention to race.

The reason the race issue keeps getting brought up is because for some inexplicable reason a significant amount of people who go to football matches in Spain choose, target and abuse black players. If you don’t fecking do it, nobody is going to talk about it.

The English Premier League has managed to get through an entire season without a discussion on race or a player being racially abused by large amount of spectators in the stadium.
This was achieved by people going to football matches and not racially abusing or singling out black players. It’s almost as if there’s a connection.

Cloud7

Manutd.com have put out a piece in support of Case's statement regarding this incident. There seems to be a lot of people speaking out about it as well, like some very strong statements from Rio. I wonder if this might end up becoming big enough that Tebas can't just sweep this under the carpet. It would be great to see players at other clubs, and then the clubs themselves, come out condemning this like Cas and United have.

krazyrobus

Spanish grandparents didn't have special (shitty) hotels for black people so they didn't mix, Spanish grandparents didn't put certain people in gas chambers, Spanish grandparents didn't have humans in zoos, Spanish grandpas weren't committing a genocide of aboriginal people last century, etc (I know, not all of them are anglo, but they were closer anyway). If something, Spanish grandpas were killing each other. There is not the "same level of conscience" because literally our grandpas didn't treat them as subhumans. Civil war scars are still open for many people because that is what Spanish grandpas did. But black people? who cares????
:lol: Are you serious? Does South America not ring a bell?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
It does not matter how irritating or annoying a player is. NOTHING gives anyone the right or justifies racial abuse. People are allowed to be arrogant. An arrogant person is still more decent that a dirty scumbag of a racist.

wr8_utd

:'(
When you see Cebbalos, Vini's own teammate, state that the latter shouldn't have gestured back to the Valencia fans, you just know he's fighting a losing battle.

Also, for all the talk of "Don" Carlo, I'd have had far more respect and admiration if he'd backed up his talk with actually taking his team off the pitch yesterday. Madrid have absolutely nothing to play for this season so if he can't take such a stance this season, they certainly won't do it next.

Just Hope

:lol: Are you serious? Does South America not ring a bell?
Yeah pretty much. For example, Argentina declared independence in 1816. Just 60 years later, in 1878 the government started what would be known as the "Conquest of the Desert", which entailed the expansion of its borders into aboriginal lands and the extermination of the indigenous populace. Those 60 years are just three generations.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I've been living in anglo countries 2 times what you have lived in Spain.
I find the anglo countries way more racist than Spain. You might like it or not.
Apart from all the criticism you received re. your portrayal of race attitudes in Spain, I'd also point out that this is a ridiculous generalization. Are you saying racism is exactly the same in all anglophone countries? Given you are discounting @Rooney in Paris's experience with Spain due to it not being long enough, I suppose you have lived long enough in every anglophone country? Including in various regions of them, cause a place like the US is pretty big and not very uniform.

These are of course nonsense questions - I don't need you to respond to them. Rather, I'm hoping you will realize your starting point here is nonsensical.

I'll add two more points. First, racial colourblindness is not a good thing. Part of your claim is that Spain isn't racist because it does not care about race. That is generally not how it works. In an ideal society - sure. But in practice, racial (and other) prejudices are everywhere, and the way to get rid of them, is by being aware of them and putting things in place to compensate for the issues those prejudices cause. That's why being preoccupied with racism is actually a good thing: it's what you need to get to solutions.

Second, you mentioned in one post that people are called 'faggots' in stadiums, and in another that Spain is one of the best places in the world for gay people to live. Don't you see that's contradictory? How can Spain be a great place for gay people if it's a common insult to call someone gay? Obviously, it's not the only factor, but it ties back to how you talk about racism. As also pointed out by @Iker Quesadillas, you appear to think insults count for nothing. Rather, insults betray underlying thinking (being black is bad, being gay is bad); and there is no way that thinking doesn't permeate actions (like, let's hire this white straight person in stead of that black or that gay person).

In short, your posts on levels of inclusivity and respect in Spain don't seem like a reliable source of information to me.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Saw videos of the incident. Get that Vini provokes reaction but in life there are certain line that should not be crossed. Tebas’s response was so tone deaf.
With La Liga matches being meaningless for Real Madrid for the rest of the season, they should walk off the pitch every game until Tebas apologizes

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm gonna elaborate on my point, lest anyone thinks I'm just shitposting.

Luis Aragones, former Spanish NT manager, got in trouble for calling Thierry Henry a "black shit." His response: " The problem of racism is, in my opinion, a question of conscience and all I can say is that mine is clear." Henry's Spanish teammate Manuel Almunia said: " He is a strong personality who was only trying to motivate his players. But racist, not at all." (Sources 1 2)

Two years ago, when Camavinga signed for Real Madrid, a reporter got in trouble for describing him as "blacker than his suit" on a hot mic. Of the incident, she has said: "I have apologized for a mistake, for a comment that I made on a mic, but I'm not going to apologize for a racist comment because I did not make one." (source)

The Spanish basketball team was criticized for an ad in 2008 where they all did the "chinese eyes" gesture. Pau Gasol said: "it was a bad idea, but no intention to be racist." Jose Antonio Calderón said: "Anyone who interprets anything else from these photos is totally wrong." (Source)

In 2008, a group of Spanish fans taunted Lewis Hamilton by doing blackface and put on t-shirts with the text "Hamilton's family" at the Circuit de Catalunya. Although response was generally negative, you can still finds comments saying it was "meant to be a joke" (source) or that "it can't be an issue of racism." (source)

In 2020 the newspaper ABC said Ansu Fati runs like "an African street vendor running away from the police." The journalist apologized, saying: "Some of my expressions were taken as racist. This was not my intention, nor my opinion, as I hold a very positive view of the player. I'm sorry about the misunderstanding and I apologize to anyone who might have felt offended." (Source)

It's a very pervasive attitude. Apologetic but extremely defensive. Only vaguely aware that something bad happened. There's tons and tons of examples like that. "This is what our culture is like," "that's not offensive here", "you are too obsessed with these things", etc.
As someone currently living in Spain, your line "Spanish people often think this because they don't think anything is racist." was - in my opinion - completely on point.

Licha M

Football fans are generally a bit thick.

Valencia "fans" hurling racist abuse at Vinicius thinking it's funny, completely oblivious to the fact their team has Correia, Kluivert and Musah on the pitch.

Spain has been a cesspit for this behaviour for as long as I can remember, just as bad as Italy.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
As someone currently living in Spain, your line "Spanish people often think this because they don't think anything is racist." was - in my opinion - completely on point.
Tbh I think this is a very European trail of thought in general but that's for another day.

Conor

My opinion (born and raised in Spain, living in anglo contries for a decade, mostly USA), is that Spain is LESS racist than any of those anglo countries, where the is an unhealthy obsession with race. To me, and to many spaniards, is beyond madness the continuous "race" topic. Why does everything gravitate around race? In Spain people just care a lot less about it. If something is unimportant (meaning you don't really care skin color), then you can be more vocal. It is like any other personal stuff like hair color, body shape, etc. Spanish people also take insults less seriously, in general. "insult culture" is different.

Many people will think that anglo didn't catch up many other things because they dont see the condemnation the receive in other places with other languages (interest in other languages in english speaking countries is close to 0). It is a 2 way street, as shocking it might sound to you.

Spanish grandparents didn't have special (shitty) hotels for black people so they didn't mix, Spanish grandparents didn't put certain people in gas chambers, Spanish grandparents didn't have humans in zoos, Spanish grandpas weren't committing a genocide of aboriginal people last century, etc (I know, not all of them are anglo, but they were closer anyway). If something, Spanish grandpas were killing each other. There is not the "same level of conscience" because literally our grandpas didn't treat them as subhumans. Civil war scars are still open for many people because that is what Spanish grandpas did. But black people? who cares???? Spain was "isolated" during a big part of 20th century because of Franco dictatorship. You might state that there is racism with muslims and gypsies (who are actually spaniards) for other matters, and it is not actually motivated by color skin. Black people was very limited and they were seen as "misterious" people because they were rare in the country in the 20th century, never inferior. People would stare at the few blacks in Spain because it was surprising and many people had never seen one (specially outside big cities). Hate in Spain is way more spread and rampant vs Spaniards from other regions. This is actually a very big problem. Racism in Spain is not a (widespread) issue by any means. UK voted to leave the EU a few years ago in one of the most stupid and xenophobic acts of the history. Come on.

Anglo tend to think that their reality is the only reality. Pure projection. Just because a country is mostly white (well, Spain is not white for many anglos anyway) and it is in the same area of the planet, they need to act using the exact same code anglos created or they are racists/whatever ist your want. "Blackface" is another example. In Spain people just painted their fases in black because there weren't black people (for example for Christmas representations) or because you could just get disguised as a black in carnival as you could dress as a woman, a dragon or a magician. Nothing negative about it, because they weren't seen as inferiors or mistreated in Spain. Even in the Holly Week we have anglos screaming and insulting Spain because "some are dressed as KKK", no matter if they had been doing that for 4 centuries before KKK was created... nope... they were just racists!!!

Again, Spain has a lot of issues, but being black is not an issue at all in Spain. You will receive pure hate by way more people just for being from Madrid, catalan, basque, etc. Nobody will ever harass your business because you are black, but they will depending on the language you use in your shop.

Football atmosphere is problematic though, since we are children. Parents have no education and the atmosphere is very negative. I received a lot of insults when I was young, of all kind. For example, playing in Navarre (not even the Basque Country), we were sang something like "f*** spaniards! you should look behind the bus!" the very next day of ETA killing a politician with a bomb car. I was around 14 at that time. 2 weeks ago Pep was repeatedly called yunkie and faggot in Bernabeu (elaborated chants, not just those words, so they were thinking about it for a while).

And I don't pretend to insult anglo countries because I live in one of them for other reasons and I'm very happy.
It never ceases to amaze how a Spanish person will pop up with an awful take on the topic of racism when their country is mentioned. Also, the reason why racism isn't a big deal in Spain is because white Spanish people literally just decide what is racist themselves :lol:

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I personally have also noticed, in my own experience, more racism in English-speaking countries, or perhaps it is that the racist minority was much more explicit.
In any case, yes, having been on the forum for years I think the problem , as you say, is that for us Spaniards nothing is racist.
I also think that people treat a black/indian Hispanic in a much more considerate way than an African, black Anglo or Maghrebi.
I think that in Vini's case, apart from the constant displays of racism, he has to fight against anti-Madridismo, being the star of Madrid. Cristiano also endured a lot of insults in the early years.

But in Cristiano's case he didn't care, while Vini focuses a lot on the stands (I'm not saying he's a provocateur, but because of his character he's more affected).

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I personally have also noticed, in my own experience, more racism in English-speaking countries, or perhaps it is that the racist minority was much more explicit.
In any case, yes, having been on the forum for years I think the problem , as you say, is that for us Spaniards nothing is racist.
I also think that people treat a black/indian Hispanic in a much more considerate way than an African, black Anglo or Maghrebi.
I think that in Vini's case, apart from the constant displays of racism, he has to fight against anti-Madridismo, being the star of Madrid. Cristiano also endured a lot of insults in the early years.

But in Cristiano's case he didn't care, while Vini focuses a lot on the stands (I'm not saying he's a provocateur, but because of his character he's more affected).
Probably a bit hard not to when they make monkey noises and racially abuse you.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Probably a bit hard not to when they make monkey noises and racially abuse you.
I don't think he's going to get the monkey thing every time he runs on the wing, but I mean he looks very affected by any chant.
Obviously he has to keep going down that road, until the cameras catch each and every one of them and starts to be jail time.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Is there a club in England that could do with a winger. Should tempt them(and him) with an offer.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't think he's going to get the monkey thing every time he runs on the wing, but I mean he looks very affected by any chant.
Obviously he has to keep going down that road, until the cameras catch each and every one of them and starts to be jail time.
Its been happening for a while hasn't it? I mean at some point you reach a breaking point.
Also Cristiano didn't face racism either

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
@carvajal @CampNou

Just out of curiosity, what have you experienced in English-speaking countries you've visited/lived in to state you found more racism there? I live in one and I think the environment in that sense is good enough even though I have friends who have suffered some abuse at times.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
totally different mate. Cristiano wasn't racially abused. The worst he got was homophobic slurs, which are right up there with racism to be sure, but also, if you aren't yourself LGBTQ+ those kind of insults are much easier to shrug off since they don't actually hit you personally. In the same way chants of monkey don't hit a white person the same as they hit a PoC

Vini started reacting to the stands after the first incidents of racial abuse. Once that happens, unless you've been in his shoes it's impossible to follow his thought process(not sure about the wording here. What i mean is only someone who experienced racism can identify how that might affect a person long term). Notice how there was no such frenzy around him last season either, nor was he this agitated

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@carvajal @CampNou

Just out of curiosity, what have you experienced in English-speaking countries you've visited/lived in to state you found more racism there? I live in one and I think the environment in that sense is good enough even though I have friends who have suffered some abuse at times.
Writing on this topic is like walking and trying not to step on eggs but...
In Ireland the "go to your own country" was a daily occurrence, especially with Bengalis and Poles. Often bad people who took advantage of their large numbers to intimidate.
As I say few people but they were very vocal.
I remember in Cork a couple of clubs with "Irish only" on the door.
In England (Gloucester)we were also struck by the fact that there were clubs where there were only whites and another one for blacks and more or less both considered that the other place was not for them. Older white people who, looking for supposed complicity with you, would say something rude against blacks, Pakistanis, Poles, Albanians, etc. And in general the feeling that some places are for whites and others are not.
But in any case, and I insist, a minority.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

That's the issue, the threshold of what is considered racist is spain is much higher than where it is in other countries, hence the fact that some spanish posters here don't realize how upalling what Vinicius went through is. Minorities being explicit is actually a sign of progress, it means they know their voices will be heard. There's the same struggle in some states in the USA where nothing it's racist and the right wing is trying to tell people that racism exist because minorities talk to much about it.

The fact that Tebas is confortably sitting in his chair considering that he openly supports the far right and that he used to belong to a group that promoted a revival of Franco's ideas show that spanish people don't care. In england, germany, france etc. it would be an outrage. But in spain it's just being kept quiet.

Hostekule

It's so obvious how these racists are allowed to continue like this with the amount of people justifying or minimizing the impact of these chants. If you're not black yourself, try to educate yourself. Are they attacking him based
on his skin colour? That's racism. Done.
No ifs or buts. Anyone trying to defend it are just as bad as the racists chanting in my opinion. How dare you talk about anglo-obsession with race in this context? I understand it can be hard to accept that you live in, and that you're part of, a racist culture, but at least you're not subject to that racism.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think it's not really helpful to talk about 'English-speaking countries'. I know that started with @CampNou, not with you, but as to why it's unhelpful: first, there are huge differences between these countries, and also within each one of them. It's a general brush that is not very meaningful as such. (E.g., you talked about Ireland, and what you've seen there sounds absolutely nothing like what I see in my area of Canada - not that it's perfect, but it's nowhere near like that!)

And second, it seems to me @CampNou brought up English-speaking countries because we're on an anglophone forum, as a kind of whataboutism. ('How dare you anglos criticize Spain, your countries are much worse!') But there are people here from all over the world, so 'people from English-speaking countries' was never a relevant group to respond to in the first place.

RoyH1

The takes of some Barsa fans....yikes...If your hate for Madrid makes you want to downplay the disgraceful, revolting racial abuse Vinicius suffers every time he plays away in Spain....best to stay out of this thread with some shitty takes. It was Mestalla and not the Nou Camp after all.

Big Ray

It's so obvious how these racists are allowed to continue like this with the amount of people justifying or minimizing the impact of these chants. If you're not black yourself, try to educate yourself. Are they attacking him based
on his skin colour? That's racism. Done.
No ifs or buts. Anyone trying to defend it are just as bad as the racists chanting in my opinion. How dare you talk about anglo-obsession with race in this context? I understand it can be hard to accept that you live in, and that you're part of, a racist culture, but at least you're not subject to that racism.
Brilliantly put.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I think it's not really helpful to talk about 'English-speaking countries'. I know that started with @CampNou, not with you, but as to why it's unhelpful: first, there are huge differences between these countries, and also within each one of them. It's a general brush that is not very meaningful as such. (E.g., you talked about Ireland, and what you've seen there sounds absolutely nothing like what I see in my area of Canada - not that it's perfect, but it's nowhere near like that!)

And second, it seems to me @CampNou brought up English-speaking countries because we're on an anglophone forum, as a kind of whataboutism. ('How dare you anglos criticize Spain, your countries are much worse!') But there are people here from all over the world, so 'people from English-speaking countries' was never a relevant group to respond to in the first place.
Sorry, you are right. Anyway he is replying to a comment that refers specifically to non-English countries.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Im sorry that people have to go through all this nonsense in 2023. It’s nuts that we even have to discuss it. It should be eradicated already. 2023. Not 1963. Bloody hell.
We have came a long way but let not kid ourselves, Spain feels like we were even as late as 1993.
Ex black players will tell you of the shocking abuse they received in the 80s and 90s.
We made it a social issue as well as criminal so racists would be condemned by their fellow supporters. That is why it stopped in the UK.
Until Spain and countries with similar issues do the same, nothing will change.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
We have came a long way but let not kid ourselves, Spain feels like we were even as late as 1993.
Ex black players will tell you of the shocking abuse they received in the 80s and 90s.
We made it a social issue as well as criminal so racists would be condemned by their fellow supporters. That is why it stopped in the UK.
Agree with everything else except the bolded part. Unfortunately it hasn’t stopped in the UK.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Did you forget what happened to Rashford after your EL defeat two years ago, what happened to him and Saka after your Euros defeat, what happened to Ivan Toney last year and three months ago, how Son was subject to a racist gesture from the Palace crowd literally two weeks ago?

You might indeed have come a long way but please do not kid yourself that racism is gone from your society, especially amongst football fans. And that's not meant to be condescending by the way - the same happens in Belgium on a monthly basis, and Italy, Spain, you name it.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Agree with everything else except the bolded part. Unfortunately it hasn’t stopped in the UK.
Surely you can tell by the context of my post that I am talking about racist chanting specifically at the grounds.
I would say that that has stopped apart from very isolated incidents that are publicised and widely condemned when they occur.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
totally different mate. Cristiano wasn't racially abused. The worst he got was homophobic slurs, which are right up there with racism to be sure, but also, if you aren't yourself LGBTQ+ those kind of insults are much easier to shrug off since they don't actually hit you personally. In the same way chants of monkey don't hit a white person the same as they hit a PoC

Vini started reacting to the stands after the first incidents of racial abuse. Once that happens, unless you've been in his shoes it's impossible to follow his thought process(not sure about the wording here. What i mean is only someone who experienced racism can identify how that might affect a person long term). Notice how there was no such frenzy around him last season either, nor was he this agitated
This is spot on bro.