Vinicius Junior

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Really ? What he's done at his age and keeps doing is really incredible to me
That is very strange. But i guess he only starts for a average team like Real Madrid. Where he only scored 17 goals and had 13 assists in their titel winning season. Only had 4 goals, 7 assists in the CL and scored the winner in the CL final

This season he plays for that same average Real Madrid with 4 goals and 1 assist in 6 games and 1 goal and 1 assists in 2 cl games.

Needs to do better to be a top player. Bulking up and a loan would be good for him i think....
Im not questioning his talent in relation to his age. I simply wouldnt call him a top top player just yet. Give it two more seasons.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Discussing racism with Spanish people is... Very strange. What they deem acceptable because of culture or education is rooted in arrogance and ignorance, and it's very hard to explain why some practices that are so obviously offensive shouldn't be tolerated. Fyi this isn't from "a conversation with a Spanish guy 15 years ago", I've been living in Spain for 4 years now. It's not rampant or anything (apart probably in Vox circles and the likes), but there is definitely an issue globally speaking.

One of my Spanish colleagues turned up to the Christmas party in blackface (dressed up as one of the Wise Men... the irony), for instance, and other Spanish colleagues didn't see the issue in it.
It's not possible for them to see any issue there because since their childhood they have probably seen one every year during Christmas in their own local town at the so called "Cabalgata de los Reyes Magos".

Last edited:

Stadjer

Discussing racism with Spanish people is... Very strange. What they deem acceptable because of culture or education is rooted in arrogance and ignorance, and it's very hard to explain why some practices that are so obviously offensive shouldn't be tolerated. Fyi this isn't from "a conversation with a Spanish guy 15 years ago", I've been living in Spain for 4 years now. It's not rampant or anything (apart probably in Vox circles and the likes), but there is definitely an issue globally speaking.

One of my Spanish colleagues turned up to the Christmas party in blackface (dressed up as one of the Wise Men... the irony), for instance, and other Spanish colleagues didn't see the issue in it.
I dont know why this discussion is in the Vincicius Junior thread but that last part isnt so bad as in people not getting it or seeing why it could be a issue for people. There are many examples of that last part.

Here in the Netherlands we have Sinterklaas as a tradition. Its basically the Dutch Santa. A white man who comes from Spain with presents for the children and his helpers are all blackface. There has been a nation wide discussion about it for years now, people have blockaded highways, thrown bricks through windows of people/groups that dont agree with blackface and grown ups were rioting and fighting during the Sinterklaas parade near little kids. There are some videos where little kids are trying to stop their parents from fighting :houllier:

mu4c_20le

I never knew about Sinterklaas until that Atlanta episode, and I still thought it was made up.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Among the new generation, he is easily among my top 5.
I agree, in the top five. I would even put him third, behind Haaland and Mbappe. His champions league and his goal in the final definitely elevated him.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I dont know why this discussion is in the Vincicius Junior thread but that last part isnt so bad as in people not getting it or seeing why it could be a issue for people. There are many examples of that last part.

Here in the Netherlands we have Sinterklaas as a tradition. Its basically the Dutch Santa. A white man who comes from Spain with presents for the children and his helpers are all blackface. There has been a nation wide discussion about it for years now, people have blockaded highways, thrown bricks through windows of people/groups that dont agree with blackface and grown ups were rioting and fighting during the Sinterklaas parade near little kids. There are some videos where little kids are trying to stop their parents from fighting :houllier:
You don't see why its an issue to dress up in blackface?

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
He's top 2 LW in the world, only behind Mbappe.

Tallis

Im not questioning his talent in relation to his age. I simply wouldnt call him a top top player just yet. Give it two more seasons.
I think he is approaching the big 3 category alongside Haaland and Mbappe.

Conor

It's not possible for them to see any issue there because since their childhood they have probably seen one every year during Christmas in their own local town at the so called "Cabalgata de los Reyes Magos".
Are Spanish people not able to evolve in the way that others are? There is plenty of stuff I've heard and seen in Ireland over the last 30 years that is clearly unacceptable to me now(when it wasn't at the time), but it seems like every time we have these conversations on this forum, there is a large Spanish contingent that just makes excuses for why things aren't racist, instead of just moving with the times. Similar posts from Italians too.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
If a black person from the United States arrives in Spain, where they are used to calling them a person of color or Afro-American, and a Spaniard labels him black and the person is also offended, now do we Spaniards have to change our way of speaking? Whoever comes to Spain or another country must integrate into our culture, not the Spanish change our way of speaking because those who come from abroad have another. I have several friends from Senegal and if you call them people of color they get very angry and tell you to call me black, which is what I am. But to an American I will be racist.
If you call them black, people of color, or whatever, while also comparing them to a monkey and telling them to feck off to their country because of the way they dance. Then it's something super offensive with a lot of racist and xenophobic connotations all over it.

The way I see it this more like the equivalent of confronting someone if they start talking in a foreign language while also giving them crap about how they need to adapt to our culture.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
As a player it’s rather interesting because it’s somewhat unlike Madrid to sign a young player, give him 3 full seasons to develop and him then become a mainstay in the 4th — he obviously exploded into a top player last season but the season just before last he got 3 goals and 3 assists in 22 starts and 13 sub appearances.
We've been doing that a lot recently but Vinicius stands out because of how persistent and hardworking he has been and how surprising his improvement was last season. One of the reasons was we were saving some money for Mbappe and having few additions in the attack since Ronaldo left but with other young players we tend to try them for a season or two, see if they work out and if not move them on rather quick.

Vinicius has demostrated to have a top mentality, there is a lot of pressure if you're a starter for Real Madrid and don't deliver. At one point there were videos of him being criticized by his own teammates but he didn't sulk and never gave up. So I think is his mentality that has helped him reach his current level and is something not all players have.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Are Spanish people not able to evolve in the way that others are? There is plenty of stuff I've heard and seen in Ireland over the last 30 years that is clearly unacceptable to me now(when it wasn't at the time), but it seems like every time we have these conversations on this forum, there is a large Spanish contingent that just makes excuses for why things aren't racist, instead of just moving with the times. Similar posts from Italians too.
I believe that for this particular case it is necessary to strictly analyze the two radically different phenomena we are referring to.

Your country Ireland belongs to the Anglosphere. It shares language and traditions with United States and Britain, where black face was mostly used to portray a caricature of a black person. The connotations of such an act are therefore very well circumscribed.

The Cabalgatas originated around the same era with no connection with United States and Britain whatsoever. The main purpose was to play the role of King Balthazar, who by the way is the favorite out of the three Wise Men among most kids. Since it was impossible to find people with the same race to play that role, the actors had no option other than painting their faces so the tradition remained.

The main difference is in Britain and United States the custom was to mock black people, whereas in countries with Cabalgatas, Balthazar is admired and loved. Cultural colonialism from United States is huge pretty much everywhere but luckily or unluckily (depending on the stuff they import) they do not influence every country the same way.

To me this a completely different case to Pedro Bravo using expressions like "making the monkey" or "go back to Brazil". And obviously radically different to those disgusting Atletico fans singing "Vinicius, you are a monkey" out of the stadium.

Conor

I believe that for this particular case it is necessary to strictly analyze the two radically different phenomena we are referring to.

Your country Ireland belongs to the Anglosphere. It shares language and traditions with United States and Britain, where black face was mostly used to portray a caricature of a black person. The connotations of such an act are therefore very well circumscribed.

The Cabalgatas originated around the same era with no connection with United States and Britain whatsoever. The main purpose was to play the role of King Balthazar, who by the way is the favorite out of the three Wise Men among most kids. Since it was impossible to find people with the same race to play that role, the actors had no option other than painting their faces so the tradition remained.

The main difference is in Britain and United States the custom was to mock black people, whereas in countries with Cabalgatas, Balthazar is admired and loved. Cultural colonialism from United States is huge pretty much everywhere but luckily or unluckily (depending on the stuff they import) they do not influence every country the same way.

To me this a completely different case to Pedro Bravo using expressions like "making the monkey" or "go back to Brazil". And obviously radically different to those disgusting Atletico fans singing "Vinicius, you are a monkey" out of the stadium.
Essentially every black person I've ever heard discuss the issue of people painting their faces to portray a black person has had an issue with it. It doesn't matter where it originated from, or in what context it is done, the majority of black people today do not agree with it. Every instance of 'blackface' in the history of the 'anglosphere' was not done to mock black people, either.

NotThatSoph

You can discuss any topic, in a polite, aseptic, assertive way... But when people insult you, tag you, denigrate you and give absurd arguments and behave childishly because you're going to keep debating?
Harsh language and ridicule is a staple of Redcafe culture, and has been so for around 20 years. Maybe you haven't integrated yet because you're new?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I agree, in the top five. I would even put him third, behind Haaland and Mbappe. His champions league and his goal in the final definitely elevated him.
I’d agree too. Although I also rate Pedri highly, so either him or Pedri for me.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Even aside from all that, the simple fact of the matter is the reigning Spanish and European champions run their entire attack through him, and it works so well we're the reigning Spanish and European champions

I get where you're coming from but there's been backlash over that within Spain as well. Nowadays people in Spain tend to know that is offensive, regardless of tradition or intent. Where they can communities try to get an actual black man to play the role. The problem is they don't care enough not to do it anyways

Even Iniesta did it ffs

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
As a player it’s rather interesting because it’s somewhat unlike Madrid to sign a young player, give him 3 full seasons to develop and him then become a mainstay in the 4th — he obviously exploded into a top player last season but the season just before last he got 3 goals and 3 assists in 22 starts and 13 sub appearances.
Covid helped, not gonna lie

Handré1990

Essentially every black person I've ever heard discuss the issue of people painting their faces to portray a black person has had an issue with it. It doesn't matter where it originated from, or in what context it is done, the majority of black people today do not agree with it. Every instance of 'blackface' in the history of the 'anglosphere' was not done to mock black people, either.
Good answer. GatoLoco seems like a hood bloke, but he just underlined the point he was answering to. Where do we draw the line? «It’s a term of endearment I tells ya!»

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I agree that societies should evolve if part of the population find some customs offensive. It is a matter of sensitivity.

However, it's important to remark that context and origins are important to explain why certain developments are made at different pace. Since you made a question about that specific matter (evolving of a specific society) in one of your posts, I thought my answer was informative and provided a new focus a big majority of people didn't know about.

Now many societies are changing at big pace due to the new characteristics of the inmigration and the eclosion of Internet which is the most important tool to spread new ideas worldwide. While Internet was developed at the same time in most countries in the western world, the characteristics of the inmigration and the initial connotations were completely different, so that may help explain why the changes are different too.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
It's because it wasn't the plan, Hazard was supposed to start, Vinicius benefited greatly from Hazard being injured/bad. Good for him.

I'm still not convinced he's a top player.
I'm the same and I can't shake it. He obviously put outsanding numbers last season and seems to continue (especially in the CL because in la liga, we've seen players like Sarabia having comparable performance sheets and he's obviously not a top player) but I just can't see him as an elite player and feel his good spell could end at any time. It's just a feeling though, there's no tangible explanation. The WC will be a good start since he's been pretty disapointing with his NT so far, then the big test will be how he fares in a different sytstem without Benzema.

TOKUGAWA-X

He has surprised me over last few months no doubt but i still think its because he plays for an Ancelotti machine, a group of players that has a huge amount of luck and a winning mentality.

In my opinion Vini Jr is just another Mane.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I just wish his name was Vicinius Junior. It rolls off the tongue better.

Charles Miller

According to Espn Brasil members of a spanish show called El Chiringuito tried to convince Vinicius to not release a video talking about the racists comments from Pedro Bravo in that program, because this would "make them look bad."

At some point the members of the Chiringuito threatened Vinicius staff saying they would destroy him if he insists on doing the video. Apparently after Atleti x Real Madrid they started a campaign against Vinicius in the program.

My prediction: the player will be in the market very soon.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
According to Espn Brasil members of a spanish show called El Chiringuito tried to convince Vinicius to not release a video talking about the racists comments from Pedro Bravo in that program, because this would "make them look bad."

At some point the members of the Chiringuito threatened Vinicius staff saying they would destroy him if he insists on doing the video. Apparently after Atleti x Real Madrid they started a campaign against Vinicius in the program.

You think a few racists idiots from the dumbest spanish channel will make him leave the biggest club in the world ?

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona

Spanish people forget very quickly. If nothing happened when the audios of Florentino Pérez talking shit about a bunch of Real Madrid legends and how he controls the media were revealed, then don't expect much to happen now.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
He is the Golden Boy of Madrid. His contract extension was top priority this season. Perez is very aware of how getting rid of Vini for speaking out against racism, would impact Madrid’s image in markets like the US. He is going nowhere.

Bwuk

So, world class and of the best wing forwards in the world?
Agreed. He's not long scored the winning goal in the Champions League final ffs.

I love Vinicius. He's superb.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Yes, it is odd. I've worked with a few Spaniards over here and the stuff that we have evolved in the UK to understand as not okay to say anymore in the workplace i.e referring to someone as your Pakistani Friend (But shortened) etc., they didn't understand why it wasn't fine to reference like that. They were from different regions of Spain too so it wasn't like it was a city specific issue.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Nope. What will happen is El Chiringuito will change a lot of their personnel after Florentino is through with them

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

No.

Real Madrid released a statement condemning racists comments against Vinicius.

One of the journalists (Inaki Angulo) informing about this Chiringuito-Vinicius clash is said to be close to Real Madrid.

El Chiringuito is meaningless compared to Vinicius. They wish they had the power to influence so much in the world of football.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Yes, it is odd. I've worked with a few Spaniards over here and the stuff that we have evolved in the UK to understand as not okay to say anymore in the workplace i.e referring to someone as your Pakistani Friend (But shortened) etc., they didn't understand why it wasn't fine to reference like that. They were from different regions of Spain too so it wasn't like it was a city specific issue.
Understanding that such expression is offensive in UK is extremely simple once it is explained. It is what it is. If some people do not understand they have an issue no matter their nationality.

Referring the the city of origin in Spain to explain the issue is 100% irrelevant, as that expression you mention is not used anywhere in Spain at all.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Understanding that such expression is offensive in UK is extremely simple once it is explained. It is what it is. If some people do not understand they have an issue no matter their nationality.

Referring the the city of origin in Spain to explain the issue is 100% irrelevant, as that expression you mention is not used anywhere in Spain at all.
I was more pointing to the fact and using that as an example to how racism issues in Spain are seen differently than in other countries. There are other examples but that was the first from the top of my head.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I was more pointing to the fact and using that as an example to how racism issues in Spain are seen differently than in other countries. There are other examples but that was the first from the top of my head.
I get your point but since I am not inside your head I can only comment on the anecdotal experience you share, not the one you do not share. If you tell someone that an expression is offensive and that person does not understand that, it is quite likely that person is a misguided idiot in many areas of life not just one.