Kick-off
Sat, 15 September 2018 @ 5:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 71 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Cloud7

Really sucks that we don’t have Shaw for this game. He was a big big part of our improved performance last game :(

Scroto Baggins

Supports
    Newcastle Jets
    Have to be on point defending set pieces, Holebas has a good delivery and a lot of targets in the Watford team. Deserved winners vs Spurs and we have to be up for that physical scrap. Would be great to get an early goal and take some of the wind out of their, and the crowds, sails.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    Have to be on point defending set pieces, Holebas has a good delivery and a lot of targets in the Watford team. Deserved winners vs Spurs and we have to be up for that physical scrap. Would be great to get an early goal and take some of the wind out of their, and the crowds, sails.
    I was thinking this - really hoped Fellaini would be starting but unsure after the presser.

Havak

Pokemon master
    Really sucks that we don’t have Shaw for this game. He was a big big part of our improved performance last game :(
    Jose actually said in his presser that the doctors say Shaw can play this match. He's just unsure whether to do so as he's had very limited training through the week. It's probably about 50/50 as to who starts out of him and Young, but Young did have probably his best United performance there last season.

Red Royal

I actually think the International break came at a good time for us... we wont the last game but after 2 losses whereas Watford must have been delighted with their fantastic start. Has given Jose time to have more time to think about his plans. No international injuries (Shaw aside) and the one guy who needed games (Rashford) got some much needed positive press.

Can't wait for this one!

simplyared

Could do without this fixture right now imo. We're playing away against a team who are on a roll. They've brought in a manager who knows the importance of psycology in football and he has implemented it in his players. Unlike us a team in harmony. Watford are a team that most people think we should beat. If we were to lose against a City, Chelsea or a Liverpool nobody would bat an eyelid right now. If we lose against a Watford however, which we could well do, there could be consequences. Hope I'm wrong but going on recent form can't see anything that points to 3 pts on the board for us.

Longlivekeano

———————-DdG——————-

Valencia-Smalling-Jones-Rojo—

————-Matic—-Fellaini————

——————Pogba—————-

-Sanchez——Lukaku—lingard

Cloud7

Jose actually said in his presser that the doctors say Shaw can play this match. He's just unsure whether to do so as he's had very limited training through the week. It's probably about 50/50 as to who starts out of him and Young, but Young did have probably his best United performance there last season.
    Must have missed that bit of news. That actually is great to hear, but I would err on the side of letting him sit this one out, even if we need him. Watford are in top form, and it would be unfair to make a rusty Shaw play against an in form team like them. Let him rest this weekend and return from next matchday!

WoodysWallet

Would love to see Martial get an opportunity here. He’s been training with the squad all week, as has Sanchez I believe. You would have thought they may have been working on something in training, seen as Rashford is injured and Jesse has played twice for England.

ypsipeos

Holebas is rubbish and the two CBs are very slow. It's a pitty we don't have a quick right winger. IMO Sanche(sch)z should play right wing today. He has Holebas in his pocket.

Mourinho on contracts

In his press conference, Mourinho was asked about Shaw, Young, Herrera and Mata's contracts. He also mentioned de Gea's contract situation:

"I hope they will stay. We had a similar conversation last season about Marouane and I was always saying I hope he stays, I believe he stays.

"I say the same. I hope they stay. Of course, I am happy with the players. David is David, no need of more words. Luke's evolution made us believe he goes in the right direction and of course I want to keep him.

"Juan and Ander, even if they are not playing or not playing a lot, not starting matches, by the personality point-of-view and character point-of-view, by what they represent in the modern society in football, they are almost unique pieces that I also don't want to lose."

Kapardin

Juan can go. Ander can stay as a squad player for the wages he's on.

As for the game, please get the 3 points. Don't want to be 9 fecking points behind Liverpool this early in the season.

Last minute lineup questions

Just under an hour until the lineup predictions close and there aren't that many questions over the starting XI compared to previous weeks thanks to the team performance against Burnley, the suspension of Rashford and a few other missing players.

Only change at leftback?

I think this will be the case. Shaw didn't travel to Watford with the squad so we're likely to see Young make his first start for us this season.

Stick with Matic-Fellaini-Pogba?

Fellaini gets a lot of criticism but I don't think anyone can disagree with his performance against Burnley. Against a side like Watford, Fellaini will be useful again so I can see him keeping his place over Fred - however, Mourinho did state Fellaini as one doubt for the game. As he traveled, I reckon he'll start.

Damien's predicted XI

De Gea

Valencia Lindelof Smalling Young
    Matic
    Fellaini Pogba
    Lingard Lukaku Sanchez​​​

Pic from Watford

About 45 minutes until team news.

Greek9

Supports
    Panathinaikos
    Must win! 9 points behind Liverpool just no...

tombombadil

Liverpool got an easy ride through tottenham. Man City as well. I think all the leading teams bar Spurs won. This is looking more and more like a must win game.

Must win games tend to be screw jobs and United tend not to do well after internationals ..... sigh .... Just keep hoping I guess ....

Andersons Dietician

Damn, I had read Shaw was back in full training and I thought Jose might risk him so I swapped him back in for Young and now I’m reading he didn’t travel.

Big game this, just can’t lose and the scary thing is they are capable of putting one over most teams on their day.

Watford team
    Starting XI: Foster, Janmaat, Cathcart, Kabasele, Holebas, Hughes, Doucoure, Capoue, Pereyra, Gray, Deeney
    Subs: Gomes, Mariappa, Femenia Masina, Chalobah, Sema, Success

Manchester United team
    Starting XI: De Gea, Valencia (c), Lindelof, Smalling, Young, Matic, Fellaini, Pogba, Lingard, Lukaku, Sanchez
    Subs: Grant, Bailly, Darmian, Fred, Mata, McTominay, Martial

As expected the only change is Young in for Shaw.

J_XO

Hope we aren’t playing with the red shirt and white shorts :nono: things could get ugly in this game but I didn’t expect it to be this

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Marouane Fellaini image Marouane Fellaini 39% of 668 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 451 ratings.

Score Predictions