Kick-off
Sat, 15 September 2018 @ 5:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 71 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

Going to be a tough game 9 would think. Hopefully we’ll come away with the win but they are an easy banana peel team at the moment.

BlueHaze

Hopefully I'm wrong but I can see things going incredibly bad in this game. If we lose then I honestly think top 4 is gone. It would also be 3 losses in 5 games which is a horrendous record, we really need a win badly but at this stage I would even accept 1 point.

RedCurry

I want to see us play the same quick passing game that we saw for a little while against spurs and for majority of the game against Burnley.

buckooo1978

Another Burnley level performance would be a win for us

expecting a tough game but Watford will give us chances

GM K

Our attacking play is improving. We should keep that going. My concern is the defence. They did pretty well in the last game though. If we get our defending right, I see us taking this game and if we do, it will mark a turning point in the season for us.

GM K

He can play both left and right back I think.
    For a debut, it is extrememly important DD has a good game from a psychological perspective. I forsee Jose playing safe for him. Young on the left, Valencia on the right and DD as a late sub if we are winning comfortably.

simplyared

I reckon this will be a very tough game for us. We're up against a team who are full of confidence, strong players going forward from midfield. (We just cannot play Lindelöf in this game). On top of that they look to have made a fantastic recruitment by getting Gracia as their manager. Not saying they are going to do a Leicester, but should certainly be taken seriously. For me this is about the worst type of opposition we could meet right now and I think we'll struggle.

WoodysWallet

A draw wouldn’t be a bad result, although I think we can sneak a win if we can win that midfield battle.

I’m going for a 0-1 win, Lukaku with the goal.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    We certainly need to score first to get anything out of this. We look so poor once we go behind. No idea of the result let alone score...

Infra-red

I think we can get a draw here, which would not be a bad result considering Watford are off to a flyer. 2-2.

Trizy

You lot are too negative. We'll win this comfortably. 3-1 I'm predicting.

el3mel

Lindelof will get bullied by Deeney if Fellaini is't present. Hopefully he plays, otherwise gonna be a long night.

Bola

Watford are a physical team, but we have the right personnel to 'out bully' them. The line-up vs Burnley was a good template for this match and I'd be tempted to use again.

My preference would be:

De Dea
    Valencia, Bailley, Smalling, Shaw

Matic, Fellani, Pogba

Lingaard, Lukakku, Sanchez

Victor L is dropped as it could be a very messy day for him against a physical team like Watford. If Jose does not want Bailley back in, then I'd move Matic into defence and bring in Perreira or Fred.

Edit - Just remembered that Rashford is banned. Was having a debate in my head on whether to start him or Jesse!

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
    A draw wouldn’t be a bad result, although I think we can sneak a win if we can win that midfield battle.

I’m going for a 0-1 win, Lukaku with the goal.
    Personally, I think anything but a win would be a bad result against Watford, regardless of their early season form.

Even though we are early into the season, we need to keep up with the leading pack and build some momentum.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    Confirmed travelling squad.

Confirmed United squad members

David de Gea, Sergio Romero, Antonio Valencia, Matteo Darmian, Eric Bailly, Chris Smalling, Victor Lindelof, Ashley Young, Nemanja Matic, Scott McTominay, Fred, Marouane Fellaini, Andreas Pereira, Paul Pogba, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, Alexis Sanchez, Anthony Martial, Romelu Lukaku

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    Confirmed travelling squad.

Confirmed United squad members

David de Gea, Sergio Romero, Antonio Valencia, Matteo Darmian, Eric Bailly, Chris Smalling, Victor Lindelof, Ashley Young, Nemanja Matic, Scott McTominay, Fred, Marouane Fellaini, Andreas Pereira, Paul Pogba, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, Alexis Sanchez, Anthony Martial, Romelu Lukaku
    Is that saying Luke Shaw is a definite no or travelling separately?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    This is what the MEN said.

15:35KEY EVENT
    Manchester United travelling squad to Watford confirmed
    Luke Shaw has not travelled with the Manchester United squad for their Premier League fixture at Watford but Marouane Fellaini is in contention to figure.

Full squad details here.
    Good, rather they take a bit more time for his health .... a few days/a game isn't worth the risk. Lose/lose mediawise too... we play him/he's ok and we'd be gambling with his long-term health... we play him/something happens and whether a fluke or not, it'd be news top story for weeks.

el3mel

Well, let's hope Young repeats his performance there from last season.

Le Red

Watford vs Man Utd.
    One team trying to mantain their 100% record at the beginning of the season.
    The other is floating around midtable and struggling to find a pattern of play.
    Not too long ago it could only have been the other way around.

Mou fell over

Yep, Mourinho fell over at Wembley and made a joke about it during the press conference:

"People that called me and ask me to fall at Wembley because they need news from me, so I made it on purpose so you could speak about myself. Was a good dive and I protect my phones. No penalty and maybe a yellow card."

See more quotes from the press conference here.

Kapardin

Watford vs Man Utd.
    One team trying to mantain their 100% record at the beginning of the season.
    The other is floating around midtable and struggling to find a pattern of play.

Not too long ago it could only have been the other way around.
    It's been all of 4 games, c'mon. Nobody even needs to look at the table at this stage. Not like we are "floating around midtable" after week 20.

WoodysWallet

Personally, I think anything but a win would be a bad result against Watford, regardless of their early season form.

Even though we are early into the season, we need to keep up with the leading pack and build some momentum.
    I’ve got my doubts if Fellaini doesn’t play now. I don’t think Fred should be starting, and if Herrera is also missing I can see this ending badly for us tbh.

On the train

The following players boarded the train at Stockport Station:

Goalkeepers (2): David de Gea, Sergio Romero
    Defenders (6): Antonio Valencia, Matteo Darmian, Eric Bailly, Chris Smalling, Victor Lindelof, Ashley Young
    Midfielders (6): Nemanja Matic, Scott McTominay, Fred, Marouane Fellaini, Andreas Pereira, Paul Pogba
    Forwards (5): Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, Alexis Sanchez, Anthony Martial, Romelu Lukaku

Luke Shaw wasn't sighted. Mourinho did say the following during his press conference earlier in the day:

"Contrary to some news and opinions, from the protocol point of view and according to our doctor, he will be free to play. The only situation I have to analyse is if we are going to play him when, during the week, he wasn't training with the team, or if even so we decide to play him."

Sounds like they've decided to play it safe - not that Young is a bad replacement, having scored twice during United's 4:2 win here last season.

Rojo injured - again?!

Both Rojo and Dalot have been playing in an U23 game tonight in a bid to step up their return to action, but this latest update from Rob Dawson doesn't sound good.

You can read the captivating reserves match thread here.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
    Shame about Shaw, but after Young's performance against these last season I've got a good feeling. He'll be out to impress to win his place back.

Seven Seas Sardines

Pretty sure this is what Mourinho will do:

De Gea
    Valencia Smalling Lindelöf Young
    Fellaini
    Matic Pogba
    Lingard Lukaku Sanchez
    Fred(60'), Martial(70'), Pereira/McTominay(80')

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    International breaks are so annoying. Season barely starts and you have 2 weeks off right away. Thank feck this is back. Fully ready to be disappointed again!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Marouane Fellaini image Marouane Fellaini 39% of 668 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 451 ratings.

Score Predictions