Virgil van Dijk | OFFICIAL: Liverpool agree £75m fee (£70m upfront) with Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
Transfer fees are intrinsically linked to skill levels, ffs.
Thanks genius. Apparently I didn't know that. :rolleyes: Take off those manc glasses and read the comparisons. I haven't read ANYWHERE that said VVD has the same talent level as Ferdinand.

By that logic, the quoted Dybala for 60 million (From the Independent) is less talented than your Lukaku for 75 million? Really? David Luiz came for 34 million. Stones for 50 million. Davinson Sanchez was 42 million. Lindeloff for 30 million?

Last edited:

criticalanalysis

F*ck me sideways, £70m+ :houllier:

Still, all said, it is a good buy for them. As a Utd fan and football follower, I need to get past the 'omg value for our club' and just say 'feck it, let's buy quality and therefore trophies'.

The Bloody-Nine

Thanks genius. Apparently I didn't know that. :rolleyes: Take off those manc glasses and read the comparisons. I haven't read ANYWHERE that said VVD has the same talent level as Ferdinand.
Then why did you say this?

I think the comparison just goes as far as the transfer fees for a defender. Not skill level. 30 million in 2002 was considered astronomical for a defender. Same reaction today for 75m for, guess what, a Defender.

The Bloody-Nine

By that logic, the quoted Dybala for 60 million is less talented than your Lukaku? Really? David Luiz came for 50 million. Equally talented as Stones? Really? Davinson Sanchez was 30 some million. Same talent as Lindeloff?
I missed your edit. You just made up some transfer fees. What a worthy addition to the forum you are.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
Then why did you say this?
Did you read my previous post? That that comparisons were only on the amount paid for a defender and not like for like?

That was in your response to "transfer fees are intrinsically linked to skill levels, ffs". Most comparisons I've read have said, he "could" reach those levels. LONG ways to go to get to Rio's level.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
I missed your edit. You just made up some transfer fees. What a worthy addition to the forum you are.
If I made them up, I apologize. Most of those figures I got from threads on this site here. And what worthy additions have your manc tinted glasses made?

salford_

as an out and out CB, one on one defending etc Alderweireld, Azpilicueta, Vertonghen possibly, Bailly, to name a few are better. VVD advantage is he is good with the ball. The fee will always be talked about because, rightly so, people think its mental. I refuse to believe a single Lpool supporter thinks hes worth anywhere near it.

The Bloody-Nine

If I made them up, I apologize. Most of those figures I got from threads on this site here. And what worthy additions have your manc tinted glasses made?
I'm a man of respect around here. They love me around here, I'm a swell guy.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
I understand why they made his move. More than any other top European league having an aerially dominant CB is a big advantage in the PL. Especially dealing with the mid table and lower sides. And Van Dijk when in form is the best CB in the league in terms of aerial ability. He also has the pace to play in a high line and good enough on the ball to start attacks. This was the best CB they could possibly acquire so it makes sense why they paid such a steep price for him.
This guy gets it ^
We need a playmaking defender to dominate in the air and start attacks from the back by carrying the ball or counter attacks by having good long range passing ability..
Van Dijk ticks all those boxes

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I think the comparison just goes as far as the transfer fees for a defender. Not skill level. 30 million in 2002 was considered astronomical for a defender. Same reaction today for 75m for, guess what, a Defender.
Heard Carragher talking about the comparison between the two earlier and it made sense. Getting 10+ years out of a defender like we did with Ferdinand was worth it. Rio was three years younger when he signed for us though. Carragher talked about van Dijk being at Liverpool for the next 10 years but that would take him to 37. How many defenders have been at a top club in the PL at that age? Ferdinand was declining and joined QPR at 35, Terry was 36 when he left Chelsea and Carragher was 35 when he retired. I guess 7 years would be a good run but I just can't picture him being at Liverpool for longer than that as by then you'll be looking for another CB.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We got laughed at in the summer after messing this one up. People saying we’d never get him etc.

Now there’s people laughing because we actually got the deal done.

I can’t think of a better CB who is available right now and actually wants to join Liverpool. It’s about time we spent big on improving the defence (VVD is a huge upgrade on Klavan and Lovren).

There’s still an organisational problem that needs to be addressed and Mignolet needs to be replaced ASAP, but I’m happy that we’ve spent big on a player that is better than anyone else we have in his position.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
as an out and out CB, one on one defending etc Alderweireld, Azpilicueta, Vertonghen possibly, Bailly, to name a few are better. VVD advantage is he is good with the ball. The fee will always be talked about because, rightly so, people think its mental. I refuse to believe a single Lpool supporter thinks hes worth anywhere near it.
Go on rawk. And prepare yourself....

The Bloody-Nine

We got laughed at in the summer after messing this one up. People saying we’d never get him etc.

I can’t think of a better CB who is available right now and actually wants to join Liverpool. It’s about time we spent big on improving the defence (VVD is a huge upgrade on Klavan and Lovren).

There’s still an organisational problem that needs to be addressed and Mignolet needs to be replaced ASAP, but I’m happy that we’ve spent big on a player that is better than anyone else we have in his position.
To be fair, you were laughed at because you genuinely DID f*ck it up in the summer. Just a clown show from start to finish.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
To be fair, you were laughed at because you genuinely DID f*ck it up in the summer. Just a clown show from start to finish.
Yeah but no one would’ve cared if we’d messed up signing someone like Klavan though.

It’s funnier when it’s a decent player that would improve that side.

The Bloody-Nine

Yeah but no one would’ve cared if we’d messed up signing someone like Klavan though.

It’s funnier when it’s a decent player that would improve that side.
It was funny because your club tapped up a player (and leaked it to the press) and were reported, leading to a cringeworthy public apology.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Skeptical over how he'll be for them. I've always kinda believed that defences are built through tactics and systems a lot more then offences are. Like obviously individual skill comes into it a lot, but I think Klopps system leaves them extremely vulnerable for the most part so they're bound to make mistakes. Van dijk will obviously improve them, but it's the type of thing where they won't ever have a defence you feel fully confident in because of Klopps style.

Hawks2008

Fair play to them, it's a glaring weakness in their squad and they spent the money on what the manager wanted.

Roeindo

Skeptical over how he'll be for them. I've always kinda believed that defences are built through tactics and systems a lot more then offences are. Like obviously individual skill comes into it a lot, but I think Klopps system leaves them extremely vulnerable for the most part so they're bound to make mistakes. Van dijk will obviously improve them, but it's the type of thing where they won't ever have a defence you feel fully confident in because of Klopps style.
You mean like "park the bus" tactic and system to stop goals coming?

Actually, klopp just using their strenght in attack, while other manager will limited their attacking player with a hell of defensive duties and robotic diciplines.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Does Lukaku even get the service other top strikers are getting? Is he supported by real wingers?
What's a real winger? Martial is having a very good season. Gifting goals to the opposition and being generally poor has nothing to do with service either.

haram

You mean like "park the bus" tactic and system to stop goals coming?

Actually, klopp just using their strenght in attack, while other manager will limited their attacking player with a hell of defensive duties and robotic diciplines.
No, good defending isn't just about "parking the bus".

Acquire Me

Crazy price for a good premier league defender. He should be a excellent player for that price. Liverpool fecked up, he is not a world class defender. Bailey is twice the player.

haram

It was funny because you got caught tapping him up. Now its funny because you paid £75 million.

DdeGoat

Great buy for Liverpool. Their team will improve a lot with the addition of Van Dyk and Keita. One of the best CB's available in the market. They will be a force next season, with or without Coutinho. If they add a good GK and a good defensive midfielder, I would start to get worried.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Crazy price for a good premier league defender. He should be a excellent player for that price. Liverpool fecked up, he is not a world class defender. Bailey is twice the player.
One of those who believe your transfer stories, do you know anything about our transfer activity?

prateik

Bonucci went for 40m, didnt he?
Its crazy money.. and he is a good defender, but not exactly in the top tier (unless he makes a step up playing for a better side)

But if Liverpool can afford it, who cares? Talking about the fees is pointless.

Needham

I know the market is insane but this is close to Lukaku money who we paid 75m gbp for before 15m bonusses.
When you Consider how few top players in the World available like Lukaku then VVD seems a bit steep when there are similar players of that quality. He's just a good player but no Maldini. Also when defenders have mostly not been sold for same prices as attacking players.. must be Coutinhomoney
Jury's out on whether Lukaku is a "top player in the world". Doubt he's anywhere close. 75 million is the new 30 million it seems.

DdeGoat

Another reason why Football has gone mad. Should we all stop caring about the prices for players now?
We, as fan, should, unless the club is on the risk of going into administration.

I think clubs execs worry more about net spends than paying a ridiculous fees for a single player. City's net spend was less than £120m last season. Spurs paid £42m for a young defender from Ajax and still their net spend was in the plus. Arsenal paid £52m for a striker but still made money. We have spent only £136m & £102m the last two windows, which is less than 30% of our yearly revenue. Liverpool haven't (net) spent much since Klopp arrived and next season can balance the books with sale of Coutinho.

It's all about squad management. There are enough bottom clubs with enough money to sell your players to, to balance the books.

If our budget again is £150m, then with smart player sales we can easily spend £200m-£225m. In addition, seems like free agency is going to become more prominent now. We did well to pick up Zlatan last season. This summer teams can have their pick from the likes of Sanchez, Ozil, Gimenez, Goretzka, Fellaini, Can etc.

Moby

Dick

And you're still gonna be a laughing stock come May for this one. As good as he is he's one defender still surrounded by defensively clueless midfielders and a joke of a goalkeeper. With that price tag looming above him he'd be under huge pressure to perform.

They need defenders but that's a staggering amount for a fairly run of the mill good PL defender, and it's not going to make much difference if Klopp still sets them up to attack with such careless abandon.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
With all the money coming into football from T.V. and rich owners the whole equilibrium has changed. What was once considered crazy money is now normal you either adapt to it or you can be like Arsenal and keep going cheap hoping that your punts turn out to be world class.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
As good as he is he's one defender still surrounded by defensively clueless midfielders and a joke of a goalkeeper. With that price tag looming above him he'd be under huge pressure to perform.
True. Hopefully this is one step in that direction. If he can come in, establish himself as the leader of that defensive unit and be able to yell and organize it, there is some potential. Mind you, we still need a good keeper. Mignolet and Lovren need to be shipped out.

Pacificgi

£75m for a player who wanted out and has barely played this season. Great business by southampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.