Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Enigma_87

You know who
2010 when Torres left him rooted to head home the opening goal though we did win that one 2-1. Vidic rarely had a good game against Liverpool. How many red cards did he pick up against them? I remember three at least.
4 I think from memory. But two of those were in added time?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I’ve always thought that Ferdinand was in a league of his own when it comes to defenders. The rest aren’t as good.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
WHat a load of nonsense. Ramos was part of wininng teams. van Dijk this season has been better than any season Ramos has had in his career.

Ramos makes comical errors almost weekly. If he was in the Prem he would be called David Luiz but because he is Spanish and he scores goals he is WC. BS. Ramos is and never has been WC. I watched this clown since he played as a RB that was getting demolished in La Liga.

vna Dijk is superior at everything related to defending.

Having 6 good games in 60+ games is pathetic.
Ramos has been at top level for more than 10 years. Van Dijk 2 max 3. There isn’t comparison between the 2. Of course VVD now is better but he is hyped beyond belief.

Enigma_87

You know who
Was that the one when he did Sturridge?
If you mean that cnut's horrible dive - yes - was Moyes season too. I recall him having a pretty good string of games against them when he didn't even get booked.

Eddy_JukeZ

2010 when Torres left him rooted to head home the opening goal though we did win that one 2-1. Vidic rarely had a good game against Liverpool. How many red cards did he pick up against them? I remember three at least.
I remember Torres' header, but I don't know if it was Vidic fully at fault. Didn't he come in between Rio and Vidic?

I know Vidic picked up a few red cards against them, but were any directly against Torres?

There's a difference with Vidic always struggled vs Torres vs Vidic rarely had a good game vs Liverpool.

dogwithabone

Nope. Can't agree with that. Rio, Vidic had more world class seasons than him. Would still put him below Campbell, Rio, Vidic and Adams in terms of defensive ability. On par with Terry perhaps.
I don’t agree with that. Terry, in my opinion, is the best defender in PL history. Astonishing how you can put Vidic above Terry.

passing-wind

This guy is an animal, has to be the best defender in world football. He's consistently performing irrespective of who he's up against and is dragging the likes of Matip into victories.

I think Jurgen made a mistake putting Gomes down the flanks he's looked a much better player as a centre half. There's absolutely no chance that this tie is over, Liverpool should have scored at least three goals this evening.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
As far as I’m concerned VVD is as good as Rio or Vidic ever were. You don’t have to have racked up 500 games to be parked alongside those two. He’s played 120 PL games and that’s enough to make a judgement on him.

He’s up alongside Terry, Adams, Campbell and Rio in terms of pure defensive ability. That stat - before tonight - that no one has dribbled past him the entire season is a staggering statistic.

Fantastic footballer.
Agree with the premise that he doesn't need to rack up hundreds of games to deserve consideration among that top group. Him spending a couple of seasons at Southampton has led to delayed recognition of his performance level from some folk. Worth highlighting he was operating at a high level from 2015 there, winning the club's player of the year in his first season, and was in my book quite comfortably the best defender in the league before he joined Liverpool, a position he has further consolidated since.

tomaldinho1

what exactly is a lie? On the replay I've seen Suarez was onside even if VVD disappeared, and it was rather Matip doing nothing to stop the cross than VVD.
VVD could have closed the gap but realistically could only cover the far corner, which is not where the ball went.

If you're saying I'm a liar please bring in some facts to prove your point.

I'm not saying VVD was great today, but he was not poor or at fault for anything particular.
You said Suarez was behind them both. He wasn't. Nothing to do with being onside or offside.

Matip is front post and blind to the run, Suarez comes behind Matip and in front of VVD, VVD is far post and able to watch Suarez the whole way.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don’t agree with that. Terry, in my opinion, is the best defender in PL history. Astonishing how you can put Vidic above Terry.
Twice player of the year in PL. Only Cristiano has 2 and only Kompany won it as a defender besides him.

From 08 till 11(with slight mishaps that all defenders have) he was imperial for us. Many times leading the line in Rio's absense.

There is actual comparison of Van Dijk this season and Vidic's 08/09. The difference in staggering in Vidic favor:

gibers

Twice player of the year in PL. Only Cristiano has 2 and only Kompany won it as a defender besides him.

From 08 till 11(with slight mishaps that all defenders have) he was imperial for us. Many times leading the line in Rio's absense.

There is actual comparison of Van Dijk this season and Vidic's 08/09. The difference in staggering in Vidic favor:

Titus Bramble had 505 clearances that season so I guess that makes him a better player than van Dijk.

I mean, it's just common sense here. The EPL has changed completely. Using stats from over a decade ago when the game and environemtn was completely different is just ridiculous.

Ridiculous.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
As far as I’m concerned VVD is as good as Rio or Vidic ever were. You don’t have to have racked up 500 games to be parked alongside those two. He’s played 120 PL games and that’s enough to make a judgement on him.

He’s up alongside Terry, Adams, Campbell and Rio in terms of pure defensive ability. That stat - before tonight - that no one has dribbled past him the entire season is a staggering statistic.

Fantastic footballer.
He hasn't been at Rio's level for those 120 games though, he's had an amazing 18months at Liverpool and that's it. For as good as he may of been at Southampton anywhere near Rio's level during that time he was not

dogwithabone

Agree with the premise that he doesn't need to rack up hundreds of games to deserve consideration among that top group. Him spending a couple of seasons at Southampton has led to delayed recognition of his performance level from some folk. Worth highlighting he was operating at a high level from 2015 there, winning the club's player of the year in his first season, and was in my book quite comfortably the best defender in the league before he joined Liverpool, a position he has further consolidated since.

Absolutely right. VVD has only carried on this season what he’s been doing the past two seasons at Saints. I saw him (only on TV) at Celtic and he looked ridiculously comfortable every game I saw (admittedly weak opposition) and he carried that on in the PL at Southampton. This is the third consecutive season he’s been the outstanding defender in the PL.

Enigma_87

You know who
Titus Bramble had 505 clearances that season so I guess that makes him a better player than van Dijk.

I mean, it's just common sense here. The EPL has changed completely. Using stats from over a decade ago when the game and environemtn was completely different is just ridiculous.

Ridiculous.
Did Titus Bramble beat him in all paragraphs as well? Vidic was imperial in a side that conceded just 24 goals and went over 1300 mins without conceding a goal in the league. Won LC and played in CL final beaten by most probably the greatest attacking side of all time.

But yeah let's disregard all that because it has been 10 years ago..

Eddy_JukeZ

I still can't believe Vidic didn't win the PFA award in 2008-2009. He was really sensational that season.

Enigma_87

You know who
I still can't believe Vidic didn't win the PFA award in 2008-2009. He was really sensational that season.
Yup.

Sure Vidic had occasional mishaps against pacy and agile forwards in Torres and Eto'o, but Van Dijk hasn't really covered himself in glory tonight for example.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I think you have to highlight a couple of caveats there. First would be their contrasting styles of play, between a fearsome stopper like Vidic and an all-rounder like Van Dijk. Nowhere in that set of statistics does it really measure how well a defender reads the game. You could make a case for 'interceptions' and 'errors leading to goal', but they only measure part of it. The best defenders don't always make the most tackles and generally don't need to go to ground unless they've already made a mistake. It's also worth considering how teams play now compared to then with a significant increase in short possession play and much less back-to-front direct football. And Liverpool/City racking up points records this campaign that means their defenders have had less traditional defending to do.

All of that said, the stats are impressive for Vidic and shows how worthy he was of his PL player of the year award in that season.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yup.

Sure Vidic had occasional mishaps against pacy and agile forwards in Torres and Eto'o, but Van Dijk hasn't really covered himself in glory tonight for example.
Yeah he was arguably at fault for Barca's 1st 2 goals.

Still an amazing defender though, but the praise he gets has been OTT at times IMO.

Jordan_mufc

I can't believe there is a genuine discussion in here comparing Rio to Virgil.

VVD isn't even fit to lace his boots. It's one thing having an excellent season in league full of average teams (VVD) and another being the best centre back about for 6 years + (Rio).

Think of the teams that Rio came up against and absolutely dominated. Let's not be silly now lads

UncleBob

He's a beast of a defender, easily one of the best around these days, don't think he's at the level that Rio, Vidic and Terry were at, not yet at least

Enigma_87

You know who
I think you have to highlight a couple of caveats there. First would be their contrasting styles of play, between a fearsome stopper like Vidic and an all-rounder like Van Dijk. Nowhere in that set of statistics does it really measure how well a defender reads the game. You could make a case for 'interceptions' and 'errors leading to goal', but they only measure part of it. The best defenders don't always make the most tackles and generally don't need to go to ground unless they've already made a mistake. It's also worth considering how teams play now compared to then with a significant increase in short possession play and much less back-to-front direct football. And Liverpool/City racking up points records this campaign that means their defenders have had less traditional defending to do.

All of that said, the stats are impressive for Vidic and shows how worthy he was of his PL player of the year award in that season.
Yeah of course some things you might not measure in stats, but he was almost faultless that season. VVD with Rio would be more appropriate comparison, but since we opened this can of worms...

Also you have to take in consideration how Pool set up and how well their midfield protects the back four. The didn't have the same luxury in the 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 we employed.

We often played Carrick, Fletcher and Scholes as a midfield 2 that year so it's fair to say he didn't have the luxury to not being put on constant pressure. Liverpool play obviously attacking football and you also have to bear in mind 10 years ago teams like Chelsea, Arsenal were much better than now and making it deep in CL, whilst also shading it as the best league, just before Barca and Real took over.

Rio also missed ton of games that season, only played 20 something in the league, which makes Vidic stats even more impressive.

Rio and Vidic played 3 CL finals (winning one of them), won 5 PL titles and whilst stats aren't always all that were much more consistent than what VVD could muster so far.

VVD could get there and be in the same bracket, but IMO needs a bit more time and to show the same class and consistency like in the last year and half at Pool.

Dominos

Torres was between Neville and Rio and neither got tight. Nothing to do with Vidic as you well know.

And you also know the red cards were not for offences against Torres.

Stacks

Fantastic footballer.
Another football hipster
Hi there.

Bojan11

Wrong again.

I just rewatched that

Torres was inbetween Rio and Neville. Both of them didn’t pick him up.

extincti fugax hominum

Caught sleeping for both goals, specially the first one. The thing that I noticed is how he didn't even try to face Messi and take the ball off him, he just backed up. Matip and Fabinho were more impressive when they went to tackle the little man
Noticed the same thing and that's why stats like "not getting past" are not to be taken seriously.

SER19

What the feck have I walked in on :lol: van dijk is having an immense year and is easily the best defender in the league - but to compare him to peak vidic, ferdinand, Terry and more is to compare him to the very best defenders of all time. generation defining defenders, so guys like Maldini, cannavaro must enter the discussion then too. Its absolutely no discredit to van dijk, but we may as well be comparing dick van dyke to vidic. Its that ludicrous a notion at the moment.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Ridiculous.
Titus Bramble didn't play for a top sideso obviously had more work to do.

Game has changed? Yes, primarily at the top, but those are stats for an entire season, racked up largely against teams which haven't drastically changed how they go about things. In fact, despite all the ball on deck pretty triangles and lack of crossing/long ball tactics which the game has supposedly evolved towards, the only stat where he beats Vidic is aerial duels. Funny, eh?

I'm no stats lover, but to question what a tremendous season Vidic had back then is bonkers. I rate VVD but Vidic had many seasons like the one he just had.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Titus Bramble didn't play for a top sideso obviously had more work to do.

Game has changed? Yes, primarily at the top, but those are stats for an entire season, racked up largely against teams which haven't drastically changed how they go about things. In fact, despite all the ball on deck pretty triangles and lack of crossing/long ball tactics which the game has supposedly evolved towards, the only stat where he beats Vidic is aerial duels. Funny, eh?

I'm no stats lover, but to question what a tremendous season Vidic had back then is bonkers. I rate VVD but Vidic had many seasons like the one he just had.
In that Ken Early column the other day it showed that over the years there is a lot less tackles and interceptions in the PL then there was 10 years ago.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Aye game has changed.. the level of defenders has went down. Peak Rio and Vidic would fecking boss it right now. And as for people saying that Terry was the best in PL history need to take their head out of their hoop — he wasn’t even the best defender at Chelsea during his time. Carvalho was.

AshRK

I do think he has been the best defender in the league this season but the way media has overrated him is a joke. Even today whenever he makes a simple tackle and the commentator was raving over that. It's like they are forcing him on our throat. Ok we get it he is damn good but he is not the greatest ffs.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Aye game has changed.. the level of defenders has went down. Peak Rio and Vidic would fecking boss it right now. And as for people saying that Terry was the best in PL history need to take their head out of their hoop — he wasn’t even the best defender at Chelsea during his time. Carvalho was.
As a big fan of Ricardo Carvalho unfortunately is not true. Both complemented each other and even Carvalho recognised playing alongside Terry made him a better player. Even if I am biased regarding Carvalho, more pleasant to watch on a technical point of view.

What most annoys me about Van Dijk it’s not his quality which he has. It’s really the ott hype he gets, he barely makes top 5 all time Dutch defenders and reading some media you might think we’re talking about Ruud Krol or Baresi.

Only trying to put him on the list to win the ballon d’or is pathetic.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
WHat a load of nonsense. Ramos was part of wininng teams. van Dijk this season has been better than any season Ramos has had in his career.

Ramos makes comical errors almost weekly. If he was in the Prem he would be called David Luiz but because he is Spanish and he scores goals he is WC. BS. Ramos is and never has been WC. I watched this clown since he played as a RB that was getting demolished in La Liga.

vna Dijk is superior at everything related to defending.

Having 6 good games in 60+ games is pathetic.
Sure bud.

Ramos is already among the best defenders ever, while VvD is just another solid defender.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Why didn’t Vidic win POTY that season? Those stats are incredible.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Fantastic footballer.
Laughable stuff.

He's had a single season of possibly winning feck all and we're putting alongside the greatest ever PL defenders. It's not as extreme but a bit like claiming one season of 40 plus goals puts you alongside Messi and co. Come on now, Livepool have actually had an absurdly lucky season and despite VVD clearly being superb, it's one season at the age of, what is it, 27-28? Somebody like Terry was one a dominant CB in the PL for 6-7 years. There's no comparison whatsoever. Let's see when VVD matches carries this on for 4 seasons. And even this season isn't up there with Vidic 09.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There was a clamour for Giggs to win it as some sort of a lifetime achievement award thing. That goal against Villa (was it?) at home seemed to sweep it towards him for some reason. I suppose he was amidst a renaissance of sorts which had an emotional weight to it

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is very good CB (probably best in World this season) but very much overrated with stats like "not dribbled past" without actually understanding what it means.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Vidic's form fell away a bit in the second half of the season. He was still very good but not quite as incredible as he was earlier on. Probably still should have won POTY, but the slight drop in form allowed Giggs (who did have a very good season as well to be fair) to nip in and win it on the sentimental vote. It wouldn't have even been close to an option if Vidic had continued in the form he showed in the first half of the season.

That slight drop in form is also why I consider Rio's 07/08 season to be even better than Vidic in 08/09.