Was the Casemiro signing a mistake?

Ole'sgunnarwin

He has no legs. Clear as day. Looks like he'll be sent off in about half his matches. I'd trust Amrabat over him. He still has quality but he's too risky with the fouls he gives away.

CloneMC16

He's finished. Dives in constantly every game and always looks on the the edge of being sent off. Gives the ball away way too much, too.

One half season of good form wasn't worth it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He’s been physically overrun since the fag end of last season. Blatantly obvious that he needs replacing / to be upgraded upon.

DanielofLeyland

His footballing brain is superb. He can visualize the pass a team will make (particularly the top teams where tactics are perhaps less spontaneous) and can intercept and break up play very effectively.

However, against teams that like to run the ball he simply can't keep up with the pace is a liability. Should have been sent off today. ETH needs to think smart as to what games Case can be effective in.

Conor

He's actually just very thick at times, PL moves too fast for him now and he has no restraint.

redom

It's probably a combination of things, La Liga probably has the more technical players on average compared to the PL, where as the PL is faster and requires a higher physical standard, Casemiro can use his nous and experience to shut down technique but with a drop off in his own physicality and the higher demands of the PL he's often just a bit slow and a bit late, and we don't make it easy for him with the amount of times he's left exposed

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I don't care how past-it he is. Liverpool got 40m from Saudi for a washed up Fabinho. We have to get at least 50m for him if they come knocking in the summer.

RoyH1

It's probably a combination of things, La Liga probably has the more technical players on average compared to the PL, where as the PL is faster and requires a higher physical standard, Casemiro can use his nous and experience to shut down technique but with a drop off in his own physicality and the higher demands of the PL he's often just a bit slow and a bit late, and we don't make it easy for him with the amount of times he's left exposed
This is pretty much it. Agree withe very word here.

theatreofdreams777

No, he's still the best midfielder we have. We need to move on the likes of Bruno, Eriksen, not sign Amrabat etc. before even thinking selling him.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We need his brain on younger legs.

As science doesn’t allow us to do this legally we need to change him now.

Roboc7

He was very good for a short spell but overall given how many games he has missed and number of poor performances his signing is looking more and more like a mistake.

If we can offload him in the summer, break even on FFP and get rid of his wages completely then it won’t be so bad. Bit if we get stuck with him waddling around for another year or two on over 300k a week it’s onltt yr going to get worse.

daveskimufc

I don't think so with the impact he had when he started last season and even the last few games this year. Perhaps expensive.

We definitely need to look past him for next season. We can only play him for 45/60 mins because he is a walking yellow card

Reactions: Cheimoon

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not a mistake at all. He was a stopgap measure though, and never one for the future. Shame we couldn't have gotten him 5 years ago.
How is a stop gap measure and 'never for the future' not a mistake if you've given him a 5 years £300k+ a week contract?

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I'm not keen on him. Bit of a loose cannon, and I think past his best

Malone_Post

Not a mistake at all. He was a stopgap measure though, and never one for the future. Shame we couldn't have gotten him 5 years ago.
70 million & £375k a week for a stopgap player who’s managed (at best) 6 months of good form in nearly 2 seasons is the definition of a mistake.

It was a typical post Fergie United signing. Big name, past his best, coming to United for one final pay day. And the fans lapping it up because of who he is.

Andersons Dietician

First season he was quite brilliant at times but I believe even Ineos have questioned his signing, as surely investing in Declan Rice for example would have been a better option buisness wise than Casemiro.

There is however that you could say our team lacked a culture, lacked standards lacked leaders. We bought people like Ronaldo, Casemiro and Varane to try and improve standards there and set examples for these players that have been left to their own devices and have drifted.

So if he has come in and done that then you could say he is probably worth that investment but it doesn’t look like it from the outside.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Get this Larry Holmes out of here

AndyMUFC

It wasn’t a mistake no, we’re still a much better team with him.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
I honestly don't think he was that bad today. The first yellow is the exact same type of cynical challenge that City and Liverpool have won trophies doing for the last decade.

Scanny

It wasn’t a mistake no, we’re still a much better team with him.
Most of the time. Some of his yellow cards are ridiculous and some are his own recklessness. Love him but glad he was subbed today.

Mike Smalling

The guy is still only 31. Surely it would be possible to get some good performance out of him, if we had better options and could pick his appearances a bit more selectively.

It would be great to get a different type of DM in to share the burden. Hopefully Mainoo can be a mainstay in the side, so we would need someone with a bit of pace and a lot of running in him. Someone like a Kanté (meaning his type, I realize finding someone of that quality will be difficult).

foolsgold

If the question is, did we badly over pay for him in terms of transfer fee and salary, then it's a clear "yes". When looked at in isolation, he brought a lot to the team last season, although obvious fall off this year.

I thought the first booking was soft today, but he needed to be taken off because a 2nd yellow was certain and it'd have cost us the game. I think from here on, EtH needs to pick every carefully the matches he plays in, other teams are going to go for him. If he can be moved on in the close season then it's obvious we should, going to be hard though with 2 years left on the contract. We can forget about Saudi miracle transfer offers, they seem to have ended all round.

honirelandboy

Yes a massive mistake. 70 million for him was a massive panic buy. These type of signings are what ratcliffe is trying to stop. For that money we should have signing someone at max 24/25 years of age who’ll be a top signing for years.

Prodigal7

Some real knee jerk reactions here too simply a poor game from him. He’s essential to us defensively and making top 4. A class act normally even if he’s lost a step.

MiceOnMeth

Mainoo is the only midfielder Id be keen to keep. The rest can feck off to Saudi

E-mal

He was a duress signing and ultimately not value for money when you consider what he has delivered, his wage and sell on value. We should be more strategic and think long term

Michael T

I loved Casemiro's interaction with Hojlund after the first goal today - you can't put a price on the value moments like that will have on a young player like Hojlund's development and confidence.
However, he is slowing, and the constant yellows he's picking up is affecting his and our performances.

My ideal outcome would be a younger talent brought in during the summer, as a starter, but retaining Casemiro another season to bring on later in games if the new player is struggling or gets a knock. I'm not sure Casemiro would want to stick around with that scenario though - in which case, probably the best outcome for both would be to sell him to the Saudis.

davidmichael

Classic Woodward short term signing
Woodward can’t be blamed for this one seeing as he’d been gone a good while when Casemiro signed for us.

First season he was quite brilliant at times but I believe even Ineos have questioned his signing, as surely investing in Declan Rice for example would have been a better option buisness wise than Casemiro.

There is however that you could say our team lacked a culture, lacked standards lacked leaders. We bought people like Ronaldo, Casemiro and Varane to try and improve standards there and set examples for these players that have been left to their own devices and have drifted.

So if he has come in and done that then you could say he is probably worth that investment but it doesn’t look like it from the outside.
Said for years we should have invested in Rice as we’d have had someone to play that role for a decade and even at a young age you could see he’s a real on pitch leader, everything Casemiro can do Rice can also do whilst being 7-8 years younger and very established in the league.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
It was obvious to anyone who watched Madrid regularly. He has no pace, no power for more back and forth football. His last year at Madrid he already showed physical deficiencies.

talking robot

Did we over pay? Probably. Do we need an upgrade? Clearly. But we're still a better team right now when he's playing than when he's not. For the future, I'm hoping we upgrade in the summer but keep him around as a very good rotation option.