Virginia TV news reporter shot dead during live interview | Warning: Graphic content in spoilers

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
(CNN) An apparently routine live TV interview went horribly wrong in Virginia on Wednesday morning.

Two WDBJ employees were shot to death while reporting on a feature story Wednesday morning, the CNN affiliate in Virginia reported. They were reporter Alison Parker and photographer Adam Ward, the station said.

The crew from WDBJ was involved in the shooting during a live interview at Bridgewater Plaza near Moneta.

The gunman is believed to have fired six or seven times, WDBJ General Manager Jeff Marks said. The station does not believe that the interview subject was injured, Marks said.

Video circulated on social media showed a WDBJ reporter scream as what appeared to be gunshots were fired.

Parker is the morning reporter for the Roanoke station and a native of Virginia, having spent most of her life outside Martinsville. She started with WDBJ as an intern, her biography on the station's website says.

She previously worked with another CNN affiliate, WCTI, in Jacksonville, North Carolina, near Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune.

She is a graduate of James Madison University's School of Media Arts and Design in Harrisonburg.
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/26/us/virginia-shooting-wdbj/index.html

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
That's very sad, I can't figure if they were murdered on purpose or caught in cross-fire. It's also uncanny how they appear to be the absolute quintessential hollywood reporter-camerman crew.

Siorac

'Random innocent people get shot in the US' is barely even newsworthy now. If only all reporters were armed, they could defend themselves or something like that.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
That's very sad, I can't figure if they were murdered on purpose or caught in cross-fire. It's also uncanny how they appear to be the absolute quintessential hollywood reporter-camerman crew.
It doesn't look like they were caught up in cross fire.

On the video you can see the gunman standing merely a couple of feet away from them as he calmly closes in while firing shots.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Seen the footage, absolutely chilling.

They weren't caught in any crossfire. Re-opens the whole gun debate yet again, like someone above said I expect the gun nuts to give us the usual 'if only they were armed' bollocks.

gormless

Seeing this really brings it home how horrific it is. It's got to the point where I'm desensitised to "someone shoots school/church/cinema in america" but that seeing the video really brings home how horrible it truly is.

RIP

Neutral

BTV
Listen Sandy Hook was the seminal moment - once the right wing gun lobby cnuts (yes, they are all cnuts) decided, their 'right' to bear arms was more important than the lives of children, all was lost.

That's all there is to it.

There is no gun debate.

These reporters getting murdered...meh.

shabz

Here is the feed while they were on air. Looks like the cameraman was killed instantly. Just need to have a major crackdown on guns in America. It is actually ridiculous.

nevillestache

Seeing the face of the reporter just as she's about to be shot really is shocking.

So many gun related incidents these days but it's normally the aftermath you see, not the actual events.

Siorac

The reporter turned and tried to fled :( apparently she had no chance.

rednev

If the gunman was just a nutter who was going for shock value, you would think he would have shot the reporter first instead of the camera man - now that would have been a nasty sight on live TV.

An ex-boyfriend perhaps? But then why shoot the camera man and the third woman?

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Here is the feed while they were on air. Looks like the cameraman was killed instantly. Just need to have a major crackdown on guns in America. It is actually ridiculous.

Horrible. Does anybody know if the woman getting interviewed died too? No mention of her in the article.

rednev

Horrible. Does anybody know if the woman getting interviewed died too? No mention of her in the article.
According to reports she was shot in the back (possibly while on the floor?) and is currently in surgery.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Whilst avoiding trying to open up a new gun debate, which to be fair is pretty anti-guns in RedCafe - you've still got to have something wrong with you to be able to walk up behind a bunch of unarmed civilians and start plugging them.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not pro-gun.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Whilst avoiding trying to open up a new gun debate, which to be fair is pretty anti-guns in RedCafe - you've still got to have something wrong with you to be able to walk up behind a bunch of unarmed civilians and start plugging them.

I don't think anyone is denying that.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again

Exactly the case for the strictest of gun control in the United States

Last edited:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
maybe a dando type affair with some obsessed weirdo?

rednev

According to the governor or Virginia the police believe the shooter was an ex employee.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I'm actually surprised at the power of the gun lobbies, you'd have thought in nearly 8 years that Obama would have been able to do more about it. He's spoken of his frustrations, seems like he's often had his hands tied.

Kag

It'd be nice to switch on the news one day and not have to read of mass murders and killing sprees. It's more or less every day at the moment. It feels that way, at least.

A sad waste of life.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Listen Sandy Hook was the seminal moment - once the right wing gun lobby cnuts (yes, they are all cnuts) decided, their 'right' to bear arms was more important than the lives of children, all was lost.

There is no gun debate.

Spot on.

Siorac

There is no gun debate.

Yes. If that was not enough, nothing will ever be.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Seen the footage, absolutely chilling.

They weren't caught in any crossfire. Re-opens the whole gun debate yet again, like someone above said I expect the gun nuts to give us the usual 'if only they were armed' bollocks.
lol Reopens the gun debate. What do you think it was for? It was to reopen the 'debate'...

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I'm not sure how you lot can even click play on those videos.
Seconded.

It will have been bad enough for those watching live (something which i hope loved ones didn't have to go through), but why actively seek it out?