Was it a penalty?

Foolsgold21

It’s a penalty all day long - be interesting to see if it is consistently applied throughout the season.

ROFLUTION

It's in the little box - I don't see this mentioned very often, but the goalkeeper has always had more freedom inside the little box to go for a ball.

I think it's too rigid if it's a pen considering it has to be a big error if VAR has to overturn something. Giving it also means a goalkeeper should be very wary of when he jumps for the ball. You shouldn't put everything under a microscope, else we'll get a 1000 penalties - it's a physical sport after all and it's in the little box which is pr see the goalkeeper's domain.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
You shouldn't put everything under a microscope, else we'll get a 1000 penalties
The issue is that it's not a "microscope decision". Practically every neutral football fan called it a penalty. And now the referee himself has apologised and admitted that it was a mistake, something which would never happen unless it was a blatant mistake. The referee team has even been punished by not getting to officiate any games this weekend.

Dannn411

It definitely was but I have also seen them not given before. We just got lucky.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It should be. Goalkeepers are protected too much. In our game we had a goal disallowed because Tarkowski ‘fouled’ Leno yet he does far less than Onana does in this incident.

cj_sparky

It should be. Goalkeepers are protected too much. In our game we had a goal disallowed because Tarkowski ‘fouled’ Leno yet he does far less than Onana does in this incident.
Yeah, but the player that scored your goal would have been offside anyway.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah, but the player that scored your goal would have been offside anyway.
Which is fine but I think it looks like he disallows it because of the ‘foul’. Inconsistencies lead to more wrong decisions.

Scholes the maestro

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think it was a penalty, based on the view that collision did not obstruct clear goal scoring opportunity. At the time of collision, the ball was already headed by the player and collision did not cause the ball to change the course towards goal.

90 + 5min

Ofcourse he have.

I look forward them saying same about two of our penalties yesterday.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Why is this a debate? We obviously got away with one. Onana almost cost us three points but for a fluke bad decision.

"The PGMOL, the referees’ body, apologised to Wolverhampton Wanderers within minutes of their controversial 1-0 defeat away to Manchester United after the failure to award them a blatant injury-time penalty.

Wolves’ new head coach Gary O’Neil revealed that he had talked to the former referee Jonathan Moss who is now the Select Group 1 manager at the PGMOL.

“Having spoken to Jonathan Moss he has come out and apologised and said it was a blatant penalty,” O’Neil revealed. "

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
of course it was

even more weird was they reviewed it for so long usually that always means - send the ref to the screen for a check. I was in disbelief that he wasnt (even though I thought thats where he was going but book ONeill instead :lol:)

joedirt87

I thought it was a penalty, but there are always so many of these where a keeper crashes into a player and nothing is given so..... who knows.

Chief123

If it hadn't then it was less of a penalty and more going fo the ball.
I’m convinced even more it was penalty considering Onana fouled the player who wasn’t even involved in heading the ball. It was an off the ball foul.

Handré1990

My first thought was yes, however I think I don’t really know the exact letter of the rule here. Remember keepers getting away with murder before, and an especially bad memory of Zlatan heelkicking a corner first post, stood about 1,5 meters from the keeper and still got flagged for dangerous play. So in conclusion, who gives a feck?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Working off memory of shite stream here (miss @GifLord). Never a pen.

Onana looked like a clown who would never get to the ball? Yes.

He still has every right to make that jump in an attempt to make himself big to block any well directed header. If there's a player on the way so be it, it should never stop the keeper. That's why you don't give these or else teams would just plant Weghorsts in front of them all the time.

lex talionis

One can read the Laws and reasonable conclude that Onana committed a foul, but I have never, ever seen that kind of contact given as a penalty.

But now that this has become a thing, we may see it called once this season.

Telsim

Clear pen, we were very lucky. I'd be going mad, if it was us. Bet we are going to pay for it, though.

Strelok

Why is this a debate? We obviously got away with one. Onana almost cost us three points but for a fluke bad decision.

"The PGMOL, the referees’ body, apologised to Wolverhampton Wanderers within minutes of their controversial 1-0 defeat away to Manchester United after the failure to award them a blatant injury-time penalty.

Wolves’ new head coach Gary O’Neil revealed that he had talked to the former referee Jonathan Moss who is now the Select Group 1 manager at the PGMOL.

“Having spoken to Jonathan Moss he has come out and apologised and said it was a blatant penalty,” O’Neil revealed. "
Then why Jon Moss hasn't aplogised for not giving us a pen when their keeper kicked Antony's leg inside the penalty area? If the Onana one is a pen that one is even a more blatant one.

glazed

Then why Jon Moss hasn't aplogised for not giving us a pen when their keeper kicked Antony's leg inside the penalty area? If the Onana one is a pen that one is even a more blatant one.
A wrong decision somewhere else doesn't make this one right. That's whataboutery. I'm happy to take the points but when even the refs are apologising and suspending the on-pitch and VAR officials who made the decision, it's pretty clear we had a very lucky escape.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
It was a penalty and that's all our luck for the season in that one call. Officials will be extra strict with us now and our boys will just have to be careful.

Strelok

A wrong decision somewhere else doesn't make this one right. That's whataboutery. I'm happy to take the points but when even the refs are apologising and suspending the on-pitch and VAR officials who made the decision, it's pretty clear we had a very lucky escape.
The problem is if the Onana one is a pen we would have had two. And basically each team would get at least one every matches.

Then football would have completely changed to another sport where Tony Pulis would have been the best manager alive.

That guy Jon Moss is just dumb if what O Neil said is true.

evil_geko

Like many said, Goalkeepers are protected a lot, this situation does not result in penalty in 99% of cases, they probably should, but they don't. So if you want this to be a penalty, then change the rules basically. Until then, stop making drama about silly thing. This is blown out only because United is involved, literally just because of that.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
We did get lucky because incidents like that should be penalties. But you'll see plenty more of them this season without so much as a murmur from the media.

As always it's the failure of referees to properly enforce the rules already in place that causes them the most grief.

It's like the hoo-ha over being strict against players that argue with officials. Were refs not aware they could have been taking action all along.

glazed

The problem is if the Onana one is a pen we would have had two. And basically each team would get at least one every matches.

Then football would have completely changed to another sport where Tony Pulis would have been the best manager alive.

That guy Jon Moss is just dumb if what O Neil said is true.
If he hadn't been so late I would have waved it away too. It's not a 'you can't go for the ball in that situation' foul it's a 'you were nowhere near the ball and that's on you' foul.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'd be more disappointed if that decision went against a United player (e.g, a GK bamboozling our player) than I would have been if we conceded that penalty last night.

Which means in my eyes it was definitely a penalty and I'd be fuming if those sort of decisions didn't go our way later on in the season.

Shimo

I've always thought these kinda clashes should be pens but they are never given so am surprised at the fallout from this.
Not really surprising, especially when it comes to some of the bigger teams whether it is for them or against them. It gives eyeballs, clicks to the media/pundits to harp on.

No, sa done the exact same thing last season against Leeds no pen, what about sa clipping Anthony after his cross.
Even if we had not, it doesn't really doesn't help the media to make us out to be victims of not getting a call. It plays better the smaller team got a bad call that cost them against the big bad United. And it will continue to play on as the week goes on and they talk about the game against Spurs, United were lucky last week due to the officiating. Refs shouldn't be making up for mistakes from previous incidents but, you can see it coming soon enough.

Denis79

Clear penalty, really happy it wasn't given mostly for Onana's confidence going forward.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Whilst I think it is a penalty, the referee and VAR not giving it as a penalty is very much in line with what goalkeepers are generally allowed to get away with, rightly or wrongly, which makes the outrage and the fallout somewhat bizarre.

Antony was fouled by the goalkeeper as he chipped the ball over him early in the 2nd half. It was a late challenge, the keeper got nowhere near the ball, and he's taken his foot out from under him. It wasn't even mentioned by the commentators, or looked at. (it was also omitted from the Sky Sports highlights on Youtube, even though it resulted in a goal line clearance, odd). It's almost expected that keepers are allowed to be late and make contact, moreso than outfield players, or so it seems that way given how little they are penalised for it.

Similarly in the Brentford/Spurs game, Mbuemo (I think) got his shot away whilst 1v1 with the keeper, and the keeper goes straight through him. Not discussed or looked at, despite it being late, careless while getting none of the ball. Another example has been posted in this thread from Wolves/Leeds last season, goalkeeper was equally as late as Onana was, misses the ball and ends up punching the player in the head. No foul.

The outlier is the one from the City/Arsenal game last season, Ederson made a foul as a player was shooting, and a penalty was given, which was very surprising, as they are just never usually given.

IMO all the above are fouls and penalties. Goalkeepers get enough protection with any amount of contact on them generally being a foul. It's madness that they're allowed to clatter into a player and get none of the ball as well. I'd like to see both of those reeled in.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Was a clear penalty, that’s why the officials have been suspended next weekend. But I’ll take it. Every single teams have decisions that go for and against them so it’s not just us but rival fans will think we have special treatment.