Virgil van Dijk | Performances

Stretfordender

Brilliant brilliant performance. Absolute colossus of a Centre Back.

Has it all. One of the most complete Centre Backs you'll ever see.

Calm, clutch and a great leader. Just has that invincible aura around him. That presence cannot be replaced.

One of the very best I have seen.
Shut up you WUM

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Klopp's Liverpool is one of the most likeable teams around. Nothing wrong in liking this team. Relax.
Of all the feckin things I've read today, having to read this is something else. Likeable? Are you having a laugh?

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Of all the feckin things I've read today, having to read this is something else. Likeable? Are you having a laugh?
I think one important factor is that they are competing against a financially doped state funded sportwashing machine. So compared to them, atleast they are a real Football Club. Klopp deserves more respect than the pretentious neurotic Pep.

Ofcourse, United fans won't like Klopp but he's generally likeable in my opinion. :D

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
If I had to pick a 'at their best PL 11', I'd probably have him in there, alongside Terry

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
If I had to pick a 'at their best PL 11', I'd probably have him in there, alongside Terry
Ferdinand, at his very peak, was the best CB in the world. Just as good a defender as Terry and better with the ball at his feet than Van Dijk.

Carvalho was also a much better defender with a better CV in football.

Van Dijk hasn’t even been at a top club for 6 years.

Standing off and being passive so you are never the defender who has to commit doesn’t make him the best of the PL era. No way.

Football is a funny game. He has scored a goal while being marked by a left back in a game against a clueless attack, and the plaudits come out.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Rio, Stam, Vidic, Campbell, Terry, Carvalho, Kompany are all above him. They had several consecutive quality seasons rather than a couple of very good seasons, followed by one off season.

Righteous Steps

Ferdinand, at his very peak, was the best CB in the world. Just as good a defender as Terry and better with the ball at his feet than Van Dijk.

Carvalho was also a much better defender with a better CV in football.

Van Dijk hasn’t even been at a top club for 6 years.

Standing off and being passive so you are never the defender who has to commit doesn’t make him the best of the PL era. No way.

Football is a funny game. He has scored a goal while being marked by a left back in a game against a clueless attack, and the plaudits come out.
Ferdinand was better than Terry for me. Carvahlo though no chance he is better than VVD, was a great CB but there’s not much he did better than VVD, and VVD has athleticism and aerial prowess over him.

We eulogise players from the past but if you were to go back and watch every single game of them you’ll probably be surprised to how much time makes you forget all the faults they had.

Ferdinand is the best CB in PL, Stam Terry VVD Terry Vidic not far behind.

TheReligion

Abusive

Calm, clutch and a great leader. Just has that invincible aura around him. That presence cannot be replaced.

:lol:

Righteous Steps

And all 3 were quality. He never had an off season like Van Dijk did last season.
That’s true but VVD has probably had more good seasons in the PL than he has, Stam had good seasons in the Serie A at a time it was arguably best league in the world though which counts for something overall, but PL alone there wouldn’t be a great disparity between him and VVD.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Superb performance today. Stepped up and led a patched up side. Led by example and scored a winner. Captain and leader.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think Vidic is the best PL defender of all time

KeanoMagicHat

Rio, Stam, Vidic, Campbell, Terry, Carvalho, Kompany are all above him. They had several consecutive quality seasons rather than a couple of very good seasons, followed by one off season.
Kompany isn’t in a company that includes Van Dijk, level below. Van Dijk is only competing with Terry, Vidic and Rio there, and only Vidic is better imo.

Maluco

Ferdinand was better than Terry for me. Carvahlo though no chance he is better than VVD, was a great CB but there’s not much he did better than VVD, and VVD has athleticism and aerial prowess over him.

We eulogise players from the past but if you were to go back and watch every single game of them you’ll probably be surprised to how much time makes you forget all the faults they had.

Ferdinand is the best CB in PL, Stam Terry VVD Terry Vidic not far behind.
Carvalho was a fantastic defender! He didn’t have the athleticism but he knew how to stop even the greatest of attackers from scoring.

He has a CL win with Porto under his belt and was crucial to a Chelsea team that conceded only 15 goals in an entire Premier League season.

Can’t agree with him not being at the top table. He was the best pure defender and had the most guile of all of them.

Righteous Steps

I think Vidic is the best PL defender of all time
Why would you say this? A lot of posters on here agree but I always put Ferdinand above because I think he is a CB that could fit into all systems and playing styles and would still look the part as good as he was even in a Guardiola style team with an incredibly high line, that for me counts for something and why I put him above Terry and Vidic who together are probably the best 3 in PL years.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Kompany isn’t in a company that includes Van Dijk, level below. Van Dijk is only competing with Terry, Vidic and Rio there, and only Vidic is better imo.
I always rated Kompany. Helped get City over the line in some tight title races.

Van Dijk is a level below Rio, Vidic and Terry. For me, he's in the Carvalho, Campbell and Kompany category, and I'd rate all of them higher than him overall.

Righteous Steps

Carvalho was a fantastic defender! He didn’t have the athleticism but he knew how to stop even the greatest of attackers from scoring.

He has a CL win with Porto under his belt and was crucial to a Chelsea team that conceded only 15 goals in an entire Premier League season.

Can’t agree with him not being at the top table. He was the best pure defender and had the most guile of all of them.
That’s true but he was also playing a Chelsea team that had Makelele, Essien, Geremi, shielding the back and four and ina time where deeper lines were the vogue, Mourinho’s Chelsea were very defensive compared to the top teams of today.

Still the best team defensively in PL history collectively, but if you actually look at each individual and analyse it Carvahlo had more weaknesses than VVD for me. Pace and athleticism being probably the biggest and to be fair only one, but it’s still a weakness he had.

doomy20

In all fairness he is right. They power up against the oil money with sheer team spirit and dedication

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Troll

KeanoMagicHat

I always rated Kompany. Helped get City over the line in some tight title races.

Van Dijk is a level below Rio, Vidic and Terry. For me, he's in the Carvalho, Campbell and Kompany category, and I'd rate all of them higher than him overall.
Kompany was a likeable player but was he ever going to be in with a sniff of top 3 Ballon d’Or or footballer of the year? I would say Kompany was never considered among the best CBs in the world whereas Van Dijk has.

Why would you say this? A lot of posters on here agree but I always put Ferdinand above because I think he is a CB that could fit into all systems and playing styles and would still look the part as good as he was even in a Guardiola style team with an incredibly high line, that for me counts for something and why I put him above Terry and Vidic who together are probably the best 3 in PL years.
The ideal of Ferdinand is great and the ultimate defender. In reality, I think Vidic was more effective, more consistent. For example, Ferdinand had more lapses in concentration and his decision making wasn’t as good as Vidic imo, which is something that can’t be measured by just looking at pace or ability on the ball.

golden_blunder

Staff
He s a bit arrogant yes but I also miss having mascot like players like that at United. He s a leader and a smart man too when you see his interviews.

feck...second nice thing i said about Pool today. Make it stop.
Go and wash your mouth out with soap

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Ofcourse, United fans won't like Klopp but he's generally likeable in my opinion. :D
Pretty sure most non-Liverpool fans don't like the way he constantly berates the officials on the touchline, or how he talks down to people in press conferences whenever they dare to say something that doesn't brown-nose him.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think one important factor is that they are competing against a financially doped state funded sportwashing machine. So compared to them, atleast they are a real Football Club. Klopp deserves more respect than the pretentious neurotic Pep.

If you’re going to stay here you can quit the neutral nonsense and admit you’re a Liverpool fan

TheReligion

Abusive

‘Neutral’

Whatever you say Tena Lady.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Kompany was a likeable player but was he ever going to be in with a sniff of top 3 Ballon d’Or or footballer of the year? I would say Kompany was never considered among the best CBs in the world whereas Van Dijk has.
Let's not start using the 'top 3 in the Ballon d'Or' argument. Unless you think that because Jorginho was 3rd in the Ballon d'or in 2021, that means he was a better midfielder than Scholes ever was.

Maluco

That’s true but he was also playing a Chelsea team that had Makelele, Essien, Geremi, shielding the back and four and ina time where deeper lines were the vogue, Mourinho’s Chelsea were very defensive compared to the top teams of today.

Still the best team defensively in PL history collectively, but if you actually look at each individual and analyse it Carvahlo had more weaknesses than VVD for me. Pace and athleticism being probably the biggest and to be fair only one, but it’s still a weakness he had.
I get your point about his athleticism but Carvalho didn’t shirk challenges and was very physical and proactive about winning the ball, something that can’t be said about Van Dijk. As much as he was shielded at Chelsea, Van Dijk is very often the last defender, preferring to sit back and pass it around and leaving others to engage.

What he lacked in speed, he certainly made up for in physicality and won headers against taller opposition frequently. Crucially, he could also play and was a very good passer.

I think he read the game better than Van Dijk too. As much as we romanticize the past, we hype up the present far too often in social media vacuums and the constant daily content we all receive.

The media bias for Liverpool is very real and they were salivating over the win today. That same media has been overhyping Van Dijk as a player for the last 5 years. He is just too passive for me to include among the very best. Defenders who actually defended.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Vidic was a defender who never shied away from engagement. He sticks his neck into the tough situations

Rio can be bullied by physical defenders but Vidic is a brute who will never back down

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Back to being amongst the best in the world

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
I get your point about his athleticism but Carvalho didn’t shirk challenges and was very physical and proactive about winning the ball, something that can’t be said about Van Dijk. As much as he was shielded at Chelsea, Van Dijk is very often the last defender, preferring to sit back and pass it around and leaving others to engage.

What he lacked in speed, he certainly made up for in physicality and won headers against taller opposition frequently. Crucially, he could also play and was a very good passer.

I think he read the game better than Van Dijk too. As much as we romanticize the past, we hype up the present far too often in social media vacuums and the constant daily content we all receive.

The media bias for Liverpool is very real and they were salivating over the win today. That same media has been overhyping Van Dijk as a player for the last 5 years. He is just too passive for me to include among the very best. Defenders who actually defended.
Nah. VVD is one of the best, as is Carvalho, Terry, Vidic, Rio, Stam, Campbell, Adams etc. Nothing wrong with saying he's very good, he is.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I reckon Van Dijk is better on the ball. Today’s game demands a lot more with elite sides making many more passes and looking for more line-breaking distribution from their CBs. In playing off the left as a right-footed CB, Van Dijk has to be able to open up the play both on his left side and spray it stepping onto his right, which demands a lot imo.

Rio came through he was lauded for his skillset on the ball, but that was set against a relatively low bar. His ability there might be underrated even because he didn’t age well. But most defenders nowadays boast superior passing ranges and technique to the majority of those who came before.

Maluco

I reckon Van Dijk is better on the ball. Today’s game demands a lot more with elite sides making many more passes and looking for more line-breaking distribution from their CBs. In playing off the left as a right-footed CB, Van Dijk has to be able to open up the play both on his left side and spray it stepping onto his right, which demands a lot imo.

Rio came through he was lauded for his skillset on the ball, but that was set against a relatively low bar. His ability there might be underrated even because he didn’t age well. But most defenders nowadays boast superior passing ranges and technique to the majority of those who came before.
That’s true, the bar was definitely lower, but as I said above, van Dijk has a very passive style that gifts him more time in possession and means other defenders often engage the opposition before he does.

While they may pose superior passing skills, defending as an art form has taken a back seat to high intensity pressing and a midfield that works far harder off the ball.

I think it’s a discredit to players in the past to say the game is better just because players are fitter and the intensity is higher.

There were some superb defenders who played against some excellent forwards in those days. Carvalho and Ferdinand regularly played against more gifted strikers in the league, for example. (Even today, in a cup final against a major side, the opposition attacker was Jackson)

Everything in the past wasn’t inferior.