Was Rashford considered a big talent when he was younger?

Ibi Dreams

Regardless of how our season is going in general, Rashford has clearly been in good form and the amount of goals he's been scoring has been impressive. In the last couple of games he's really looked like a player who could be dangerous against anyone. A lot of us hype our young players up a lot, and at the moment people are massively keen on some of them, but was it the same for Rashford?

I don't remember hearing about him much before he got in the team under Van Gaal. I remember people talking up strikers like James Wilson, Will Keane, even Angelo Henriquez, but I feel like I didn't see the same for Rashford. Am I just misremembering or was he not really considered a great prospect?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Regardless of how our season is going in general, Rashford has clearly been in good form and the amount of goals he's been scoring has been impressive. In the last couple of games he's really looked like a player who could be dangerous against anyone. A lot of us hype our young players up a lot, and at the moment people are massively keen on some of them, but was it the same for Rashford?

I don't remember hearing about him much before he got in the team under Van Gaal. I remember people talking up strikers like James Wilson, Will Keane, even Angelo Henriquez, but I feel like I didn't see the same for Rashford. Am I just misremembering or was he not really considered a great prospect?
He was rated but I thought he was hot and cold. Didn't see anything special but he seems to have a good mental attititude and a love for the game. Wilson could be a player one day if he develops his game. Keane was so unlucky with injuries and at the wrong time. Let's not forget, Keane would have got his change before Rashford if not for Injury. Not too sure about Angelo.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

I'd never heard of him no but it became pretty clear not long after that game in the EL that we were looking at the best attacking player to come out of the academy since Giggs (imo)

The thing I always wonder is if Martial hadn't got that injury would Rashford of made it here? I mean when would he of got his opportunity? I'm sure given his ability a chance would have come regardless eventually but it does make you wonder

Mainoldo

Made the bench against Watford i think and there was a couple youtube videos talking about him. So never really got the no hype around him talk. He was pretty known. But i'm not really a youth/reserves team guy. Catch glimpses.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was big talent, rated by Guardian as the best youngster at the club back in 2014 or 15. He was considered as technically very strong player and also he was always linked with City. IIRC city wanted to sign him when he was 15-17.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Think there's been a conscious effort from the club to avoid hyping up young players in the last 5 years or so. Paying dividends for players such as Rashford and McT.

mu4c_20le

Yes. His numbers weren't as impressive as those you listed, but he was regarded as an exciting prospect with lots of natural ability.

Utdstar01

Ravel Morrison's agent mentioned way back, years ago that Rashford was the most talented player in our academy after Ravel. He was always really highly rated.

SAFMUTD

I don’t remember him being rated highly, not like Kean or Wilson. He burst up pretty young under Van Gal in fairness so there was not much time for hyping to be honest.

Tarrou

I'd never heard of him no but it became pretty clear not long after that game in the EL that we were looking at the best attacking player to come out of the academy since Giggs (imo)

The thing I always wonder is if Martial hadn't got that injury would Rashford of made it here? I mean when would he of got his opportunity? I'm sure given his ability a chance would have come regardless eventually but it does make you wonder
Of course he would have made it. Why would him getting a chance at any particular moment make much difference to his chances?

He’s got where he is through years of hard work and genuine talent - there’s no luck in there really.

In Rainbows

Rashford was rated as one of the best talents for his United age group, but there are a couple of those every age group. He wasn't considered as big of a talent as others who were in this can't miss prospect level. I would argue Gomes, Greenwood, and Januzaj were that. Many of us thought Wilson was the better striker, because Wilson was the better finisher. However, Rashford was clearly the better all around striker, so we probably underrated the all around skill and overestimated the finishing skill.

But yes, for his age group, he was one of the best talents. Some would have considered Gribbin as a slightly superior talent (despite being a little younger), but nobody could argue that Rashford wasn't arguably that person for his age group.

Angelo Henriquez was certainly not on Rashford's level.

Rashford is a completely different story than McTominay's story.

Not the same thing. This is after the fact. We're talking about when he was in our youth sides.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Really? He would have gotten his chance for sure given how the team has turned out afterwards. It was just a matter of time, unless this was the United of old where he would have had far less opportunities because of the world-class talent there.

I don't know how big of a talent he was considered, but this season he is growing on me where I can see him possibly becoming a world-class player. I honestly did not see it prior to this season as I thought he was very low on football IQ, no matter his age because he had accumulated quite a bit of experience, but this season he is not necessarily showing a much smarter game, but he is simply more confident and things are coming off great for him. It's going to be very exciting to see him develop if he can keep this trajectory. As much as I've thought, and still believe, that Martial is the superior talent and player, I'm not just as convinced that Rashford could wind up the better player of the two when it's all said and done.

Snuffkin

He was known for his pace primarily. His mental attitude is what marks him out. Great taker of opportunities.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I don’t remember him being rated highly, not like Kean or Wilson. He burst up pretty young under Van Gal in fairness so there was not much time for hyping to be honest.
Those players were hyped by fans. We don’t know who the club rates highly and like someone mentioned they don’t talk about it publicly for various reasons.
1) protect the player.
2) avoid other clubs trying to poach / unsettle

RyRy11

I remember being excited about him getting a shot in the first team. I think a lot of people were skeptical about the hype due to previous attacking players failing to deliver on their supposed talent.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Never heard of him before his debut to be honest.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The coaches at Carrington have always rated Rashford extremely highly.

roonster09

Scout
Rashford was rated as one of the best talents for his United age group, but there are a couple of those every age group. He wasn't considered as big of a talent as others who were in this can't miss prospect level. I would argue Gomes, Greenwood, and Januzaj were that. Many of us thought Wilson was the better striker, because Wilson was the better finisher. However, Rashford was clearly the better all around striker, so we probably underrated the all around skill and overestimated the finishing skill.

But yes, for his age group, he was one of the best talents. Some would have considered Gribbin as a slightly superior talent (despite being a little younger), but nobody could argue that Rashford wasn't arguably that person for his age group.

Angelo Henriquez was certainly not on Rashford's level.

Rashford is a completely different story than McTominay's story.
He wasn't even striker all the time isn't it, IIRC he played one season as CF for U18s and then was promoted to U23s where he barely played before getting senior team debut. He was small and was a technical wizard in his younger days, proper play maker who played across all the attacking positions.

In Rainbows

He wasn't even striker all the time isn't it, IIRC he played one season as CF for U18s and then was promoted to U23s where he barely played before getting senior team debut. He was small and was a technical wizard in his younger days, proper play maker who played across all the attacking positions.
Yep. He was converted from an attacking midfielder to a striker. He didn't start off all that clinical when he was first converted, but the season he made his first team debut, he clearly improved. Not to the level of somebody like Greenwood, mind you. There wasn't enough evidence to consider him as being better than Wilson as a striker. He didn't really play for the u21s, so this gives context in where the comparison stood at the time for their time in youth sides.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Him & McTominay are the two players that I never heard of in the academy, and both of them are now imo have good potential to be our captain, compared to any of our academy players in the last 10 years, those two have mature attitude when they are on interview or conference, and as footballers they work very hard and show commitment. They seem to be type of players that young academy players admire and can be set as good example.

Shows a lot of talent when you are teen is nothing without enough desire and commitment.

roonster09

Scout
Yep. He was converted from an attacking midfielder to a striker. He didn't start off all that clinical when he was first converted, but the season he made his first team debut, he clearly improved. Not to the level of somebody like Greenwood, mind you.
Yeah, considering he was completely different player it was normal that he struggled with finishing. Remember reading articles about how good Rashford has adapted to his new position and this was when he started to grow from tiny boy to taller kid.

It was weird to see him described as kick and run player when it was always obvious how good his technique is, with his pace it would be stupid not to use it to his advantage but he was always more than kick and run player.

SoCross

He was highly rated. Plenty of people were excited about him but I never thought he’d make such an immediate impact.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I remember him being highly regarded as a 15/16 year old and hearing his name accordingly. However at 18 I don't believe there was the same hype/belief in him as there was for, say, a Mason Greenwood.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I remember hearing about him a few years before and him being hyped up as a winger. Then had a few quiet years where I wondered if he progressed. Then got the chance under LvG and we know what happened since. He was talented and hyped up though, just not Morrison/Pogba/Januzaj/Greenwood level.

Strelok

I don't think so.

Honestly I had hardly heard anything about him before his debut and I'm a MU fan for 2x years.

As a fan of Football Manager if you look back in the game few years prior to his debut then you'd see his stats and potential ability was very mediocre. Even after his debut year the potential ability was still very mediocre. Or look at the papers around or prior to his debut you'd see nothing about him. Maybe within the club or local base he was considered a good prospect but it was definitely not enough to him to be recognised as a big talent.

Thank God that we have him. Imagine if he's playing for some team like Leicester now and we want him, how much do you think they'd ask us for ...

RedCurry

It’s all guess work but I think Rashford would have scored a bucket load in junior levels and it would only be a matter of time that he was given an opportunity.

roonster09

Scout
I don't think so.

Honestly I had hardly heard anything about him before his debut and I'm a MU fan for 2x years.

As a fan of Football Manager if you look back in the game few years prior to his debut then you'd see his stats and potential ability was very mediocre. Even after his debut year the potential ability was still very mediocre. Or look at the papers around or prior to his debut you'd see nothing about him. Maybe within the club or local base he was considered a good prospect but it was definitely not enough to him to be recognised as a big talent.

Thank God that we have him. Imagine if he's playing for some team like Leicester now and we want him, how much do you think they'd ask us for ...
2014 when they published best talents at each PL club.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...0-of-the-best-talents-at-premier-league-clubs

2014, City, Chelsea, Arsenal were interested to sign him. City was closest I think, at that time there was lot of news about it.
Manchester City are chasing Marcus Rashford, the 16-year-old rising star at neighbours Manchester United.

The attacking midfielder is one of the most highly sought after talents for his age group but United have yet to wrap up terms on a new contract.

City are particularly keen while Chelsea and Arsenal also have an interest.

United are reluctant to pay out big-money contracts and constantly risk losing some players due to greater financial incentives being offered at other clubs
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ook-prise-Manchester-United-starlet-away.html

Last edited:

Strelok

Yeah but if you'd have a look at the other best talents at other clubs then there's only Solanke who we could say that hasn't gone into darkness ...

I don't know what is the definition of OP's "big talent" but I assume that it means a player was regarded as someone who could become a super star, a mega player, an elite player. As I said within the club, the local base Rashford would be considered as a good prospect but not hyped to the level mentioned above I think.

2014, City, Chelsea, Arsenal were interested to sign him. City was closest I think, at that time there was lot of news about it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ook-prise-Manchester-United-starlet-away.html
I see you added smth, this is new to me. Maybe he was considered a big talent imo. If not teams wouldn't fight for his signature like this I think.

Last edited:

SoCross

I don't think so.

Good reason why the game and football manager should be kept apart from each other as far as possible. I love it too but life doesn’t work like a simulation.

Most of those who followed the academy knew Rashford had the tools to be good but like I said previously, I wouldn’t have pegged him to be a “key player” this soon.

Was anticipating a Fletcher like growth. Perhaps a sign also of how poor the investment into our squad has been.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd never heard of him before the Europa League game, which he only started because Will Keane got injured in the warm-up.

I think it's safe to say he wasn't seen as a particularly big prospect, as I'm always aware of our promising young players years before they breakthrough. Rashford seemed to come from out of nowhere. There was far more hope for James Wilson.

If I remember correctly he had a low potential on that years Football Manager game, something like a 135-140, about decent Championship player standard, which is another indicator that he wasn't highly rated.

Damn, that's crazy. You are a modern day Nostradamus.

Did you call Mbappe's breakthrough after the 2016-17 season too?

Last edited:

From what I remember he was one of a handful of exciting prospects. He was never a guarantee like Pogba was but he was in the next group down.

lysglimt

Scout
I have watched United U18s and U23 more or less regularly for over 10 years - and Rashford was always highly rated, but I would still say he is one of those who out-performed his expectations. I guess you could say he was one of those who fall into the same cathegory as Lingard and M.Keane - their talents were bigger than how they generally performed at youth-levels. Lingard and M.Keane for instance hardly played at U18-levels because they were so small - I remember an interview with OGS when he said that they were both going to be brilliant footballers, once they grew a bit.

Rossi, Pique, Welbeck, Pogba and Ravel - maybe even W.Keane were probably all performing better at youth-matches than Rashford. But he was probably in the batch behind these players.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I find Mctominay's story just as more fascinating.
Now,he really did come from nowhere.

Maybe Rashford's and McTomiany's progression should tell us something.;)

jb8521

He was always very highly rated within the club, he played 3 years up at the Aegeon Cup in Amsterdam & signed what at the time was the biggest contract we'd ever given to a 16 year old when he signed his scholarship.