Virgil van Dijk | OFFICIAL: Liverpool agree £75m fee (£70m upfront) with Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Yes it does ignore the Lovren/Moreno/Clyne fees but the same would be true for most big clubs with big squads. Liverpool have needed to spend on some quality for a while now, even with VVD they're still quite a way behind Utd's defensive outlay for example (I appreciate not all of these were signed as defenders):

Smalling 12m
Jones 17m
Bailly 30m
Rojo 16m
Lindelof 30m
Young 17m
Valencia 16m
Shaw 30m
Blind 14m
Darmian 12.5m

£194.5m spent there.

Now Liverpool's (including VVD).

Van Dijk 75m
Matip 0m
Robertson 10m
Gomez 3.5m
Milner 0
Moreno 12m
Lovren 20m
Klavan 4m
TAA 0
Clyne 12.5m

£137m for that.

As a neutral with no real pro Liverpool/Utd bias, for me it's a signing they needed to make to close the gap on you guys, City and Chelsea. Klopp seemed pretty adamant in the summer that it was VVD or noone so he obviously thinks he's worth the outlay, and even given the massive fee, it still puts their spend in and around the teams they are competing with.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
This deal makes me think somebody should throw money at Umtiti. I reckon he'll be the best CB in the world within a year or two and his release clause according to a few outlets is only around £52m and he's apparently on £75k a week... doubt Barcelona have the money to sort him out a new deal anytime soon either, x2.5 his wages and he might think about downgrading!

BaneIsPain

Here I thought Stones £50mil fee is still expensive. Sure Van Dijk is good player but for £75mil? I have my doubts there

Last edited by a moderator:

ROFLUTION

I know the market is insane but this is close to Lukaku money who we paid 75m gbp for before 15m bonusses.

When you Consider how few top players in the World available like Lukaku then VVD seems a bit steep when there are similar players of that quality. He's just a good player but no Maldini. Also when defenders have mostly not been sold for same prices as attacking players.. must be Coutinhomoney

Thecarrickfan_2016

I'm seeing people compare him to Ferdinand, Oh dear, The latter was a world-class defender with us, Van Dijk has a long way to go yet.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I understand why they made his move. More than any other top European league having an aerially dominant CB is a big advantage in the PL. Especially dealing with the mid table and lower sides. And Van Dijk when in form is the best CB in the league in terms of aerial ability. He also has the pace to play in a high line and good enough on the ball to start attacks. This was the best CB they could possibly acquire so it makes sense why they paid such a steep price for him.

United Pro

This deal makes me think somebody should throw money at Umtiti. I reckon he'll be the best CB in the world within a year or two and his release clause according to a few outlets is only around £52m and he's apparently on £75k a week... doubt Barcelona have the money to sort him out a new deal anytime soon either, x2.5 his wages and he might think about downgrading!
Bailly edges Umtiti for me, but he's still a cracking CB.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
He is one (expensive) piece of a very big puzzle. We're not going to match City's form in the second half of the season and we're not suddenly the best team outside of the Etihad. We still have a glaring weakness behind our defenders and until we get a new keeper, we'll keep on dropping balls... sorry, points!
That said, I cant help but be excited about the ambition that we're finally showing in the transfer market. Nothing is guaranteed but buying out of the bargain bin will only work for so long. Eventually you have to buy a player that is a sure starting 11 player. VVD, Keita and Firmino give us a very strong spine. A few tweaks here and there (and did I mention a new keeper?) and we are looking good going forward

TheReligion

Abusive
I understand why they made his move. More than any other top European league having an aerially dominant CB is a big advantage in the PL. Especially dealing with the mid table and lower sides. And Van Dijk when in form is the best CB in the league in terms of aerial ability. He also has the pace to play in a high line and good enough on the ball to start attacks. This was the best CB they could possibly acquire so it makes sense why they paid such a steep price for him.
You're massively overrating him in my honest opinion. He's a good player but not even the best CB in the league. He's worth about half the fee paid and that's being kind. He's also 27 and has developed all he is likely to do so.

Stones at 50m was ridiculous but at least City were paying a premium for potential. VVD will improve them in general but not to the extent a world record defender should.

The Bloody-Nine

You watch a lot of Southampton, huh?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
You're massively overrating him in my honest opinion. He's a good player but not even the best CB in the league. He's worth about half the fee paid and that's being kind. He's also 27 and has developed all he is likely to do so.

Stones at 50m was ridiculous but at least City were paying a premium for potential. VVD will improve them in general but not to the extent a world record defender should.
I never called him the Best CB in the league overall he is just the best CB Liverpool could possibly acquire.

The Bloody-Nine

I never called him the Best CB in the league overall he is just the best CB Liverpool could possibly acquire.
You are aware of every centreback in the world and have decided that he is the best Liverpool could sign? I bow to your knowledge.

TheReligion

Abusive
So that means they should pay massively over the odds for him?

Guaranteed if City or Chelsea had been prepared to pay that fee he goes to either one ahead of Liverpool. Fact is no one else is daft enough to pay that kind of money for such a player. At least when United signed Pogba and PSG Neymar they knew they were getting young exceptional talent. 75m for a 27 year old who is yet to play at the highest level?

Dobbs

Apart from VVD no. Andy Carroll will have signed for us 7 years ago next Jan for 35m from Newcastle. Very poor transfer as it happens.
Keita? £50 million or whatever. Unusual for a club to do that twice in such proximity if it's not expecting a big influx of cash.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
I don't usually post, but feck sake. Who actually cares who Liverpool sign?

I couldn't give a feck tbh. Our priority is winning.

And establishing a front three that can feed Lukaku.

Disclaimer: no actual set front 3 were harmed in the making of this post.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Bailly edges Umtiti for me, but he's still a cracking CB.
I think Bailly is probably physically more dominant and looks a potentially great front-foot defender with his aggressiveness and strength in the tackle, I just feel like Umtiti probably reads the game a bit better or at least is more consistently focused and composed, sometimes Bailly looks like he switches off and sometimes he can be a bit rash. Umtiti is much better on the ball as well, which is obviously an increasingly important part of a CB's role these days.

Still, both are quality players already with even greater potential, I'm sure they'll both be there or there abouts in the discussion of best CB in the not to distant future. Considering Umtiti cost Barca only £25m 18 months ago and Bailly was only roughly £30m, they both look like they're gonna turn out to be bargains.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
They could either try to find another cheap fix like Matip or they could break the bank for the guy they truly want. They went with the latter here.

United Pro

I think Bailly is probably physically more dominant and looks a potentially great front-foot defender with his aggressiveness and strength in the tackle, I just feel like Umtiti probably reads the game a bit better or at least is more consistently focused and composed, sometimes Bailly looks like he switches off and sometimes he can be a bit rash. Umtiti is much better on the ball as well, which is obviously an increasingly important part of a CB's role these days.

Still, both are quality players already with even greater potential, I'm sure they'll both be there or there abouts in the discussion of best CB in the not to distant future. Considering Umtiti cost Barca only £25m 18 months ago and Bailly was only roughly £30m, they both look like they're gonna turn out to be bargains.
Yeah I agree. Umtiti is better on the ball and is less raw, while Bailly is more physical and it is very difficult to get past him in a 1v1 situation. Both signings look like bargains, given their ages and transfer fees.

Dogaholic

Who is the Bailey bloke? Always injured. Has he played more than 3 games for us?

Andersons Dietician

Guy was arguably the best defender in the Prem just last season. Kinda a weird season when his nearest competitor was Side show bob(David Luis) putting together a decent team with Keita coming in and rumours of Aubemyang.

The Bloody-Nine

You did not really answer me either. Who else could they have signed that would be better than him?
I have no idea. I haven't extensively scouted centrebacks the world over, unlike yourself. That said, I'm pretty sure £75 million could get you a better defender than a guy from Southampton.

Now, again, how often do you watch Southampton play?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fantastic deal. Well done Soton. They'll improve now.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
I'm seeing people compare him to Ferdinand, Oh dear, The latter was a world-class defender with us, Van Dijk has a long way to go yet.
I think the comparison just goes as far as the transfer fees for a defender. Not skill level. 30 million in 2002 was considered astronomical for a defender. Same reaction today for 75m for, guess what, a Defender.

The Bloody-Nine

I think the comparison just goes as far as the transfer fees for a defender. Not skill level. 30 million in 2002 was considered astronomical for a defender. Same reaction today for 75m for, guess what, a Defender.
Transfer fees are intrinsically linked to skill levels, ffs.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He surely expected to join them in the summer. Effectively he has been in limbo for 5 or so months and his few appearances has shown that

Hopefully it’ll take him a while to get back to his best. I expect him to become a good singing for them and we will probably forget about the fee.

Besides we are now at a point in transfer fees where it really doesn’t fecking matter as long as they do well

If they add a decent keeper and another very good defender in the summer....next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.